View Full Version : What do you cache with now

Mainiac1957
04-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Post in my poll as to what brand of GPSr that you are currntly using to geocache. I know many as do I use one to get there such as a Nuvi or TomTom and then a handheld to find the cache. This poll is for the handheld only. Feel free to tell what model you have in your reply. I am sorry if your particular make is lumped under other, but I wanted to keep it simple.

Hiram357
04-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Post in my poll as to what brand of GPSr that you are currntly using to geocache. I know many as do I use one to get there such as a Nuvi or TomTom and then a handheld to find the cache. This poll is for the handheld only. Feel free to tell what model you have in your reply. I am sorry if your particular make is lumped under other, but I wanted to keep it simple.

I love my Oregon. What kind of GPS do you use now Brad....? ;);)

JustKev
04-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Currently I use a Magellan Triton 400. Seems to work equally as well as my wife's Garmin Venture HC except it takes forever to boot up and then forever more to acquire the satellites. Then, in the car, it loses the satellite fix and then regains it periodically. Just picked up a Garmin Nuvi 1300 for use in the vehicle on the way to the cache location but have yet to use it, it's that new.

brdad
04-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Still using my 10 year old 'Ol Yeller. Someday I will upgrade, but this works and I can't say as I have ever not found a cache because it wasn't good enough. Most of my DNFs were because I was not good enough! A few more bells and whistles would be nice, however, like having the cache information on the GPS.

There is a 99% chance I would stick with Garmin next time.

JustKev
04-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Still using my 10 year old 'Ol Yeller. Someday I will upgrade, but this works and I can't say as I have ever not found a cache because it wasn't good enough. Most of my DNFs were because I was not good enough! A few more bells and whistles would be nice, however, like having the cache information on the GPS.

There is a 99% chance I would stick with Garmin next time.

There's a 100% chance I'm going to upgrade to a Garmin. I want to keep the ability to see more cache information that I can see now with my Triton 400 so I'll be looking at the Oregons and Colorados.

JustPJ66
04-29-2010, 07:33 AM
ya as soon as he gets rich ......which cache has the winning lottery ticket again??

firefighterjake
04-29-2010, 07:53 AM
My two Magellans work fine for now and for what I want them to do . . . but I must admit I do like Hiram's shiny new Oregon.

pm28570
04-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Glad to see this topic re-visited, in poll form. Thanks, Brad. I am using, still, a compass and topographic map for the area I will cache in......:rolleyes:

Actually, I am using a Garmin GPSMap 60, without complaint. On occasion, it seems to "jump" around a little, however this is easily overcome by geo-experience. It's accuracy seems good, really good at times. I do wish it held more caches, however for my style of caching, it's fine.

In conjunction with the Garmin, I use Cacheberry on my BlackBerry for paperless caching....I really enjoy Cacheberry.....caches are easy to load individually or by GSAK. In addition, I can access GC.com as well.

I have tried smart phone caching, however, I did not like it at all and doubt I would pursue this further. And, like most others, using a Garmin Nuvi as well to get into the area. All in all, I'm happy with what I'm using but with that said, I'm ready to go up to an Oregon, mostly for the ability to hold a larger number of caches and the fact that it's paperless.

Mapachi
04-29-2010, 07:59 AM
I love my Garmin e-Trex Vista HCX. The Oregon's only feature I'm interested in is having the cache desription on the unit. I solve that problem by bringing my Nuvi with me in my pocket.

JustKev
04-29-2010, 08:34 AM
I love my Garmin e-Trex Vista HCX. The Oregon's only feature I'm interested in is having the cache desription on the unit. I solve that problem by bringing my Nuvi with me in my pocket.

Is there a link that has a macro for the Nuvi 1300? The link Ekodoki posted doesn't seem to address the 1300 - the pulldown menu lists 2xx, 3xx, 4xx and so on but never touches on the 1300. I've managed to figure out how to load caches as POI's but they don't have all the information about the cache.

