View Full Version : How come no one has gotten this one yet?

JustKev
03-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Now, someone please tell me why there's been no FTF on this on from you guys up in the Bangor area? brdad? Ekidokai? Where you guys been that this one is so old and no FTF log?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6da91a38-1c86-4437-a3dc-71af4297aee9

brdad
03-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I've already found it, I am just waiting for someone to try and be FTF and realize they're not. Ok, just kidding... :p

Actually, I have not even been out to address the situation yet and see what my options are. But I plan to.

Haffy
03-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Looks like a chainsaw might solve the dilema...lol

Ekidokai
03-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Because I don't like heights. Because I'm fat and carrying the ropes big enough to accomplish this cache would be too heavy to lug up the trail. Because I hate heights. Because it is hard for a fat guy to get to. Because I'm not sure the tree could hold me.

Why haven't you done it yet?

cano
03-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Because I don't like heights. Because I'm fat and carrying the ropes big enough to accomplish this cache would be too heavy to lug up the trail. Because I hate heights. Because it is hard for a fat guy to get to. Because I'm not sure the tree could hold me.

Why haven't you done it yet?

Because I don't own a trained monkey. If a group decides to go for it, is it OK for other members of the group to sign the log without climbing up?

JustPJ66
03-22-2010, 04:24 PM
This one might as well be on the space shuttle ...I will never see the inside of that ammo can!!!

I dont do heights either!

masterson of the universe
03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
It's only 30 feet up in a tree. What if 6 or 7 of us went and took turns standing on each others shoulders while hugging the tree? It would look like the old Italian Festival I used to go to in Enfield, CT when I was a kid. There was a greased telephone pole with prizes cash not cache) at the very top and teams of 5 people would take turns trying to get up to the top. I think grabbing prizes would be easier than signing a log.

robt
03-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Now I am wondering if I can get pole gaffing gear from work and if it would work? :D:D:D:D

masterson of the universe
03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Somehow I'm guessing this one will first be visited by Frank. Can you snowshow up a tree?

Mainiac1957
03-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I think if Charron has anything to say then that may not happen. Especially if she needs to schlep the refreshments up the tree.:rolleyes:

EMSDanel
03-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I have to say, you'd have to be running pretty damned fast and keep your feet moving if you try to climb that tree with snowshoes. Frank might be the one to do it, but, oh darn....the snow is gone. It'll have to wait till next year.....

JustKev
03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I am too old to try that.....would have in my younger years.

4ccnhikers
03-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow! :eek: And I thought the "Groleau" hidden at a remote lake in Canada accessible only by float plane was way out of the way! We've enjoyed a lot of Groleau's caches, but I think we'll have to pass on this one, too.:)

oneday
03-23-2010, 05:24 PM
I am relatively young and relatively crazy and won't try this one without the appropriate gear (that I can't afford). I grew up climbing palm trees and knew that if I could get my arms around the trunk I could probably get it....nope. Short of ropes and gear the only way someone's gonna get this one without the ropes and gear is with an axe or lugging a ladder up the hill.

ps. I don't condone cutting the tree down to get the cache!! :D

JustPJ66
03-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Dont they call that selective cutting? LOL

dubord207
03-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Husquvarna 371! So many trees, so little time.......Actually, if any of you have done Laughing Terry's Whattatree cache you know that but for a busted up foot, he'd do that tree in a heartbeat. :D:D

Hiram357
03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
I am relatively young and relatively crazy and won't try this one without the appropriate gear (that I can't afford). I grew up climbing palm trees and knew that if I could get my arms around the trunk I could probably get it....nope. Short of ropes and gear the only way someone's gonna get this one without the ropes and gear is with an axe or lugging a ladder up the hill.

ps. I don't condone cutting the tree down to get the cache!! :D

well, i've got a ladder that will reach it... :D

avemery
03-23-2010, 10:08 PM
The race is on...or I have a teammate? I am headed after this one in the next day or two, waiting for the rain to stop!

hollora
03-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Got a Medic to go with you?

dubord207
03-24-2010, 06:51 AM
I'll send you a Power of Attorney so you can "sign me in.":D

The race is on...or I have a teammate? I am headed after this one in the next day or two, waiting for the rain to stop!

firefighterjake
03-24-2010, 07:57 AM

Better hurry . . . I showed this one to Dan this morning . . . who still insists he's going to put out a SCUBA cache sometime this year.

robt
03-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Dang and I am thinking about making a try at it after the event this weekend.... The only problem is I am short the assenders that I will need to make the attempt.... Anyone Game for a try on this cache on saturday?

LaughingTerry
03-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Husquvarna 371! So many trees, so little time.......Actually, if any of you have done Laughing Terry's Whattatree cache you know that but for a busted up foot, he'd do that tree in a heartbeat. :D:D

Once my foot heals I will head up there with a short piece of rope. That should do it. LOL I'll carry the Stihl for backup.

tat
03-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Success! Robt had everything from ropes to harness and gave me a crash course (no pun intended.). If you get a chance to do this, it's a lot of fun.

hollora
03-27-2010, 07:41 PM
I have seen TAT in action so I wouldn't be surprise if he had shinnied up the tree. Those Tiemen fellows are amazing with their appreciation for, knowledge of and experience in the outdoors. Can't wait to see that Ethan does when he grows up.........he is apt to be amazing!

Congrats on the FTF!

JustKev
03-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Well there, congrats are in order for this one, tat. That is a cache well found and logged.

vicbiker
03-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Success! Robt had everything from ropes to harness and gave me a crash course (no pun intended.). If you get a chance to do this, it's a lot of fun.Wish I could have gone with you on this one...sounds like it was a good time.

brdad
03-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Congrats on that. Definitely an FTF worthy of bragging about!

JustPJ66
03-28-2010, 06:36 AM
I sure hope there was a beer in this cache as a reward for you guys! Way to go. I wonder if you are feeling the after effects of the climb...I would be ...of course if i had climbed up there I would still be clinging to the tree and wimpering "I cant get down"!!!!!