View Full Version : Next Stupid Question.....

JustPJ66
04-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Kevin and I like to plan our geocaching trips....pack up snacks and a picnic lunch (sometimes even a small bbq) and make a day out of it. Do you all do that or do you just pick up some while out and about and if you do make a day of it I would like to know what your favorite food is to take.

Today I am making homemade granola with all sorts of dried fruit and other goodies in it, just to take with us when we go. Do you make special things? Maybe you buy a meal from your favorite places...I would like to know that too so if we are in the area maybe we will give your place a try.

anyway just wondering...and if anyone wants the granola recipe just let me know I am happy to share.

JustPJ66
04-24-2010, 01:09 PM
already had a couple of people ask for this so after the last one i cut and pasted it and thought why dont i just post it here for anyone who wants it. here it is.....

Granola
This recipe makes up a ton of this but if you keep it in an airtight container it will keep a LONG time. cant tell you how long as we have never had it around long enough for it to go bad.

3 Cups old fashioned oats
2 Cups rice Crispy cereal
1/2 Cup toasted wheat germ or flax seed germ
1/2 Cup dry milk
1/3 Cup slivered almonds (we use mixed nuts or peanuts)
1/4 Cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds ( I put more :) )
1/4 teaspoon salt can be omitted if using salted nuts

Combine all of the above ingredients well and set aside.

Then put

1/2 Cup OJ
1/4 Cup honey
2 Teaspoon canola oil

in a sauce pan and heat till melted . Remove from heat and add 1/2 Teaspoon almond or vanilla extract.

Add to oat mixture and mix well. Spread on cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Stiring every 10 minutes to allow for even browning. Cool completely and then add dried fruits.

We use all or a combination of the following:
Dried pineapple, m & m's, dried mango, dried apricots, rasins, dried cranberries, dates, dried bananna, flaked coconut . About 1/2 cup to 1 cup of each depending on your tastes

This is wicked yummy stuff. Hope you like it.

brdad
04-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Sometimes we take a snack, sometimes a snack and a lunch, sometimes we just assume we'll find somewhere good to eat. Packing a snack and a lunch seems more sensible, it takes up less time and you can have it wherever you are.

Thanks for the recipe, I think Hollora should add it to her Geocachers recipe article!

WhereRWe?
04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
RULost2? usually "has to go", which usually means a fast-food place. And since we're there already... :D:D

rcwhit
04-24-2010, 02:48 PM
RULost2? usually "has to go", which usually means a fast-food place. And since we're there already... :D:D

I think RULost2 and my wife may be related!!! :eek:

JustPJ66
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
it is a secret club......we all meet in the bathrooms and talk about you guys!

NativeMainer
04-24-2010, 04:05 PM
it is a secret club......we all meet in the bathrooms and talk about you guys!

Hah! It's a conspiracy. I knew it.

Wait a minute. My wife usually doesn't go with me...

masterson of the universe
04-24-2010, 05:13 PM
While a lot of the caches I do, I bring my 4 and 1 year old kids with me. Snacks are definitely involved if we'll be out for a while. I like to have them available as well if we do a long cache walk or hike as it's nice to have a bit of a recharge if for some reason I've had to play "how long can I carry you before my back gives out?" One cache I did that wasn't stroller friendly I carried Cosmo. By the end of the walk, Cooper was tired so I was carrying him on my shoulders and holding Cosmo.
If we end up doing Halfmile and Mile from halfmile, that will be a childless trip for sure but there still will be snacks. Not neccessarily because I get hungry, but if I end up being the slowest person, I want to make sure I have a tasty snack to give my self a head start on any bears. :)

CARoperPhotography
04-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Marcipanek and I always make sure we have an assortment of good beers in a cooler in the back of the Jeep..... they sure made Stud Mill (both of our times up there) more lively ;-)

Haffy
04-24-2010, 08:32 PM
oh great a couple of more idiots out there who drink and drive!!!!

JustKev
04-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Used to be you could ride the roads in unorganized townships either as a youngster learning to drive or as an adult who wanted to have a couple of soothing beverages while he/she rode along. Not so anymore. If you're drinking and driving on the dirt roads in an unorganized township now days, the game wardens can ticket you just as if you were in downtown Portland and the Portland PD caught you.

dubord207
04-25-2010, 07:28 AM
I don't sense that anybody is suggesting that drunk driving is ok because it's not..period. It is not a crime or violation to have a beer and then drive. That's why the State runs adds about responsible drinking. Di and I had two beers apiece yesterday, out of the car after some caches that were hikes. Nothing wrong with that (or the lobster rolls we had with them) in my book. The picnics we have while caching are a big part of the fun for us, plus if we pack everything we need we're not tempted to eat junk food.:)

CARoperPhotography
04-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Yes, again someone reads what I say in a post and assumes something or puts words into my mouth (or in this case, keyboard). I never said in my post that we drink while we are driving. While doing Stud Mill both times we were up there and on the road, we pulled over and hung out with our lunch or snacks and enjoyed a beer. This is not "drunk driving". This is no different than driving somewhere for lunch and having a beer or two, then leaving and then going to dinner six hours later and having another beer or two with dinner, then driving home.

