View Full Version : Many TB's Missing Recently

Hikenfish
04-18-2010, 10:17 PM
I have noticed that at a few caches I have visited it lists many TB's in the inventory. When I get to the cache there are no TB's and no mention of anyone taking any TB's in the log book or online.

A few big ones recently were

GCJHNB Jetport Travel Bug Hotel 5 Trackables Missing

GC17M27 Bears In The Bushes 4 Trackables Missing

GCxH5M B.F.I 8 Trackables Missing

There are always a few missing here and there but this is a bit rediculous. This seems to be more than your average cacher forgetting to log a trackable here and there.

Ekidokai
04-18-2010, 10:49 PM
This is my pet peeve. Cache owners not keeping the online database updated. What I see a lot is a cache will get muggled, then replaced and the hider will not take care of the trackables.

Sometimes the trackables do go missing for a while for one reason or another and not logged, but the muggles and the hiders are the biggest culprits here.

Hikenfish
04-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I did not think of it that way when I posted Ekidokai, which may account for a few of the missing TB's. But at GCJHNB The cache owner, and somebody else dropped off some TB's right before I went there. I was planning on trading some TB's and drove to this cache just for that.Pop the top off and empty. Just 11 days go by and they are allready gone with no mention.

Ekidokai
04-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Well, that is little queer. Has anyone visited the cache and not logged the travel bugs yet. I know on the weekends with all the mail I get on finds it might take a few days to get the travel bugs logged. There are a few variables that prevent taking action on missing travel bugs right away.

But that is suspicious.

Hikenfish
04-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I just bring this up because I have noticed it is pretty bad in this area of the state lately. Many times I will see somebody put in a note of a TB drop, and I am the next person to log both the book and online but there is no TB. I doubt the person that made the drop is lying... I doubt a muggle would take the TB, but not the other stuff and leave the container. Is somebody going around and just taking TB's for the heck of it, It isn't like they can sell them or make them their own. All they can do is stuff it in a drawer somewhere. Maybe I am just thinking into it a bit too much.

JustKev
04-19-2010, 04:00 AM
We noticed B.F.I. didn't have any when we logged it. Mentioned it in our log online.

Hiram357
04-19-2010, 06:53 AM
This is my pet peeve. Cache owners not keeping the online database updated. What I see a lot is a cache will get muggled, then replaced and the hider will not take care of the trackables.

Sometimes the trackables do go missing for a while for one reason or another and not logged, but the muggles and the hiders are the biggest culprits here.

Is there a way for the cache owner to update the trackables?

WhereRWe?
04-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Sheesh! The is definitely one of my pet peeves, as well. But sometime TB's/Coins mysteriously reappear.

Here are a couple of examples that happened to us:

Placed a geocoin in a cache (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1297877) in Spain, next to log didn't find it, etc. Now 2 years later, someone says they found it in the cache. :confused::confused:

A White Jeep TB (2005) disappears in 2005, reappears in 2009 (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=750bc506-69bc-40f1-91ea-a42b1614c17e).

Now I wish some of my other TB's would reappear. LOL!

brdad
04-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Is there a way for the cache owner to update the trackables?

A cache owner can mark a TB as missing. I have never used this feature - I feel weird marking it as missing if someone has just not logged it yet.

But perhaps if it's not in the cache and has not been for an extended time it would be the right thing to do? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year?

Waterski
04-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Do you ever wonder if people say they dropped a coin somewhere, only to keep it for their collection? Makes you wonder when they are gone as soon as you go to find them, like some of you have mentioned. NAAAAA- couldn't happen.

benandtina
04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Do you ever wonder if people say they dropped a coin somewhere, only to keep it for their collection? Makes you wonder when they are gone as soon as you go to find them, like some of you have mentioned. NAAAAA- couldn't happen.

I am sure it happens... but I don't really understand why someone would do it. If someone stole geocoins they would not be able to share them because as soon as a person logged discoveries they would notice something fishy was going on.

WhereRWe?
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Do you ever wonder if people say they dropped a coin somewhere, only to keep it for their collection? .

Nope. I don't wonder, I know it happens. :mad::mad:

I've ranted MANY times about RULost2?'s "Civil War Geocoin #4 Shiloh", which was stolen from an event in 2007 (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=525361). I've been told who has it, but it's something I could never prove...

darterkitfox
04-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Even though it was the first event we'd ever gone to, it wasn't us Bruce. I have no interest in coins and don't discover them at events, although I will move them from cache to cache. They have no consistancy in size or shape so to me display value is poor. Now pathtags with their same size and shape, I have an interest in, yet I can't seem to find any of them in caches either.

