View Full Version : Group trip to Halfmile

brdad
04-20-2010, 03:03 PM
There are a few people interested in doing my Halfmile (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1812ccd4-e4b1-4324-ad07-cd23bf0191bc) (GCH21C) by brdad (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61905) (3/3.5) cache but do not necessarily want to do it alone especially with the last logs being DNF. So I would like to find out what people's schedules are so the most people that want to go can. Many are also interested in doing my A mile from a halfmile (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c3ae6c0f-728a-4f0b-b580-5c5de615c8e4) (GC8D2A) by brdad (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61905) (1.5/2.5) at the same time.

This will take a good chunk of the day. Halfmile is typically 3 hours round trip not counting lunch or lounging about enjoying the day. A mile from a halfmile will take less time, an hour or a bit more - if we can drive all the way to the parking area. Otherwise it will be an extra mile each way on relatively easy but brushy terrain. There is a beaver dam to cross. I've always had good luck with waterproof sneakers and a tree branch. If you have a hiking stick, you will be glad you brought it.

Any vehicle with decent ground clearance can make it to the parking of Halfmile. The road into A mile from a halfmile is lately full of brush and alders that have to be driven over. So far I have had no problem getting to either parking area with my stock Dakota. I'm hoping I can verify the road conditions before we go.

A few people can ride in the back of my truck for the tougher part of the trek. Perhaps someone else will have a capable vehicle and can take a few more depending on how many want to go.

Bring water and more water and a snack or lunch!

So right now I'd like to see who would like to go and what days work for them. I imagine most will have to have a weekend and that is ok. But I can't do this weekend (Apr 24th -25th) and cannot do May 1st and 2nd due to the anniversary events. Brad's CITO event is may 15th so we should not do it that day.

So who's up for it?

benandtina
04-20-2010, 03:10 PM
If we weren't moving, we'd be in! Sorry :(

brdad
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
If we weren't moving, we'd be in! Sorry :(

You just need to stay a few weeks more! It's decided!

Hmmm, if you could find a weekday free before you left I could take you two and check the roads out and verify all the hockey pucks are there.

Hiram357
04-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I would definitely be up for this if I have an open spot in my extremely busy schedule... :D:D:D

(I need to get rid of the unhappy smiley from last year!) :D

brdad
04-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I would definitely be up for this if I have an open spot in my extremely busy schedule... :D:D:D

(I need to get rid of the unhappy smiley from last year!) :D

Yes, and when you see stage 2 you'll say "Dang, I bet I stepped on that 100 times!" :p

I think I may put some trail markers or tape at the stages. Even with the hints they can be tough, which was not my intention. When I checked on it last year, I even convinced myself stage 2 was gone, went to the top, checking on the other stages as I went by them, came back down and looked for stage 2 for 5 minutes before I found it - right where I put it!

benandtina
04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
That is so nice of you! That would be a lot of fun but I don't think we'll be able to manage it :( I am working until the 30th, then there are the 10th anniversary events on the 1st and 2nd. We're picking up the moving truck on the 3th and plan to begin driving on the 5th.

pjpreb
04-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Bring bear spray too (no joke)

JustKev
04-20-2010, 06:15 PM

My bear spray comes in .44 caliber.

Ekidokai
04-20-2010, 07:25 PM
I want to go. On either trip.

dubord207
04-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Di and I like that kind of hike. Keep us in the loop and if it's on a weekend, I'm guessing we can come. Can Nick and Bo join us?

CARoperPhotography
04-20-2010, 08:03 PM
If I was unemployed, I'd be in as well..... just to show you all what a real Geo-Jeep can do ;-)

hollora
04-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Depends on the weekend - I am a very slow hiker but would love to try this. I fall down too..........but I am steady - it's just whether folks are willing to have/wait for the drag along.

brdad
04-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Di and I like that kind of hike. Keep us in the loop and if it's on a weekend, I'm guessing we can come. Can Nick and Bo join us?

Assuming they are dogs - Brad's little things made it all the way up, with just a bit of assistance on a couple sections.

Depends on the weekend - I am a very slow hiker but would love to try this. I fall down too..........but I am steady - it's just whether folks are willing to have/wait for the drag along.

No problem, the group can slow down to the slowest person's pace or if not I will. As stated, I'm a bit slow on the uphill stuff myself!

hollora
04-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Assuming they are dogs - Brad's little things made it all the way up, with just a bit of assistance on a couple sections.

No problem, the group can slow down to the slowest person's pace or if not I will. As stated, I'm a bit slow on the uphill stuff myself!

Tks - will watch and hope the date might be ok.

