View Full Version : Happy April Fool's Day!

dubord207
04-01-2010, 06:08 AM
For those of you with phone notifications, you now know that mapachi, Shuman Road Searchers, Fins_up and dubord207 have placed 111 new caches in Waldo County. Many of these are full-size caches with lots of goodies and swag. With all the recent rain, boots will be needed but we hope you enjoy our spin on another wonderful cluster of well-placed caches!:)

brdad
04-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Couldn't you have just bought me flowers?

Just kidding... Well, kinda :p

firefighterjake
04-01-2010, 07:34 AM
For those of you with phone notifications, you now know that mapachi, Shuman Road Searchers, Fins_up and dubord207 have placed 111 new caches in Waldo County. Many of these are full-size caches with lots of goodies and swag. With all the recent rain, boots will be needed but we hope you enjoy our spin on another wonderful cluster of well-placed caches!:)

So you guys are the ones . . . I logged on to my e-mail this morning and saw a bazillion caches were posted . . . filled up my e-mail box to the brim so to speak . . . haven't opened my in-box to see where they are or what they're all about.

firefighterjake
04-01-2010, 07:37 AM
As usual I've written up my annual April 1st edition of the "official" Bangor Daily News which basically pokes fun at co-worker foibles and missteps that were done during the year . . . for example one firefighter who managed to damage our brand new ladder's side door compartments by attempting to leave the station with the doors open will be holding a ladder driving class this Wednesday.

Yesterday I had a little fun with my dentist . . . before I went to see him to have a cavity filled I printed out a small card that said "Drill Here" with an arrow . . . I then laminated it and right before sitting in the chair popped it into my mouth.

Mapachi
04-01-2010, 08:19 AM
The Central Maine Power Run, by the Power Rangers!
The caches are placed by four of us, so each "bunch" of caches has the placer's own "style" all over them. Some are hidden in typical "Stud Mill" fashion, but a lot are hidden in different ways. All different difficulties and sizes as are the cache listings themselves. We each hid them on our own, so the other Power Rangers don't know where the others are placed.
I even placed a puzzle cache on this power run!
If anyone else from the area wants to give placing a mini power run in this area a try or "Fill in some gaps"; simply become a Power Ranger (add Power Ranger to your name on the cache submision) There are a lot more back roads all around here, that need caches!

JustPJ66
04-01-2010, 08:28 AM
I am enjoying seeing some of the types of cars you guys picked....I never heard tell of some of them. Cool thanks folks. JustKev and I wont try these today as he is still recovering from a nasty bug but one day soon we will get out and make a day (or two) of these caches.

pm28570
04-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Just a couple of observations here......
Sorry Dan, I don't buy the "I'm still sick from our cruise" story. You were too busy making up caches.
And....with this weekend's predicated weather, you guy's couldn't have picked better timing.

Waterski
04-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Nice to see that Razorvile and Burketville are now on the map and will be tourist traps. ha

Ekidokai
04-01-2010, 09:57 AM
What's wrong with my phone? Where is that smoke coming from?

Sabby
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
I see I should have delayed my trip to Maine to visit family a week so I could have taken advantage of the new hides.

I will have to plan another one. :)

TeamHorwich
04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Congrats to TeamLSD on 105 finds, 6 DNF's and an unbelieveable 86 First to Finds!

CARoperPhotography
04-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Good job LSD! Congrats to the "S" of LSD.... did he get his first ever FTF this morning?

However, it looks like this new Power Run has upset a certain cacher to the south by 5 states, as I just got a notification in my email that New England's Centum cache has been archived by it's owner. You should read his archive log..... sad and a bit insulting.
GC1RBE5

Gob-ler
04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Please explain how it is insulting?

brdad
04-01-2010, 10:21 PM
However, it looks like this new Power Run has upset a certain cacher to the south by 5 states, as I just got a notification in my email that New England's Centum cache has been archived by it's owner. You should read his archive log..... sad and a bit insulting.
GC1RBE5

Insulting to you or to him? It seems that making a challenge easier would be insulting to the placer. A good example of that is the cache 30 feet up in the tree that had been discussed here lately, which Tat and Robt managed to obtain last weekend. If they were to hang a rope ladder for everyone else to access the cache more easily, If I were the cache owner I would be upset with that as well, and I don't think it's a lot different.

brdad
04-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Remember we are singling out a particular cacher and cache, let's keep any posts within the Forum Guidelines (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=agreement), paying close attention to #4 - Personal Attacks - Finger pointing that has the potential to lead to upsetting or provoking another individual.

