View Full Version : What happened...?

JustPJ66
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Today Justkev and I did as we always have done and he plans a caching days worth of caches for us to go find on a specific route or with a goal in mind. He loaded them into the gps' and off we go to find them. Except this time when we got home and went to log the 16 caches we did today there was one I couldnt log.

See, as a married couple with one income, but still wanting to support as much of the sport/game as we are able we chose to put a preimum membership for our household under JustKev's caching name. One of the caches today was a preimum cache. Now I suspect we have done one or two of those in the past too and never had an issue with logging it but today not only couldnt i get in to log it but I cant even see it on my map.

Did they add or change this in the last updates they did to the geocaching.com site? Does anyone know? This kinda sucks now that we pay for something we cant use.....any thoughts or ideas?

Mainiac1957
04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Sounds like a members only cache. Yes these are for premium members. Not sure how you may have logged one in the past. Anyone??

pm28570
04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Sounds like a members only cache. Yes these are for premium members. Not sure how you may have logged one in the past. Anyone??

Seems I recall Brdad mentioning of a way for a regular member to log a premium cache. Dave?

brdad
04-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Yes, there is a loophole which was intentionally left so that non-premium members can log members only caches.

This will be easy for you since JustKev has a premium account. All he has to do is visit the cache page under his account and click the "log your visit" link as if he were going to post a log. From there, either copy the ID number or the entire URL of that page. It will look like this, with a different ID number:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=46728

From there, just log into geocaching.com with your account, and then paste the URL into your browser, and log away! :p

A few cache owners do not approve of this practice, but have never heard of it being an issue locally.

JustPJ66
04-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Oh super thanks...i cant think of haw a family with a young child (who has their own caching name) can afford to pay for each family member...goodness if we were to do that it would cost us 90 dollars a year for us and our granddaughter too. we had decided not to go to any other preimum caches because of this happening again but if you say it isnt a local problem to do this logging this way then we wont worry about it now. Thank you for your help! I knew if anyone would know about this stuff you guy and gals would!

Pam

JustPJ66
04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
perhaps geocaching .com should consider a "family membership" for a little more of a yearly cost that you could include up to 3 or 4 cachers in it . That way a family could all enjoy the benefits of membership without breaking the food budget. I ,of course, dont know if something like this would be possible to do but it would we a welcome thing for us and I wouldnt mind paying a bit more for a family either.

brdad
04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I think there might be too much abuse with a family plan. There is no way to regulate who is actually using the accounts, and the extra accounts could be given to or sold to friends.

However, as I said it is an intentional loophole so you are not doing anything wrong by logging in that manner.

JustPJ66
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
yes i suppose there will always be those that would abuse something like that. Shame tho. Thanks again for your help kev and I got 18 more today and one puzzle cache of mapachi's that iam tickled to get too. his wildbunch series! woo hoo. Had a good day. Thanks to Mapachi for those. We enjoyed them

Mapachi
04-09-2010, 06:50 PM
yes i suppose there will always be those that would abuse something like that. Shame tho. Thanks again for your help kev and I got 18 more today and one puzzle cache of mapachi's that iam tickled to get too. his wildbunch series! woo hoo. Had a good day. Thanks to Mapachi for those. We enjoyed them

:D You guys always write such wonderful logs on your finds! :D
This is one of the things that makes hidding a cache so much fun. My thanks to you and to all the other cachers who take the time to enter more then TFTCSL.:)

JustKev
04-09-2010, 06:52 PM
:) Your comment makes the logs well worth while.

dubord207
04-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Awoke this morning to 154 gmails, mostly new finds on my share of the Power Ranger series. It really is a hoot to read the logs of those who choose to make a comment or two. JustKev's sense of humor is a riot, even if he pokes fun at lawyers every so often, fair game in my book but he walked me through the new tile floor I put in the kitchen, so he's one of the good guys in my book.

For those of you that haven't placed a cache, get out and do a few. You'll enjoy the logs and might also be inspired to put an occassional positive notes on some of the caches you find.

Like mapachi, I read them all. It's almost as much fun as finding them!:)

firefighterjake
04-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Awoke this morning to 154 gmails, mostly new finds on my share of the Power Ranger series. It really is a hoot to read the logs of those who choose to make a comment or two. JustKev's sense of humor is a riot, even if he pokes fun at lawyers every so often, fair game in my book but he walked me through the new tile floor I put in the kitchen, so he's one of the good guys in my book.

For those of you that haven't placed a cache, get out and do a few. You'll enjoy the logs and might also be inspired to put an occassional positive notes on some of the caches you find.