Ekidokai
04-21-2010, 02:04 AM
I wont be pulling a bucket full of crap this time so I might not be as slow. Just the same I'm going to start training.

masterson of the universe
04-21-2010, 05:47 AM
I definitely want to head out when and if something gets organized. I've been eyeing these two for a while and wanting to work my way out in this direction. My days off are currently Sunday and Monday so I'll be watching to see what is planned as well. If I can't make it with the group, I'll just pick a date after everyone else goes so I have plenty of verification that all the stages are in place.

firefighterjake
04-21-2010, 07:24 AM

I just make sure that whomever I am with is meatier and more tender than me . . . bears wouldn't like me . . . too much fat and gristle. ;):D

brdad
04-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Remember, when it comes to bears, you don't have to be able to run faster than they do, you just need to be able to run faster than at least one of your friends...

cano
04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Count me in, any weekend or evening.

pjpreb
04-21-2010, 01:14 PM
I just make sure that whomever I am with is meatier and more tender than me . . . bears wouldn't like me . . . too much fat and gristle. ;):D

I try to make sure whomever I am with is slower than me :D:eek:

JustPJ66
04-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Sorry guys your out of luck I am not going.....hope you are all wearing your running shoes!

skishop
04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
I am interested in joining in on this fun too. It would be cool to meet some of you guys, see a new part of the state, and (most importantly) check off another map in my Delorme. :) I am working the next two weekends, but will monitor this discussion to see what dates are settled on and hopefully I can join you.

firefighterjake
04-22-2010, 07:31 AM
I try to make sure whomever I am with is slower than me :D:eek:

Sounds good . . . but I'm fat and slow . . . so that's why I go with the "tastier person" theory. ;):D

dubord207
04-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Bears in the woods, sharks in the water, no worry. As an atttorney I am given a degree of "professional courtesy" by bears and sharks!:D

drwhogrl
04-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I would love to go after these caches as a group. My days off from work are Sunday and Monday.

brdad
04-22-2010, 06:47 PM
It's looking like a Sunday is going to be the best bet. The 10 yr events are Sunday the 2nd and Mother's Day is the 9th, I can't do either of those days. So that leaves the 16th, 23rd, and 30th (Which is Memorial Day Weekend and may be possible, but I am not 100% sure).

hollora
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Memorial Day will be out for me..........but that's ok. It is the JD Foundation Yard Sale and my commitment to them has been made. Plus it's a fun time.

If you plan to go then, I am sure you will all have a good time. Will keep watching in case another weekend is chosen.

skishop
04-23-2010, 07:52 AM
The 23rd is my preference, but I can probably do any of those three Sundays.

Ekidokai
04-23-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm good on that date.

brdad
04-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I was informed today that the 23rd is out for me.

So that leaves the 16th of May, does that sound good to everyone?

04-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Ill try to swing whatever Sunday we decide on but I need to know ahead of time a.s.a.p. so I can plan on tghe boys beingwith mom.

brdad
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm gonna call the 16th even if I go alone because I should check on it, so plan on that date.

Ekidokai
04-27-2010, 11:33 AM
16th after the CITO in Brewer sounds good.

brdad
04-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Now anyone that can make the 16th, what time do you like? I'm a morning person, so any time will work for me. I know some of those interested have a bit of a drive so we should adjust for that if they are coming.

skishop
04-28-2010, 09:08 AM
I am in for the 16th, and will probably be bringing a couple caching buddies with me. We will be coming from Kingfield, so not too early a meeting time is best for us, but we can be there (generally) whenever. Let me know when and where. Looking forward to it. :)

04-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm all set with the 16th as well. Any time works for me as I don't have anything else planned. Mike, this shouldn't interfere with Brad's Penoby River Clean up event as that is on Saturday.

Ekidokai
04-28-2010, 12:59 PM
As long as it is dark I'm good.

Corey, I know that but thanks.

What? I heard that!

pm28570
04-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Haven't posted anything on this, however am watching it and will try my best to be part of it if I can.

hollora
04-28-2010, 09:36 PM
I think the 16th is good for me. Now to find the recipe for the Hiker Bars - I might be able to must them out.

Ekidokai
04-29-2010, 12:53 AM
I'll bring a bunch of cold water bottles.

brdad
04-29-2010, 02:49 PM
I had to make a run to Clifton today so I took a drive into the parking area for each of the two caches so I could check the roads out.

The main logging roads are great, occasional rock or puddle. Most any vehicle could make it easily. The road going into Halfmile is much the same but it does have some brush on the sides that could mark your vehicle. The .7 mile drive from the main logging road to parking for Mile from a halfmile is more brushy, more rocks to maneuver around, and parts are a bit muddy. Not deep mud, just slippery mud with gravel underneath. I made it in with 2WD drive no problem but had to use 4WD on one section coming out on a muddy uphill section. I did scrape on two rocks coming out which I might have avoided if I tried harder.

Hopefully that helps everyone decide where they need help and we can better decide if anyone wants to carpool from Bangor or if we all meet Where the logging rod meets Rt. 9 or at the parking for Halfmile.

The Rt. 9 turn off is 21 miles from the Bangor-Brewer Bridge.

Had a minute to stop by one of my favorite spots in between the two as well. There used to be a 10-15 foot high beaver dam here!

hollora
04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
813 photo is BEAUTIFUL! I can put 4 other people (with one in the middle of the back) in the 4 runner and bought it for caching ..........a bit of brush, not a problem.........already scratched up!!!!....I am willing to pick up riders.......coming from Orrington up through - we can make a plan. Follow up later.

pjpreb
05-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Hopefully that helps everyone decide where they need help and we can better decide if anyone wants to carpool from Bangor or if we all meet Where the logging rod meets Rt. 9 or at the parking for Halfmile.

