View Full Version : Cool Things Found in Caches

JustPJ66
04-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Yesterday Justkev and I went out in the rain and snow to go for a ride and ended up getting 28 caches along the way. Along with a wonderful day we got some pretty neat stuff out of the caches.

We got several signature items which I just love to find, and one pathtag that kev mentioned in another post, but we also got a 1944 centavo from the Philipines when the U.S. was in control of it. Now it isnt worth a whole lot but I thought it was a cool thing ....Kev and I are gonna log all our finds this afternoon when he gets home from work as we were so darn tired when we got home yesterday so the CO will get a note on which cache we found it in later today.

I was wondering what is the neatest thing you ever found in a cache???

Hiram357
04-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Yesterday Justkev and I went out in the rain and snow to go for a ride and ended up getting 28 caches along the way. Along with a wonderful day we got some pretty neat stuff out of the caches.

We got several signature items which I just love to find, and one pathtag that kev mentioned in another post, but we also got a 1944 centavo from the Philipines when the U.S. was in control of it. Now it isnt worth a whole lot but I thought it was a cool thing ....Kev and I are gonna log all our finds this afternoon when he gets home from work as we were so darn tired when we got home yesterday so the CO will get a note on which cache we found it in later today.

I collect bottle openers I find in caches, those are my favorite things to find. :D

WhereRWe?
04-19-2010, 07:17 AM
We often find pins in caches. I have a whole bunch on a lanyard - I'll try and start bringing it to events.

brdad
04-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Home made signature items are always the best. I have found a few other items that I could not prove but were home made, like the 3 piece chicken dinner (Sounds like a wannabe Laughing Terry Sig!),

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/images/sig_items/unknown6.jpg

One of my first sigs I collected was left for me in a cache by an out of stater I had befriended online and was unable to meet up with when they visited Maine, it is a neat hand carved pin.

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/images/sig_items/byron.jpg

WhereRWe?
04-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Brdad - you need to repost the link to your sig item collection!

brdad
04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Brdad - you need to repost the link to your sig item collection!

Why didn't I think about that?
maybe it's because I am waaaaay behind on updating the site. :p

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/signature_items.htm

JustPJ66
04-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Very cool brdad. Like that page. From looking at that page I have a few of those but not many. It seems that most people like signature items and I do as well.

I saw a show on geocaching sometime ago and someone got an amtrack ticket from a cache. I think it was the FTF prize but not sure.

That is the fun of it you never know what you will find next! :)

benandtina
04-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Ben was VERY excited when I told him about this post. He loves leaving wheat cents and foreign coins in caches and said the Philipines centavo is one of his favorites. He said he's left quite a few (you would think I know this since I am standing right there when he leaves them, lol) and the 1944 is the most common, so it is entirely possible he left the one you picked up!

We love signature items and have found some really cool ones... but I think the coolest thing we've found was a handmade belt buckle. It was made from like a piece of a deer's antler and had a bunch of pretty stones inside the hollow part. It's pretty neat.

JustPJ66
04-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Oh cool....Makes the centavo all the more special knowing who left it. Thanks!

cano
04-19-2010, 12:37 PM
I like foreign coins. That's actually the only think I trade.

EvilHomer
04-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I found BEAR FANG marks on one of my cache containers once. That was a little unsettling.

JustPJ66
04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I found BEAR FANG marks on one of my cache containers once. That was a little unsettling.

Who signed the log last??? was it before my brother RCWHIT started caching???? or perhaps EKODOKI? LOL

that would be disconcerting to say the least!

Ekidokai
04-19-2010, 07:34 PM
JustPj66, has just been put on the list.