NativeMainer
04-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I recently started using the PN-40 after having Old Yeller for the past several years. I only upgraded because the old Garmin was starting to have issues. I'm finding the PN-40 is a pretty good model, and it's got a few extra bells and whistles that the previous unit doesn't have. I was deciding between a PN-40 and a 60CSX, and I went with the DeLorme unit mostly because it was on sale.

brdad
04-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Number of members with the following terms in the GPSr section of their profile:

Lowrance - 3
Delorme - 17
Garmin - 264
Magellan - 41

Etrex - 88
Nuvi - 13
Phone - 1
Oregon - 8
GPSMap - 38
Pn- - 25
CSX - 66

WhereRWe?
04-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Number of members with the following terms in the GPSr section of their profile:

Lowrance - 3
Delorme - 17
Garmin - 264
Magellan - 41

Etrex - 88
Nuvi - 13
Phone - 1
Oregon - 8
GPSMap - 38
Pn- - 25
CSX - 66

I'd suggest that GPSMap and CSX are probably the same model. :D:D

tat
04-29-2010, 12:16 PM
GPSIII+
GPS76C
Oregon 300
iPhone

I'm just as happy using a map and compass or my legs and the sun :)

HappyTogether
04-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Still have my Magellan Explorist 200 as a backup. Loved the unit for ease of use, but I got tired of entering the cache waypoints individually (no USB).

Currently using a Delorme PN-40 for almost a year now. So far I have been happy with the performance.

EMSDanel
04-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Garmin map 60CSx and a compass

CARoperPhotography
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Delorme PN-40
Garmin GPS 48
iPhone
Nuvi 1300
Netbook using Street Atlas and TOPO 8.0 coupled to a Delorme LT-40 mounted on a RAM laptop mount in the Jeep

Ekidokai
04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm kind of an oddball I use a Magellan and a Garmin.

brdad
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
I'd suggest that GPSMap and CSX are probably the same model. :D:D

Yes, but only 11 members list GPSmap AND CSX together in their gps section...

benandtina
04-29-2010, 02:39 PM
We use none of the above :) We don't have a handheld.

We use a Garmin Nuvi to get us to the cache and then switch it to Pedestrian/Off Road mode to find the cache. It seems to work well for us.

We needed a second GSPr for our move (since we're driving separately) so we bought another Nuvi. That depleted our GPSr budget... so it will be a while before we graduate to having a handheld! Oh well.

Hiram357
04-29-2010, 02:43 PM
My two Magellans work fine for now and for what I want them to do . . . but I must admit I do like Hiram's shiny new Oregon.

Do you even still use those? You never seem to bring a GPS when we go caching... :rolleyes::p

firefighterjake
04-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Do you even still use those? You never seem to bring a GPS when we go caching... :rolleyes::p

I've found a few caches with them . . . mostly with my Explorist 210. I tend to use the older Meridian while ATVing.

Since I have to input the data manually (there is a way around it, but it's typical Magellan -- awkward to do and set up) when I go out with you guys I figure why waste the batteries when we typically have 1 Tom Tom and 2-3 Garmins . . . besides my sad-looking Magellan is so tired looking that I cannot stand to have it in the same vehicle as your almighty (and purty looking) Garmin Oregon. ;):D

Rest assured though . . . I always have the Magellan with me . . . should we feel the need to boomerang past the cache or wander around aimlessly in the woods for a while. ;):D

farmer and wife and "G"
04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
OK, here's my first post. I have been quietly lurking in the background for a couple of months and now it is time to leap out. Wife carries the old Garmin Etrex Legend and I carry the new Dakota 20. Sure wish I could figure out how to get the cache info from our Nuvvi. Sometimes that's all we have with us and a cache pops up on it but no info. Maybe I will figure it out someday.

brdad
04-29-2010, 04:29 PM
OK, here's my first post. I have been quietly lurking in the background for a couple of months and now it is time to leap out. Wife carries the old Garmin Etrex Legend and I carry the new Dakota 20. Sure wish I could figure out how to get the cache info from our Nuvvi. Sometimes that's all we have with us and a cache pops up on it but no info. Maybe I will figure it out someday.

