View Full Version : FTF Prizes

JustPJ66
03-25-2010, 08:13 AM
I was wondering if any of you who put out alot of caches do something special for the FTF finder? By that I mean a special prize, congratulations email, post a notice in the cache listing? JustKev and I did with the 2 caches we have placed but wondering what others are doing.

brdad
03-25-2010, 10:33 AM
I've thought about it on every cache I have placed but have never given an FTF prize. My last cache placed I did leave an FTF coin which I picked up at a cache I was FTF at. I have less desire to leave an FTF prize now - I think early on many people added an FTF prize to entice someone to come do their new cache. When I started it was not unusual for a cache to sit around for a week or a month before anyone found it. Nowadays there are more people eager to race just for being FTF despite any prize. But, I say do what you feel like doing!

firefighterjake
03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
It's been awhile since I've put out a new cache -- as an aside I suppose I should do so at some point . . . especially since I have some ideas on where to place some new caches -- but I've never done any FTF prizes since experience has shown me that generally with most caches in any given area you will find one or two folks who are almost always the FTF . . . it's nothing against the FTF lovers . . . I would just rather not reward the same people over and over . . . but that's just me.

WhereRWe?
03-25-2010, 12:03 PM
but I've never done any FTF prizes since experience has shown me that generally with most caches in any given area you will find one or two folks who are almost always the FTF . . . it's nothing against the FTF lovers . . . I would just rather not reward the same people over and over . . . but that's just me.

Sheesh! Excellent point - I hadn't thought of it that way, but very true! :D:D

Ekidokai
03-25-2010, 05:24 PM
I have put unactivated coins and certificates in some.

Gob-ler
03-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Having found more than a few FTF's I have seen a variety of different things relative to FTF prizes.

I do have an interest in coins and usually when a coin is left I will retrieve the FTF prize unless it is something I already have. Many FTF gifts that have been left I will leave for someone else. Some of the coffee cards were really nice too.

I think I even took a FFJ ladder for one of those FTF prizes once way back when.

Actually, the FTF prizes will make no difference at all when it comes to who will go for your cache. What I do like is when you pop open a cache (ammo cans rule!) and find a well stocked cache. Those are becoming more and more a rarity.

Cache on!

JustPJ66
03-25-2010, 07:15 PM
For our first cache we had a nintendo DS game (used) , radio, flashlight, and a whloe bunch of little things too.

I like the idea of coins or coffee cards too.

I also made a point to email the FTF person and congratulate them, in addition to adding a note to the cache discription.

I am enjoying reading what other of you are doing tho. Thanks for the replies ....

CARoperPhotography
03-25-2010, 08:06 PM
I have put way too many FTF prizes in my caches.... I am not doing it anymore because I simply cannot afford it, and it all goes to Marcipanek! ha ha

hollora
03-25-2010, 09:21 PM
I have used coins, pins, buttons and even little certificates. A lot depends on the size of the container for me. Sometimes Iput it in the description - sometimes not.

As for would I run the announced prize......it would not make a difference to me.

Hiram357
03-25-2010, 09:26 PM
If anyone puts beer in a cache as a FTF prize, be sure to email me the coords before it gets published! heck ya probably just need to tell me the general area and I'll be able to smell my way to the cache... :D:D:D

4ccnhikers
03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
When we put our first Sears Island caches out, I happened to have a bunch of new TB dog tags on hand, so those became FTF prizes. It wasn't so much to entice people to our caches, as to just be a nice surprise. With our later caches, I put a prize in some, and not others. I like the idea of sending the FTFer an email, like somebody mentioned, but I never thought of that! I do make mention of it on the cache description page, though.

CARoperPhotography
03-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Marcipanek had beer as FTF prize in one and a sampler pack of Absinthe from the Czech Republic in another. Needless to say, I found both FTF :-)

firefighterjake
03-26-2010, 08:27 AM
If anyone puts beer in a cache as a FTF prize, be sure to email me the coords before it gets published! heck ya probably just need to tell me the general area and I'll be able to smell my way to the cache... :D:D:D

. . . Just make sure you have a sign on it that indicates whether the beer is poisoned or not. ;) :)

JustPJ66
03-26-2010, 08:53 AM
yes and be sure to lable it as over 21 years old cache only

Mapachi
03-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Most often, but not always; I put a FTF prize in a cache. Some times a unregistered Geo-coin or TB tags. Sometimes something more if I'm in the mood. I just placed a Nintendo Game Boy Advance, video game system and three games in a cache that will be coming out soon. I have left a Palm Pilot in a cache before (A Palm Tree In Maine)! Sometimes I'll place something like that in a cache and the FTF doesn't want the FTF prize and leaves it for someone else. I have passed on FTF prizes before.

darterkitfox
04-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I left a Western Union $5 check made out to cash in our first cache. Although it wasn't required, I hoped that it be given to charity. I think Gob-ler got that one.

dubord207
04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I put a Rolex in one of the 111 caches we put out in the Liberty area that were found today. Lots of "serial logs" and no mention whatsoever of the many goodies and trackables we put in these caches. Guess that part of it was a waste of effort?