If you really want to talk about the breaking of driving laws, especially while Geocaching, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess (not assume) that the vast majority of us have broken Maine's distracted driving law while caching, or even while not caching by either eating a McDonald's quarter pounder while driving, texting while driving, reaching for something while driving, or entering cords into a GPS or using the GPS in some manner to navigate to a cache while driving.

Studies have shown that texting while driving increases your stopping distance and reaction time while driving considerably more than even being intoxicated while driving. I wonder what the reaction time and stopping distance are on someone who is fiddling with their GPS while driving?

CARoperPhotography
04-25-2010, 05:25 PM
oh great a couple of more idiots out there who drink and drive!!!!

As I recall, in a recent thread that was closed by the site administrators, when I supposedly implied that someone was a moron, that post was deleted and I was pilloried by the rest of you all.... I wonder if Brdad will do the same for this post? I think not..... ahhh the hypocrisy.

LaughingTerry
04-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Distracted driving. Yep putting coords in, looking at the screen, but not with traffic or people around. My insurance is bad enough now. LOL

I almost got rear-ended by a kid today. Every time I looked in my mirror he was riding my bumper while looking down in his lap. Hmmmmmm Then he was upset that I kept slowing down so I wouldn't get too close to the truck in front of me. THEN the car behind him passed all 3 of us, he peeled out from behind and passed me and the pickup in a no passing zone. THEN the pickup passed both of them even though he had been going 5 miles under the speed limit up to that point. From there it went stupid and I finally called dispatch and asked them to send an officer that way if one was close. Last I saw they were doing 65 in a 35 coming into some small town and I wasn't about to try and keep up.

Now what was this thread about again?

WhereRWe?
04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes, again someone reads what I say in a post and assumes something or puts words into my mouth (or in this case, keyboard). I never said in my post that we drink while we are driving. ?

What you said was "Marcipanek and I always make sure we have an assortment of good beers in a cooler in the back of the Jeep..... they sure made Stud Mill (both of our times up there) more lively ;-)"

1. You "ALWAYS MAKE SURE" you have an "ASSORTMENT" of beers in a cooler. How many beers do you take in that "assortment?

2. "THEY sure made the Stud Mill (both times) more lively. (Implies that you had more than one and were under the effects of alchohol. Why else would the trip be "more lively"?)

3. The ";-)" implies something as well. What? (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, you know what I mean? You know what I mean?)

From what you've said, it is very easy to infer that drinking during a caching trip is normal for you, is it not? Without even putting words in your mouth.

CARoperPhotography
04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/news/article4776063.ece

There you are...

WhereRWe?
04-25-2010, 05:47 PM
As I recall, in a recent thread that was closed by the site administrators, when I supposedly implied that someone was a moron, that post was deleted and I was pilloried by the rest of you all.... I wonder if Brdad will do the same for this post? I think not..... ahhh the hypocrisy.

And this thread was about eating and taking lunches on caching trips. You are the one that hijacked the thread and started talking about the "assortment of beers" you ALWAYS bring on caching trips. (No mention of food to go along with that ASSORTMENT of beers...)

CARoperPhotography
04-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Drinking during a caching trip. Not drinking while driving down Stud Mill at 60 mph and using a GPS at the same time.

Yes an assortment of beers. Who wants to drink one kind? For example, to celebrate #100 on our first Stud Mill Trip, we had some delicious Belgian Cherry Lambec with us.

As far as the effects of drinking? Yes I have been under the "effect" of drinking alcohol before and then driven. Why would I drink a beer or two if I wasn't going to have some sort of an effect? However, Maine has an blood alcohol limit. I know how many drinks it takes for me to be above that limit. I have used a BA analyzer to determine what my limit is, and I know what my limit is. Mind you, two beers for me, doesn't do much and doesn't raise my BA over the legal limit in Maine however for light weights, it may. I am 6'2", and weigh 210. Volumes of beer effect different sizes of people differently.

I hijacked the thread??? HA! I added to the thread and mentioned that I usually bring some adult beverages along for LONG days of caching. It was about snacks and what we eat and consume on caching trips. I added what I consume. What's your issue?

Sorry if I didn't give you my recipe for granola, but I don't have one. I can email you one damn fine home brew recipe though....

brdad
04-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Good point, although I do see a few differences in the post. I think most people will agree drinking and driving is not a good thing as well as being against the law when it meets a certain limit and anyone doing so might be rightfully named something other than smart. Plus, not one person had reported haffy's post.

I think both of your posts could be taken wrong. Yours can easily suggest you drink while caching, His could be taken as suggesting you you are an ***** for doing so.

