View Full Version : I got my Oregon 550T today.

LaughingTerry
03-30-2010, 12:22 PM
I Ordered it from Amazon and got it from the PO today. I got the GSAK Macro for the Colorado/Oregon and loaded 4,915 caches along with descriptions. Once I had the Macro installed it took a minute or two to load it. I like it already. Here is the first picture I took with it.
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showfull.php?photo=2934

The quality of the picture seems good. I took the picture out the open window of my car while it was raining . Shewolf and I will probably head out with it this weekend and put it through its paces. Not much hiking though. It's still too hard on my foot. I already like the idea of not having to take along my PDA and camera.

JustKev
03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Okay, it's official. I'm jealous already and you've only posted one pic.

Ekidokai
03-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Very nice. How are the maps and driving directions?

Haffy
03-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Not too shabby of a camera in a GPS. Oh and did you CITO that litter on the lawn in front of you as well?....lol

pm28570
03-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I Ordered it from Amazon and got it from the PO today. I got the GSAK Macro for the Colorado/Oregon and loaded 4,915 caches along with descriptions. Once I had the Macro installed it took a minute or two to load it. I like it already. Here is the first picture I took with it.
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showfull.php?photo=2934

The quality of the picture seems good. I took the picture out the open window of my car while it was raining . Shewolf and I will probably head out with it this weekend and put it through its paces. Not much hiking though. It's still too hard on my foot. I already like the idea of not having to take along my PDA and camera.

Nice LT. Been thinking about an Oregon....300 or 400T but maybe I should rethink it.

LaughingTerry
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
It came with the Topo map and has the roads but no driving directions. You have to buy another map for that. I probably will get it pretty soon. Right now I have all the same caches loaded in the Nuvi to get me across the roads but when I am in the woods I can check the cache description, logs, and hint on the Oregon.

I wasn't going to walk around in the rain picking up wet trash and putting in my car. Maybe next time. The picture was taken about 20 feet from a cache in Madison.

It seemed to bring me real close to the same spot as the 60csx did. Once I am used to it I guess I can sell my 60csx and Palm PDA.

Mapachi
03-30-2010, 10:24 PM
It came with the Topo map and has the roads but no driving directions. You have to buy another map for that. I probably will get it pretty soon. Right now I have all the same caches loaded in the Nuvi to get me across the roads but when I am in the woods I can check the cache description, logs, and hint on the Oregon.

I wasn't going to walk around in the rain picking up wet trash and putting in my car. Maybe next time. The picture was taken about 20 feet from a cache in Madison.

It seemed to bring me real close to the same spot as the 60csx did. Once I am used to it I guess I can sell my 60csx and Palm PDA.

And, what cache would that be? LOL!

Trick or Treat
03-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Terry, talk to me about this macro. I have a 400t and just download my pocket queries. Am I missing out on something? Is the macro like one giant pocket query so I wouldn't have to run smaller queries for the area I'm caching in?

Ekidokai
04-01-2010, 12:39 AM
There are a bunch of different macros.

They can be set up to do all kinds of different things. What the macros do is take the info you have on GSAK and do different things with that. I use GSAK to filter out all my finds and the caches I'm not going to do right away, like puzzles and challenges. The macro takes all that info and converts all the caches so I can download the data into my GPSr's

There is a listing for the macros and what they can do on the site.

dubord207
04-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Garmin currently has a new beta protype unit that will be out later this Spring, the 750 AP. This is the "auto pilot" version that requires a receiver to be installed in your car and with a download of the AP macro from GSAK, you punch in a cache, hit "drive me" and the Garmin will drive your car for you to the cache! While the intial price tag on this baby is not for the faint of heart ($12,500), this will be helpful because now you won't have to drive and look at your laptop at the same time!:D:D

kayaking loon
04-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Garmin currently has a new beta protype unit that will be out later this Spring, the 750 AP. This is the "auto pilot" version that requires a receiver to be installed in your car and with a download of the AP macro from GSAK, you punch in a cache, hit "drive me" and the Garmin will drive your car for you to the cache! While the intial price tag on this baby is not for the faint of heart ($12,500), this will be helpful because now you won't have to drive and look at your laptop at the same time!:D:D

Er... April Fool??? You know, I kind of liked the "old days" when I printed out the page for the cache, took my etrex legend, and spent more time walking than I did punching buttons. And cache logs could be more than the "TFTC" sent by punching more buttons. :D

Ekidokai
04-01-2010, 09:51 AM
You guys and all your fancy toys. I liked the old days before we had GPSr's.

Holy crap! What's going on with my phone?

