View Full Version : Promoting this site at events

brdad
03-28-2010, 07:23 PM
This thought occurred to me after the Aloha event...

Would there be any interest if I were to create a sign promoting this site which could set on the TB table at events?

If there is interest and we took it a step further - would anyone be against making this sign a TB which would belong to Geocaching Maine's account on geocaching.com? The goal of the TB would be to attend events, not to be left at caches. It would be up to event holders to possess, maintain and distribute the sign as needed, it would not have to be returned to me or anyone else in particular. Anyone could discover the TB, but possession would usually be left to event hosts.

This is a mock up of what is on my mind at the moment. It would be about 12" High and 20" long. The State of Maine on the logo would be painted to match our logo. I could leave the back bare wood to allow people to sign their caching name on it. It would probably be best to have a stand to keep it upright. Any ideas, adjustments or criticisms welcome.

WhereRWe?
03-28-2010, 07:38 PM
This thought occurred to me after the Aloha event...

Would there be any interest if I were to create a sign promoting this site which could set on the TB table at events?

If there is interest and we took it a step further - would anyone be against making this sign a TB which would belong to Geocaching Maine's account on geocaching.com? The goal of the TB would be to attend events, not to be left at caches.

Sheesh! Sounds like a good idea to me, but I thought we already had a GeocachingMaine.org sign/banner? :confused::confused:

Mainiac1957
03-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Make it so number 1A... :cool::D

WhereRWe?
03-28-2010, 07:41 PM
And as a matter of fact, since we have a couple of members that attend a lot of the MEGA events, we could make a smaller one that they could carry with them - or a custom-made shirt. Something like "For A Good Time Join GeocachingMaine.org".

Mainiac1957
03-28-2010, 07:42 PM
That too sounds like a good plan. :)

brdad
03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Sheesh! Sounds like a good idea to me, but I thought we already had a GeocachingMaine.org sign/banner? :confused::confused:

Yes, Rick bought one back a while ago, and if I remember correctly he was willing to share it. My hope was this might be passed around more, and being smaller and freestanding it could easily be used at indoor events. Plus, if it is loggable as a TB and on the TB table, more people might be actually take time to look at it. :D

pm28570
03-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Thumbs up from me.

hollora
03-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Where a Board member usually attends most events - I think it should be up to them to move it from event to event. I really don't like TBs left over and would feel repsonsible.

A nice concept to promote using a trackable. I like it a lot better than the banner.

You could use one of the 2009 coins for your tracking as it could be attached to the plaque with an eyehook and some of that wire with the cripped thing to hold the wire together (sorry I don't know the technical terms). It would promote the coins that way too.

brdad
03-28-2010, 09:10 PM
If you were uncomfortable holding it, I am sure someone else could. We seem to have events often enough now it would get passed around bit anyway. As long as it doesn't get picked up by someone who wants to take it to Swains Island it would not matter.

I was thinking TB because I have a spare tag. But I have spare coins too. One advantage of the tag is it could be permanently and firmly attached. The coin - most people would want to see both sides so it'd end up dangling on a wire as you said or have to be made removable, or I could make a hole through the board to see both sides. Something to ponder, anyway.

Ekidokai
03-29-2010, 02:34 AM
This is weird. I was thinking of this kind of thing. Where we are going to have at least one monthly event, I thought a sign would be nice to have. The banner is hanging in Attrolls garage/computer room.

Brdad being so crafty has a great idea on this. I'm all for it.

tat
03-29-2010, 04:39 AM
Nice! I'd love to see it at GW this summer!

benandtina
03-29-2010, 09:57 AM
LOVE the idea and the mockup!!!!! Too cool!!

Haffy
03-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I think just about all the SC groups down here have a banner that represents the area that they cover. Sounds like a good plan is in the works and it would be a good thing for Geowoodstock as well. Here is the banner we have for the YoGO group that I belong to.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/MiscellaneousGeocachingphotos013.jpg

brdad
03-29-2010, 02:45 PM
I hope it takes a while before Maine gets to the point where the state has to be divided up. I like having everyone in one place to get the full spectrum of ideas and opinions.

JustKev
03-29-2010, 03:33 PM
I hope it takes a while before Maine gets to the point where the state has to be divided up. I like having everyone in one place to get the full spectrum of ideas and opinions.

One of our elected officials, in his infinite wisdom, tried to introduce a bill to seperate the state, north from south. Never made it out of it's first step in life as a bill.

brdad
03-29-2010, 05:00 PM
This is weird. I was thinking of this kind of thing. Where we are going to have at least one monthly event, I thought a sign would be nice to have. The banner is hanging in Attrolls garage/computer room.

