View Full Version : Another tick disease.

Waterski
04-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I wanted to pass a little information to you all that cache with your pets, and also to make you aware of this as it can also affect humans. My dog was in serious joint pain and overall tenderness this week, lack of energy, and shivering at times. My first thought was lyme disease, as she has already experienced that quite a few years ago. Off to the vet we go, only to find out after blood work and testing in the office, that it is not lyme, but another tick issue called anaplasma. This is apparently just starting to get around in Maine, as I understood it. There is no vaccination like for lyme. Be aware if you get sick or your pet gets sick that it could be this, and keep a good watch out for ticks. They are very abundant in some of themidcoast areas. From my research on the internet it sounds like it may be a relative of Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

cachecrashers4
04-07-2010, 07:51 PM
The ticks are very abundant around here. After the first 4, we started saving them in a bottle. We have 8 in there right now and have to check Zoe daily.

Mainiac1957
04-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I have the Frontline on the dogs already. I am putting the spray on me too. I hate the darn things

Waterski
04-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Cachecrashers.. do you use Dr. Underhill? He had a bag of them when I went in.

brdad
04-07-2010, 10:34 PM
You know, if you saved those ticks in a bottle, you could encase them in an acrylic teardrop and make ear rings out of them. Now there's a unique sig item!

So is this disease carried by wood ticks or deer ticks or both?

benandtina
04-08-2010, 09:15 AM
We started up flea/tick prevention again for Andre and the cats this month. The cats were not fans, but they'll deal.

I hope your pup is going to be okay! Poor girl :(

Mapachi
04-08-2010, 09:55 AM
The best way to check your body for ticks? ..... Shower with a friend!

Besides, it's a nice way to get clean!

Oh yeah, don't shower with your Cat! ........Could get dangerous in that shower stall!

dubord207
04-09-2010, 06:47 AM
I found one on my belly last night burrowing its way in! Ticks freak me out. I'm starting myself on Frontline!

Rattish
04-09-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm a long time lurker, not much of a talker, but had to put my two cents in on this topic. Yesterday I spent way too long in the woods searching for and eventually finding Return of Goblers Ammo Can. Returning to the car, I spotted two ticks on my hand looking for a place to latch on. I got rid of them, but couldn't get rid of the creepy feeling of something crawling over my skin. I searched for more when I got home and couldn't find any, but still couldn't shake that creepy feeling. It wasn't until I was getting ready for bed that I finally found the culprit, big and fat buried deep in my arm pit. I don't know about Frontline, but I'm thinking about getting me one of those flea and tick collars!

hollora
04-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Tics are awful - have hated them for years..........bring on Lewey's!

Mapachi
04-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Vaseline suffocates them.

masterson of the universe
04-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Vaseline? Does that cause them to die in place or do they attempt to pull their head out to survive? I had to pull one out of the back of my sons neck this past weekend after spending the weekend in and around the woods. I think it may have been in overnight as he had pajamas with a hood on and it was just at the base of the hairline blending in. I felt bad as he was scared to heck to have me going at it with rubbing alcohol and a pair of tweezers. It was almost impossible to get with tweezers without taking a couple pieces of hair with it so he was just about screaming in pain. Horrible horrible horrible feeling to have to cause the pain but be finally got the darn thing out. Check kids well to get em before they burrow.

brdad
04-09-2010, 06:48 PM
I have heard Vaseline is not a good idea. Supposedly the idea is to remove the tick unwillingly, if he exits on his own will he will regurgitate some of the saliva as he withdraws and this is often when diseases enter the body.

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/tick.asp

JustKev
04-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Just don't mess up and put K-Y Intense on them or you might have an aroused tick to deal with.

Waterski
04-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Also, you have to be careful when removing them with tweezers because if you "squish " any of the tick it goes into your skin. Tick removers are better. If you have a tick embeded and engorged in your skin I would definitely get to my dr. and get an antibiotic myself. They can give you a dose of two pills to try to ward off lyme, but I think you have to do this very soon. Thats what I did last week when one was in my back..but its up to you and how seriously you take it. Having had lyme once I don' t want to take any more chances.

pm28570
04-10-2010, 07:23 AM
....what are people doing to prevent/keep off ticks? Spray? Clothing? Duct tape? If you're opposed to chemicals, what steps do you take?

hollora
04-10-2010, 08:23 PM
There is an all natural product, Maine made product, which is made by a Native American and I have found it to be very effective. It is available in many Maine stores. Works on tics and other bugs - safe to use with children.