JustPJ66
04-19-2010, 10:16 AM
yet I can't seem to find any of them in caches either.

Check out GC1QYZ5, there was a pathtag in that cache when we left there yesterday. We will be posting our logs later today but iffin ya hurry you might get one there darterkitfox!:D

Trick or Treat
04-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Placed a geocoin in a cache (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1297877) in Spain, next to log didn't find it, etc. Now 2 years later, someone says they found it in the cache. :confused::confused:

I picked up a TB in Florida last year that had started from the Netherlands. It was last seen in Ontario 1 1/2 years before so the owner had "moved" it to a virtual graveyard. No idea how it made it to Florida; whoever dropped it didn't log it. The owner was thrilled that it had appeared again and that I was taking back to Maine with me. Drop him off at Land of the Pines in Brunswick only to check back a few months later...to find that he disappeared from that cache as well! The coincidence is so crazy, I'm not sure the cache owner even believes me.

EvilHomer
04-19-2010, 04:42 PM
You have brought up a subject that ALWAYS gets my hackles up. I mistakenly started out this game thinking you can trust the fellow players when it came to trackables, but found out very quickly that is not the case.
Unfortunately either due to gross ignorance, stupidity, strange circumstance, or just plain thievery GEOCOINS, and even TBs are not safe pretty much anywhere. That is why I started doing the "AVATAR" coins, (a laminated picture copy of my coin) to travel in place of my coin so that when (notice I said WHEN and not IF) it goes missing I am not out a coin. Some frown on my AVATAR coins, but hey you know what, THEY ARE NOT THE ONES LOSING COINS so why would they care what I do! I will never release another solid real coin again because of the THIEVES that apparently plague this game. It seems like just as soon as a coin is listed around here the damn thing goes missing and is never seen again 99% of the time. Im not F'N around with these a*holes any more. Go ahead and steal my AVATAR, I'll just make a new one and off it goes again. :)

Trick or Treat
04-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Unfortunately either due to gross ignorance, stupidity, strange circumstance, or just plain thievery GEOCOINS, and even TBs are not safe pretty much anywhere.

This wasn't even a coin, just a shabby small stuffed animal. I agree when Hikenfish said muggles wouldn't take the trackables, but leave everything else. I'm guessing that some of the people are casual or new cachers who find a cache, take the trackables, but don't ever get around to logging online and then forget they even have them.

pjpreb
04-19-2010, 05:47 PM
A cache owner can mark a TB as missing. I have never used this feature - I feel weird marking it as missing if someone has just not logged it yet.

But perhaps if it's not in the cache and has not been for an extended time it would be the right thing to do? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year?

One of our caches had a coin listed in the inventory. We checked the cache and there was no coin there so we removed the coin from the cache page inventory.

Hiram357
04-19-2010, 07:10 PM

huh, I've never noticed that feature before. I too would feel a bit odd marking the coin as missing, but after 6 months... I dunno, I've had TBs resurface after a year of being gone...

HappyTogether
04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
huh, I've never noticed that feature before. I too would feel a bit odd marking the coin as missing, but after 6 months... I dunno, I've had TBs resurface after a year of being gone...

I have used it mark my own coins missing after prolonged periods in the same cache. Especially after multiple logs mentioning no trackables in the cache.

Its easier than trying to find a TB graveyard, and if it shows up in the future, it can still be logged back into the game by anyone with the code.

Ekidokai
04-19-2010, 07:22 PM
huh, I've never noticed that feature before. I too would feel a bit odd marking the coin as missing, but after 6 months... I dunno, I've had TB's resurface after a year of being gone...

That is fine. When it resurfaces the owner of the coin or whatever can change the coin page. I don't go to caches because they have trackables, but when I log the find it bugs me that I drop good swag in and most of the time would have swapped trackables if there was any in there.

I just wish there wasn't a need to watch a cache like a hawk or set something special up to catch these people.

WhereRWe?
04-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Its easier than trying to find a TB graveyard, and if it shows up in the future, it can still be logged back into the game by anyone with the code.

As I remember - and it's hard at my age - there used to be a TB graveyard at the point where the prime meridian intersects the equator. I remember it because my son passed near the spot a couple of years ago when he was with the Africa Partnership Station (http://www.c6f.navy.mil/apshome.html). On return, they passed this point because it gave the sailors the designation of being an "Emerald Shellback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony)". :D:D

Hiram357
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I have used it mark my own coins missing after prolonged periods in the same cache. Especially after multiple logs mentioning no trackables in the cache.

where are you guys finding these options? I'm looking but not seeing... :confused:

Ekidokai
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Go to your cache page. Go to a trackable that is supposed to be in there. On the right where you would click to add a note, in that box is a selection option and one says missing. Choosing that will remove it from your cache.