Brdad being so crafty has a great idea on this. I'm all for it.

If I can get it done by the 11th, want to be the first to use it?

Ekidokai
03-29-2010, 11:28 PM
If I can get it done by the 11th, want to be the first to use it?

Abso-tutifruitin-loutly.

Haffy
03-30-2010, 12:45 AM

I can understand where you are coming from and we have the Main chapter of the SCGA but there are a few splinter groups who decided for one reason or another to form their own groups in their specific areas. Many states do the same and I see no reason that this doesn't work out. We all attend each others events and meets and greets and things work out just fine. NC is close by too from where I live and we have a lot of groups who attend events from both states. I think it is pretty cool and we all have a great time no matter what group is having the event or where. We are all just one big happy family......:):D

hollora
03-30-2010, 11:44 PM

Isn't there already two Maine geocaching groups/places/websites, etc. Not trying to be a stick in the mud or cause problems but reality is - I think there is a Southern Maine (per se) group which may support and subscribe to this group but is totally different (with their own website/events/organization, etc.).

If not = I stand corrected and do apologize.

brdad
03-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Isn't there already two Maine geocaching groups/places/websites, etc. Not trying to be a stick in the mud or cause problems but reality is - I think there is a Southern Maine (per se) group which may support and subscribe to this group but is totally different (with their own website/events/organization, etc.).

If not = I stand corrected and do apologize.

True, but as you say many of their members are members here as well, and I think this site still does it's best to represent the entire state, at least anyone is welcomed equally.

Anyway, I could continue on here but I don't need to steer the topic off in that direction. :rolleyes:

brdad
03-31-2010, 06:24 AM
I might be carving this sign this afternoon, time permitting.

I didn't really think about this traveling to events far away, but it will belong to the members here and it will support the site wherever it goes so I don't see why not.

I think I will stick to using the TB tag. It can be embedded in the wood so it will not protrude and will not stand as much chance of getting knocked off or otherwise lost. Event holders can attach Maine coins or other items to it as they see fit for their event.

I have set up the TB page. Once I have the sign done, I will post a picture of it there. Any suggestions welcome. I'm having trouble getting inspired with any "fun" text here, I get too technical at times.
The Official Geocaching Maine Event TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=269497)

I am still pondering a stand. Hopefully I will get a better feel for what is needed there after it is carved. Also any input from those who would use them at events would be helpful since they would be the ones usign it- Hollora, Mainiac1957, Ekidokai, Tat, Kaching Karen, WhereRWe? - And any other event holders who think they would like to utilize it...

Option 1: No stand, let the event holder figure it out. The biggest advantage here is a flat sign which carries easily. The event holder could use a plate stand or other device to hold the sign.
Option 2: Make a leg which hinges out from the back of the sign. It would be attached and would always be there, but adds to the weight and may get bent or damaged depending on how much abuse it gets.
Option 3: Make a wooden stand which would travel with the TB. This would stand a good chance of being lost, but it might look nice.
Option4: Suggest something else...

Ekidokai
03-31-2010, 06:31 AM
I like the wood stand idea.

Second choice would be the no stand idea.

pm28570
03-31-2010, 08:13 AM
I am still pondering a stand. Hopefully I will get a better feel for what is needed there after it is carved. Also any input from those who would use them at events would be helpful since they would be the ones usign it- Hollora, Mainiac1957, Ekidokai, Tat, Kaching Karen, WhereRWe? - And any other event holders who think they would like to utilize it...

I think an attached stand of some sort would be the best way to proceed.

tat
03-31-2010, 12:04 PM
For outdoor events, it might be nice to be able to hang it from an ez-up. Maybe a couple of eye hooks on the top.

brdad
03-31-2010, 12:08 PM
For outdoor events, it might be nice to be able to hang it from an ez-up. Maybe a couple of eye hooks on the top.

Yep, I forgot to mention that I have an idea to address that issue, I think I can recess two eye hooks in the top of the sign which will facilitate running some cord through while not sticking out where they could catch on anything and get damaged. And before anyone says it, yeah, I could just drill holes in it. But that's what everyone else does. :D:D:D:D

Ekidokai
03-31-2010, 03:34 PM
I just realized it has it's own account too. This is just too cool. Groovy even.

brdad
03-31-2010, 03:55 PM
I just realized it has it's own account too. This is just too cool. Groovy even.