I hear you can earn 100 points in a Ekidokai Centum challenge if you can get 100 people in your vehicle...:D:cool::):p

Ekidokai
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the Okeydokey Mobile will not make the trip in, so I'll need a ride from the parking lot.

brdad
05-04-2010, 06:18 PM
I hear you can earn 100 points in a Ekidokai Centum challenge if you can get 100 people in your vehicle...:D:cool::):p

I only need 12 more people to make the challenge, I think I can pile that many in the bed of my truck. Taking Mike should count extra anyway!:D

hollora
05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
I think all of my usual caching group has done this one.........I have 4 extra seats.......and as long as BRDad thinks the 4Runner can do it........I'll drive it. Coords for the meeting place?

brdad
05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
I have coords for the Rt. 9 turn off as well as the parking for Halfmile on the Halfmile page. I should set it up as child waypoints and will try to do that tonight or tomorrow.

The parking form Hhalmile is at N44° 50.806 W68 25.917 (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=N44%C2%B0+50.806+W68+25.917&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.443045,79.013672&ie=UTF8&ll=44.839682,-68.429031&spn=0.01908,0.038581&t=h&z=15), but there are a few turns to get there.

I would think a 4Runner would do as good as my Dakota does.

I hope this bizarre weather we're having stops before the 16th!

shuman road searchers
05-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Trying to get my ducks in a row so I can make it. I just want to meet BRDAD and the cache is only icing on the cake!

Mainiac1957
05-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Trying to get my ducks in a row so I can make it. I just want to meet BRDAD and the cache is only icing on the cake!

He and Mistelee were at the Waterville and Augusta 10 year events. I know I saw you at those two. Can't miss him. Well on second thought I guess you can.:rolleyes:

shuman road searchers
05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
He and Mistelee were at the Waterville and Augusta 10 year events. I know I saw you at those two. Can't miss him. Well on second thought I guess you can.:rolleyes:
I was in shock to see FFJ!http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif! Having never met BRDAD I would not know him if he was standing beside me.

Ekidokai
05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
I was in shock to see FFJ!http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif! Having never met BRDAD I would not know him if he was standing beside me.

He would be the one with his hands around me throat.

Mainiac1957
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
He would be the one with his hands around me throat.

That could have been any one of a number of people...:D

brdad
05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm constantly surprised at how many people I miss at events. :(

Some day we need to have an event set up like a 15 minute date thing, people move from table to table and talk to everyone before the event is done. It's too easy to sit down next to someone you know and talk yourself through an entire event. Hope to see you there SRS.

hollora
05-04-2010, 09:52 PM

Some day we need to have an event set up like a 15 minute date thing, people move from table to table and talk to everyone before the event is done. It's too easy to sit down next to someone you know and talk yourself through an entire event. Hope to see you there SRS.

BRDad - I like the idea...........it would be a nice one to do for a winter event. More inclined to want to socialize rather than go out in the cold to cache.

Ekidokai
05-05-2010, 02:35 AM
I liked the idea that Maniac had with the bingo cards and you had to get people to sign them.

I'm the same way, there just doesn't seem to be away to meet everyone. That's why I asked everyone to introduce themselves at the breakfast. There has to be a good way to see everyone there.

pm28570
05-05-2010, 08:23 AM

Spot on, with this comment and suggestion. I never get to talk to everyone I want to and I generally always try to least walk around to everyone before I leave to say goodbye......darn it's hard to get everyone. The idea is a good one, every few minutes or so you have to move on to the next person(s).

brdad
05-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I added child waypoints for the Route 9 turn off, the turn off the main logging road, and the parking location to the Halfmile cache page.

I am happy with meeting at that parking lot, or if people coming from further away they may be able to carpool from Bangor/Brewer with anyone with extra seating. Alternatively, we could all meet at the North Brewer Shopping center at a given time and work out any carpooling options at that time, and then convoy to the cache site.

Is 10AM if we leave from Brewer or 10:30 AM if we meet at Halfmile parking ok for those traveling from afar? (It takes a half hour to get from brewer to the parking). That would get us done both caches by 3 or 4 PM, depending on how much gawking, talkking, and any other "ings" that need doing...

Date: Sunday, May 16th

hollora
05-05-2010, 11:12 PM
I added child waypoints for the Route 9 turn off, the turn off the main logging road, and the parking location to the Halfmile cache page.

I am happy with meeting at that parking lot, or if people coming from further away they may be able to carpool from Bangor/Brewer with anyone with extra seating. Alternatively, we could all meet at the North Brewer Shopping center at a given time and work out any carpooling options at that time, and then convoy to the cache site.

Is 10AM if we leave from Brewer or 10:30 AM if we meet at Halfmile parking ok for those traveling from afar? (It takes a half hour to get from brewer to the parking). That would get us done both caches by 3 or 4 PM, depending on how much gawking, talkking, and any other "ings" that need doing...

Date: Sunday, May 16th

Sounds like a plan - BRDad - just post about whether to meet at N. Brewer Shopping Center or the cache parking site. Thank you!

drwhogrl
05-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I will be able to make it although I will need a ride from the parking area because my car isnt the offroading type. :) I wish it was though.

brdad
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
I've decided the best way to do this is to plan to meet at the parking for Halfmile, 44° 50.806 W 068° 25.917. The turnoff on Route 9 is at N 44° 49.580 W 068° 24.947. You will have to make an additional right turn at N 44° 50.466 W 068° 26.128 to head towards the parking. All these points are listed on the cache page.