Gob-ler
04-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Darterkitfox - I left that for second to find.

pm28570
04-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I put a Rolex in one of the 111 caches we put out in the Liberty area that were found today. Lots of "serial logs" and no mention whatsoever of the many goodies and trackables we put in these caches. Guess that part of it was a waste of effort?

Haven't looked at the logs yet, but disappointed to hear that.

firefighterjake
04-02-2010, 08:07 AM

Geez Dan . . . that's a whole lot of McToys that someone will have to leave behind to make the trade equal and fair. ;):D

Mapachi
04-02-2010, 09:04 AM

OK, Here is my two cents worth. We four cachers put a lot of thought, planning, cache making, driving, and computer work into this Power Run. Special Kudos to shuman road searchers for the idea in the first place! A power run done by four cachers. (it enables each of us to get at least 75 caches!) Also a big thanks to TAT who knew of this a long time ago and helped us a lot along the way to getting them all published together on the same day. March 31st was like Christmas eve for us!:p
I know it is a big let down to sit at the "pute" waiting to read the logs on a series you have put out, only to find each log exactly the same as the one before, because it was "copy and pasted" with no comment to the individuality of each cache.:eek:
I also know how difficult it is to log in more then a hundred cache finds!
There is a happy medium. I "copy and paste" as well, but I also try to add at least a small comment at the end of the "copy and paste" that is germaine to that particular cache. Even if it's only something like "Lots of cool swag in this cache..WOW!" It just makes the cache placer feel it's been worth it. I mean, after all, it is one of the reasons cachers place caches...to read the logs.:D
It could be worse. A lot of cachers find a cache and log...TFTCSL
That's the pits for me......just TFTCSL and nothing else. Bummer man.
To be fair, some of the FTF logs on this run did have small comments added at the end and that was appreciated. Also moxieh's log on the FTF gift of the Nintendo Game Boy Advance was really cool! I could almost hear the joy!:):)
All in all I'm pleased and look forward to future logs. These are placed in a nice area of Maine and a lot of people should enjoy themseves here.;)

firefighterjake
04-02-2010, 01:11 PM
OK, Here is my two cents worth. We four cachers put a lot of thought, planning, cache making, driving, and computer work into this Power Run. Special Kudos to shuman road searchers for the idea in the first place! A power run done by four cachers. (it enables each of us to get at least 75 caches!) Also a big thanks to TAT who knew of this a long time ago and helped us a lot along the way to getting them all published together on the same day. March 31st was like Christmas eve for us!:p
I know it is a big let down to sit at the "pute" waiting to read the logs on a series you have put out, only to find each log exactly the same as the one before, because it was "copy and pasted" with no comment to the individuality of each cache.:eek:
I also know how difficult it is to log in more then a hundred cache finds!
There is a happy medium. I "copy and paste" as well, but I also try to add at least a small comment at the end of the "copy and paste" that is germaine to that particular cache. . . .;)

Copy and paste . . . nah, not for me . . . I figure anyone who took the time to put out a cache deserves a real log entry . . . and that's why I took the time on the Stud Mill Road to write a bit about the cacher if I knew them . . . and on the Star Wars caches I took the time to write a little about our adventures along the way or a little about the movies . . . i.e. I wrote about posing in my Jedi outfit I made . . . or how Brad and Hiram seemed to think I was a real Star Wars geek since I knew quite a bit of the SW references (for the record I am not a SW geek).

Sure, some of the caches are a challenge and the log entry may be a bit blaise . . . it's hard to stay creative when you're working on #87 and every tree begins to look the same . . . but I still steadfastly refuse to just do the cut and paste since I know it annoys the hell out of me when folks on a cache outing do the same to me when I've placed out what I think are some caches in nice places or with a historical story . . . and all I read is "Cache 7 out of 15 for the day. Yeah for me, another Smiley."

