View Full Version : Bangor Daily

Ekidokai
04-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Just got off the phone with a local journalist. Took a cameraman out yesterday and was told the story should run in Saturdays paper. It should be about the anniversary and fun filled caching info.

Unfortunately she started out talking to Brdad so the story might have a horribly awkward atisamicroed slant to it. I tried my best to steer them in the right direction. I spent 2 hours with the cameraman showing him how to run his Nuvi for caching.

brdad
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Hmmm, I don't recall mentioning how pointless micros can appear to some cachers, especially when placed every 528 feet for 80 miles.... :)

It will be interesting to see the article!

brdad
05-01-2010, 07:46 AM
I think Khela did a great job on the article, but I may be biased! :p

http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/142386.html

russme08
05-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Excellent story/pics promoting geocaching in Maine. Find it at bangordailynews.com, Saturday, May 1, 2010 issue.

brdad
05-02-2010, 05:05 AM
I have moved this thread to General Geocaching discussion because some people are restricted to posting to the news area (not sure why), and could not reply.

Excellent story/pics promoting geocaching in Maine. Find it at bangordailynews.com, Saturday, May 1, 2010 issue.
Again, I may be biased, but yes, it was nice! Thanks!

dubord207
05-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Thanks for moving the thread, Dave. I did try to post last nite and could not.

Very fair, even and balanced article as a politician would say! Kudos to you and Mike once again for promoting the sport!:)

JustPJ66
05-02-2010, 06:40 AM
I posted it to my facebook pages to help explain to a few people what on earth it was that kevin and i kept going out to do on his days off. LOL

hollora
05-02-2010, 08:09 PM
A nice article overall. I did correct one of Mike's comments - on the thread below the article as there is no Mountainside extreme cache, 30' up in a tree in Orrington (that I know of - one coming out Mike?)! It's in Clifton.:o;):)

CARoperPhotography
05-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Hmmm, I don't recall mentioning how pointless micros can appear to some cachers, especially when placed every 528 feet for 80 miles.... :)

It will be interesting to see the article!

Funny thing .... last week I was running for an FTF (last Sunday) in Lebanon, ME along the Maine/NH border on Rt. 202 and on the way home I stopped for a quick film canister-in-the-guard rail park n grab.... and guess WHO was the last cacher to sign the log.... and EARLIER THAT DAY.....?

Brdad. Go figure.... I thought you didn't do micros like that.

WhereRWe?
05-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Funny thing .... last week I was running for an FTF (last Sunday) in Lebanon, ME along the Maine/NH border on Rt. 202 and on the way home I stopped for a quick film canister-in-the-guard rail park n grab.... and guess WHO was the last cacher to sign the log.... and EARLIER THAT DAY.....?

A month or so ago, I received an email from a journalist asking about knowledgeable cachers in the Bangor area. Brdad was the first name that came to my mind. I think the resulting article in the BDN was excellent. And I don't think this thread requires any pejorative remarks. Are you jealous? Do you think that your limited knowledge of geocaching is worthy of a newspaper article? :confused::confused:

brdad
05-02-2010, 09:53 PM

I do do them on occasion. I also have teeth pulled on occasion! :p

Micros do have their place. We do pass up a lot of the GRCs and LPCs, however. If I am going slow enough and it looks like a decent spot, I'll often stop; If I overshoot it by 50 feet I'll often keep on driving. This year we have to stick with more accessible caches. That particular cache we were coming home from NH and were early to get to the quilt store in Sanford so we decided to grab a few caches. We needed to stretch our legs, the cache was there, the swampy area across the road looked semi-interesting, so we did it. I think we did 4 in the area. We did, however, intentionally bypass what seemed like a million SW caches, however! - Not because they were yours, but because I didn't want to weed through them to find 2 or 3 that we'd want most to do. I realized after the fact we did do one of your caches that day, I had seen what I thought was the cache location in Google Street view and stopped just to see if I was correct, and I was! Our favorite that morning was Great Works River Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8cf64ce2-dd95-482e-8ea0-5a3311eabee9) (GC6EB2) by Mapfreak1 (Adopted By MSCREP) (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=246720) (1.5/1.5).

Waterski
05-02-2010, 10:02 PM
It was a nice POSITIVE article regarding geocaching ....thanks to all that contributed to that article. Good job.

CARoperPhotography
05-04-2010, 04:53 PM
A month or so ago, I received an email from a journalist asking about knowledgeable cachers in the Bangor area. Brdad was the first name that came to my mind. I think the resulting article in the BDN was excellent. And I don't think this thread requires any pejorative remarks. Are you jealous? Do you think that your limited knowledge of geocaching is worthy of a newspaper article? :confused::confused:

No. I am not jealous. I merely was looking for a way to broach this tidbit of finding Brdad's log for a micro and teasing him about it. And what are you trying to say about my "limited knowledge" of Geocaching? Please, lay it on me..... and I promise to respond in kind.....

CARoperPhotography
05-04-2010, 04:58 PM

What is there really TO know about Geocaching? When it comes down to it, it's pretty simple. It's probably knowledge of GPS units and GSAK which people are lacking in.

Ekidokai
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm just surprised she could get any footage or usable comments out of all the commotion between us.

I did win though, well up until Msteelee hit me with that giant fly swatter.

Ekidokai
05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Yes I was corrected a couple of times. I was fuming at the time, short on time as this was between events and just wanted to shake a tree befor the top of my head would explode.

I don't ever get shook up.

masterson of the universe
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
What is there really TO know about Geocaching? When it comes down to it, it's pretty simple. It's probably knowledge of GPS units and GSAK which people are lacking in.

There is the knowledge of how to become and whats included in the Platinum membership and above....