Like mapachi, I read them all. It's almost as much fun as finding them!:)

I'm still logging . . . and taking the time to write them . . . so you better read them all! :) ;) Lot o' fun on this cache series . . . and we didn't even get them all.

dubord207
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
OK, folks. If you want to see an first class example of "Creative Logging 101", then click on caches found my FFJ and look at the effort he has put into his logs! I've been falling off the chair laughing. Not only did he have a great time with his geo-buddies, but I feel like I was there watching all the fun! Granted, some of us can type and some may just "peck" but his thoughtful posts made my day!:) Thanks Jason!!

hollora
04-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I will be posting some more tonight. FFJ is a journalist in his other life Dubord - he is a hoot when he write. You should have seen the notes he kept which he is writing from.........when we got back in the jeep he would say - "what was that one?".........ok, got it and there would be some doctor like hen scratching on his tablet of paper. We had a ball yesterday. Have to say - it is fun to do a run with friends for a series such as this one.

shuman road searchers
04-12-2010, 08:20 PM
OK, folks. If you want to see an first class example of "Creative Logging 101", then click on caches found my FFJ and look at the effort he has put into his logs! I've been falling off the chair laughing. Not only did he have a great time with his geo-buddies, but I feel like I was there watching all the fun! Granted, some of us can type and some may just "peck" but his thoughtful posts made my day!:) Thanks Jason!!
I must agree! I just finished reading all of FFJ logs along with 127 other ones and I truly enjoyed his writings!

Fins_Up
04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Same here, I read them all and I must say I have always enjoyed logs from Mapachi, dubord207 and SRS. I am really seeing a lot of others since we put out the new series and FFJ and darterkitfox in particular really take the time to log each one. It really makes it worth the time you put into placing and maintaining a cache when you get to read a good or funny story from someone who found your cache.

firefighterjake
04-13-2010, 07:58 AM

No problem . . . I really enjoyed the day of caching . . . good friends, good variety of caches and some wicked cool places . . . your #28 Wildcat cache was stunningly beautiful . . . I couldn't believe how pretty a spot this was with the triple waterfalls all within sight of the road . . . and the hide was nice as well . . . heck, lots of great caches and places.

And as I said previously . . . if someone is taking the time to hide a cache I sure can take the time to write out a decent log entry . . . heck, that's one of the great things about having a hide of your own . . . reading the log entries . . . and nothing makes me feel as though my hide has been cheapened and is just another number when I read the standard cut and paste "X of Y caches done today" or "Thanks for another smiley."

Now about the only complaint I have Dubord is that I like pictures . . . I would have loved to see some pictures of your old cars . . . or at least some of those Datsuns/Nissan sports cars!

firefighterjake
04-13-2010, 08:00 AM
I will be posting some more tonight. FFJ is a journalist in his other life Dubord - he is a hoot when he write. You should have seen the notes he kept which he is writing from.........when we got back in the jeep he would say - "what was that one?".........ok, got it and there would be some doctor like hen scratching on his tablet of paper. We had a ball yesterday. Have to say - it is fun to do a run with friends for a series such as this one.

And thank you for being so patient Lois . . . and answering me each and every time when I would ask over and over and over again as to what cache was what . . . and also thank you for not impaling yourself on that branch on your race to beat Aaron to that one cache so you could get a pathtag . . . I'm still unsure whether we would have left you impaled on that stick and kept on caching or if we would have dragged you and the stick with us to the hospital . . . ;) :)

Hen scratching huh? Yeah, sometimes I can't even figure out what I wrote . . . ;)

firefighterjake
04-13-2010, 08:06 AM
I must agree! I just finished reading all of FFJ logs along with 127 other ones and I truly enjoyed his writings!

Not as much as I enjoyed the caches you guys put out . . . every good cache deserves a good log entry is my motto.

I really have to say . . . to the non-believers . . . yes BrDad this would be you ;) . . . you need to do this cache series. Yes, it is a power cache . . . yes, you can easily do 100 in a day . . . but there is a real variety of caches here . . . a good number were not just placed a long a route . . . many, if not most, are in specific locations with views of streams, country fields, the mountains, etc.

firefighterjake
04-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Same here, I read them all and I must say I have always enjoyed logs from Mapachi, dubord207 and SRS. I am really seeing a lot of others since we put out the new series and FFJ and darterkitfox in particular really take the time to log each one. It really makes it worth the time you put into placing and maintaining a cache when you get to read a good or funny story from someone who found your cache.

Agreed . . . I didn't read all the log entries myself . . . but I remember reading one or two from Darterkitfox that left me laughing out loud . . . and DKF is just like me . . . most definitely not a fan of Dodges!