Anyone who is coming from afar and would rather ride from the Bangor area should make arrangements with someone.

We will plan to hike to the cache from the parking area at 10:30 AM so be there before then.

If anyone wants to be able to contact me in case they are late or get lost PM me for a cell number (reception may not be good at the parking area, however).

There is a bridge shortly in from Route 9 that looks a bit scary but there are steel I-beams underneath the treads.

Don't forget to bring some water!

I do not plan on canceling unless the weather is awful and will verify my intentions in this thread as soon as I get up Sunday morning.

Ekidokai
05-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Sounds great.

hollora
05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
I am willing to car pool with a few from No. Brewer Shopping Center. Please email me if you are interested. I think I have one already (will advise if I do not). Room for 3 more. Will determine a time this week.

05-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I am willing to car pool with a few from No. Brewer Shopping Center. Please email me if you are interested. I think I have one already (will advise if I do not). Room for 3 more. Will determine a time this week.

LA, my Passat will only get me so far. I would like to meet up with you either at the shopping center or wherever if you don't mind. I believe DrWhogrl (Wendy) is in the same boat. Just let me know either on here or FB what time you'd like to meet. Thanks.

cano
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Is really the road so bad? I guess I will need a ride from parking too then.

brdad
05-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Is really the road so bad? I guess I will need a ride from parking too then.

The road is not horrible. When Lee found the Halfmile cache, she drove to the parking with her Ford Taurus with no troubles. It no worse than the typical roads off the Stud Mill road. The only rough part is from the main logging road to the parking for Mile From a Halfmile, which we will do afterward. People can ride in the back of my truck for that last .7 mile or get a ride with anyone else with a capable vehicle.

05-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Either way, I'm willing to drive up as far as you think my car can get up with no scraping then ride with someone from there. I did some of those off shoots of the SMR that I really shouldnt have done in my car just because but I didn't like going through puddles that reached the bottom of the doors. You just cant see the rocks under the water and Passats don't come stock with skid plates.:rolleyes:

brdad
05-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Well if you can get a ride with Lois that is the safe bet. I'm not sure how a Passat compared to a Taurus but they are probably close (Quick search online says Passat is 5.2" and Taurus is 5.1"). Worst case we can collect a few at Rt. 9 and drive in from there in one of the other vehicles or the back of my truck.

I may have a seat in my truck as well, depending on if my brother goes or not and whether he brings his own vehicle or not.

hollora
05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
I had committed to itsmeDeb and she has a caching partner who is coming. MOU posted next and DrWhoGal is with MOU - so my 4 seats are spoken for.....Anyone else going with a high ride vehicle who can give Cano a lift? If not he can meet us at 9 and we will get him in somehow.

dubord207
05-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Di and I are coming. We're bringing Nick and Bo in our Highlander. It's "possible" to put a passenger in the rear seat with the two wingnut labs but that passenger will have his/her face licked clean of everything but the top layer of skin, plus it's "shedding season" so a fair amount of dog hair should be expected.

You game Cano? You like dogs? You like lobster rolls and beer? ( Woops, I didn't mean to let our secret caching lunch out of the bag!):)

brdad
05-12-2010, 06:16 PM
New rule! Any food you bring, you must bring enough for everyone!
Moxie may be substituted for beer, but no other substitutions allowed! :):):)

hollora
05-12-2010, 06:24 PM
new rule! Any food you bring, you must bring enough for everyone!
Moxie may be substituted for beer, but no other substitutions allowed! :):):)

lol :d:d

hollora
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
K - got it - no flip flops, crocs or even hiking sandals.........hiking boots are the footwear of the day. Walking stick recommended. Falling down - not recommended. I think I got it!

Ekidokai
05-13-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm game. Dogs taste great.

pm28570
05-13-2010, 08:26 AM
....the predicated weather forecast is going to be near-perfect.

Ekidokai
05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Tip:

Even with te frezing temps I'm sure there will be a ton of bugs. Wear a hat and a bug net over that. It will make the trip much better.

brdad
05-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Tip:

Even with te frezing temps I'm sure there will be a ton of bugs. Wear a hat and a bug net over that. It will make the trip much better.

The skeeters are so big out there you can often see them dive into the lake and come up with a trout!

brdad
05-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Looks like we're still good to go and my brother delroy61 will be coming and possibly his soon to be stepson, who I think has his own caching name too, but I forget.

hollora
05-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Looks like we're still good to go and my brother delroy61 will be coming and possibly his soon to be stepson, who I think has his own caching name too, but I forget.

Sounds great - I am all for summary stuff. :)

We will all meet at _______ place at _______time? For those not able to traverse to the above meeting place - everyone is on their own to make arrangement? :D (I have my group informed I believe.) Just need final meeting place and time.

The hike is staring from the parking (posted on the cache page for 1/2 mile) at _________time? We are all responsible for our own food and beverage. :D (We should have planned a pot luck ;) LOL) We are all advised to bring food and at least 2 litres of water. Correct?

Prepare for bugs! Wear good footgear. A walking stick will help although the beavers may help or hinder you along the way. All that hikie stuff - yada, yada.................

