View Full Version : Military Cacher Thread

brdad
04-14-2010, 10:41 AM
This is a thread for non-military cachers to give thanks to all those military cachers who have served or who are serving for the sacrifices they have made which protect the freedoms so easily taken for granted.

It would also be great to hear from those veterans and perhaps hear what branch of the service they have served in and any other information they would like to share.

brdad
04-14-2010, 10:53 AM
I have never served, but my father was in the Army National Guard for most of his adult years and I have a brother that served in the Navy.

Not many days go by that I don't try to remember the sacrifices that have been made and are being made so that we can do such trivial things like geocaching and hiking and otherwise enjoying our country. Thanks to you all.

WhereRWe?
04-14-2010, 04:55 PM
WhereRWe? served 22 years in the US Army, serving in Vietnam, Texas, Belgium (7 years), Virginia, Turkey and North Carolina. I was a Personnel Sergeant.

RULost2? spent 20 years in the US Army, serving in Tennessee, Arizona, Belgium, Virginia, Turkey (twice) and North Carolina. She was an Administrative Spe******t.

Son of WhereRWe? and RULost2? is currently serving in the US Navy. He served as a photographer/photojournalist in Rota, Spain, and is currently a Legalman (Paralegal) at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. He next wants an assignment in Japan, so we'll probably visit him there, too. LOL!

:D:D

fins2right
04-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I served for 4 years in the U.S.A.F. I started in Grand Forks, N. Dakota (An indian term for Hell on Earth), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia during Operation Desert Shield, Dyarbakir, Turkey for Operations Desert Storm and Provide Comfort and finished off at Griffiss AFB, in upstate New York. I also served for 4 years in the National Guard. Sadly, every base I was stationed at has closed.

Rattish
04-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I spent a tad over 10 years in the Army serving in Military Intelligence. I spent time in Massachusetts, West Germany near the East German border until the wall fell, Texas, Arizona, and what I like to call the three country tour of Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait and then back to Saudi Arabia during the 1991 Gulf War. I want to thank everyone for the comments on the ten years thread. Brdad, I have been slowly caching my way to Bangor and will be taking you up on your offer to go caching. I am planning to attend the 10th anniversary event in Augusta on May 2nd and hope to meet many of you there.

CARoperPhotography
04-14-2010, 08:38 PM
U.S.M.C. 3 yrs (cut short by knee injury/medical discharge), 1st Tanks out of 29 Palms, CA here...

Mapachi
04-14-2010, 08:54 PM
4 years in the Army Security Agency. Stationed at Fort Devans Mass. and Hezogenaurach Germany (Near Nurmberg). I Was a Spec 5 and my MOS was 05k20 (Secret spook stuff!)

JustKev
04-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I spent nearly 12 years in the Marine Corps. Boot camp - Parris Island. School - MCCES 29 Palms, CA. Duty stations - Camp Pendleton, CA; Okinawa, Japan; Cherry Point, NC; Camp LeJeune, NC and was briefly at the I&I Staff at Topsham, ME where I ended my career for personal reasons.

NativeMainer
04-14-2010, 11:54 PM
I never went in the military. My wife spent six years in the army, mostly working in the Public Affairs office. I don't know all the places she went, but she did do two tours in South Korea, one of which was during the Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea in in 1988.

Ekidokai
04-15-2010, 02:07 AM
I thank you all for serving. Diabetes kept me from serving. I even tried the National Guard thinking back then that they always stayed here and why not. Of course now I know better.

I really wish there were no wars going on and that the ones we are in would end soon. Your sacrifice is appreciated tremendously.

Moonsouth
04-15-2010, 08:49 AM
I served in the U.S. Army for 4 years as an Airborne Ranger. Went to Afghanistan and Iraq. Was stationed at 1st Battalion 75th Regiment at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, GA.

pjpreb
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Freedom isn't free. Thank you to all who serve our great nation.

dubord207
04-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I never served and have often wondered how different my life might have been if I had served. I was in college from 69 to 73, the "protest" era for Vietnam but managed to keep a balanced and respectful outlook to those that served in spite of all the anti-war sentiment that surrounded me. Like many of you and in particular those that served, I lost friends and classmates in that conflict, one very close friend actually, so I have the deepest respect for those who put in on the line in Southeast Asia and other conflicts.

