View Full Version : Closing a thread

dubord207
04-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Nice to see that option used to close an out of hand "discussion." Very early on in my caching career and participation on this site, I learned to pause before hitting the "send" button, something others should try.

So do your fellow cachers a favor and "close a thread" that gets out of hand. The moderators should not have to be caught in the crossfire. We can self-police ourselves if we need to.

JustKev
04-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Well said.

brdad
04-26-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks, Dan, for reminding everyone of that option as a thread originator.

And it is a good idea to pause before posting and consider how something might be taken by other members.

I'd much rather thread originators watch their own threads and posters police themselves. However, if you start a thread and really really want it to stay on topic please specify so and I will be more at ease of dealing with the off topic posts.

I also recommend if someone posts something you find offensive, feel free to report the post instead of retaliating by posting something that will escalate the issue.

I now refer everyone to the classic posting 101 video....

B9q2jNjOPdk

pm28570
04-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Unfortunately the thread was closed before I could give a thumbs up to Mainiac1957's post.

benandtina
04-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Agreed. I just got caught up on that post and am thoroughly impressed by the way it was handled!

brdad
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Please feel free to send any constructive criticism my way via PM as well regarding moderation. Looking over a few of the recent threads, it may have helped some if I replied to the involved parties via PM instead of in the thread, which also seemed to add fuel to the fire. I'd rather be called names in private than promote polluting the forum.

CARoperPhotography
04-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Apparently, dissension in the ranks here will not be tolerated. I really thought ( wrongly I guess ) that this was an open forum for people to discuss various topics concerning Geocaching. Why is everyone here so terrified of disagreement and a bit of a heated discussion? Are you all that accustomed to people laying down and taking it when they are confronted or attacked? That just isn't me, and many of my caching friends, some of whom do frequent this forum and some who don't can confirm that. Closing a thread is a weak response. If you truly think I am wrong in what I am saying, then confront me on it, instead of stifling discussion. Usually people will avoid or end a discussion when they know they themselves are wrong or have been proven to not know what the heck they are talking about. Embarrassing....

EMSDanel
04-26-2010, 10:05 PM
"Usually people will avoid or end a discussion when they know they themselves are wrong or have been proven to not know what the heck they are talking about. Embarrassing.... "

Oh really? I often find myself not choosing to respond to some of these posts because I find the writer to have a chip on his shoulder the size of a cinder block. Or sometimes the maturity of a 12 year old hiding in an adult's body. But I openly admit that I have no idea what prompted this thread to begin with so I'll politely bow out until I can figure out what happened by reading future posts. ;)

JustKev
04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
The thread was closed by my wife because it was way off topic and she didn't want to deal with it. She closed the thread. End of story.

rcwhit
04-27-2010, 04:43 AM
The thread was closed by my wife because it was way off topic and she didn't want to deal with it. She closed the thread. End of story.

If it's the end of the story, why are we still talking about it! :confused:
P.S. I for one think she did good in doing so, but don't tell her I said so. :rolleyes:

dubord207
04-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Trust me Chadd, I don't mind confrontation, in fact I am paid rather well to be confrontational when people's rights are being infringed. But the hallmark of a good argument is when you can be persuasive without getting personal. It's tough especially when the other side is intentionally trying to "get under your skin" but I've tried cases with some of the best in the business and never heard the word "moron" or anything close to that.

So it's fine for you engage others in discussions here, just try to keep the discussion about the topic and not about the people who choose to post here. If it gets personal, that's an appropriate time to close a thread, IMHO.

brdad
04-27-2010, 07:09 AM
I've been in a few forums where threads were closed immediately after the question was answered. In the case of a thread like the one we are in now where a statement was made, it would have closed at the first post. The most hard core was a site dedicated to Excel spreadsheets. Posting there was like being in the Soup Nazi kitchen - The thread title had to be very specific and the post had to be clear and proper grammar and spelling or it would get rejected. No post for you!

The funny part is, that site as well as this ours has their user agreement for members to follow. Before posting I read everything over, and agreed to abide by their terms. At that point I had the option of following their rules or going elsewhere. Making up my own rules or ignoring those posted was not an option.

I did my best to follow their rules, my question was approved and I got a quick and prompt answer, and I was off making a spreadsheet do something I was unsure was possible an hour earlier.

Now I would not want our site to be like that for a minute. While very effective, it was quite cold and not very personable at all. But we still have guidelines (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=agreement) to go by on this site. We all agreed to follow them when we joined. They are pretty basic overall - don't advertise for your business, don't post profanity/adult/illegal material, and be respectful.