CARoperPhotography
04-02-2010, 05:12 AM
It seems that the definition of personal attacks gets broader every minute... Insulting because now Maine is the place to go to do power runs and as a result he is sorry he ever placed the cache. Seems a bit arrogant, and almost as I'd it makes every persons log of the Centum cache who did it with a power
run feel as if their centum was not worthy. That's
how.

Mainiac1957
04-02-2010, 06:14 AM
When the Centum idea was first introduced I thought it was quite a challenge. I completed my first one in Tennessee last May with Quilting Mom and Sudonim while there for Geowoodstock 7. It was a 14 hours marathon. We did quite a bit of planning and drove many miles through many towns to achieve the goal.

Shortly there afterwards Ekidokai placed the Stud Mill Road series. I made a statement of how that cheapened the difficulty of doing a Centum here in Maine. Most everyone else thought it was a great idea. And there you go, mass appeal. I did that series with a group of friends and had a fantastic day. I did the Star Wars and Spaceballs series with a group as well and again had a fantastic day. Yes there are some stand out cache location on both runs, but lets be real. Most of them you couldn't remember if your life depended on it. Will I do the latest series. Sure will!! I will most likely do it with a group of friends and have a fantastic time. That will mean I have done 4 Centum runs in a year. How crazy is that?

The power run is here to stay so folks might as well get used to it. A lot of effort still was put into placing and maintaining all those caches. So to Mike, Chadd, and the gruesome threesome of autos in Waldo county. My hat is off to you all.

dubord207
04-02-2010, 07:00 AM
First of all, the new series the FOUR of us put together is very different then the other so called "power runs" that have been placed. The majority of the caches are not micros. Very few are hanging from branches, some are, but you'll find a wide variety of different hides. There were DNF's the first day and there will be some hides that some will find quite challenging.

Second, take the time to read some of the cache descriptions. They are all DIFFERENT and reflect to some extent the personalities of those of us who put these out for the caching community. Those of you who place caches know there is a process to completing the on line form and we all put in extra effort with these placements.

Lastly, having done a "true" Centum challenge, this series and the other power runs are far easier to complete, no question so I understand exactly what Dick meant in his comment.

But if you're looking for a fun place to do a bunch of different and varying caches in the Central Maine area, then you'll enjoy these caches. I hope to see some non-serial logs now that the FTF frenzy is over. (Congrats to the LSD gang for an impressive FTF run and "trip!")

Games are played to have fun so have fun people. There's no need to turn the discussion negative.

ampmdp
04-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Thank you so much for the Herculean effort it must've taken to set all these caches!!! I could'nt believe it when I opened up my email yesterday morning and the notifications kept pouring in...I was certain it was either an April Fool's joke or a virus, or both! When I realized it was for real I seriously considered taking the day off from work! Didn't do it, and all day long I could *feel* those FTF's slipping through my fingers! Didn't matter...we packed up the team after school and managed to get 6 finds and 2 dnf's before dark. We'll be spending a LOT of time in this area for a while! Thanks again!!!

firefighterjake
04-02-2010, 07:26 AM
When the Centum idea was first introduced I thought it was quite a challenge. I completed my first one in Tennessee last May with Quilting Mom and Sudonim while there for Geowoodstock 7. It was a 14 hours marathon. We did quite a bit of planning and drove many miles through many towns to achieve the goal.

Shortly there afterwards Ekidokai placed the Stud Mill Road series. I made a statement of how that cheapened the difficulty of doing a Centum here in Maine. Most everyone else thought it was a great idea. And there you go, mass appeal. I did that series with a group of friends and had a fantastic day. I did the Star Wars and Spaceballs series with a group as well and again had a fantastic day. Yes there are some stand out cache location on both runs, but lets be real. Most of them you couldn't remember if your life depended on it. Will I do the latest series. Sure will!! I will most likely do it with a group of friends and have a fantastic time. That will mean I have done 4 Centum runs in a year. How crazy is that?

The power run is here to stay so folks might as well get used to it. A lot of effort still was put into placing and maintaining all those caches. So to Mike, Chadd, and the gruesome threesome of autos in Waldo county. My hat is off to you all.

