View Full Version : How do you log your finds?

cano
03-21-2010, 07:19 PM
How do you keep track of your finds and DNFs during your trip? How do you log them when returned home? Do you log them on site? How would you like if every cache was equipped with QR code which would bring you directly to the log page?

brdad
03-21-2010, 07:44 PM
On shorter trips when I know which caches i am likely to do I print out a GSAK page of the caches. Then I just number them in the order I do them and jot down what I took and left and anything else I need to remember. When I don't know where I am going or on long trips I just jot the GCID and any notes in the order I do them. I have seen people take pictures of their log in the logbook for a permanent record.

I don't use my cell phone for anything but phone, in fact I try to pretend I don't have one. So I doubt I would bother with QR code logging. I think QR code logging would lead to even shorter and repetitive logs.

However, if caches were required to have QR codes on the outside of the box and in the logbook, it might make it easier for land managers and authorities identify caches and cache owners.

WhereRWe?
03-21-2010, 08:10 PM
How do you keep track of your finds and DNFs during your trip?

I have CacheMate on the PDA - works very well. When I get home, I log them and delete each find/DNF from the PDA as I log them.

:D:D

pm28570
03-21-2010, 08:12 PM
In so much that I don't do numbers runs (no opinion one way or another, just haven't done it) but "just go caching", if I do several, I just jot down the cache name and log them later on on my laptop. I choose not to log them via smart-phone technology, however I do log them in the order found. I generally, but not always, try to write an interesting log and one that reflects my thoughts and experience of that cache. Doesn't alway happen, but I try. At some point I'm sure I'll do a larger number in one day, so we'll see if I resort to "serial logging" :).

Part of the enjoyment I get from caching is logging back into the cache page, writing the log and perhaps dropping a coin in for tracking. While a QR code would make it easier for some, I doubt I would use it.

WhereRWe?
03-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Sheesh! I admit my ignorance, but since 2 people have mentioned a "QR code", and I am oblivious, please explain! :confused::confused:

brdad
03-21-2010, 08:22 PM
A QR code is basically a hybrid bar code, which can contain a lot of information in a small image, over 4000 alphanumeric characters. These can be read by many cell phones with built in cameras.

Sample barcode encodes the text "ABCDEFGH01234567"
http://www.blitztools.com/barcode-knowhow/qr.png

Ekidokai
03-21-2010, 08:24 PM
When I go out my GPSr keeps track of the ones I have found. GSAK takes care of the rest. QR code would do most of us no good.

Haffy
03-21-2010, 08:26 PM
A QR code is basically a hybrid bar code, which can contain a lot of information in a small image, over 4000 alphanumeric characters. These can be read by many cell phones with built in cameras.

Sample barcode encodes the text "ABCDEFGH01234567"
http://www.blitztools.com/barcode-knowhow/qr.png

How do you read them?

pjpreb
03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
We usually mix a delightful adult beverage and review our PDA to post our finds. We have noted trades on the PDA and also on a notepad. Depends on how big a cache run it was. When we did the stud mill road, it was a 3 or 4 beer endeavor in front of a campfire with a preprinted spreadsheet (Thankd Barefoot!) that we used for tracking and notes. Each of our finds on the SMR had a unique post. :)

Ekidokai
03-21-2010, 08:31 PM
How do you read them?

From right to left, bottom to the middle and back down again. the crap at the top is nothing.

brdad
03-21-2010, 08:31 PM
How do you read them?

If you google QR code decoder you will find a few links to do it online.

cano
03-21-2010, 08:32 PM
How do you read them?

There are plenty of sites where you can generate one. Or you can use Google chart API to hotlink to a QR code

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?chs=150x150&cht=qr&chl=www.google.com&choe=UTF-8

cano
03-21-2010, 08:34 PM
How do you read them?

Using your cell phone.

JustKev
03-21-2010, 08:37 PM
We usually mix a delightful adult beverage and review our PDA to post our finds. We have noted trades on the PDA and also on a notepad. Depends on how big a cache run it was. When we did the stud mill road, it was a 3 or 4 beer endeavor in front of a campfire with a preprinted spreadsheet (Thankd Barefoot!) that we used for tracking and notes. Each of our finds on the SMR had a unique post. :)

Is this a spreadsheet one could use with Office 2007? Is it one that's shareable with other novice cachers?

