View Full Version : PN-40 Problems

NativeMainer
04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Anyone with a PN-40 ever have a problem with it not powering up? I tried to start mine this morning and I got nothing. I thought I left the unit on overnight and killed the batteries, but I tried three or four sets of batteries. Nothing.

NativeMainer
04-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Of course, no sooner did I post this when I decided to give it one last try. It fired right up, no problem. ***SIGH***

Fins_Up
04-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I just recently had to send mine in for the same problem. The replaced the power unit and got it back to me in less than a week. I have not had any other problems.

Ekidokai
04-11-2010, 06:47 PM
That's been the big trouble with those. Have not heard about it for a while. Guess they missed a few.

fins2right
04-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I bought the PN-40 when it first came out. I discovered quickly that when I disconnected it from external power the whole unit shut off and I would lose all my caches. I took it back for a new unit and the same thing happened. I went back a third time in 2 weeks (Oakland to Yarmouth) and got a refund. I've had great luck with my Garmin Oregon 400t. I still own a PN-20 that my kids use.

iampaw
04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I didn't learn the first time. I had my first PN40 for about eight month and had to take it back to delorme 3 times. I finally said that I wanted a new one, that I shouldn't have this much trouble. They finally did give me a new one. About two months later I was back again with the new one. Then I had trouble loading caches and figured it was the cable because I tried a friends and caches loaded fine. When I went to delorme their response was "I needed to buy a new computer" I was so mad I left before I said something I should not. The next day I sent a friend with my cable to get a replacement for. They gave one to her and when she asked how much it was they said "they were giving them away" If my unit was a couple of years old or even a year old I wouldn't have been asking for a new cord or unit but when they are less than six months old and have spent 400 dollars then I should have something that works not a 400 paperweight.

TeamHorwich
04-11-2010, 10:01 PM
have had mine for a year and can honestly say I have not had any of those problems...

CARoperPhotography
04-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Same with me. Almost a year and none of these problems. My PN-40 is consistent and works under amazingly difficult conditions. And with the new 2.7 Firmware update meant for GIS users, it beats the heck out of any other device, save Delorme's PN-60, not that ANY of us would know what the PN-60 is like.... ha ha

NativeMainer
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
In the immortal words of Bart Simpson, "Crappity Crap Crap Crap." I was out on a FTF run this morning, and I found the first one with no problem. Driving away from that one, it died, and it started back up when I put in new batteries. Then, while trying to hunt for another cache, it just plain froze up, and now it won't start back up again. Time to send it back. Bummer, and I was planning on using it for a numbers run next week while I'm on vacation. I still have my old unit, though.

WhereRWe?
04-12-2010, 08:11 AM
In the immortal words of Bart Simpson, "Crappity Crap Crap Crap." I was out on a FTF run this morning, and I found the first one with no problem. Driving away from that one, it died, and it started back up when I put in new batteries. Then, while trying to hunt for another cache, it just plain froze up, and now it won't start back up again. Time to send it back. Bummer, and I was planning on using it for a numbers run next week while I'm on vacation. I still have my old unit, though.

it beats the heck out of any other device

My Garmin doesn't do this...

:p:p:p:p:p

hvaclu
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I had the same type of problems with my first pn-40 but after being out in the middle of the woods with low batteries for about the 3rd time that same day I ended up putting the batteries in backwards and smoked the thing up.(and boy did it smell) (I thought the jeep was on fire) LOL. Got another one a few days later and havent really had any problems with this one. I also own a few garmins and I do like my oregon for geocaching but when out in the middle of the woods hiking or jeep'n I'll take my pn40 any day of the year. I just know that I MUST KEEP fresh batteries on hand. LOL.

number seven
04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Anyone having troubles downloading maps from DeLorme ? As far as the PN 40 goes~I like it..I did have a problem with the PN 30 and the people at DeLorme gave back my money {no problem} But this thing about a Trojan in the maps really bug's me..

WhereRWe?
04-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Sheesh!

I've been a member of GeocachingMaine.org for almost 6 years, and I've NEVER seen as many performance complaints about a Garmin GPSr as there have been about the Delorme units. Does that mean something to anyone? LOL!

Ekidokai
04-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, your old.

TeamHorwich
04-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Sheesh!

I've been a member of GeocachingMaine.org for almost 6 years, and I've NEVER seen as many performance complaints about a Garmin GPSr as there have been about the Delorme units. Does that mean something to anyone? LOL!