PM me if you want more information.

Mapachi
04-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Light colored clothes (so I can see the ticks) Long sleeve shirts with tight wrists. Blousing rubbers on my ankles or elastic ankled sweatpants. I also keep "OFF" wipes tucked around the collar of my shirt. I have brushed many ticks off me, but have only found one embedded in three years of caching! (I took that off with a tick puller and it came out with it's head attached.)

firefighterjake
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
The best way to check your body for ticks? ..... Shower with a friend!

Besides, it's a nice way to get clean!

Oh yeah, don't shower with your Cat! ........Could get dangerous in that shower stall!

This made my day . . . I actually laughed out loud . . . but I refuse to post LOL . . . but I did . . . I really started laughing out loud. Funny stuff Mapachi.

firefighterjake
04-12-2010, 01:51 PM
....what are people doing to prevent/keep off ticks? Spray? Clothing? Duct tape? If you're opposed to chemicals, what steps do you take?

Easy answer: Go caching with Hiram . . . for some reason he attracts all the ticks. ;):D

firefighterjake
04-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Vaseline suffocates them.

Ummm . . . not so sure of that.

In my first aid classes I generally recommend extracting them . . . being careful to remove the head . . . and if need be see a doctor.

firefighterjake
04-12-2010, 01:55 PM
My wife's grandfather in CT died many, many years ago as an indirect result of a tick bite. He came down with Rocky Mountain Fever and then had a stroke when he was recuperating from the illness . . .

Mapachi
04-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Vaseline does sufocate them. Now, I'm not sure if it's a good thing to do or not.
The lit end of a cigar kills them too! I'm not sure if that's a good idea either.
I do know that if you hold a shot glass full of tequila over the tick for five to six minutes; the tick will start to sing "Sweet Adiline"!

dubord207
04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Easy Pat! Just take the prescribed dosages of your meds!:D

Vaseline does sufocate them. Now, I'm not sure if it's a good thing to do or not.
The lit end of a cigar kills them too! I'm not sure if that's a good idea either.
I do know that if you hold a shot glass full of tequila over the tick for five to six minutes; the tick will start to sing "Sweet Adiline"!

Waterski
04-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Are yoiu pouring it over the tick, or just holding it over the tick? HMMM. If you google some of these tick diseases, you may not want to go out in the woods again. Guard rail caches are sounding better and better.:-)

Mapachi
04-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Are yoiu pouring it over the tick, or just holding it over the tick? HMMM. If you google some of these tick diseases, you may not want to go out in the woods again. Guard rail caches are sounding better and better.:-)

Yeah, until you reach in the end and pull out a wasp's nest :eek: or a furry critter......OOPs! I forgot BEN!:D

JustPJ66
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
The american family physicians web site says the following about ticks and their removal .
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0815/p646.html

The do's and dont's so to speak....I should say we just use the tick puller on any we get in us but just so you know what the doctors recommend......

Waterski
04-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Interesting. Unfortunately, sometimes you do not know how long you have had the tick on your body, 24 hrs?, and sometimes you never even see the tick and get the symptoms and don't know what it is. If I had not seen the red rash and been reading about lyme the first time,due to my dogs illness, I would never have known it was lyme. It seemed like just the flu and I never saw a tick. A friend that works in the ER told me the same thing about his lyme illness last week. Only a certain percent of people even get a rash. It is a very strange disease to determine, and worth reading up on if you are spending time in the woods so you can be educated if you get sick.

Mapachi
04-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Can you be born with Lime's disease?

cachecrashers4
04-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Can you be born with Lime's disease?

Yes, I've seen these poor children. Green orbs stuck to their little bodies and a light citrus smell in the air whenever they are near. :eek::D

JustKev
04-16-2010, 09:52 PM
You put da lime in da coconut and steer it all up.

darterkitfox
04-16-2010, 09:58 PM
I think they can be cured by putting the lime in the coconut and drink it all up.

darterkitfox
04-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey, that previous comment wasn't there when I posted!

darterkitfox
04-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Dial up is always 10 minutes too slow

darterkitfox
04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
My the way, GeoKeiko was diagnosed with Lyme disease when we came back from our November vacation and found she had lost several pounds while we were gone and wasn't eating. Three trips to the vets for blood work, and some pills, and about $800, and she seems to have fully recovered. Last year my wife found a tick in my back that left it's head behind and my wife had to cut it out with a knife that left a scar for several months. I started with joint aches and feeling week and when I had a physical I told the doctor about it. She asked if I had a bullseye bruise around it and I said no. She said I didn't have Lyme then. I can't believe that is a surefire way of telling. Some people get stung by a bee and swell up to unbelievable size and can't breathe. I get stung by a dozen and it's just a ten minute inconvenience. I can't believe everyone will get bullseye marks from a tick infection. Guess I'll trust the doctors. After all, they don't make mistakes and they make real good money for it.