This is what they will get.
[This is an automated message]
This is a message to let you know that your trackable item TB2JF5D has been marked ‘missing’ by a cache owner or a site administrator. Trackable items are marked missing when it is determined that they are no longer located in the cache they are listed in or in the hands of the current holder. Please review the most recent logs on your trackable item to learn more information about its current state.

Hiram357
04-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Go to your cache page. Go to a trackable that is supposed to be in there. On the right where you would click to add a note, in that box is a selection option and one says missing. Choosing that will remove it from your cache.

This is what they will get.
[This is an automated message]
This is a message to let you know that your trackable item TB2JF5D has been marked ‘missing’ by a cache owner or a site administrator. Trackable items are marked missing when it is determined that they are no longer located in the cache they are listed in or in the hands of the current holder. Please review the most recent logs on your trackable item to learn more information about its current state.

ahh! i was looking on the cache page and edit page, didnt think of looking at the tb page... duh...:rolleyes::D

it all makes sense now :)

Ekidokai
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
It's all new until you do it.

Hikenfish
04-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Very good to know. Thanks again Ekidokai

firefighterjake
04-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Random thoughts . . .

I've never paid very close attention to the trackables in my cache . . . I figure if the TB owner has a question about whether or not a TB is in the cache or MIA he/she can easily contact me and I would be more than happy to check the cache for them. I have way too many things to do in life beside keeping a running inventory on what is in the cache . . . and for whatever reason I don't feel right in altering the TB status if I don't know for sure if someone has it or not since I know I've occasionally grabbed a TB and held on to it for several weeks (albeit I also had logged the TB out.)

TBs and geocoins . . . it's getting to the point for me where I almost don't want to grab one of these and move it along . . . too much hassle . . . and too much of a chance to be called a thief . . . granted I have never been labeled as such (to my knowledge), but then again I also try to do the right thing and record the finding and dropping of the trackable and try to move them on relatively quickly.

TBs and geocoins: I never could quite understand the fascination with geocoins and now pathtags . . . or collecting them. I guess my own belief is that with any trackable you send out in the world you risk losing them . . . which is why nothing has been sent out by me that has had much value . . . monetary or sentimental value.

rcwhit
04-22-2010, 06:15 PM
While caching in Wells Maine I ran across a rather unusual Goocoin. This Geocoin has traveled over 10,428 miles without going missing because someone wanted it for their own collection. Why has this coin lasted so long without going missing? Because the owner took a picture of it and laminated into a 3 inch by 4 inch card with the tracking number on it. The owner stated on the Geocoin home page that they have the original and everyone should move the copy. You can view this coins home page on Geocaching.com, Trackable Items, # TBRHHB. I would like to get everyone’s opinion on this practice. Do you think it’s a good idea? Can you see something wrong with it? I think I can see one problem with doing this. What if a copy does go missing and the owner starts a NEW copy and sends it out and the OLD copy shows up down the road. Would that mess up Geocaching.com trying to keep track of 2 different coins with the same number? Would it be OK to do if you ONLY sent out ONE copy and if it goes missing, just keep the original for a souvenir and log it as Missing in action? What do YOU think!

dubord207
04-23-2010, 06:06 AM
I have had fair success reviewing logs and trying to narrow down the "suspect" that might have the coin and perhaps failed to log it. Some new cachers don't understand how to log a TB and just sit quietly hoping nobody will notice.

On a couple of occassions I have written with a polite inquiry and found that to be the case. On a few occassions the evidence was clear where the coin went, a note was sent and there was no response even though I could see the cacher had visited geo.com therefore received my note. A little more "assertive" note followed and suddenly the cacher's memory came back and the coin was properly logged. I hate confronting people in this manner but I've had decent success locating missing coins and TB's. The McCain Palin geocoin in one of my Power Ranger caches is missing, I've sent a note and have not received a response but I'm not done chasing that coin down as I'm fairly certain I'm hot on the tail of that coin. (Bruce, I'm sure you'll like that anology!)