RE: In fairness oen of the reasons we did so well on that Star Wars run was that we had you, Obi Wan Maniacobi leading our merry band of space-traveling cachers . . . and Hiram . . . I'm still waiting to see some pictures from that day . . . you with your Hiram Solo blaster, me in my Luke Firefighterwalker Jedi robes with lightsaber, Maniac with his lightsaber (he refused to wear the robe -- said it was blue, not brown like a real Jedi robe) and our little friend, R2-D2 . . . who simply wore a bucket on her head. ;) :)

firefighterjake
04-02-2010, 07:31 AM
First of all, the new series the FOUR of us put together is very different then the other so called "power runs" that have been placed. The majority of the caches are not micros. Very few are hanging from branches, some are, but you'll find a wide variety of different hides. There were DNF's the first day and there will be some hides that some will find quite challenging.

Second, take the time to read some of the cache descriptions. They are all DIFFERENT and reflect to some extent the personalities of those of us who put these out for the caching community. Those of you who place caches know there is a process to completing the on line form and we all put in extra effort with these placements.

Lastly, having done a "true" Centum challenge, this series and the other power runs are far easier to complete, no question so I understand exactly what Dick meant in his comment.

But if you're looking for a fun place to do a bunch of different and varying caches in the Central Maine area, then you'll enjoy these caches. I hope to see some non-serial logs now that the FTF frenzy is over. (Congrats to the LSD gang for an impressive FTF run and "trip!")

Games are played to have fun so have fun people. There's no need to turn the discussion negative.

Knowing 3 of the 4 cachers from their previous hides that I have done . . . I would have gone into this caching expecting to NOT see a lot of micros hanging in trees since your caches are often very untraditional.

And now for a retro-rant ;) . . . why, oh why can't we go back to the good old days when all we had to complain about were folks doing the unoriginal hides of placing their ammo can under a pile of sticks, in a hollowed tree stump or in a rock wall . . . it's so predictable and boring . . . and yes . . . I am kidding . . .

My own opinion remains unchanged . . . for many cachers there are many different types of caches . . . if folks don't like the way caches are going they should take it upon themselves to hide caches their own caches in the way they like to find . . . the more "traditional" caches that are out there only encourages others to hide caches in a similar fashion.

JustKev
04-02-2010, 07:39 AM
We briefly thought about heading down that way to see about grabbing some of the FTF's but the allure of an FTF isn't great enough to overcome the fact that I still wasn't feeling 100% over the bug I've been fighting for a week. We'll still try for FTF's in the future and we'll try to grab as many of the caches in this series as we can but we probably won't do 100 in a day any time soon. We were impressed with our 20+ cache days. Numbers aren't what drives us to look for the next cache, doing it together and enjoying the day are what we got into caching for.

brdad
04-02-2010, 07:54 AM
And now for a retro-rant ;) . . . why, oh why can't we go back to the good old days when all we had to complain about were folks doing the unoriginal hides of placing their ammo can under a pile of sticks, in a hollowed tree stump or in a rock wall . . . it's so predictable and boring . . . and yes . . . I am kidding . . .

Dang, that's supposed to be MY line! :p

I do think this recent series appears to be a step up, perhaps the game is evolving some once again.

My biggest problem with all these series caches now is - for a person who only wants to do 5 in a given area, how do they know which 5 is best? I guess it was easier when the total number of caches was at a level where you felt you could do them all, so if you didn't do one this month you could do it the next. Now, there is no way to get them all - at least not at my current rate! Oh well, I am sure I'll be down that way to do a few someday regardless.

Mapachi
04-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Dang, that's supposed to be MY line! :p

I do think this recent series appears to be a step up, perhaps the game is evolving some once again.

My biggest problem with all these series caches now is - for a person who only wants to do 5 in a given area, how do they know which 5 is best? I guess it was easier when the total number of caches was at a level where you felt you could do them all, so if you didn't do one this month you could do it the next. Now, there is no way to get them all - at least not at my current rate! Oh well, I am sure I'll be down that way to do a few someday regardless.

Aww, just go for the large ones in this series....most of them are behind stone walls, in tree stumps, and covered in sticks!! Just like old home week!

benandtina
04-02-2010, 08:55 AM
GC1RBE5

The archive post is marked as having been edited, so I may have missed something on the original, but I don't really see what is insulting about it... He explained why he had originally put out the cache and explained that the reasoning is no longer true. Much worse has been said on the forums about this topic :P

I can't speak with 100% certainty because Ben and I have not done the Centum.. we tried to do one in NH earlier this year but got antsy after about two hours and started taking long walks in woods, LOL. We ended up only doing about a third of the caches we'd planned. But, I think it is safe to say that the archiving of this cache is not going to change the enjoyment people have during these power runs. I completely get that the fun is in spending a day with good friends and creating memories with them... that can ABSOLUTELY still be done.