Yeah, we created this account a few years ago to protect our namesake and hopefully host a few events or who knows what. This is the account I was trying to suggest holding a recurring event. In the past, the board has mentioned holding some sort of a special event using this account, I think one was the 'Caching Olympics'. Search through the old board messages and you might find more.

I should be starting the carving of this within an hour if nothing else holds me up today.

benandtina
03-31-2010, 04:01 PM
I like the no stand and eye hooks options. That way, the plate holder is always an option but the sign can lay flat if needed. This will make it easier for people to pick up the sign and hold it closer to their eyes or better light if they have trouble seeing the numbers, something I notice happening often at events with Geocoins and TB tags.

hollora
03-31-2010, 06:11 PM
The large lightweight plate holder is nice as if it travels (like with a group to Geowoodstock) and has to fly - lightweight is best.

I may have a large plate holder in my old store stuff - if I can find one you may have it.

Eyehooks - great idea.

brdad
03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
I think judging on what I have heard so far I may leave any attached stands off from it for now. It can be easily added later if the plate stands or eye bolts are not enough.

hollora
03-31-2010, 07:00 PM
I think judging on what I have heard so far I may leave any attached stands off from it for now. It can be easily added later if the plate stands or eye bolts are not enough. My humble thoughts I wouldn't add any weight or something to break. :)

brdad
04-01-2010, 12:40 PM
The sign is all carved, I like the way it came out. This afternoon I am creating hanging points. And then on to coloring the lettering!

brdad
04-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Sign is all colored and touched up and 3 coats of lacquer, a few more coats to go. :) All that fine painting did wonders for my carpal tunnel!

It is looking real good, and if you haven't noticed I am hard to impress at times. :D

Now the question is, do I leave the back lacquer-less so people could sign it?

Ekidokai
04-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Why would you want people to sign it?

brdad
04-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Some of the larger TBs have been signed by finders. A few of the smaller TBs have logbooks which travel with them. I embedded one of my photo marbles in Cindy the Cinderblock.

Our sign is looking pretty classy, we may want to keep it that way.

http://img.geocaching.com/track/log/9d990e04-6aab-41c8-ae08-163c6c57df15.jpg (http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?luid=b1e57f1d-1c00-41a1-b69c-9da34f743990&IID=9d990e04-6aab-41c8-ae08-163c6c57df15)

Ekidokai
04-03-2010, 01:24 AM
I vote no signing the sign.

dubord207
04-03-2010, 04:51 AM
How about attaching a photo of it? And I'm with Mike, I suggest not cluttering up the back of the sign with a bunch of signatures.

JustKev
04-03-2010, 06:50 AM
How about attaching a photo of it? And I'm with Mike, I suggest not cluttering up the back of the sign with a bunch of signatures.

We can sell ad space to fund the site. I envision a large "Joe Bornstein" ad right in the middle.

brdad
04-03-2010, 07:03 AM
We can sell ad space to fund the site. I envision a large "Joe Bornstein" ad right in the middle.

Why didn't you mention that earlier? What a great idea to make some money for the site!

I wonder just how much 1 2/3 sq. ft. of ad space on the back of a geocaching organization sign goes for nowadays?

I will be posting a picture soon, once it's fully completed, which should be before the weekend is over.

brdad
04-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Today turned out to be a stay at home day. I'm betting many of you are out caching in this great weather.
Anyway, here it is!

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/brdad/Creations/Geocaching_Maine_TB_Blurred_1024X61.jpg (http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/brdad/Creations/?action=view&current=Geocaching_Maine_TB_Blurred_1024X61.jpg)

I created the hanging ability by cutting a pocket in the top edge of the sign and running a dowel through perpendicular to the pocket. It will accommodate up to a 1/8" cord.

http://bytethebullet.com/images/gcmainetbsealedhanger%20%28Large%29.JPG

JustPJ66
04-03-2010, 02:56 PM
WOW that is wonderful! love it.

Haffy
04-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Absolutely beautiful Dave. Kudos to you and hope I get to see it someday. Great job!!! I think all Maine cachers will appreciate the work that went into the making of this. You've got some great woodworking tool there. What is it?

WhereRWe?
04-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Sheesh! Exceptional. Truly exceptional. Great job, Dave. :D:D

dubord207
04-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Amazing! That will be proudly displayed by our members. You have an awesome talent my friend!:)

JustKev
04-03-2010, 07:38 PM
If you think it looks good, you should see how he made it. All he has is an old broken pencil sharpener and a pair of fingernail clippers with the nailfile bent at right angles. Oh, and his teeth.