But alas, I put out few coins now but have plenty to share with geo buddies.:)

While caching in Wells Maine I ran across a rather unusual Goocoin. This Geocoin has traveled over 10,428 miles without going missing because someone wanted it for their own collection. Why has this coin lasted so long without going missing? Because the owner took a picture of it and laminated into a 3 inch by 4 inch card with the tracking number on it. The owner stated on the Geocoin home page that they have the original and everyone should move the copy. You can view this coins home page on Geocaching.com, Trackable Items, # TBRHHB. I would like to get everyone’s opinion on this practice. Do you think it’s a good idea? Can you see something wrong with it? I think I can see one problem with doing this. What if a copy does go missing and the owner starts a NEW copy and sends it out and the OLD copy shows up down the road. Would that mess up Geocaching.com trying to keep track of 2 different coins with the same number? Would it be OK to do if you ONLY sent out ONE copy and if it goes missing, just keep the original for a souvenir and log it as Missing in action? What do YOU think!

brdad
04-23-2010, 07:19 AM
I have had fair success reviewing logs and trying to narrow down the "suspect" that might have the coin and perhaps failed to log it. Some new cachers don't understand how to log a TB and just sit quietly hoping nobody will notice.

I did this a few days ago with my 18 pound TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=70382) which has had a tough life, getting lost in two of the three caches it has ever visited. The first time it went missing for a year and turned up back at the cache! It has been lost at a cache in Quebec now since last July. It's funny, as big and heavy as the TB is, I expected it to travel slow, but I didn't expect anyone to misplace it or have it get lost in their backpack!

So the other day I sent emails to the 13 accounts which logged the cache between when the TB was placed and when the first person mentioned there was no TB in the cache. So far 3 have emailed back and said there was no TB in the cache when they were there. Hopefully someone has an answer.

On a side note, I still have the TB/coin/film cap you gave me and am prepping it for it's journey. I am as slow at these things as I am placing caches. But I do have it and it has not been forgotten.

firefighterjake
04-23-2010, 08:37 AM

On a couple of occassions I have written with a polite inquiry and found that to be the case. On a few occassions the evidence was clear where the coin went, a note was sent and there was no response even though I could see the cacher had visited geo.com therefore received my note. A little more "assertive" note followed and suddenly the cacher's memory came back and the coin was properly logged. I hate confronting people in this manner but I've had decent success locating missing coins and TB's. The McCain Palin geocoin in one of my Power Ranger caches is missing, I've sent a note and have not received a response but I'm not done chasing that coin down as I'm fairly certain I'm hot on the tail of that coin. (Bruce, I'm sure you'll like that anology!)

But alas, I put out few coins now but have plenty to share with geo buddies.:)

Ah ha . . . here's our answer.

Dubord . . . TB/Geocoin Attorney . . . Have you lost a geocoin or suspect that it has been stolen. BOING!!!!

Call 1-207-1DU-BORD. Tell those other cachers that you mean business. Your TB and geocoin deserve to roam free.;):D

JustKev
04-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Ah ha . . . here's our answer.

Dubord . . . TB/Geocoin Attorney . . . Have you lost a geocoin or suspect that it has been stolen. BOING!!!!

Call 1-207-1DU-BORD. Tell those other cachers that you mean business. Your TB and geocoin deserve to roam free.;):D

We can hire an actor to say "YOU MEAN BUSINESS". It'll take off like a shot. People will recognize the phrase right away and associate it with.....

JOE BORNSTEIN

Ekidokai
04-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Who's Joe Bornstein?

Trick or Treat
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
We can hire an actor to say "YOU MEAN BUSINESS". It'll take off like a shot. People will recognize the phrase right away and associate it with.....

JOE BORNSTEIN

I met Joe Bornstein not that long ago and was shocked to see that he looked surprisingly like Jerry Garcia.

EvilHomer
04-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Im hiring DUBOURD to find my coins!

Opalsns
04-26-2010, 08:39 AM

JOE BORNSTEIN

JAMES SOKALOFF in MA, LOL!!!

team barbieri
05-04-2010, 07:18 PM
We have only been caching for 2 1/2 months now and enjoy moving TB's and geocoins. We have found a few that were looged dropped into the wrong cache and I emailed that person to have them drop it in the correct one befor we logged it as picked up and they did. we have also found some that were never dropped and have had to grab them. the person that dropped it in the cache could not figure out how to drop it because they never logged picking it up. We enjoy watching these trackables move along and we also enjoy cleaning them up and fixing or printing and laminating new info sheets or replacing coin covers, However we know after any work we put into it, the trackable could go missing the minute we put it in a cache.
We also have had them grabbed from us befor we could log the drop just hours after dropping them so now we post a note online dropping or picking up with or cellphone befor leaving the cache.