Mapachi
04-02-2010, 09:16 AM
I don't need the centrum challenge anyway. I've been thinking about trying a hundred caches in a day, without a power run involved, anyway. I have done only a few in the Portland and surrounding areas, so it would be perfect for me.
Power runs provide another purpose anyway.....EASY CACHING FOR GIMPS! Shotgun and I have been having a problem with mobility due to medical problems. The Star Wars series saved our caching sanity!
Beleve it or not, some people can not do even a small hike to look for a cache. These types of power runs gives them a chance to get some fresh air and exersise with out too much effort.

lexmano
04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Many thanks to the hiders, we had a blast! More importantly, many thanks to MainePublisher who again demonstrated that he is one of the best in the business.

Gob-ler
04-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Just to clarify - I have no problems or issues with any hider or seeker. The simple fact is that the Centum is no longer the Challenge that it was.

As for the archive log being edited, I removed one line about logging after a certain date. I did not think that was appropriate and I added a comment about a note that was posted by someone else (that I deleted) that took me to task a bit. I did not feel it appropriate to have that kind of comment or discourse on the cache page.

I think most of you know me well enough to know that if I had an issue about any of these things with an individual they would have heard directly from me. That is the way I conduct myself and as stated That is not the case.

My congratulations to all of the accomplishments of yesterday by the hiders and finders. I look forward to doing some of these when I am in the area chasing my favorite bird.

Cache on!

EMSDanel
04-02-2010, 12:16 PM
There are probably a couple of dozen things I'd like to say about all of this but chances are good that I would anger every one of my cherished geofriends and, at my ripe old age, I've learned it's better to hold my tongue. I WILL say that, given the people who placed these caches, I'm willing to bet these are quality caches. I'm in awe at (and really appreciate) all of the work that went into this series. I'll certainly go to find them at my own pace, take my time, and enjoy each of them. I will NOT do 111 in a day. Those days are done for me. As far as the Centum cache being archived, I did my 125 on the Stud Mill Road just to know that I could do it. It was a personal goal for me. I do NOT have to log in at the Centum Cache and have never done so. I refuse to program my phone to receive emails that will then alert me to a new cache posting the very second it comes out so that I can get there for the FTF before anyone else even gets a chance to read the newly published cache. I'm amused at those people who do that and then try to write in the log that they just happened to be in the neighborhood and that's why they got the FTF. I don't fish in a barrel and then puff my chest up and tell everyone what a good fisherman I am. When I first started caching I was out the door whenever I thought I might be FTF. Today, if I had put out this Power Ranger series I would have them published 2-3 per day specifically so that one person or one group would not be able to grab 85 FTF's in one day. My attitude toward the sport is best related to the posts above by Just Kev and Ben and Tina.

This all boils down to the fact that every cacher plays the game by their own rules...we've said that many times before. What's good for me is totally different for someone else. If someone doesn't like a "power run", thinks it cheapens the game, then don't do it. If you think that group caching is bogus because five people didn't make the find, only one did, and the rest just signed the log, then don't go group caching. One person complained to me that five people searching means five times the chances of avoiding a DNF and making the find will be five times faster. So what? Five people are enjoying each others' company and participating in a sport they all like.

I'm rambling, I know that. I'm just glad that I live in a state where there are active cachers placing many caches for me to find and I can find them any way, or at any pace, that I want.

firefighterjake
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM
. . . One person complained to me that five people searching means five times the chances of avoiding a DNF and making the find will be five times faster. . . ..

Or in our case on some of the caches we DNFed it meant we felt like four times the losers for not finding the cache . . . especially when folks after us found the caches easily enough. ;):D

benandtina
04-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Or in our case on some of the caches we DNFed it meant we felt like four times the losers for not finding the cache . . . especially when folks after us found the caches easily enough. ;):D

LOL! What's really bad is Ben, Cano and I did the Thomas College caches the same day you did it... we followed your footprints in snow and STILL couldn't find it. Know what it feels like when 3 people can't do it even with someone else's trail guiding us right to it? hehe

benandtina
04-02-2010, 02:04 PM
As for the archive log being edited, I removed one line about logging after a certain date. I did not think that was appropriate and I added a comment about a note that was posted by someone else (that I deleted) that took me to task a bit. I did not feel it appropriate to have that kind of comment or discourse on the cache page.