For the sake of keeping this thread out of the gutter, lets keep this subject off limits. If anyone feels the need to discuss it, lets start another thread, or discuss it in Hiram and WhereRwe's Beer Chat Thread (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1275).

CARoperPhotography
04-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Here is your mention of food. Marcipanek brings A LOT of tiramisu with him for us to eat while caching. Is that good enough for you?

WhereRWe?
04-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes an assortment of beers. Who wants to drink one kind? For example, to celebrate #100 on our first Stud Mill Trip, we had some delicious Belgian Cherry Lambec with us.

That's "Lambic", a style noted for the use of wild yeasts.

WhereRWe?
04-25-2010, 05:54 PM
I think both of your posts could be taken wrong. Yours can easily suggest you drink while caching, His could be taken as suggesting you you are an ***** for doing so.

No - my post would have been taken correctly. :D:D

CARoperPhotography
04-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Sorry, Lambic :-) Tasty too, although I prefer hearty dark stouts! And on that note, I am gonna go have a few beers..... adios Mr. Nitpicking Spell Checker

CARoperPhotography
04-25-2010, 05:55 PM

I think you and I should go for a beer ;-)

brdad
04-25-2010, 05:56 PM

I was talking about Haffy & CARPs posts, not yours.

WhereRWe?
04-25-2010, 06:07 PM
I was talking about Haffy & CARPs posts, not yours.

Sheesh! Well, I moved the beer discussion, anyway... :D:D

Mainiac1957
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
This is getting old... Rick might as well shut this website down as all it has become is a schoolyard where everyone just kicks sand in each others faces.

Chadd I have met you on two occasions: Both of which I felt like you are a decent guy. I also listened to your interview on Kacky's podcast. You sound like someone I would like to be friends and cache with. Sorry if I am portraying you in a good light!

Bruce You I have know for a long time: You are also a good guy whenever I see you at an event or where ever. Again, you are a person I consider a friend.

I have had more people ask me why this site can't go back to the days when it was a friendly, happy place. I was one of the first to join back in 2004. Caching was different and I guess so were cachers. And yes I know there have been a few over the years who have raised the hackles of a few members. Eventually things worked themselves out. We are supposed to be here for the caching community. To help the new ones getting into the hobby. Not to scare the crap out of them making them think we are all angry lunatics. I made a decision awhile back to not post on these types and tones of threads. But damn it, enough is enough. Now you all can tell be to mind my own business and to crap in my hat, but I pay to support this site like many others do. I'm not paying for a constant war between members. Lets get it together and move on. Sorry if this hits too close to home for some, and I am also sorry if it doesn't hit close enough for others

CARoperPhotography
04-25-2010, 09:03 PM
This is getting old... Rick might as well shut this website down as all it has become is a schoolyard where everyone just kicks sand in each others faces.

Chadd I have met you on two occasions: Both of which I felt like you are a decent guy. I also listened to your interview on Kacky's podcast. You sound like someone I would like to be friends and cache with. Sorry if I am portraying you in a good light!

Bruce You I have know for a long time: You are also a good guy whenever I see you at an event or where ever. Again, you are a person I consider a friend.

I have had more people ask me why this site can't go back to the days when it was a friendly, happy place. I was one of the first to join back in 2004. Caching was different and I guess so were cachers. And yes I know there have been a few over the years who have raised the hackles of a few members. Eventually things worked themselves out. We are supposed to be here for the caching community. To help the new ones getting into the hobby. Not to scare the crap out of them making them think we are all angry lunatics. I made a decision awhile back to not post on these types and tones of threads. But damn it, enough is enough. Now you all can tell be to mind my own business and to crap in my hat, but I pay to support this site like many others do. I'm not paying for a constant war between members. Lets get it together and move on. Sorry if this hits too close to home for some, and I am also sorry if it doesn't hit close enough for others

Portraying me in a good light? I think I may come off as being an instigator because I have no qualms standing up for myself here, and defending what I say. Not a problem though, I really didn't think that what I said in this thread was really off topic. It was about what we like to bring for consumables on caching expeditions and I added in my favorites.

If the paying members all combined and together asked me to not post anymore, I would happily do so.

CARoperPhotography
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM

Is there a law against drinking while caching? I will proudly and happily admit that I have had a beer in my hand while signing the log of a cache before! I've found a cache with a sampler pack of fine Czech Absinthes in a cache as an FTF prize as well.... and gotten a 6 Pack of Pilsner as an FTF prize as well! I even held an Event Cache at my favorite tavern down here in Kennebunk, that many attended and.... gosh... had beers at! Go read the logs... I am sure others have drank while caching.

JustPJ66
04-25-2010, 09:12 PM
as the person who started this thread....i am chosing to close it. This is out of hand.........and I for one am tired of watching this childish back and fourth.