Delorme introduced its first handheld all the waaay back in 2007...I think the eTrex came out almost 10 years earlier...I suspect early on with any product there are always issues, problems, complaints, etc...Don't get me wrong, I loved my old, yellow eTrex and did a lot of caching with it and then my GPSMap60, but really appreciate all that I can do with my pn40...I'm just glad there are more and more choices out there...competition makes them all better!

brdad
04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I still have my original Yellow Etrex That I bought over a year before I started caching, and put through heck on my ATV. I ripped the battery compartment cover off (it now has screw holding it on), and there is a bad line in the display now. But that says a lot for their first Etrex model, and one of the first of that model on the market. That's quite impressive dependability for a first model IMO.

NativeMainer
04-12-2010, 11:08 PM
I still have my Yellow eTrex and will be using it until this situation passes. I'm making the trek up to Delorme tomorrow morning to see what they can do.

CARoperPhotography
04-12-2010, 11:55 PM
My PN-40 has never done ANY of this.... NEVER. I know that TeamHorwich's has never done any of this either..... and then I head from Iampaw and NativeMainer that they do this. Very odd. My PN-40 has been through thick and and thin with me without any real issues. Could this just be operator error or bad kharma? Sorry to say it, but what are you guys doing with your PN-40 different than us? Although, I must ask, where did you purchase yours? lol I am convinced that the PNs that are sold through Amazon are junk.... I have a friend in Cambridge MA who bought one for cheap from Amazon and he is convinced that we have better "satillite reception" in Maine than in Mass. HA HA HA As if reception differs from state to state when the states are only 15 miles apart at one point....seriously, you;d be better off just staying with the PN-40 even with the very odd glitches for your numbers run, than using your yellow eTrex.

And as far as Garmin performance complaints???? I have tried the PN-40 vs almost every other Garmin out there and I have tons of complaints about the Garmins. Heck, contact Marcianek and let him rip into the Colorado.... LOL that thing is a P.O.S. !!!!!

Ekidokai
04-13-2010, 12:35 AM
When I was working for that large retailer I accessed the records and found that 65% of the 40's sold were returned shortly after the sale date as being defective. It is impossible to zero in on the reason exactly. That is a huge return rate. The only thing I can remember that rivaled that was way back when they had a Black Friday sale on real cheap TVs and DVDs, we got 79% of those back.

JustPJ66
04-13-2010, 06:42 AM
LL bean has 4 or 5 delorme models for sale in their outlet store that were returned only one garmin...

Just saying is all

NativeMainer
04-13-2010, 01:17 PM
My PN-40 has never done ANY of this.... NEVER. I know that TeamHorwich's has never done any of this either..... and then I head from Iampaw and NativeMainer that they do this. Very odd. My PN-40 has been through thick and and thin with me without any real issues. Could this just be operator error or bad kharma? Sorry to say it, but what are you guys doing with your PN-40 different than us? Although, I must ask, where did you purchase yours? lol I am convinced that the PNs that are sold through Amazon are junk.... I have a friend in Cambridge MA who bought one for cheap from Amazon and he is convinced that we have better "satillite reception" in Maine than in Mass. HA HA HA As if reception differs from state to state when the states are only 15 miles apart at one point....seriously, you;d be better off just staying with the PN-40 even with the very odd glitches for your numbers run, than using your yellow eTrex.

OK, status update. I took the PN-40 up to Delorme this morning and they were very kind to check it out. They checked out the power supply and the chip on the unit, as I guess that has been a source of problems with a number of PN-40s. No problem there. As it turns out that you have to select the type of battery being used on one of the setup screens (alkaline, lithium, whatever). The techie guy that looked at it said that could be part of the problem. He scrolled through some of the waypoints and said, "Oh, you're a geocacher." (Well, yeah!) He mentioned that some of the data that I downloaded could be corrupt.

So, we'll see how it goes. It is working fine for right now. After I left, I used the PN-40 to find a couple of caches that are on Delorne's property.

Operator error? (maybe with the battery thing, but I'm conscientious about that now) Bad karma? (Well, karma is karma, it is neither good nor bad, but that's another discussion) I was on an FTF hunt yesterday morning, and I was driving from one cache to another and the thing just completely froze on me. The PN-40 has more functions than my yellow eTrex, and in some ways it's easier to use, but it does basically the same thing. I'm just glad that it's running now, and I'm gearing up for my numbers run next week.

I purchased mine through Cache Advance. I noticed on their Facebook page that they were selling the units with a $50 mail in rebate, so it came out to about $220. They're probably dropping the prices with the PN-60 coming out in a couple of months.