View Full Version : $225.00 ticket on Star Wars Series leg...

CARoperPhotography
03-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Just wanted to forewarn any cachers coming to the area to do the Star Wars run.... I had to disable a leg of the off-road section for the time being. I went out this morning to do some cache repair on two of the caches on the leg of the series on Government Road and didn't see the "Road Closed" sign at the start of the road and was pulled over by two National Forrest Service rangers and given a $225.00 ticket to pay. They did tell me that the road will be open to motor vehicle traffic later this spring and that foot traffic is always ok on the road. The caches are still there for the most part so feel free to log finds but I am keeping the listings disabled for the time being until the road opens up again.

Gob-ler
03-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Ouch! That hurts!

CARoperPhotography
03-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Yup. The government for you. And as someone else pointed out to me, if the road was closed to motor vehicle traffic, why were the forest rangers driving their big SUV on the road? ha ha

The sad thing is, if they would have simply repaired the gate, they wouldn't of had to worry about anyone using a motor vehicle on the road, and paying two Federal Law Enforcement officers to patrol the three mile long stretch of road! But, logic seems to go against what the Government wants to do as we all know.

Oh well, better me getting a ticket for it than another cacher. I would feel terrible if someone went down that road looking for caches that I had placed, and got a $225.00 ticket! But I have disabled the caches on that stretch and stated why in the log.

Ekidokai
03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Can you fight the fine? It would seem that if the road was not properly shut off or signed.

CARoperPhotography
03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Well it was marked with a little sign that I did not see. The one ranger said that he didn't believe that I didn't see it. Whatever. It's the government and they can go to hell

brdad
03-13-2010, 04:40 PM
It seems like if you have permission to hide caches on federally regulated land, they would give you some leeway? I guess they could say you could have walked or biked it to maintain the caches. That's a chunk of change.

CARoperPhotography
03-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah it's not a national park and they didn't care about caches being there. I even showed them my bag of caches. They both knew what Geocaching was. The whole area isn't marked very well as Federal land with some roads open some gated closed. Everyone out there uses the roads especially for ATVs etc. In fact thy stopped two right after me as I was pulling away

Mainiac1957
03-13-2010, 05:48 PM
I am sorry to hear of that bad news.:mad:Jake and I talked Hiram into driving down that road last Saturday. We saw two trucks parked along the side so we figured the sign might have been old. That would have made for an expensive day of caching. :eek:

CARoperPhotography
03-13-2010, 10:39 PM
I'd rather it be me, the cache owner/placer who got the fine and not one you all! Interestingly enough, many cachers past down those roads today as well making finds and none yet have made mention of being pulled over and fined by the National Forest Service although in one log, one cacher mentions coming across two "rangers" and having a good time talking about caching with the "rangers" etc etc. I betcha those are the same two *******s who screwed me.

Waterski
03-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Should these caches be disabled until the road opens up again to save people the same problem?

brdad
03-13-2010, 11:30 PM
He said he has disabled them. Of course, that only stops a percentage of cachers from proceeding - the rest (those that have old data or are willing to take a chance anyway) may not be as lucky. Not much can be done about those people!

CARoperPhotography
03-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Yes I disabled the caches on that leg. I thought about changing the listing to say that they should be only attempted on foot while the road was closed but then decided to error on caution and try to prevent people from their own stupidity :-) Then again, several groups of cachers did drive through the road today and hit many of my disabled caches and did not have any run ins with the National Forest Service jerk faces.

darterkitfox
03-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Well in my log on Storm Troopers cache on December 25th, I mentioned that a sign had been put up that the road was closed to motorized traffic so I'm surprised that the over two dozen people that have been there since didn't get stopped. We were warned by a guy on a 4 wheeler that day. We continued on anyway. From the fresh tracks in the snow, all those signs were put up either on December 24th or 25th, although why government workers would be out on Christmas I couldn't guess.

CARoperPhotography
03-14-2010, 08:20 PM
I do recall your log, but to be honest, since so many cachers go through there every week, I didn't think much of it.

CARoperPhotography
03-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh, TeamRamos from Brewer got nailed with a $225.00 fine as well yesterday on the road.

firefighterjake
03-15-2010, 08:15 AM
I am sorry to hear of that bad news.:mad:Jake and I talked Hiram into driving down that road last Saturday. We saw two trucks parked along the side so we figured the sign might have been old. That would have made for an expensive day of caching. :eek:

Actually to tell the truth we didn't so much talk Hiram into driving down the road as we used the Force on Hiram . . .

"This is not the sign you are looking for . . . Move along Hiram. There is nothing to see here." ;):D

firefighterjake
03-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Hmmm . . . based on the vehicles we saw and the relatively fresh tire tracks I would guess the Forest Service could net themselves a nice chunk of change by just patrolling there every weekend.

Don't worry though . . . in a few weeks they'll be pretty busy with wildfire season. ;)

firefighterjake
03-15-2010, 08:23 AM
By the way CarRoper . . . did Hiram ever post pictures of the day's adventure . . . we took several pics of the day with "Firefighter Skywalker", Obi Wan Manicobi, Hiram Solo and R2D2 . . . I even had props.

Mapachi
03-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Well it was marked with a little sign that I did not see. The one ranger said that he didn't believe that I didn't see it. Whatever. It's the government and they can go to hell

They already are, and in a hand-bucket, to boot!

88seriesiii
03-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Reading the title, I though someone won a scratch ticket left in a cache.. Too bad it was not the case.. $225.00 right off & no warning ,with no prior offenses? Ouch..

I've been in that situation many years ago in the past , but I deserved it since I (we) disregared the "Authorized vehcile only" sign, since everyone else did too. We just got caught, not the others before us...

Something has brough that area to thier scrutiny?

That could have bought you a new winch cable or something more useful

fins2right
03-15-2010, 12:51 PM
At the risk of sounding completely foolish (a problem I deal with daily) Where is this series located? I couldn't find it on a GC search and it sounds like it would be fun this spring. Thanks!

anniebananie
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
If I remember correctly isn't the Fed's field office right at the southern terminus of the trail/road?

Anniebananie

Ekidokai
03-15-2010, 01:55 PM
At the risk of sounding completely foolish (a problem I deal with daily) Where is this series located? I couldn't find it on a GC search and it sounds like it would be fun this spring. Thanks!

Go to his profile and look at his hides.

You can then use the "along a route" and filter out just his finds to see the interesting pattern.

fins2right
03-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Go to his profile and look at his hides.

You can then use the "along a route" and filter out just his finds to see the interesting pattern.

I figured it out! :rolleyes: CARoperPhotography is NOT his geocaching name. Seriously folks, I'm an idiot. And I carry a gun everyday. Sigh. :D:D:D

JustKev
03-15-2010, 06:17 PM
I figured it out! :rolleyes: CARoperPhotography is NOT his geocaching name. Seriously folks, I'm an idiot. And I carry a gun everyday. Sigh. :D:D:D

Before we go on, do you carry just one bullet in your shirt pocket?

fins2right
03-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Before we go on, do you carry just one bullet in your shirt pocket?

Thats all they give me, and I'm saving it for myself. :D:D:D Seriously, I'm excited now. I'm not sure why I did not know this run existed. Somehow I must have missed it in the SMR hallabaloo. My wife and I are planning the run. We are going to wait until the federal cops have something better to do. (Fed cops get better retirement and more pay. I'm not working for them why????) Whoo Hooo!

Ekidokai
03-15-2010, 10:19 PM
That sounds fun. I have to make plans for that series too.