View Full Version : Gulf Hagas

tat
05-23-2005, 09:47 PM
I was thinking of going up to Gulf Hagas over the long weekend, no caches there! ): and was wondering if anyone knows if the roads are passable yet. I will be comming from the south, so the Greenville road is preferable, but the KI road is the other option.

If anyone else wants to join up, just post a note here.

attroll
05-24-2005, 12:47 AM
I have never come in from the Greenville end. I have always come in through KI and have never had a problem from that end.

WhereRWe?
05-24-2005, 06:41 AM
We came through about this time last year and the road was TERRIBLE - very rutted up - even hard for a 4WD since the ruts were so deep (Greenville end, mostly).

We haven't been through since then, but if it were me, I'd wait a month or so.

tat
05-24-2005, 07:02 AM
I've turned back twice, once on each road. Both times were early in the season, but I don't remember how early.

d’76
05-24-2005, 07:47 AM
I was up to KI Saturday afternoon after the event. The Brownville end was fine. Have a great trip.

Dave

tat
05-30-2005, 08:14 PM
Just got back from Gulf Hagas. Both the road from Greenville and the road to KI are in great shape. There are a few places that were a little concerning with a car, but by going slow and easy it is no problem. The water is very high now and the sound is deafening. A highly recommended hike. There ought to be a cache!!

d’76
05-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey Tat,

Did you forge the river or enter the back way

Dave

tat
05-30-2005, 09:49 PM
The river was impassable. The gate keeper told me that some people had come the day before with dry suites intending to cross. They talked them out of it. Probably a good thing, one rip in those suites and they'd never come up.

I saw SUVs at either end with kayak racks! I wish I could have seen them going over Billings Falls. Must have been quite a sight.