Ekidokai
04-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Freewill Darterkitfox. Always feel free to look into anything further. Get second opinions and research.

If I believed everything that people told me, bad guys would be roaming free, ghosts would be jumping out of every shadow and those aliens never would have let me go.

kayaking loon
04-18-2010, 12:35 PM
So is this disease carried by wood ticks or deer ticks or both?[/QUOTE]

The disease is mostly in deer ticks but can be found in some dog ticks. Now, my question is, is a wood tick the same as a dog tick???

kayaking loon
04-18-2010, 12:41 PM

There is a spray, available at WalMart and other places, that you spray on your clothes, good for 6 washings.. it's called permethrin. Just pick a set of "caching clothes", hang them on a line outside, spray well and wear the same clothes all summer.:D

kayaking loon
04-18-2010, 12:44 PM
. Guard rail caches are sounding better and better.:-)

GRCs are sounding better and better to me too. I think I'll just do GRCs for the summer. And I'm going to put one out here soon.. but ticks don't seem to be that big a problem here in the frozen north. I only get them when I cache in Augusta. So why don't you all come caching here? I love to meet other cachers!

WhereRWe?
04-18-2010, 12:52 PM
GRCs are sounding better and better to me too. I think I'll just do GRCs for the summer. And I'm going to put one out here soon.. but ticks don't seem to be that big a problem here in the frozen north. I only get them when I cache in Augusta. So why don't you all come caching here? I love to meet other cachers!

I've never seen any ticks around my area, either. Anyone want to trade for some black flies? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

dubord207
04-18-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm afraid there's plenty of them in this area. I did a few of my fellow Power Ranger caches and woke up the next night with one burrowing into my side. Found another gnawing on my ankle....and I checked but didn't have Di check me. Should have let Eagle Eye look me over and put up with her usual "commentary" about my physique.

I thought I had it last year, for sure. The first test was iinconclusive so the blood work went to a lab on the west coast for what I'm told was much like DNA testing.

Negative results but all the symptoms. I was referred to so rheumatoid spe******ts and had every test known to mankind with a final diagnosis of arthritis, thankfully, not the rheumatoid variety.

It's nasty stuff. Bill Chinook, a friend of mine, took his life. We need to check ourselves and take this seriously.

JustKev
04-18-2010, 08:19 PM

JustPJ66 and I were up in your area today. Took Route 17 from Readfield all the way to Rangeley then took the S Shore Drive across to 4 and meandered across 16 to Kingfield. Then 27 to Farmington, 2 out of Farmington back down 27 home to Belgrade. Managed to abscond with a Kayaking Loon pathtag from one cache. We'll add it to our collection of cacher specific items.

Waterski
04-18-2010, 09:11 PM
I am quite certain that some reports say you don't aways get the bullseye rashe. I am not sure why a doctor would tell you that. Makes you wonder if everyone really takes this seriously.

darterkitfox
04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Let's see. $200 to the doctor to be told if you don't have a bullseye, you don't have the disease. My takehome pay was about $147 that week. Do you really think I am going to pay another $200 for a second opinion. Now that I've hit 53 and am officially in old age, I'll go with the opinion that it's just normal aches and pains.

JustKev
04-19-2010, 04:08 AM
Should have let Eagle Eye look me over and put up with her usual "commentary" about my physique.

Lawyers have physiques?

dubord207
04-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Twice, just yesterday I had to tell two different total strangers: " No, I'm not on steroids but thank you for asking!":D

Lawyers have physiques?

brdad
04-19-2010, 06:25 AM
We are always more at ease caching here in Bangor or to the north. I've yet to get a tick on my up here, but have seen them on dogs so I know they are here. What gets me is - all this technology - we sent a man to the moon 40 years ago - and yet, we can't get rid of these things????