So that's my promise to you Mapachi . . . no cut and paste logs when I go Car Shopping . . . perhaps as early as tomorrow.

pjpreb
04-03-2010, 08:41 AM
We logged unique posts to the caches we found on the Stud Mill Rd. We had so much fun riding that dusty road and singing Beatles tunes with our friends :)

dubord207
04-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Haven't seen any posts yet that would make me want to go out and do this again. I did 19 of them today, all different, and all worthy of a comment or two. I guess it comes down to whether the finder has ever placed a cache. If you have, then you can appreciate something more then " Easy Find, TFTC." Why not just an "F" for "Found" . Wouldn't that be easier?. I think I'm beginning to understand why brad disfavors this, while maybe not for the same reasons!:confused:

brdad
04-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Haven't seen any posts yet that would make me want to go out and do this again. I did 19 of them today, all different, and all worthy of a comment or two. I guess it comes down to whether the finder has ever placed a cache. If you have, then you can appreciate something more then " Easy Find, TFTC." Why not just an "F" for "Found" . Wouldn't that be easier?. I think I'm beginning to understand why brad disfavors this, while maybe not for the same reasons!:confused:

Careful, once you step over to the dark side you are branded for life. :D

On a couple occasions, I have posted only a :) to a cache log. It is a little rough, but if the cache only means another number to me then that :) is worth 1000 words. Very few caches meet that criteria, most any of them deserve some mention. And some people are just not writers, so you can excuse a log or two. But it's too bad when there is a decent cache and there is less than 30 words between the first 10 logs. It used to be logs might help determine how good a cache was, that is getting to be less true.

I wish there was an easy answer...

pm28570
04-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Interesting Dan. You know, I really enjoy getting that email when someone has logged a find on one of mine and the better the log, the more enjoyment I get. I have found that for the most part, the better the cache (despite whether it's a GRC or a hike), the better the log. My Bennett/Wilson cache has generated some nice logs. So has a simple GRC, "Every Park and Ride....", only because it probably is the only GRC that one has to bushwhack as the cache is retrieved. Great comments Dan.

dubord207
04-04-2010, 06:58 AM
I agree 100% that the type, nature, and quality of a cache dictates how I log my finds but using the Golden Rule that was drilled into my head by both my parents and the nuns during the formative years, I try to anticipate what a cache placer will think about my posts before I hit the "submit" button. Our clear intent with these new caches was to distinguish them in a dramatic way from the other 2 big series we have in Maine. ( And I thoroughly enjoyed both series and did very little serial logging) Most will agree that we have but the serial loggers are predominating which means either we failed in the mission or that the average cacher cares about numbers only. Or it could be, some cachers just can't type more then 4 letters a minute. I don't know but maybe more people ought to put out a few caches so they can experience both the satisfaction of reading the logs expressing the fun this game is suppposed to bring or logs that really are a waste of band width and leave the cache placer wondering whether the finder actually enjoyed the hide.

Interesting Dan. You know, I really enjoy getting that email when someone has logged a find on one of mine and the better the log, the more enjoyment I get. I have found that for the most part, the better the cache (despite whether it's a GRC or a hike), the better the log. My Bennett/Wilson cache has generated some nice logs. So has a simple GRC, "Every Park and Ride....", only because it probably is the only GRC that one has to bushwhack as the cache is retrieved. Great comments Dan.

JustPJ66
04-04-2010, 07:29 AM
I don't know but maybe more people ought to put out a few caches so they can experience both the satisfaction of reading the logs expressing the fun this game is suppposed to bring or logs that really are a waste of band width and leave the cache placer wondering whether the finder actually enjoyed the hide.

This is very true. Prior to actually planning, researching, and placing a couple of caches our logs perhaps were not very detailed or discriptive as they are now. But although I really enjoy reading the logs people place on my caches I think the thing that impressed me the most was when a cache owner (fins-up) emailed us to say how much he enjoyed reading our logs on the spectical pond series we did. The couple of moments out of his day he took to do that has encouraged me to 1. write better logs, and 2. to know cache owners ACTUALLY do read all the logs. We have found so many caches which appear to be unmaintained and the cache owners havent logged on for years that after a few of those a new cacher tends to wonder if they are writing these for nothing.

Dont loose heart....after the "number" getters are done with this current run people who truely love the caching experience will go out and you will be getting better logs. At least that is what I hope.

I for one (who has yet to do this series) am very gratefull for the time and effort you folks ALL did to put this together.