I'm sorry! I hope I didn't make you feel like you had to explain the edit... that wasn't my intention at all. I was just pointing out that the current archive post seemed perfectly polite to me but acknowledging that I may have missed something. Sorry if it seemed like I meant something else :(

TeamHorwich
04-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Sorry, not trying to be negative, but "true" centum?!? come on, it is not just the power runs that make it easier to do 100 in a day...it is also the sheer quantity of new caches all over. If you are just starting out, you can easily get 100 in a day just in and around Portland...in fact a relatively new cacher did just that a week or so ago! I could head over to almost any other big city and do the same if I haven't cached there before...

TeamHorwich
04-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I refuse to program my phone to receive emails that will then alert me to a new cache posting the very second it comes out so that I can get there for the FTF before anyone else even gets a chance to read the newly published cache. I'm amused at those people who do that and then try to write in the log that they just happened to be in the neighborhood and that's why they got the FTF. I don't fish in a barrel and then puff my chest up and tell everyone what a good fisherman I am. When I first started caching I was out the door whenever I thought I might be FTF.
So my question is do you get any alerts? Are phone alerts really that different than regular email alerts, especially since many newer phones get email too? Isn't having always on broadband internet an advantage too?! How about being a premium member at all - also a big advantage. Sure, I run for FTF's when I can as well as go caching in areas I haven't and put out caches pretty regularly (and on trails whenever possible...) BTW, what is your equipment when you fish ; )

Mapachi
04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Well, I am sure there are cachers out there from around the area that have wanted to try a "Power Run" to find out what all the "Hoopla" was about, but didn't want to drive to Old Town or Kennebunk.
Now we need a power runs in Whitapitlock and Livermore! You know...Spred em' out!

brdad
04-02-2010, 08:21 PM
If we made every cache possibility available close to everyone just so they would not have to drive 75 miles to get it, why would they be inspired to go somewhere else to cache? I've said before plenty of times, I would not want one of my Battleship caches in every town, that would just get annoying. Variety is key, hide something that hasn't been done!

masterson of the universe
04-02-2010, 10:25 PM
I am just waiting for someone to place 5 different types of caches all in the same area as a regular scheduled event now to make the Adventure challenge doable by anyone. Then, maybe we can archive all the caches that are in Delorme maps that are out of the way so that challenge can be completed very easily as well. Any other challenge caches in the state that can be simplified to the point they are no longer challenges? I completely understand Dick wanting to archive the cache. Yes I did the Stud Mill Road series because I wanted to try a power run and yes I logged the actual Centrum Cache about 4 months later when I was able to get to Scarborough.

Before the power runs, I had been working on the AlphaNumeric Challenge and would have fun when I came across a number or letter that I didn't have yet and there was a sense of accomplishment as my list of needs got smaller and smaller. No offense to Mike, after doing the SMR, it gave me the all the numbers and letters I was missing to complete both AlphaNumeric and Centrum. It certainly wasn't cheating as I physically logged all the caches but in a sense I kind of feel like I cheated myself. Honestly, the SMR was draining over the day getting in and out of the car so many times but I can only imagine what it would be like to try and do in an area like Portland where parking right next to a cache is not always readily available.

In borrowing Brdad's motto, play the game you want to. As long as you don't lose sleep over what you've done, what others think of how you played really doesn't mean a dang thing.

CARoperPhotography
04-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I haven't had the chance to keep up with all the postings on this topic all day, which is a bit frustrating. I don't have the luxury of being able to watch each post come in and respond to it, although I wish I had been able to. So I will keep this short and to the point.

Not too long ago, a thread was posted here called Stud Mill and Star Wars are for Whimps, or something to that effect. When I see threads like that and people bashing my series, and then the Centum cache archived and the cache owner saying that he was sorry for ever placing the cache in the first place, and that Maine now seems to be the place to go for power runs, it seems like a slap in my face, and not to speak for Mike but a slap in his face as well.

Everyone gets down on me for my forthright comments and views about caching and caching issues. Everyone criticizes me for bringing issues to light publicly instead of privately emailing someone. But where is the criticism for the same type of stuff done by others on here and in Geocaching.