The disease is mostly in deer ticks but can be found in some dog ticks. Now, my question is, is a wood tick the same as a dog tick???

Yes, the American dog tick and wood tick are the same thing - Dermacenter variabilis. There is a brown dog tick as well, which is very rare here and from what I read cannot survive our Winters.

JustPJ66
04-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Here in Belgrade in the last 3 or 4 years the tick population has really exploded. we have to be quite careful now not to bring ticks in to the house and we have to be sure the dog has his flea and tick meds on time too. There didnt use to be any ticks up this far so wait they will keep moving and when they do they bring all their nasty diseases with them. Our dog was treated for lyme disease several years ago which he got when we lived in Farmingdale.

They are out there.:eek: ....an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure so we take some percautions even if we might not think we need to. :D

rcwhit
04-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Here in Belgrade in the last 3 or 4 years the tick population has really exploded. :D

I'm sure its just a coincidence, but I heard the tick population has really gone down in the last 3 or 4 years in Farmindale where you moved from. :eek:

JustPJ66
04-19-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm sure its just a coincidence, but I heard the tick population has really gone down in the last 3 or 4 years in Farmindale where you moved from. :eek:

Thanks Bob

firefighterjake
04-20-2010, 07:41 AM
We are always more at ease caching here in Bangor or to the north. I've yet to get a tick on my up here, but have seen them on dogs so I know they are here. What gets me is - all this technology - we sent a man to the moon 40 years ago - and yet, we can't get rid of these things????

Yes, the American dog tick and wood tick are the same thing - Dermacenter variabilis. There is a brown dog tick as well, which is very rare here and from what I read cannot survive our Winters.

The ticks seem to slowly be working their way north . . . I never remember seeing ticks in the area where I live . . . but in the past year or so it seems as though they're suddenly appearing . . . perhaps this year it may be due in part to the very mild winter.

firefighterjake
04-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Lawyers have physiques?

Somewhere here is a joke about a spine, heart and brain or lack thereof -- but I've met Dubord and kind of like the guy so I can't be that mean . . . besides I still question whether or not he is a real lawyer since he certainly doesn't act like one . . . and yes Dubord . . . that is a compliment.;):D

firefighterjake
04-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I tell ya . . . the sure fire way that I've found to avoid any ticks is to go caching with Hiram . . . he'll tell ya that he's a chick magnet, but the truth is he's a tick magnet -- all the buggers seem to be attracted to him . . . must be those Carhartts. :) ;)

Mapachi
04-20-2010, 07:54 AM
The smell your skin gives off, when you drink beer, attracts ticks. Eat five or six cloves of Garlic each day. This keeps the Ticks away as well as Black flies, Mosquitoes, Chiggers, No-see-ums, Ants, Bees, Wasps, Fleas, Spiders, Scorpions, Bear, wolves, and wooly Mammoths!
One warning though...Italian women find the smell of garlic to be an aphrodisiac!

JustPJ66
04-20-2010, 07:58 AM
vampires aint crazy about it either

benandtina
04-26-2010, 08:36 AM
I think this entire thread jinxed me. Before reading this I had NEVER seen a tick on me... then suddenly this weekend I got attacked by a swarm of them while we were caching in NJ and RI. Well, four, but it may as well have been a swarm.

I had the creeps all weekend because of it. Poor Ben spent 9 hours in the car with me yesterday and had to have conversations like...
"It's a tick!!"
"No it isn't."
"You didn't look."
"I'm driving."
"Well, LOOK, it is a tick"
"It is a freckle."
"I don't think Indian people get freckles."
"It isn't a tick."
"I'm gonna die."

I'm surprised he didn't pull over at the nearest courthouse to divorce me.

Ekidokai
04-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Or just slow down and push you out.

vicbiker
04-27-2010, 08:48 AM
I got into the ticks a few weeks ago in the Waterboro area and now Cheryl is convinced that I have Lyme disease. So it's off to the V.A. today to get checked out...she also was friends with Bill Chinook and gets really worried whenever the possibility of Lyme disease is mentioned.

Ekidokai
04-27-2010, 11:29 AM
I take it this Bill guy has a bad tick story?

Mapachi
04-27-2010, 02:06 PM
The group "Ween" has a song called "Tick".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFt15NnrHOc

dubord207
04-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Great guy, terrific musician, had the disease for many years, horrible by most accounts and took his own life as a result.