Thank you

shuman road searchers
04-04-2010, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=

I for one (who has yet to do this series) am very gratefull for the time and effort you folks ALL did to put this together.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

:D:D Thank you!!:D:D

JustKev
04-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Having placed a cache of my own and then getting the e-mail notifications associated with just that one cache I can see where a power run of caches getting logged would be a massive impact. I think I'd lean toward using a mail checking program and deleting the mail from the server undownloaded (new word?). The logs will still be on the cache listing and my e-mail program wouldn't be bombarded. I use "Mailwasher Free". Works well.

mipster
04-04-2010, 09:39 AM
I have not put anything special in my caches. I agree with firefighterjake and brdad. For a while there, that was the problem in Downeast, ME. I do put in neat stuff to get started and hope that they don't get filled up with junk after a while. I also try to check on mine a couple times a year and replace stuff.

JustKev
04-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Robbinston? Isn't that a province of Canada? :)

I'm originally from Columbia Falls.

Mapachi
04-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Well, I guess I'm just a live and let live kinda guy. I prefer having an individual log on each cache, but I don't really get upset over serial logs either. I love difficult hides and super simple hides. I like to hike a long distance to get just one cache and I love power runs! I know of a cacher who lives in another part of the State and doesn't cache much anymore, who after a couple of DNFs on a cache, would log it as a find. Even that doesn't bother me, after all who really cares or knows besides the cacher who logs a find when they didn't?
This is just a game folks and It's not even a game that involves money or prizes for that matter. A lot of people on this site, takes comments made on this site way too personally. A lot of comments I make are made in general an are no way directed at anyone on this site....or this thread for that matter.
Lighten up and enjoy the game!
CACHE LONG AND PROSPER!

Mainiac1957
04-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I am looking forward to the new series. I may or may not do the 100 in a day. After reading that some might be 4x4 types I got a bit more excited. In a way I would like to another Centum, but if I don't it's not a problem. Yesterday Kathie, Mike and I did 16 caches while taking Kathie around to a bunch of quilt shops. Not a lot of caches for the miles travel, but there were some nice ones with history lessons (my favorites) or scenic views (my second favorites). A good day all in all. Now if I can just get one of the pathtags mentioned it would be extra special.;)

darterkitfox
04-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I did 45 today. No pathtags in those. By the time I get back up to finish, those will be gone too. First to find prizes are nice IF you're FTF.

brdad
04-04-2010, 05:42 PM
I must admit I found one of Dan's caches today (Not one of the new series), and I was tempted to fill the log up to the allowable number of characters (4000 IIRC), starting with putting my socks on in the morning until getting back home as a joke. But I didn't have the ambition. :p It was good stop nonetheless. I even found my new dream home, I was going to upload it to the cache log, but the image servers are down tonight...

dubord207
04-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I just read today's logs and there wasn't a mention about any of the pathtags....at all! There were lots of "tftc" logs and a few folks that added an appreciated note or two, but I have no idea where all the pathtags I put out have gone. I don't think anybody has grabbed the McCain-Palin trackable geocoin either...kind of surprised.

The person that grabbed the watch logged a very nice log and thank you which was kind of them. I know I put out about 50 pathtags, at least 2 in a bunch of caches so I hope the cachers that have them enjoy them...whoever you are!:)

I did 45 today. No pathtags in those. By the time I get back up to finish, those will be gone too. First to find prizes are nice IF you're FTF.

dubord207
04-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks for your two logs on my caches, Dave! I read them like all the logs we cache placers get and enjoyed your kind words. I'm probably beating a dead horse on this but hope the point isn't being missed by most!

I must admit I found one of Dan's caches today (Not one of the new series), and I was tempted to fill the log up to the allowable number of characters (4000 IIRC), starting with putting my socks on in the morning until getting back home as a joke. But I didn't have the ambition. :p It was good stop nonetheless. I even found my new dream home, I was going to upload it to the cache log, but the image servers are down tonight...

WhereRWe?
04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm probably beating a dead horse on this but hope the point isn't being missed by most!

Sheesh! I love beating dead horses! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

brdad
04-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Sheesh! I love beating dead horses! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Me too! Actually, I'm not overly fond of live horses either!
Maybe we need a Sub-forum aptly named Dead Horse Talk!

Mapachi
04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I just read today's logs and there wasn't a mention about any of the pathtags....at all! There were lots of "tftc" logs and a few folks that added an appreciated note or two, but I have no idea where all the pathtags I put out have gone. I don't think anybody has grabbed the McCain-Palin trackable geocoin either...kind of surprised.