JustKev
03-21-2010, 08:40 PM
We generally try to log our finds in a paper log that we created for our own use. It's all done by hand, lines drawn for columns, etc. We can then refer to our notes when we log back at home or where ever we can log on with the laptop. It'd be neat to be able to put them in a spreadsheet on the laptop that we could refer to when ever we wanted.

cano
03-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Sheesh! I admit my ignorance, but since 2 people have mentioned a "QR code", and I am oblivious, please explain! :confused::confused:

QR codes are 2 dimensional bar codes designed specifically to be read by low quality cell phone camera with low processing power. QR codes can store various number of data and are readable even if part of the code is damaged or missing. Most common use is in print media where you want your customers to direct to a web page with more information.

QR code puzzle geocaches are also very popular :)

Ekidokai
03-22-2010, 12:21 AM
QR codes are 2 dimensional bar codes designed specifically to be read by low quality cell phone camera with low processing power. QR codes can store various number of data and are readable even if part of the code is damaged or missing. Most common use is in print media where you want your customers to direct to a web page with more information.

QR code puzzle geocaches are also very popular :)

No, they are not!

firefighterjake
03-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Old school here . . . I keep a notebook with me . . . I write down the name of the cache and often jot down a few notes for memorable caches such as caches where I liked the view, caches that were clever or caches where Hiram tries to kill me by sending a large rock crashing down towards me.

benandtina
03-22-2010, 10:25 AM
We are not Green Geocachers :( We are only 93% paperless. Our Garmin stores all of the cache descriptions and hints in the state and we can search by GC code, but we do our planning the old fashion way. Before going on a caching trip I make an index card listing the GC codes for the caches we plan to visit, in order. I like using index cards because they fit in my pocket but are big enough for notes about each cache and codes for trackables we discover.

Ben enjoys logging our finds because it usually means he can tell the world what a chicken I am ("Tina refused to go near the edge of the cliff", "The eleventy billion feet of snow made Tina nervous", "Tina thought the antenna of a nearby radio was a bomb", "Tina thought we were lost in the woods and going to be eaten by a bear", etc.), so the time spent logging our finds is usually pretty entertaining.

fins2right
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
I try and do it from memory. I know which caches I have put into the Garmin using the Map section on GC then at the end of the day or the next day I go back to the Map and log them in the order I found them. For some reason, it drives me nuts if I go out of order while logging.

brdad
03-22-2010, 12:29 PM
For some reason, it drives me nuts if I go out of order while logging.

On 3 or 4 occasions I have copied 30 or more logs to notepad, deleted those logs, and then re-logged them to get all my finds in the correct order.

pm28570
03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
How do you keep track of your finds and DNFs during your trip? How do you log them when returned home? Do you log them on site? How would you like if every cache was equipped with QR code which would bring you directly to the log page?

Great thread, Michal. Thanks for starting it.

Gob-ler
03-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I do it all on the Oregon GPS. The only paper I use besides toilet paper is a list of some sort if I am headed out for more than one or two in a specific order.

So as you can see, I will never be completely paperless! TP Rules!

Mainiac1957
03-22-2010, 07:13 PM
As of late I use the itinerary feature on my Tomtom to take me around. There is a GSAK macro where I can plan it on my laptop. First I look in the area I plan to cache in on Mapsource or Street Atlas. The put them in the order to be the most efficient on the drive. Then using that macro I load it to the Tomtom. I now use my ipod touch with Geosphere for the paperless cache descriptions. It has the capability to do field notes and send them straight to GC.com. I still prefer to do my logs offline on GSAK and them send them to GC.com. I too however am a little fussy about logging caches in the order I find them. It's not even about milestones anymore as much as just order. I just started using the touch after many years of Cachemate on the Palm Zire 71. Some day I may go to the Oregon, but for now the Map 60 csx does just fine.