I take it this Bill guy has a bad tick story?

vicbiker
04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Hate it when Cheryl is right...the results were positive for Lyme disease. Actually it's nice to have a wife who cares as much as Cheryl does.

Waterski
04-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Sorry to hear that Vic Biker. Did they put your on doxycycline?

Waterski
04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
And one more thing....since one doctor told someone on here that they always will get a rash with lyme ..inquiring minds want to know...did you get a rash??

vicbiker
04-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Sorry to hear that Vic Biker. Did they put your on doxycycline? They did and to answer the other question I had the classic rash, but not all get the rash and some that do will have it some where they won't see it. What I did learn from this is to always listen to your wife and that deer ticks come in a variety of sizes. This second lesson is what almost got me into trouble, as I thought from what I had read that all deer ticks were the "period" size. Not true as adult deer ticks are the size of dog ticks with the females being slightly smaller then the males. The tick that got me was a female deer tick and not a wood or dog tick like I had thought it was. Never to old to learn.

Waterski
05-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Thats what I was told , that not all get the rash. I did have the classic rash also.
Good to know about the size of ticks as people seem to think they are only very small.

dubord207
05-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Hope you are ok, Vic. The ticks are unbelievable this year. We did the Dodge Point preserve caches today and 3 others. We both sprayed ourselves and re-sprayed midway through the hike with bug dope with Deet. So we get home and I'm about to jump in the shower and guess what I had on one of butt cheeks? Yeah, and clearly a deer tick but fortunately it had bitten me a couple of times but hadn't imbedded.

I hate these things but I'm not about to stop caching. We all need to be VERY dilligent now. The consequences of Lyme Disease are horrendous!

vicbiker
05-01-2010, 09:43 PM
I hate these things but I'm not about to stop caching. We all need to be VERY dilligent now. The consequences of Lyme Disease are horrendous! You are right Dan, we can't let the ticks win. Just have to check ourselves and each other more carefully. Maybe more boob marches would be a good idea:rolleyes: or possibly group showers or naked hot tub parties.:D

shuman road searchers
05-01-2010, 10:44 PM
You are right Dan, we can't let the ticks win. Just have to check ourselves and each other more carefully. Maybe more boob marches would be a good idea:rolleyes: or possibly group showers or naked hot tub parties.:D

I think if this is the case than we may pick our caching partners more carefully!:D:D

pjpreb
05-02-2010, 09:51 PM
Thats what I was told , that not all get the rash. I did have the classic rash also.
Good to know about the size of ticks as people seem to think they are only very small.

The tick I had 2 years ago was the size of a fleck of pepper. It was a fully engorged female deer tick that tested positive for Lyme disease. (I didn't get a rash) Doxycycline is not for sissies. That stuff is murder on your stomach and digestive system!

Waterski
05-02-2010, 10:13 PM
I am glad that we are having such a long discussion on this issue and bringing it to the attention of many. Thanks for your imput everyone. I was told by a college student in the " know",that we needed 21 days of a certain frigid temp this winter, to help curtail the ticks and it did not happen. Look out everyone.

firefighterjake
05-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Went caching on Saturday . . . while at the Waterville event I casually reached down to scratch an itch and found a tick on my calf.

Then while hanging out at the hospital parking lot with Hiram (yeah, it's a long story, but don't worry . . . no geocachers were hurt in the telling of this story) I was running my fingers through my hair and found another.

Thought I had them all until I was down at the event in Portland . . . and found another on my arm.

Got home around 1 or so in the morning (it was a very long day for me) . . . undressed . . . and found one on my belly.

What the heck . . . until this year I never saw a tick except for the very occasional tick on my cats . . . never had any on me personally.

pm28570
05-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Then while hanging out at the hospital parking lot with Hiram (yeah, it's a long story, but don't worry . . . no geocachers were hurt in the telling of this story) I was running my fingers through my hair and found another.

......ok, now I'm confused. One more time, which of you is the tick magnet and which one the chick magnet? :D

firefighterjake
05-03-2010, 08:41 AM
......ok, now I'm confused. One more time, which of you is the tick magnet and which one the chick magnet? :D

Hehhehheh . . . made me laugh.

Hiram is the tick magnet . . . my mistake was in not caching with him in the a.m.