JustKev
04-27-2010, 07:11 AM
When a person starts a thread and it gets hijacked, it's disappointing if what they were wanting to discuss doesn't come back around. When the conversation is not only off topic but confrontational as well, the owner of that thread is well within their rights to close it and it is not, in any way, a weak response. If anything, it's an incredibly firm response. There's a place heated discussions can take place.....and they do. Doesn't mean that someone who doesn't want one in their thread, especially off topic, deserves disrespect.

firefighterjake
04-27-2010, 07:36 AM
When a person starts a thread and it gets hijacked, it's disappointing if what they were wanting to discuss doesn't come back around. When the conversation is not only off topic but confrontational as well, the owner of that thread is well within their rights to close it and it is not, in any way, a weak response. If anything, it's an incredibly firm response. There's a place heated discussions can take place.....and they do. Doesn't mean that someone who doesn't want one in their thread, especially off topic, deserves disrespect.

HehHeh . . . not to hijack this thread about closing out threads . . . but since I never got to comment on the original thread. . . .

Corn nuts . . . Aaron's gal brings corn nuts . . . or at least she did the one time we went to Portland and I must admit even for a non-crunchy red neck hick like me they were pretty good . . . Hiram even did a scientific experiment with them (but we won't get into that here).

Of course the last time we all went out Aaron's gal pal "forgot" to bring snacks . . . of course no one told her she was in charge of snacks and if the truth be told we didn't really expect her to bring corn nuts or what have you . . . but it was giving her a hard time since she's such a nice person.

lexmano
04-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Nice to see that option used to close an out of hand "discussion." Very early on in my caching career and participation on this site, I learned to pause before hitting the "send" button, something others should try.

So do your fellow cachers a favor and "close a thread" that gets out of hand. The moderators should not have to be caught in the crossfire. We can self-police ourselves if we need to.

Dan, I considered asking you in jest to close this thread immediately after your first post. Perhaps I should have!

CARoperPhotography
04-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Dan, How did I make it personal? I was accused of being a drunk driver. I responded to THAT personal attack

Mapachi
04-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Dan, How did I make it personal? I was accused of being a drunk driver. I responded to THAT personal attack

Start another post. Don't hijack others posts because you gotta hair across your..WAAS!
I was ready to post some snack recipes, but the thread has been closed because of this foolishness!

And this isn't aimed at just you Chad. It's aimed at ALL you big babies and assorted pot stirrers and bee's nest pokers out there! You know who you are. I think many know how to get under Chad's skin and do it on purpose. Enough is enough.:mad:

There! Chew on me for a while! I can take it.:cool:

brdad
04-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Start another post.
I was ready to post some snack recipes, but the thread has been closed because of this foolishness!

Hollora has an article of geocacher's recipes. You can PM or email her the recipes and she will put it in the article!

Maine Geocachers Recipes (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4225)

dubord207
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey, I came to your defense quickly on that with my " it's not a crime to have a drink and drive" post. My comment relates to suggesting some of the members here are morons. That's the kind of comment that most would find disrespectful and therefore contrary to the spirit of the guidelines, and personally not helpful to the discussion. I had a couple "bouts" with some members here early on but with the exception of one noteworthy moment where the f-bomb came off my fingers before I could stop and the "enter" key was struck, I've managed my best to be polite. You obviously are a capable writer, enthusiastic and competive player and probably can play nice in the sandbox with the rest of the gang here if you're so inclined.

CARoperPhotography
04-27-2010, 03:26 PM
I did see you come to my defense early on and
as you know I appreciate it.

EvilHomer
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
This place is mild compared to some of the boards I have been on over the last ten years. My old saying was: " The day isn't complete until I get a death threat or two"

Some people can handle a BBoard and the random "morons" that inhabit them, and others cannot. If you are the type that cannot, then just don't respond. Stay out of it, you'll be better off. I have been on Boards for the better part of 12 years now. Some things will never change, you just have to deal with it. The same thing happens on every board, EVERY BOARD! Eventually as the topic grows in popularity, (snowmobiling, geocaching, Latvian Folk Dancing, whatever) you will get people who think they know everything, or they are the coolest, or they're SH*T DONT STINK, (whatever one you chose) migrating to the message boards. It is inevitable and unavoidable. HOW you deal with these cretins is up to each member. Some will chose civility, some barbarism, some Barbarellaism. :) The main thing to remember is if you don't like where the thread is going, DO NOT FOLLOW IT. Let the "MORONS" have at each other and find something more constructive to do. ;)

CARoperPhotography
04-27-2010, 06:24 PM
Evil Homer.... who are you calling a moron? ;-) And where can I find the forum on Latvian Folk Dancing ?

CARoperPhotography
04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Dan.... I just re-read the entire closed thread that we are all referring to and no where in it do I see where I suggested that some of the forum members are "morons" as you claim I did. I guess I just don't see where I am the instigator or guilty party here.

Mapachi
04-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Just remember guys; MORON spelled backwards is NOROM!

firefighterjake
04-28-2010, 07:09 AM
Yeah, Evil . . . where is the Latvian Folk Dancing Forum? I mean I'm currently on a sledding forum (uh, I think you remember that one well enough and I certainly will not speak the name of the One-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named here ;)), woodstove forum and a couple of ATV forums . . . but Latvian Folk Dancing . . . now we're talking.