In law school, folks form study groups. My two study partners were both Vietnam vets, both with exemplary service, Purple Hearts and other commendations from their efforts on behalf of the rest of us. They were Marines too and what was the most striking thing to me was how relaxed and unfazed they both were about the "law student" life. While most of our classmates were stressed to the nines and not fit to around, these two thought law school was like a walk in a nice park compared to what they'd experienced in Vietnam. Having them as friends during school really helped me focus on the big picture. By all accounts, they also are top notch lawyers now as well.

My dad was a Captain in the Air Force during the Korean War. I get my sense of humor from him and he used to say that as a result of his service during the Korean War, no Koreans caused any trouble in Manchester NH where he was stationed!

It's nice knowing we have a good selection of Vets among our ranks. Thank you all for serving.

hollora
04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Like dubord, I, too, was in college in the late 60s. My graduation was 5/1969. I remember the recuiters at many college functions and several of my classmates (nursing program) enlisted. They all served for a full career and attained very high rank.

Dubord says it well when he wonders how life would have been different. I, too, have wondered that often.

Ralph (my hubby) served during the last of the Korean conflict in the USAF in Germany. He is very proud of his service. He and some buddies joined right after HS graduation despite the fact he had been in the Marine Reserves.

My life has been enriched by many friends and acquaintences who are veterans or active military. Freedom is NOT free and without our military I fear our lives would be much different. Thank you one and all.

And cachers - Did you know there is a Military Association of Geocachers? Here is a bit about them - Primary Reasons for this group:
1. Share the fun of GeoCachers with other likeminded individuals
2. Aide those new to an area from PCS in learning their new home and giving them a chance to meet local cachers.
3. Helping those that are TDY “hit” some of the local caches
4. Give the single Soldier, Sailors, Airman and Marines off duty time with the “extended military family”

Who may join:
1. Military Members (Active Duty; Guard; Reserve; Friendly Nations)
2. Family Members of Military (see above)
3. Retired Military, orVeterans with Honorable Discharge
4. People who wish to support our Troops by sharing time geocaching with them

To learn more you may go do this link (http://militarycache.org/).

WhereRWe?
04-16-2010, 06:46 AM
And cachers - Did you know there is a Military Association of Geocachers?

To learn more you may go do this link (http://militarycache.org/).

Thanks, Hollora! When I opened this thread this morning, my intent was to mention this site as well, but you beat me too it! LOL!

brdad
04-16-2010, 07:04 AM
It was on my mind when I made the first post, but I guess I totally forgot it by the time I finished typing. Awful to get old!

hollora
04-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks, Hollora! When I opened this thread this morning, my intent was to mention this site as well, but you beat me too it! LOL!

Sorry WhereRWe? ~ but I know you are a proud member too! AND - rightfully so!

Guess this would be an appropriate place to mention probably the newest Maine Geocaching family member(s) who are recently recruited and currently in the service. Davidson7's daughter graduated from USMC Parris Island on April 2nd. And their son, graduated from Army boot camp earlier this year. Son is in the Guard and home. Daughter is active and just returned for her next school and then on to MOS.

I am thankful young folks are still willing to serve and appreciate those who have. Thanks again!

cachecrashers4
04-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks to all the brave men and women who currently serve or have served to ensure our freedom.

mr&mrswilly
04-17-2010, 11:44 AM
The Mr of mr&mrswilly I have been in the Maine Army National Guard for 9 years. Mrs.Willy has served most of those with me. dealing with my deployment to OIF1 and my most recent canceled deployment. (should be in Iraq now but our deployment was canceled don't know why but real happy and not asking questions) Thank you for this Post and all the nice things people have said. I have some good friends serving overseas now. Please keep LT. Cain's in your prayers (they are husband and and wife both serving in diffrent parts of Afgan. both Volunteered for our country)