As for the chick magnet . . . that would be Maniac . . . he always gets the woman. It's true . . . ask him about the racks he was staring at the other day.;):D

Mapachi
05-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Did someone say Chick magnet? ........That would be me!
No matter where I go, they seem to flock around me! I don't know why, but I don't complain.
Maybe it's because I'm so shy!

WhereRWe?
05-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Good article in today's Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/142535.html).

pm28570
05-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Did someone say Chick magnet? ........That would be me!
No matter where I go, they seem to flock around me! I don't know why, but I don't complain.
Maybe it's because I'm so shy!

Must be the artist in you :D

vicbiker
05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Doxycycline is not for sissies. That stuff is murder on your stomach and digestive system! I think I've been quite lucky so far anyway...stomach cramps has been the biggest problem so far, although today my skin felt really weird all day...felt like rain was lightly falling on me, but it wasn't and when we went to get lunch I couldn't put my arm out of the window, because when I did it felt like it was on fire. Maybe be in the sun the past two days has something to do with my skin feeling like that.

Waterski
05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
That drug does make you more sensitive to the sun and they advise to avoid sun exposure....you probably already knew that.

brdad
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I was sitting outside this morning and Lee noticed something on my neck, sure enough it was a wood tick. :eek: I don't think it had buried far if at all but it's still creepy. I think it must have taken a ride from the south this weekend.

We should make up a name for that heebie jeebie feeling you get thinking about ticks. I overheard several people at the events comparing it to being alone with Hiram in the woods :), but it should have an official name.

The offender has been incarcerated and is awaiting trial.

pm28570
05-04-2010, 12:26 PM
As for the chick magnet . . . that would be Maniac . . . he always gets the woman. It's true . . . ask him about the racks he was staring at the other day.;):D

Must be the yellow jeep.....can't be the goatee :D

dubord207
05-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Didn't cache today but did go turkey hunting. Sat on the ground and ended up with a deer tick trying to bore into my arm.

It doesn't seem to matter much what you do in the woods, or in this case the fields. The frigging things are everywhere. Keep checking yourself.

Oh, and there's one less 21 pound turkey menancing our neighborhood.:)

JustKev
05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I was sitting outside this morning and Lee noticed something on my neck, sure enough it was a wood tick. :eek: I don't think it had buried far if at all but it's still creepy. I think it must have taken a ride from the south this weekend.

We should make up a name for that heebie jeebie feeling you get thinking about ticks. I overheard several people at the events comparing it to being alone with Hiram in the woods :), but it should have an official name.

The offender has been incarcerated and is awaiting trial.

Hiram Syndrome

Ekidokai
05-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I kind of like the things. I get the magnifying glasses out and look them all over. Really cool and tuff little suckers.

That's ticks not Hiram.

Mapachi
05-04-2010, 07:35 PM

We should make up a name for that heebie jeebie feeling you get thinking about ticks.

I get ONE tick on me and I feel like they are crawling all over me! I get the "Tick Tocks"!!

Waterski
05-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Dubord, Maybe before you shoot too many turkeys, you should find out if they are eating the ticks. :) I heard the Guini (?) hens are the things to buy to eat ticks... but they wake you up VERY early in the morning.

Waterski
05-05-2010, 08:42 AM
That was a good article in the Bangor Daily. The comments on the bottom from the public were also good. They suggest checking out the CANLYME.com, which is Canadas lyme page. First line...Maine's Lyme increases by 300%. I am going back and read some more.

eebee
05-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Ticks are something that I haven't worried too much about here in New Brunswick, although I know they are here as well. After reading through this thread, I am going to be a lot more careful. Thanks for bringing this up!

dubord207
05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Actually, most wild turkeys are covered with ticks. After gob-ler and I cleaned one the other day, I had a one running up my arm!:eek:

Dubord, Maybe before you shoot too many turkeys, you should find out if they are eating the ticks. :) I heard the Guini (?) hens are the things to buy to eat ticks... but they wake you up VERY early in the morning.

Waterski
05-08-2010, 08:42 PM
So turkeys are another tick magnet. Poor things...

hollora
05-08-2010, 09:50 PM
That and deer and moose - just ask the other part of my family. You hunt them - they will be on the territory..................

firefighterjake
05-10-2010, 07:07 AM
So turkeys are another tick magnet. Poor things...

Hmmm . . .

Aaron is a tick magnet.

Turkeys are tick magnets.

Using my logical reasoning . . . Aaron is a turkey? ;):D

Mainiac1957
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!