View Full Version : It's Spring!

WhereRWe?
03-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Although we had snow in my area today, it's SPRING, and time to get out an do your cache maintenance. (And my comments are intended for "regular" caches, which usually has something in them.)

Caches accumulate water over the winter and usually need to be dried out. Also - the cache logs are usually damp/wet, and should be replaced. Clean out any rusty metal items, and refill the cache with "swag".

I like to encourage "caching with kids", so I try and make sure that our caches contain stuff that kids would like.

:D:D

brdad
03-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Ah yes, Spring, “otherwise known to Al Gore as proof of global warming.” - Bill Clinton

My caches do well over the Winter but am hoping to check on them in the near future anyway. Of anyone wants to do Halfmile as a group maybe we can work out a date sometime.

cano
03-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Although we had snow in my area today, it's SPRING, and time to get out an do your cache maintenance. (And my comments are intended for "regular" caches, which usually has something in them.)

Caches accumulate water over the winter and usually need to be dried out. Also - the cache logs are usually damp/wet, and should be replaced. Clean out any rusty metal items, and refill the cache with "swag".

I like to encourage "caching with kids", so I try and make sure that our caches contain stuff that kids would like.

:D:D

What's happened with winter? I don't remember caching in a snow this winter.

WhereRWe?
03-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Ah yes, Spring, “otherwise known to Al Gore as proof of global warming.” - Bill Clinton

Sheesh! I was going to mention that, but as I've advocated for YEARS about keeping politics out of the GeocachingMaine.org forums, I decided against it. LOL!

FIE, FIE!!! :p:p

brdad
03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Sheesh! I was going to mention that, but as I've advocated for YEARS about keeping politics out of the GeocachingMaine.org forums, I decided against it. LOL!

FIE, FIE!!! :p:p

I figured neither Al nor Bill was a politician anymore, it can't be political. :rolleyes:

JustKev
03-21-2010, 08:45 PM
I figured neither Al nor Bill was a politician anymore, it can't be political. :rolleyes:

They weren't politicians before, just modern day Mutt and Jeff who got into the White House accidentally.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Ekidokai
03-22-2010, 12:19 AM

My caches do well over the Winter but am hoping to check on them in the near future anyway. Of anyone wants to do Halfmile as a group maybe we can work out a date sometime.

I don't usually date outside my species but if Missteelee goes along, I'm game.

JustKev
03-22-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't usually date outside my species but if Missteelee goes along, I'm game.

And here I thought you were the last of your kind.......

fins2right
03-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Next sunday is the "Cache Trash" run at my house. I check all of my caches, even the nano's and replace anything that needs to be replaced. It usually takes about 2 hours, but is an important part of my game.

WhereRWe?
03-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Next sunday is the "Cache Trash" run at my house. I check all of my caches, even the nano's and replace anything that needs to be replaced. It usually takes about 2 hours, but is an important part of my game.

Thanks! I've seen too many caches that obviously haven't been cleaned in years. Wet, dirty, rusty junk, logs turned to wet mush...

An a reminder to all cachers - make sure the container is CLOSED before you replace it! LOL!

Ekidokai
03-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks! I've seen too many caches that obviously haven't been cleaned in years. Wet, dirty, rusty junk, logs turned to wet mush...

An a reminder to all cachers - make sure the container is CLOSED before you replace it! LOL!

Yes please do. I checked on the final for the BCF Adventure and the top of the ammo box was just sitting on top and everything was wet and yucky. Everything is better now. Just waiting on circumstances to be right to reactivate it.

JustKev
03-23-2010, 08:45 AM
We've found a few that appear to have been place by cachers who may not be active in caching anymore. Aside from replacing the occasional log that's all mush, would it be appropriate to replace the container if one had a similar and had the inclination to do so? Broken containers with wet contents seem to result in more wet contents if you just take the wet stuff out, has anyone else noticed that? :)

WhereRWe?
03-23-2010, 09:03 AM
We've found a few that appear to have been place by cachers who may not be active in caching anymore. Aside from replacing the occasional log that's all mush, would it be appropriate to replace the container if one had a similar and had the inclination to do so? Broken containers with wet contents seem to result in more wet contents if you just take the wet stuff out, has anyone else noticed that? :)

Best procedure is to adopt the cache. If you want to adopt one, coordinate with the owner. TAT can fill in the procedural details that I've forgotten...

:confused::confused:

Ekidokai
03-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Think about it. You just got a GPSr. You find the site and go look for a cache. A broken, wet, crappy thing is all you find. Is this something that would keep your interest?