Be prepared for the excursion to be several hours - probably will not finish until 4:30P - 5P. :eek:

What did I forget BRDad and please - fill in the blanks. ;)

I have itsmedeb and partner as well as masterson and drwhogal with me as far as I know - if anyone is going to fall out - please let me know.

Who is picking up Cano or is he meeting someone at the Rt.9 intersection? Anyone else hanging out there needing a ride, directions or help?

Thanks BRDad for organizing this excursion - it should be great fun. ;)

brdad
05-15-2010, 05:48 AM
We will all meet at The parking area for Halfmile (N 44° 50.806 W 068° 25.917), at May 16th, 2010 10:30 AM EST. For those not able to traverse to the above meeting place - everyone is on their own to make arrangement. If you are unsure, say so now and I will wait by the Rt 9 entrance and follow you in and give you a ride if you feel you have gone far enough or exchange cell numbers or whatever.

Make sure you understand how to derive coordinates from the letters on the hockey pucks, you will get no help from me!

The hike is starting from the parking (posted on the cache page for 1/2 mile) at May 16th, 2010 10:30 AM EST? We are all responsible for our own food and beverage. (We should have planned a pot luck LOL) We are all advised to bring food and at least 2 litres of water.

Prepare for bugs! Wear good footgear. A walking stick will help although the beavers may help or hinder you along the way. All that hikie stuff - yada, yada................. Remember rabies is a growing issue and that Ekidokai is coming with us.

After we finish Halfmile we will continue on to do Mile From a Halfmile. Anyone that can drive to the Halfmile parking will be able to drive to .7 miles from the Mile From a Halfmile parking, we can carpool in with capable vehicles to that parking spot. Be prepared for the excursion to be several hours - probably will not finish until 4:30P - 5P.

Looks like we could have as many as 15 people! When we get to the top, you can find the cache as you like, either as a group or individually. The cache area is out of sight from the bluff so either way is possible. There are aspects of the cache that may make it more enjoyable to locate alone, although it has been almost a year since anyone has seen the cache so it may not be the case anymore.

Baileymut
05-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Hey everybody, This should be a good time and thanks to all those who put this shin-dig together. My wife & I will be headed up with SkiShop tomorrow. A few questions...
We'll be bringing along a young one(3.5 months) in her backpack hiker. She sticks up over my head a bit, should we bring a more compact carrier for her? Thinking of sticks, etc...
We've got a mut(guess the name) who loves to hike too. Anyone not a fan of 80lb dogs? If so, it's not an issue, she can have a play-day with the neighbors, but we thought we'd throw it out there knowing that not everyone loves dogs.
Also, I can bring my pickup you think that will be helpful. We'll have 4 in it, but could put another 2 in the cab and Bailey would love company in the back if needed.

See ya'll tomorrow...

brdad
05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
There might be some overhanging branches, but with a baby I'd be more worried about the steep parts and tough footing over the beaver dam.

I don't think anyone has problems with dogs, there are at least two other dogs coming.

An extra 4X4 may not hurt for the .7 mile up to the Mile From a Halfmile parking.

dubord207
05-15-2010, 03:07 PM
I just read the estimate on the amount of time to complete this and unfortunately, we have part of Di's family coming over late tomorrow afternoon to celebrate an important 5th birthday. We had figured we'd be back home by 4, 4:30 at the latest but with Dave's estimated time for finishing this won't work for us. Too bad because we just picked up the lobster meat!

Will it really take that long? I looked at the topo and there is some up and down but is it more then 3.5 miles round trip? I was thinking 3 hours would do it, or did I read that somewhere?

Well, it's familly first so we'll have to get up and do this at another time. Wish we could have made it. Have fun and take a lot of pictures!

brdad
05-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Halfmile takes about 3 hours round trip without talking and eating - two hours there and one back. If we leave the parking at 10:30 AM as planned we could theoretically be back at parking by 1:30 PM. If we stop to eat and talk and gawk, add a half hour, that would be 2:00 PM.

I think if you Just did Halfmile it is doable. Doing Mile from a Halfmile afterward you would really be pushing it.

It may take less than 2 hours to get to the cache with so many people looking for the stages.

It's hard for me to judge the time with so many coming. The stages should be found sooner but there may be more gabbing. If you want to come early and head in ahead of the rest you can do that as well.

hollora
05-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Thank you BRDad for leading this charge. I am now going to take notes!

@dubord - you and Di could head in early OR come with the rest and only do one of the caches. If you can't make it at all we will miss you. If you got Lobster for all of us - freeze it! We can do scampi another time soon LOL

@hollora riders - itsmedeb & friend + mou & Drwhogal - I will see you at the N Brewer Shopping center between 9:15 & 9:30. If that is a problem - email me for my cell. I think I may have already given it to you. If you want - email me your cell numbers too.

Did anyone hook up with Cano to get him into parking? Cano - contact BRDad and he will meet you on Rt. 9.

Sounds like a fun day and the weather is supposed to be wonderful.

cano
05-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I will try to drive directly to the parking coordinates. I have been in many crazy places with my car already and AAA even made a special quick access menu for me. Really, when you call AAA you will hear something like press 1 for English, press 2 if you are Cano and are stuck somewhere where normal people just don't go, Para espaņol presione 3 :)

brdad
05-15-2010, 08:39 PM
I will wait by the bridge about .2 mile in from Route 9 until about 10:15 AM for everyone I am sure is coming. If they are stuck or don't dare go further I'll pick them up on my way in!