The vast majority who criticize my caches, only know of me because of the Star Wars series and because I am currently the top cache hider in Maine. And they generally have never done a single one of my caches. I challenge them to actually do my caches. My Star Wars series is NOT the majority of my caches, but it brings cachers from a far to the area and not only do they do the series but they hit varied other caches by myself and other placers. I have regular sized caches placed within the Star Wars run as well. And I have many many caches which bring you to special, historic, or scenic spots, and many which are placed for the pure devious fun of people enjoying an "evil" hide.

I put quite a bit of work into my cache placements. I do quite a bit of cache repair and replacement as well, and that includes on caches that are not even mine! Recently I replaced several caches in the area owned by out of state cachers! I did that because I am a good person, and fellow cacher. I went out and did it on my own without being asked to. I did it in addition to the regular volume of repair on my own caches.... which I keep up with!

Instead of saying that you are sorry you ever placed the cache because darn it, people have placed so many caches which makes it easier to log the Centum cache, why not just change the logging requirements, and make it a DOUBLE centum cache where you have to find 200 in a day! Save us the melodrama and whining about how it is so easy nowadays to do a centum day of caching. End of story.

Fins_Up
04-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Let's get this back on a positive note. I can't wait to see all the logs come in for this series over this great Easter weekend. We couldn't have planned a better opening weekend as far as weather goes for this series. I will be out to check on a couple of DNFs on mine tomorrow so hopefully I will run into some of you out there on the trails. Cache On and keep those Fins Up!!

CARoperPhotography
04-02-2010, 11:07 PM
I know Marcipanek and I are already planning to head up sometime in the next couple of weeks and hit this new series! Too bad we both spend so much time working. If only we could find a way to make money while caching! Any one have any ideas?

masterson of the universe
04-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I definitely appreciate all the new caches as I don't have the opportunites to really stray from the state so don't get me wrong...Great work to the Power Rangers for hiding and to Tat for publishing them all. I will eventually get to these bit by bit rather than working another all day power run and will have fun doing them I'm sure.
I think Dicks issue has reinspired an idea I had for a cache hide that I had put on the back burner...Now might be the time.

brdad
04-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Instead of saying that you are sorry you ever placed the cache because darn it, people have placed so many caches which makes it easier to log the Centum cache, why not just change the logging requirements, and make it a DOUBLE centum cache where you have to find 200 in a day! Save us the melodrama and whining about how it is so easy nowadays to do a centum day of caching. End of story.

IMO the problem with doubling the requirements to 200 is that it would just be further escalating the issue which frustrated the owner to begin with. Humans have this desire to make things easier and easier which is a great trait and a horrible trait at the same time. If a challenge has enough safeguards, it prevents people from making it easier. Unfortunately, just like the best safes, people find ways around the safeguards.

The only safeguard that may have helped with the centum might have been to restrict the allowable caches to those placed before the placed date of the challenge. The problem with safeguards is the more you have the harder it is to validate challenge requirement claims.

I have been working on a challenge myself and am hoping I can keep it fun for those that choose to attempt it while keeping people from making it easier. It is not easy to foresee what methods everyone will use to meet a goal.

Regardless, as you said this should be the end of the story. This thread was intended as a positive thread about a bunch of caches placed which the placers thought were a step above and which would be enjoyed by the majority.

shuman road searchers
04-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Let's get this back on a positive note. I can't wait to see all the logs come in for this series over this great Easter weekend. We couldn't have planned a better opening weekend as far as weather goes for this series. I will be out to check on a couple of DNFs on mine tomorrow so hopefully I will run into some of you out there on the trails. Cache On and keep those Fins Up!!

I agree with you Jason!! Thanks for being a part of this and I look forward to finding yours. I would expect a bunch of emails this weekend.:D

Mainiac1957
04-03-2010, 06:32 AM
If only we could find a way to make money while caching! Any one have any ideas?

Chadd if you can figure a way to do this then you would really be on to something!!:cool:

Power runs are just another facet of caching. I do them all so it really doesn't matter to me anymore. So is it about the numbers for me. Not really. That's why my 4000th cache was a Star Wars grab and go and not some well planned special cache. It was about who I was caching with at the time. Nuff said...;)

JustKev
04-03-2010, 06:43 AM
I know Marcipanek and I are already planning to head up sometime in the next couple of weeks and hit this new series! Too bad we both spend so much time working. If only we could find a way to make money while caching! Any one have any ideas?