Mapachi
04-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm having a GPSr chip implanted in my brain. Soon I'll be able to receive cache listings whenever I walk by a "hot" zone. Then I simply follow the arrow in my brain, straight to the cache!

brdad
04-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I've said this a hundred times, being sarcastic but fearing it will come - we won't even be looking for caches, we'll have some GPS that just logs every telephone pole, guardrail, lamp post, and roadkill you pass by. And there will still be people saying let us play the way we want, look at our numbers! :(

WhereRWe?
04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I've said this a hundred times, being sarcastic but fearing it will come - we won't even be looking for caches, we'll have some GPS that just logs every telephone pole, guardrail, lamp post, and roadkill you pass by. And there will still be people saying let us play the way we want, look at our numbers! :(

Sheesh! Roadkill? I've seen fake rocks, fake dog doo, and now you're going to give somebody an idea... LOL!

Mapachi
04-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Sheesh! Roadkill? I've seen fake rocks, fake dog doo, and now you're going to give somebody an idea... LOL!

To late! Check out my "Rabies" cache up on the Rangley/Stratton road.

Mapachi
04-01-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm having a GPSr chip implanted in my brain. Soon I'll be able to receive cache listings whenever I walk by a "hot" zone. Then I simply follow the arrow in my brain, straight to the cache!

Did I say I had an arrow in my brain?! Well, that explains a lot!
It worked for Steve Martin!

LaughingTerry
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM

It figures. LOL The lightbulb came on and then I see Mapachi beat me to it.
What a great Right in Plain Sight cache that woulda been.

LaughingTerry
04-02-2010, 01:12 PM
I went out Thursday and did 32 caches with the Oregon 550T. It seemed accurate, didn't lose the satellites once, didn't seem to drift as much as the 60csx, and I really like the way it is set up for geocaching. I took a few pictures and they came out fine. It's easy to take pictures with and shows on the map where you took them.

The only thing I don't like so far is that without the backlight on it is real hard to see the screen. When you touch the screen it comes on and I set it to stay on 30 seconds. I cached about 8 hours, took a few pictures, and still had good battery life when I was done.

All in all I am very happy with it.

Waterski
04-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Terry, I got some advice on my unit, the 400t, to set the background maps from green to white, which in some cases lightens up your screen. This might help you as well with your model. Don't ask me how I did it, but you can figure it out I am sure:)

TeamHorwich
04-02-2010, 05:30 PM
and this from Delorme...
Remote Tracking (http://blog.delorme.com/2010/04/01/delorme-announces-remote-tracking-for-the-earthmate-gps-pn-60w/)

LaughingTerry
04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Here is a close up picture I took with it today. One of my Mother-out-laws cats in the towel drawer.
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/507/medium/CatInDrawer.JPG

LaughingTerry
04-04-2010, 09:28 PM
A picture of one of her other cats. Again I took the picture with the Oregon 550T.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/507/medium/PatsCat.JPG

LaughingTerry
04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
My new cachemobile on the left, my old one on the right. Picture taken with the Oregon 550T

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/507/medium/Subys.JPG

hollora
04-04-2010, 09:45 PM
And the Jeeps?????................one is yellow??????

Mainiac1957
04-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Or at least I don't think it was me.:D:D

LaughingTerry
04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Nope, Father-out-lam and Mother-out-law both have jeeps. They haven't cached for a while but she is Loupa. Hers is the yellow one. When I took her geocaching the first time she decided she wanted a GPSr and a jeep. The next time I saw her she had both. LOL

kayaking loon
04-05-2010, 04:34 PM

And I just found a place today for "Son of Rabies".. one good cache deserves another. Coming soon!

rcwhit
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I Ordered it from Amazon and got it from the PO today. I got the GSAK Macro for the Colorado/Oregon and loaded 4,915 caches along with descriptions. Once I had the Macro installed it took a minute or two to load it. I like it already.

Can you tell me about the macro you got for your Oregon? What does it do? Where did you get it? I have a 400t, is there a macro I should be getting for it? Are you getting tired of all these questions yet? :D

hollora
04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
And I just found a place today for "Son of Rabies".. one good cache deserves another. Coming soon!

Oh now - that is very cool!

hollora
04-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Nope, Father-out-lam and Mother-out-law both have jeeps. They haven't cached for a while but she is Loupa. Hers is the yellow one. When I took her geocaching the first time she decided she wanted a GPSr and a jeep. The next time I saw her she had both. LOL

Had no idea who Loupa was but that is cool! Hey Terry - you coming to one of the 10 yr events??? Come on - isn't that before you get busy?? There are a number of them over many hours - hope we see you!

LaughingTerry
04-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Can you tell me about the macro you got for your Oregon? What does it do? Where did you get it? I have a 400t, is there a macro I should be getting for it? Are you getting tired of all these questions yet? :D

Go to this post on the geocaching forums.
http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7745&st=0&#entry58522
It is two pages long and has information about the macro. The last post on the second page has the link to download the latest version.