You could scrape bottom if you try hard enough or a few branch marks, but if anyone gets stuck and needs AAA going to the parking lot for Halfmile, they must be a very bad driver! I have a tow strap in my truck anyway. But it will cost $20 and your find on Halfmile. :D

hollora
05-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Just learned at least one of my riders (justmedeb) has a family emergency and can not come. Cano = if you prefer to ride with crazy me - we are meeting at the North Brewer Shopping Center on Rt.9 between 9:15 and 9:30. Let me know by morning if you are stilling going to test AAA or if you would like to ride with me and MOU and DrWhoGal?

05-15-2010, 09:35 PM
I am in a bad position all of a sudden where I have a golf ball size protrusion in my abdomen which I believe may be a hernia? Google is only making things worse as you shouldn't really read what a doctor should be telling you. I am headed to the ER tonight as I cant find what the normal procedure is. Sorry Im going to miss this trip unless they tell me to go home and not worry about it. Dang it, I really had intentions of making this trip with everyone.

hollora
05-15-2010, 10:19 PM
I am in a bad position all of a sudden where I have a golf ball size protrusion in my abdomen which I believe may be a hernia? Google is only making things worse as you shouldn't really read what a doctor should be telling you. I am headed to the ER tonight as I cant find what the normal procedure is. Sorry Im going to miss this trip unless they tell me to go home and not worry about it. Dang it, I really had intentions of making this trip with everyone.

Your health is not worth any geocache - just let us know if we should expect you and otherwise - we all wish you a speedy recovery. And DrWhoGal surely could come - I will make sure she has a good time. She hasn't heard about the chicken at the Flash Mob yet..............

pjpreb
05-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Just a polite reminder to all you halfmile trekkers to bring bear spray and an extra pair of socks :D Have a great time all - can't wait to read your logs!!

Ekidokai
05-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds good. I'll do my best to get there by 10:00AM.

hollora
05-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Just a polite reminder to all you halfmile trekkers to bring bear spray and an extra pair of socks :D Have a great time all - can't wait to read your logs!!

Is the spray for Ekidokai or Cano and socks - I have to wear socks in my boots! LOL ;) I may need extra pants!

hollora
05-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Mike - I now have room - would you like to meet me at the North Brewer Shopping by 9:30? Just call the house in the early morning..........post here - whatever.

brdad
05-15-2010, 11:07 PM

That stinks, but worst case I see another trip in the future! Good luck with your visit, keep us updated!

hollora
05-15-2010, 11:08 PM
That stinks, but worst case I see another trip in the future! Good luck with your visit, keep us updated!

Yes, we will all be awaiting an update..............

Ekidokai
05-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Yes Hollora I'll be there. My phone was in the van.

Corey, think positively, that makes all the difference.

brdad
05-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Only got a few hours sleep, but I am still a go. Looks like a great day!

JustKev
05-16-2010, 06:40 AM

pjpreb, those are black flies, not bears. They're just really big after sucking all the blood out of brdad last time he was in the area.

Ekidokai
05-16-2010, 07:50 AM
I wonder if that might be Corey's evil twine coming to the surface?

hollora
05-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Only got a few hours sleep, but I am still a go. Looks like a great day!

See you soon! Looks like a beautiful day!

brdad
05-16-2010, 08:10 AM
A few stops to make but I am on my way out, any more contact will have to be by cell, which is behind the seat in my pack ;-)

dubord207
05-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Anxious to hear the reports. Sorry we couldn't work out the logistics. We did 5 in Bradbury, walked over 7 miles as the trails are tricky, but what a great day to be out and caching..sun, no bugs, no ticks on me when I got home. Hope you guys had a good time!:)

Mainiac1957
05-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I wasn't with them, but I just talked with Hollora and they did both Halfmile and Mile from Halfmile.

brdad
05-16-2010, 07:08 PM
We had a great time. I could not have had a better time doing a cache I could log a smiley on. Thanks to everyone who came to find these two caches. And that little baby! So cute and now holds the record for the youngest to conquer Halfmile! 3.5 months!

For the record, we were back to the parking for Halfmile at 1:30 PM, so it took just under 3.5 hours.

It was great to see hollora make Mile from a Hafmile as a milestone, and even better she is on the list of only 4 cachers who have found all 6 of my current caches - matched so far only by mainiac1957, msteelee, and parmachenee.

To all who didn't make it, we can easily set up another date if you'd like to find these as a group. Maybe I'll be in better shape next time!

I'll post all my pics online tonight or tomorrow.

hollora
05-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Home - glad for the boots to be off and ready for (oh dang - sold the hot tub).......well I do have a tub so I guess a bubble bath will help. Tired, sweaty, a few bug bites but a genuine sense of accomplishement on this cachers part.

BRDad's estimated times were right on target. He took a ton of photos and I hope posts some - on the cache pages.........some of you will get a huge laugh out of my creative descent from 1/2 mile.