I do what I can to dry things out and leave good swag in there. If the hider is no longer active getting the cache fixed up or archived is a case by case basis.

brdad
03-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Think about it. You just got a GPSr. You find the site and go look for a cache. A broken, wet, crappy thing is all you find. Is this something that would keep your interest?

That's exactly what I feel when I find a cache that was placed with little or no perceivable purpose. So now I just have to ask myself as a new cacher would I rather find a cache with no perceivable purpose, or one that was wet and broken.... In either case, I would be hoping that they were not all like that!

Ekidokai
03-23-2010, 01:06 PM
The adventure is all I need for finding a hide.

Your experience with a cache is just that, an experience.

We as free willed, thinking beings are what place significance on a hide. A hide is neither significant or not. An experience is neither good or bad, significant or not. What we make of the experience is where the significance, importance, beauty comes from.

Each time I go out, it is a new adventure. How lucky am I to be able to figure out where and how to get the information needed to find the cache.

Purpose, significance, importance, It's so sad if a person losses the sense of wonderment and ability to see fun.

pm28570
03-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Ekidokai and Brdad make some very valid points. In the past, I've replaced a container when the cover was missing, exposing it to the elements. Notified the CO and never received an acknowledgment or a thank you. However, the next person to find it found it in good condition, which was my intent.

Hmmm, reminds of the phrase I often use.....responsible cacher.

JustKev
03-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Which is exactly why we have been replacing logs as we find them wet or full. We look at things as if we had our granddaughter along with us. Will she enjoy the cache as placed, with what's in it and can she sign the log. We aren't set up to replace containers as yet, especially if they're some with camo duct tape on them. What we have available for camo duct tape is what we're using for our caches. Containers, same thing. We're using them of caches we want to place. I hesitate to go out and buy a boadload of Glad containers because our experience with them, thus far, is that they're substandard for our climate. Ultimately, I suppose a note to tat explaining the condition of the cache and attempts to the CO would be the way to go next? If it's disabled or archived, maybe a new cacher won't be discouraged by a cache that's ready to be retired.

JustPJ66
03-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Perhaps one of your fine upstanding gentlemen ...or what ever....would write an article explaining how a cache is adopted and posted it here...That would be a great help as we seem to have run into several caches of the abandoned type this year.

JustKev
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
boadload = boatload

And the caches we would be willing to adopt would be ones we could maintain, but a sticky might help others who would adopt caches they've found.

Ekidokai
03-23-2010, 01:16 PM
In some rare situations, a geocache is no longer able to be maintained by the owner. A geocache adoption can be processed using the Geocaching Adoption Service without intervention from Groundspeak.
Steps for transferring ownership of a geocache:
The current cache owner logs in and visits:
http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/ (http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/)
Enter the waypoint (GCXXX) and click 'Lookup.'
Enter the username of the new owner and click 'Go.'
Click on 'Send Adoption Request.'
The new cache owner will receive an email. They should log in to the site and follow the adoption instructions provided.
If the original geocache owner is inactive on our site and/or will not use the Geocaching Adoption Service, the interested new party must ask the original cache owner to give Groundspeak written permission. The owner should inform us at contact@geocaching.com (contact@geocaching.com) from their Geocaching email account that this cache can be adopted to the new party with their permission. If the cache owner is unresponsive and the cache needs attention, you may write a Needs Maintenance log or a Needs Archived log to the cache page, as appropriate.
Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner. Individual geocaches are owned by the person(s) who physically placed the geocache and/or submitted the geocache listing to geocaching.com.
Grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool on the website nor Groundspeak will be able to make the transfer for Virtual, Webcam or Locationless caches. Archived caches cannot be transferred, either.
Many thanks to Volunteer Cache Reviewer Keystone for initially writing this article.

JustPJ66
03-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks... I appreciate that.

JustKev
03-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Me too. Thanks for posting.

Ekidokai
03-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Your welcome, now stop fighting.

hollora
03-23-2010, 06:33 PM
And a thought. I experienced this in my first caching year. Found a cache which was a mess. Sent the owner a message offering to adopt it. They agreed and followed the procedure so I could adopt the cache (and it was one of the first ones put out in Maine). Left the original cache owners name on it and added adopted by.......

After I adopted it, I got an email from a relative of the land owner (the relative is/was a geocacher). Permission had NEVER been obtained or granted for the cache placement. It was on private land off a power line. AND they wanted it removed and gone.

After a lot of negotiation they agreed to let it remain if it was moved a bit. I replaced the container, moved the cache and reworded the cache description to accomodate the landowners request. The cache remained with no problems for about another year. Then the landowner decided to clear cut the land and their nephew (who is/was a geocacher) removed the container and sent me an email.

I tried to make numerous arrangements to get the container back with no luck. It ended up being archived anyway.