Seems I recall you've found a way to spend money. Something involving a sign saying a road was closed? :eek:

shuman road searchers
04-03-2010, 06:52 AM
I think all you need to do is have the state of Maine create a position that has to go and inspect Maine properties ( guard rails, street signs, trees etc)and while there you can do that cache.:)

darterkitfox
04-03-2010, 07:31 AM
To all of you caching up there this weekend, please leave at least one of those pathtags so that I can add it to my collection. I have left well over a hundred and fifty of ours here in Maine but have only found about 7 of other peoples.

TRF
04-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Chadd if you can figure a way to do this then you would really be on to something!!:cool:

Just pick all the cans and bottles in the ditches next to the caches. :) See lots of folks doing that this time of year and they are not even mixing the pleasure of logging caches. :p

Mapachi
04-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Pick Fiddleheads while caching!

JustKev
04-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Pick Fiddleheads while caching!

And here I'm drooling all over my keyboard thanks to Mapachi bringing up the thought of fiddleheads. You're a cruel man. First you hide your caches in such a way that people need medicinal assistance for recovery after looking for one and then you torment them by bringing up such a delicious food item before they're available.....meanie.

Mapachi
04-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Having gone out and grabbed a few of my fellow Powert Rangers caches, I can tell you,..... THIS IS NO ORDINARY POWER RUN!
You had better have your A game going if you plan to get a hundred in a day. Many of these are hard finds and some require small hikes or 4wheel drives!

LaughingTerry
04-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Having gone out and grabbed a few of my fellow Powert Rangers caches, I can tell you,..... THIS IS NO ORDINARY POWER RUN!
You had better have your A game going if you plan to get a hundred in a day. Many of these are hard finds and some require small hikes or 4wheel drives!

I have done over 50 of them driving my Subaru and my foot in the "boot". It's taken 2 days and a couple phone-a-friends though. LOL

hollora
04-04-2010, 09:46 PM

Well good going for all you guys!

brdad
04-05-2010, 06:36 AM
All this talk about numbers and power trails lately and beating dead horses. Last night I was searching Google for something completely different and this old thread showed up. It might help you people who don't understand where things were just five years ago...

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=568

firefighterjake
04-05-2010, 07:55 AM
LOL! What's really bad is Ben, Cano and I did the Thomas College caches the same day you did it... we followed your footprints in snow and STILL couldn't find it. Know what it feels like when 3 people can't do it even with someone else's trail guiding us right to it? hehe

HehHeh . . . well to be fair we kind of handicapped you . . . we meandered all over the place like a flock of drunken turkeys using a Magellan GPSr . . . with all of those tracks it's no wonder you DNFed some of those caches . . . heck, you're lucky you didn't get dizzy and end up sick by following all of those circles our tracks made in the snow. ;):D

firefighterjake
04-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Well I once found a couple of $100 bills in caches . . . unfortunately one of them was emblazoned with the words Haffy Dollars (I think that was only good for use at the Casa de la Fiesta) and the other was Iraqi money with Saddam Hussein on it and since he was deposed at the time I'm thinking it is pretty much useless. ;):D

Of course you could always follow behind Hiram . . . if there is a toy in a cache that he is enamored with he'll typically drop in a $1 since he often forgets his caching swag. ;):D

firefighterjake
04-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Power runs are just another facet of caching. I do them all so it really doesn't matter to me anymore. So is it about the numbers for me. Not really. That's why my 4000th cache was a Star Wars grab and go and not some well planned special cache. It was about who I was caching with at the time. Nuff said...;)

I realize I used my Jedi mind trick on you to wipe your mind . . . but you do remember that you were with me and Hiram . . . for the whole day. On the other hand you also were with the other one . . . so I guess maybe that's who you were talking about, huh?;):D

pm28570
04-05-2010, 08:19 AM
All this talk about numbers and power trails lately and beating dead horses. Last night I was searching Google for something completely different and this old thread showed up. It might help you people who don't understand where things were just five years ago...

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=568

How priceless is that? :) And.....Hiram was hijacking threads even in the early years :D

WhereRWe?
04-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Sheesh! "The Good Old Days". I remember them well. :D:D

Mapachi
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM
yeah, I miss horses and buggys, and the telegraph...Jeez....IT's THE FUTURE, Man!
Get down and get jiggy with it!