Not everyone who planned to come were able to do so and there were some who hadn't posted about coming who came - so we had a good group. Ekidokai's memory is bad but mine is worse so I hope I include everyone here (and apologize in advance for not knowing a name or caching name).

BRDad was assault team leader (but didn't tell a clue and kept telling us the clues on the cache page were there for a reason LOL); BRDad's brother; HappyTogether (I think it was - he was from Bath); skishop; skishop's two friends, their dog and 3 month old beautiful baby in her pack; Ekidokai; Cano and I all started from parking at a little after 10:30A. AVEmery and Kim had called me when I was turning off Rt. 9 and I encouraged them to come on along and just hit the trail and catch up. And that they did - meeting us on the trail - in incredible time.

We did halfmile first, found all the stages in place and the cache sitting there waiting. We enjoyed the view from the summit and ate some lunch. Then we started the descent.

Crossing the beaver dam this time was a bigger challenge as the wind was whipping the waves right to, and over, the dam.........but we made it. The final hill out made me wonder about the next one but I knew I could do it.

I remember Mainiac1957 telling me these were not a piece of cake and be prepared. I was mentally prepared and probably as physically prepared as this old body could be. Thankful, I am for everyone's patience with me. And yes, I was creative at times and generated some chuckles.

So - off we were to do the next one - 4 wheel drive IS essential to get into the parking - without question - or you need an ATV. Cano parked his Geovehicle and to to enjoy my driving LOL - and then we were off to a casual hike up an incline to the top of the bluff. I put some more on my cache logs so read there.

This story would not be complete without thanking BRDad for these placements, for encouraging a group hunt, being there with us and my co-hikers encouragement and help. There are some hikes I will never forget and this is one for sure!

pm28570
05-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Like others, wanted to do this but other responsibilities took over. Sounds like a good time was had by all. It's still on my list and I am convinced a group hike is a great way to do it. So Cory, Dan & Di, perhaps we can re-book.

brdad
05-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Here are the pictures I took. If anyone would like a full resolution of one let me know. I think rcwhit might be able to doctor a few of these. :)
(There are two pages)
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/brdad/Halfmile%20Trip%205-16-2010/

This video shows Lois' special technique!

uwl-xjJ78F0

hollora
05-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Please, please do notice - I had a Relay for Life shirt on and the word you could read was HOPE! I hoped I could make it and thanks to everyone I did!

skishop
05-16-2010, 10:29 PM
What a fantastic day. I always have fun caching with my friends on team Baileymutt (now including the youngest cacher I personally know) and it was great to meet people who I know from logs (both online and in caches) and from this site. BRdad, thanks so much for putting this together. I am sure that you felt like you were herding cats at time, but your cheerful demeanor kept all having a good time. Both of these hikes are do-able by most, all you need is a positive attitude, and maybe hiking poles or a good stick for balance getting across the beaver dam. I left my (found) stick on the parking side of the beaver dam for those who come next. I strongly recommend this to anybody looking for a fun few hours outside, even if your schedules don't match up with others (although it is a lot of fun with a group). What I love about caching is that regularly takes me to places that I drive by often without taking the time to slow down and see what is there. I have learned a lot about local histories and been made to find the time to pause and appreciate the beautiful area we live in. These caches belong in a different category. They are far outside my usual stomping grounds, but beyond that, even if I drove through this area on a daily basis there is no way I would have found my way back here and discovered these views and places. Thank you so much for placing these caches out here for us to find, and thank you to everybody who made the trek today. I had a lot of fun with you, and look forward to seeing more of you out there on the trail.

Cheers,

skishop

Ekidokai
05-17-2010, 01:27 PM
I thought I did OK on these two mountain top hikes. It might have been the great company that took my mind off the feet.

I have bad blisters on the bottoms of my feet. Wore my winter boots and they are to big for light socks so, you know, feet moving in the boots and being hot does not mix. I'll be out of commission for a while.

The trek was worth it. The company was great. We had such a great time hiking and talking. Food too. Hiker bars.

WhereRWe?
05-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Sheesh! Is this what geocaching is all about, or what? Looks like everyone had fun. :D:D

brdad
05-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Sheesh! Is this what geocaching is all about, or what? Looks like everyone had fun. :D:D

Yes we did, where were you? :p:p

Tat was going to bike there but he never showed up, hope he's still not lost in the woods!

It was great to see HappyTogether show up unannounced from bath and Skishop and BaileyMutts from Kingfield. Don't pass up a chance to meet up with any of these people! Not to mention avemery & kim, as well as Lois. Ekidokai on the other hand ... Well, he was fun to watch!

WhereRWe?
05-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Sheesh! If I had fallen and couldn't get up, would you have carried me back? LOL!

I'm afraid my days of 3 1/2 hour hikes are over. Even if I was a lot lighter, my knees would not take it. :(:(

hollora
05-17-2010, 02:54 PM
The recipe for Hiker Bars is in our recipe thread here. Easy to make for sure!

JustKev
05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
If tat didn't make it, have there been any new caches published since you guys got back? Maybe someone needs to go back to check for him?

Just kidding, I saw the caches this morning.....unless his system is automated?

tat
05-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Tat was going to bike there but he never showed up, hope he's still not lost in the woods!