The person that grabbed the watch logged a very nice log and thank you which was kind of them. I know I put out about 50 pathtags, at least 2 in a bunch of caches so I hope the cachers that have them enjoy them...whoever you are!:)

I too put about 25 or so pathtags in my part of the series and only 2 or 3 were mentioned. HO Hum......dead horses....

Haffy
04-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Me too! Actually, I'm not overly fond of live horses either!
Maybe we need a Sub-forum aptly named Dead Horse Talk!

Isn't there one in here already by CAroperphotography......? Couldn't resist, no offense to CA.

pm28570
04-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your two logs on my caches, Dave! I read them like all the logs we cache placers get and enjoyed your kind words. I'm probably beating a dead horse on this but hope the point isn't being missed by most!

<I must admit I found one of Dan's caches today (Not one of the new series), and I was tempted to fill the log up to the allowable number of characters (4000 IIRC), starting with putting my socks on in the morning until getting back home as a joke. But I didn't have the ambition. :p It was good stop nonetheless. I even found my new dream home, I was going to upload it to the cache log, but the image servers are down tonight...>

Imagine my surprise following Dave today at a GRC! :D Actually, kind of neat following around caching friends.

cachecrashers4
04-04-2010, 09:56 PM
We picked up a few of the pathtags at some of Pat's caches we did Saturday. We passed on a bunch of them so there would be some for others caching this series. Good job to all the hiders!

brdad
04-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Imagine my surprise following Dave today at a GRC! :D Actually, kind of neat following around caching friends.

See, this is the misconception people have of me. I'm not anti-GRC - well, other than the fact I'm surprised the state allows them for liability reasons and the fact they are totally unoriginal nowadays and that IMO too many of them make caching look less fun to most new and non-cachers - I'm more against the caches placed for nothing but the numbers. Of course I also maintain my opinion that it's easier to hide a 'lame' micro than it is a larger container.

In defense of the two GRCs we did yesterday, Both yours and Dan's - both were at nice locations and in both cases the guard rail was probably the best bet for minimizing risk of loss of the cache. In other words there are times when a guard rail may be be best choice but that doesn't mean every guard rail needs a cache! :p

We did 7 caches yesterday and were not put off by any of them. We even did one of Chadds which we liked. We did pass a few by that may or may not have been good, we just were not inspired by the name or description, and we were out for fresh air and lunch at the Rockport Roadhouse (Didn't that use to have a different name?) as much as caches.

It is fun when you know you are caching right behind other cachers.

firefighterjake
04-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Have faith . . . when I do this series I will not copy and paste . . . never have . . . never will . . . I may not be able to come up with a clever log for each and every cache . . . but I will not do a generic, "Thanks for the cache" or "Number X out of Y caches today."

Nah . . . I intend to comment on some of the cars . . . especially the ones that I lust after . . . OK, maybe lust is a bit strong of a word . . . cars that I would like to drive some day. Right up there is the Datsun Z . . . but the 240, not the 280 . . . since my wife remembers her father's Z when she was younger . . . although I must confess the new Z really is a looker, although my wife says it reminds her of a bath tub.

And then there's the Trans Am . . . reminds me of Smokey and the Bandit . . . and the Camaro . . . my wife's grandfather had one the first year they came out . . ..

But anyways, I ramble . . . the point is I can say a lot in my logs . . . without even having been to these caches . . .

So don't give up the faith Dubord.

pm28570
04-05-2010, 01:21 PM
See, this is the misconception people have of me. I'm not anti-GRC - <deleted> It is fun when you know you are caching right behind other cachers.

Just couldn't pass up the chance of poking fun! :D Actually, I think our caching styles are very similar :eek:

kayaking loon
04-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I like to be "wordy" in my cache logs and I love getting long posts on my caches. I usually leave some good things for the FTF and at the Eustis event I leave geocoins for FTFs. I plan to do the new power run but won't even try for 100 in a day (unless I go with IAMPAW and then I probably won't have a choice). And Mapachi and Dubord have pathtags??!! Want to trade? I have a loon tag (plus a special loon tag for those that do the Flagstaff challenge), a Eustis sunset tag, a moonlight moose, a Peace tag and a bear tag. Trading is fun too and by the time I get to your power run the tags will be all gone... which is why more people should have tags..then if you take one, you leave one...:D

Mapachi
04-07-2010, 09:22 PM
I get pathtags with my Geocoins at thr Geocoin club. A new one every month. Those are the pathtags I put in my caches....All different. None mine...Which I am currently designing!