JustKev
04-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Seriously, awesome job, Dave. Nice to have a setup like you must have to be able to whip out something like that in such short order.

rcwhit
04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Sheesh! Exceptional. Truly exceptional. Great job, Dave. :D:D

I could not have put it better!
Truly exceptional!! :D

I have a stand with cards that we have been taking along to the events, but I don't think many people have noticed it. Maybe I should give it to you and you can just keep it with your sign. Maybe if they notice your sign, they might notice the cards under it and take one! :confused:

pm28570
04-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Looks awesome Dave! And to stay inside today as well......
Really looking forward to seeing it next weekend.

brdad
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I have a stand with cards that we have been taking along to the events, but I don't think many people have noticed it. Maybe I should give it to you and you can just keep it with your sign. Maybe if they notice your sign, they might notice the cards under it and take one! :confused:

I am not planning on keeping the sign, it is a TB and will hopefully be handed to whoever is hosting the next event or at least a trusted member who will be attending the next event. It belongs to the site and all it's members, and that's why the TB is on this site's gc.com account (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=269497) instead of mine. People may want to put the TB on their watchlist so they know where it is.

As far as the card holder, I doubt any host would mind if you left the holder next to the sign, it is actually a good idea to have some of the gcmaine cards handy for those that are not members but are interested.

Thanks all for the comments!

Fins_Up
04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Very nice work! I can't wait to see it up close at an event.

EMSDanel
04-03-2010, 11:53 PM
All I can say is Wow....very nicely done. I truly appreciate that kind of talent.

firefighterjake
04-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Looks good Dave . . . really good.

So . . . has anyone logged the TB yet since it apparently has the TB number posted in the pic? ;)

benandtina
04-05-2010, 08:59 AM
We saw it up close and seriously, it looks even better in person. Absolutely beautiful job!!! The details on the map are really neat.

We forgot to write down the code so we haven't been able to discover it yet :( Boo. I think the one in the pic is just the public one, not the actual TB code?

Oh, and as for signing... my vote is no. It's too pretty to let everyone clutter it up!

brdad
04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Looks good Dave . . . really good.

So . . . has anyone logged the TB yet since it apparently has the TB number posted in the pic? ;)

Tina is correct, the number on the plaque is not the tracking number, it is the TB reference number. The reference number is ok to give out so that people can look up the TB on gc.com. Anyone that gets to the page can post a note, but you need the tracking number off the TB tag itself in order to put the TB in your inventory or to discover it.

But fear not, my student. :p You are not the only one who made this mistake. I see Mike has blurred out the reference number on the picture he posted to his event page. :D

WhereRWe?
04-05-2010, 09:31 AM
But fear not, my student. :p You are not the only one who made this mistake.

Shouldn't that be "But fear not, Grasshopper..."? ;);)

Ekidokai
04-06-2010, 02:51 AM
I have no idea what I'm doing. I didn't even try the number, just figured what ever it was someone could do evil with it.

brdad
04-28-2010, 06:19 AM
It looks like this TB will be busy if it makes it to all the 10 year events, Brad's CITO, and the Relay for Life in Ellsworth!

Ekidokai
04-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Does it actually have to be there? Can I just bring a picture of it with the tracking number on the back? I can't seem to locate the mcoy.

brdad
04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Funny, Lee was wanting to bet me last night that you have already lost it! :p

hollora
04-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Does it actually have to be there? Can I just bring a picture of it with the tracking number on the back? I can't seem to locate the mcoy.

Look in the O'key D'kee Mobile :D

Ekidokai
04-29-2010, 12:51 AM
I think I might have left it in a treasure chest somewhere.

hollora
04-29-2010, 08:34 PM

Are you kidding? Really - well, I hope someone get's it to the event in Brewer............wasn't it supposed to go to events???? There is no chance I have a nano second to go for that FTF if it isn't already found. Another candidate I can think of (hummm, EMSDanel) can't do events this weekend..........that might leave eebee and crew but will they solve the puzzle??

dubord207
04-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Do you frequent the Treasure Chest II in Waterville?:eek:

Ekidokai
04-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I found the stand. I'll get the number from Brdad and make a laminated copy. No one should know the difference.

brdad
04-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I found the stand. I'll get the number from Brdad and make a laminated copy. No one should know the difference.

No one will notice when we come back one person less from Halfmile either! ;)

Ekidokai
04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Funny you should say that. Make sure you read the new caches when they come out.