It was great to see HappyTogether show up unannounced from bath and Skishop and BaileyMutts from Kingfield. Don't pass up a chance to meet up with any of these people! Not to mention avemery & kim, as well as Lois. Ekidokai on the other hand ... Well, he was fun to watch!

Glubb.... Glubb...

I'm ok!

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/502/thumbs/CIMG0587.JPG (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2956)http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/502/thumbs/CIMG0591.JPG (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2957)

We almost made it! A friend and I left the Milford dump at 10 am, about the same time the big group was leaving Brewer. My friend is very familiar the trails but I wanted to go on a particular trail. He said he never went that way because it was a bit wet. The only worse idea than going taking that road was building it! (Of course, it's probably quite nice in the winter)

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/502/thumbs/CIMG0595.JPG (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2958)

I think we would have been close if we'd left an hour earlier. But, there is a back way into the cache.

Had a great time even though we didn't actually make it to the cache.

hollora
05-18-2010, 10:15 AM
LOL Well, there were a few other GCM folks, who although they weren't trying to meet us - looked like they were in somewhat the same kind of conditions as TAT encountered, only on their ATVs. What is it with the mud? Of course if you're havin' fun - who cares..........

firefighterjake
05-18-2010, 12:01 PM
LOL Well, there were a few other GCM folks, who although they weren't trying to meet us - looked like they were in somewhat the same kind of conditions as TAT encountered, only on their ATVs. What is it with the mud? Of course if you're havin' fun - who cares..........

Hmmm . . . sounds like you saw some pics of Hiram, Dave and Allyson and my adventures on Sunday. ;):D

hollora
05-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Hmmm . . . sounds like you saw some pics of Hiram, Dave and Allyson and my adventures on Sunday. ;):D

Why yes, I did - actually looked like fun! :D:):D

Ekidokai
05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Here are a few pictures...

Ekidokai
05-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Wow what a trip...

brdad
05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Nice pictures

dubord207
05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Well I guess the trek wasn't quite as long as initially estimated. Di and I definetly want to tackle these two and it's always more fun caching in a group. So if others indicate they're headed up, we'll try to join in.

If not, we'll do it alone but how's the cell service in that part of the world if we get stumped?:)

brdad
05-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I think we could easily get another group together. Blueberries will be ripe before we know it!

I was amazed I had cell reception at the parking area, did not try it on the bluff.

Ekidokai
05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Well we were calling in forest fires from up there.

brdad
05-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Well we were calling in forest fires from up there.

Was that cellular or radio though?

Ekidokai
05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Cellular from up there. Too far for radio.

pm28570
05-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Well I guess the trek wasn't quite as long as initially estimated. Di and I definetly want to tackle these two and it's always more fun caching in a group. So if others indicate they're headed up, we'll try to join in.

If not, we'll do it alone but how's the cell service in that part of the world if we get stumped?:)

Dan, I would want to do this in a group and I think MOU might consider it as well. My only downside is scheduling due to family obligations and 2 overseas trips coming in June and August. And.....not a fast hiker.

shuman road searchers
05-18-2010, 08:54 PM

Once baseball is over I would be up for doing these with you and DI. I guess that makes a group!

hollora
05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Dan, I would want to do this in a group and I think MOU might consider it as well. My only downside is scheduling due to family obligations and 2 overseas trips coming in June and August. And.....not a fast hiker.

Not a place I wanted to try alone either! MOU is definitely interested.

Half Mile
I am not a fast hiker either - the group will attest to that. But I did it without stressing or overdoing to much. Everyone was very encouraging and helped me.

Another time I would wear a knee wrap. The going up wasn't bad - coming down my bad one was hurting. And of course - you can all see I slid part way. Whatever it takes - right?

Definitely a walking stick or sticks helps - and especially for the beaver dam. I think when Hiram357 and crew tried this (they couldn't find stage 2) - they crossed further down later in the year (late summer early fall).

As for Mile from Halfmile.....if you can make it into parking (must have 4x4 and not be worried about scratches) you have a piece of cake. An old ATV trail which goes up - and up - you can pace yourself and coming down is all down (not up and down like halfmile). If you can't drive in - well, it will be a long hike.

Definitely a fun group hike! Timing seemed perfect despite all our varied abilities. And it sounds like BRDad would be willing to lead another charge again (he loves to watch and doesn't give out secrets or clues - print them or bring them or you may be out of luck). But - the Dad is a great coach and very encouraging!

Ekidokai
05-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Don't let her fool any of you. She climbs those mountains just fine. Even if I dropped 75 pounds she would still be giving me a run for the money.

I don't think she fell once. I fell twice.

The only reason I didn't quit was she was up ahead of me with those hiker bars.

JustKev
05-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Don't let her fool any of you. She climbs those mountains just fine. Even if I dropped 75 pounds she would still be giving me a run for the money.

I don't think she fell once. I fell twice.

The only reason I didn't quit was she was up ahead of me with those hiker bars.

She was the "carrot on a string"?

brdad
05-27-2010, 06:18 PM
I finally got the cache camera developed for Halfmile. They were so late I got them for free! I uploaded smaller pics to a cache log at
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=dda78ec2-90cc-403d-97a8-9cdc15be1151

If you want any of the full resolution pics, you can find them at
http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/fora/HalfmileCamera/

hollora
05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks BRDad!