JustPJ66
04-19-2010, 08:01 PM

WOW am i in the top 10 yet??

rcwhit
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM

I tried to WARN you! :cool:

kayaking loon
04-20-2010, 07:24 AM

You write some great logs too, I've really enjoyed reading yours.
My favorite things to find are pathtags, signature items and things that make me laugh. :D

JustPJ66
04-20-2010, 07:37 AM
You write some great logs too, I've really enjoyed reading yours.
My favorite things to find are pathtags, signature items and things that make me laugh. :D

Thanks we sure are enjoying finding them, and telling you all about what a time we have doing it. hehe

firefighterjake
04-20-2010, 08:14 AM
I collect bottle openers I find in caches, those are my favorite things to find. :D

I heard you once found a space pen . . . near a cache . . . but then lost it within 15 minutes of finding it. ;) :)

firefighterjake
04-20-2010, 08:19 AM
I don't swap much any more, but some of the cool stuff I've found and swapped for includes some foreign/old currency (I think Dubord was putting them out), $10 FTF prize to Walmart which I gave to my wife (thanks Quilting Mom and Mike), $5 FTF prize to a local ice cream shop, a Game Boy Advance game which I also gave to my wife (thanks Mapachi) and $100 . . . but it was Iraqi money . . . with Saddam Hussein on it . . . and this was after his fall . . . so pretty much worthless . . . but neat none-the-less.

Mapachi
04-20-2010, 08:30 AM
I found a cool fossil in one cache. I kept it and enjoyed it for a year or two and just recently put it in one of my Power Run caches.

JustPJ66
04-20-2010, 08:35 AM
I am so glad I started this....i am really enjoying reading what you have all found and given out too. Very cool
!

firefighterjake
04-20-2010, 09:23 AM
I found a cool fossil in one cache. I kept it and enjoyed it for a year or two and just recently put it in one of my Power Run caches.

I believe Aaron found that . . . didn't keep it . . . but saw it . . . at first he thought someone had dumped a regular ol' rock in the cache.

Mapachi
04-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I try to put some "neat" things in my caches. I have this real shrunken head, I bought from a old British guy at a lawn sale in Florida. It came with papers of authenticity from some museum in the Isle of Wright! I'm not sure if I should put that in a cache or not. Maybe make a cache just for that head!

Ekidokai
04-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I keep forgetting that stuff. I have put fossils in caches and some amber I dug up somewhere.

WhereRWe?
04-21-2010, 06:24 AM
I keep forgetting that stuff. I have put fossils in caches and some amber I dug up somewhere.

Sheesh! You just reminded me of our "Looking for Roger" TB.

Click on this link (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=74167&page=2) and see the entries for 7/13/2008 and 10/4/2008. :eek::eek:

(And this is another case of a "stranded" TB, but that's another thread...) :(

4ccnhikers
04-23-2010, 12:37 AM

Gosh! That sounded familiar - so I went back and checked GC1JDPT, (SRS 50 states Virginia) logs, and sure enough, you were right behind me on my very first FTF, where I celebrated by leaving a tiny fossil from Sears Island in the tiny cache! Could that really be the same one? Here's your log (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=22702153-6767-4f47-9c81-68b04b5a9d2e). I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! :D

Mapachi
04-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Gosh! That sounded familiar - so I went back and checked GC1JDPT, (SRS 50 states Virginia) logs, and sure enough, you were right behind me on my very first FTF, where I celebrated by leaving a tiny fossil from Sears Island in the tiny cache! Could that really be the same one? Here's your log (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=22702153-6767-4f47-9c81-68b04b5a9d2e). I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! :D

Yep! That's the one! I didn't realize it was a fossil until I got it home!
Kept it for a while.....showed it to a few people. Then it started to collect dust. ..... Time to move it to a cache for someone else to enjoy.

Ekidokai
04-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I just left a blackberry looking phone in a cache with all the accessories. It was a gift and I hate phones so there it is.

firefighterjake
04-27-2010, 11:56 AM
I left an old Palm . . . not sure if it could be used with GSAK/Cachemate or not . . . but figured if nothing else it should be good for keeping dates/times.

brdad
04-27-2010, 11:58 AM
I have an old Palm V that worked great with cachemate. So it will work on older units.

I left an old Palm . . . not sure if it could be used with GSAK/Cachemate or not . . . but figured if nothing else it should be good for keeping dates/times.

WhereRWe?
04-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I have an old Palm V that worked great with cachemate. So it will work on older units.

Yup. It will work on any Palm OS PDA.