Mapachi
04-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Yeah, Evil . . . where is the Latvian Folk Dancing Forum? I mean I'm currently on a sledding forum (uh, I think you remember that one well enough and I certainly will not speak the name of the One-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named here ;)), woodstove forum and a couple of ATV forums . . . but Latvian Folk Dancing . . . now we're talking.

Hey! Don't their clogs fly off and stuff? I saw a girl knocked out cold from a flying clog at a Latvian dance-a-thon, once!:eek::eek:

EvilHomer
04-28-2010, 05:47 PM
I like to sand my clogs! :)

dubord207
04-28-2010, 07:33 PM
I lived in Vienna Austria for a couple of years while in college. The Weiners did a lot of silly stuff including clog dancing. It was a little strange and most of the folks that did it were, well, big! Made for a loud clog I guess.

But then I went to Prague for the May Day demonstrations. Czech was communnist then and they had a cool parade of nukes going down the street with all the goose stepping army guys and cloggers at the end instead of firetrucks like we do here in Maine. The Czech gals were actually rather beautiful in their clog dresses but I found out that it wasn't a great idea to jump in and try to clog with them. This is another country I don't think I should return to as there are a few unpaid fines......:D

CARoperPhotography
04-28-2010, 07:34 PM
I'd like to "clog" some female Latvian Folk Dancers ;-)

Hiram357
04-28-2010, 08:42 PM
This thread is off topic. It's supposed to be about closing threads. Not clogs. I suggest we close this thread! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):p;):D

dubord207
04-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Not a chance! It's close enough to topic to suit me!:D

This thread is off topic. It's supposed to be about closing threads. Not clogs. I suggest we close this thread! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):p;):D

WhereRWe?
04-29-2010, 07:10 AM

Sheesh! Isn't "clogging" a thread pretty close to closing it? :confused::confused:

brdad
04-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Sheesh! Isn't "clogging" a thread pretty close to closing it? :confused::confused:

There is a difference. You don't have to be a moderator or opening poster to clog a thread up, Hiram proves that on a regular basis!

firefighterjake
04-29-2010, 07:56 AM
This thread is off topic. It's supposed to be about closing threads. Not clogs. I suggest we close this thread . . . or start talking about beer! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):p;):D

I fixed your thread for you buddy. ;):D

Mapachi
04-29-2010, 08:07 AM
I lived in Vienna Austria for a couple of years while in college. The Weiners did a lot of silly stuff including clog dancing. It was a little strange and most of the folks that did it were, well, big! Made for a loud clog I guess.

But then I went to Prague for the May Day demonstrations. Czech was communnist then and they had a cool parade of nukes going down the street with all the goose stepping army guys and cloggers at the end instead of firetrucks like we do here in Maine. The Czech gals were actually rather beautiful in their clog dresses but I found out that it wasn't a great idea to jump in and try to clog with them. This is another country I don't think I should return to as there are a few unpaid fines......:D

Just how many countries do you owe unpaid fines to?
Let's see.....Austria, The Czech Republic, Italy.....Any more European countries I've missed? What about the Caribbean? I know you've been there lately!

Hiram357
04-29-2010, 02:45 PM

There is a difference. You don't have to be a moderator or opening poster to clog a thread up, Hiram proves that on a regular basis!

I have not yet begun to clog!

*puts on wooden shoes and dusts off the accordion* :D:D:D

See, now it's off topic again, talking about clogging... :rolleyes:

CARoperPhotography
05-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Start another post. Don't hijack others posts because you gotta hair across your..WAAS!

And this isn't aimed at just you Chad. It's aimed at ALL you big babies and assorted pot stirrers and bee's nest pokers out there! You know who you are. I think many know how to get under Chad's skin and do it on purpose. Enough is enough.:mad:

There! Chew on me for a while! I can take it.:cool:

Speaking of which.... I found it laughable that I was selectively shunned by the small contingent of Northern cachers at last night's 10 Year Event last night... even the ones I have met before. I don't find that kind of attitude with the southern Maine cachers that I know.... by the time I was about to make it over to say hello to the Northern contingent (who are well spoken on these threads) they had all left to head back.... after 5 minutes at the event. Oh well....

Haffy
05-02-2010, 09:46 PM
And the feud continues>>>>>

Mainiac1957
05-03-2010, 05:29 AM
And the feud continues>>>>>

No John, as far as I am concerned, it's over.

brdad
05-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Like this thread, it's served it's purpose!

dubord207
05-03-2010, 06:45 AM
While I'm a firm believer in free speech, and while I believe in the "two Maine" theory, we're getting too far off topic and I'm shutting this down.

Thanks for all who contirbuted to the topic.

Like this thread, it's served it's purpose!