It's a bit of work to get started, but if you use GSAK you can use the instructions on this site (http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html) to get ll your information into most nuvis. A search of these forums for "nuvi' might give some added ideas. Feel free to post to those threads or start a new one with any other questions you may have regarding the nuvi. And welcome to the site, thanks for posting!

farmer and wife and "G"
04-29-2010, 04:40 PM
We appreciate the welcome and the link. Looks like a lot of interesting info, Thank you.

CARoperPhotography
04-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Your Garmin Dakota 20 is paperless caching.... so you could get the info off of that unit...

JustKev
04-29-2010, 07:22 PM
It's a bit of work to get started, but if you use GSAK you can use the instructions on this site (http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/index.html) to get ll your information into most nuvis. A search of these forums for "nuvi' might give some added ideas. Feel free to post to those threads or start a new one with any other questions you may have regarding the nuvi. And welcome to the site, thanks for posting!

Here's my question....I have the Nuvi 1300 and here's what the link has pertaining to GPS's:

"A Garmin Nuvi 2xx/3xx/5xx/6xx/7xx/8xx or Garmin Colorado or Garmin Oregon"

There's a step in setting this up for use with GSAK that asks what GPS you're using and the 13XX is not listed. What's the workaround for that? Anyone have any idea?

farmer and wife and "G"
04-29-2010, 07:34 PM
The Dakota 20 is great but we don't always have it when we are going to an appointment or such and the occasional cache pops up. We don't usually try it with the Nuvi when we don't have any details.

CARoperPhotography
04-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Easiest way to solve that is to carry the Dakota with you in the vehicle at all times ;-)

farmer and wife and "G"
04-29-2010, 08:03 PM
When you're right you're right.:) Sounds like I need to get my priorities straight.:D

dubord207
04-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Di and I use a pair of Oregon 400t's for our basic caching. I still prefer the Garmin 60csx for placing new caches. I get a lot of positive feedback about the coords when I use that and it's averaging feature.

We still use the Vista hcx to help get us to caches or to make sure we don't drive right by a cache. Nice unit, never fails and uses a lot less battery then the Oregon's.

And we each have Nuvi 350's to get us to caches....when they don't decide a wild goose chase is in order. Sounds like overkill, but I no longer look at a gps while driving which even for a good driver is just asking for a head-on!

So we're a member of the Garmin family for sure!:D

JFamilySebec
05-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Another lurker here. I used a Nuvi 200 for my first 100 or so caches and then just recently bought an eTrex Venture which I love. The Nuvi sends me in circles, tells me to turn when there's no turn etc, and frustrates me to no end sometimes LOL! But it usually gets me to the area, then the eTrex takes over.

Ekidokai
05-14-2010, 09:25 PM
You have the exact setup I have. Just keep in mind that the Nuvi is telling you where to go and not so much how to get there. I found mine was much better after I upgraded the maps.

When it tells you to turn take a quick look at the screen and you can figure out which street to turn onto.

You have a very good combination. Congratulations.

JFamilySebec
05-20-2010, 10:26 PM
It's not so much which street to take, it's when it tells me to turn right - when the only thing on my right is an open field. Maybe I'll update the maps and see what that does. Seems like there are a lot of little roads that aren't on this thing....

KJcachers
05-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Started on a Magellan Explorist 210. Upgraded to a DeLorme PN-20 when they came out and loved it so much we bought a PN-40 when it was released. Now trying to talk the wife into the PN-60 "upgrade" but she isn't biting yet.

dufzor
06-01-2010, 01:01 AM
PN40 is main unit. Trying to learn the Garmin 60csx, but I keep going back to the PN40 which has more info...unless I just don't know where the info is on the Garmin yet!:D

Mainiac1957
06-01-2010, 05:52 AM
No, you're right. There is no cache info on that model Garmin. That's why I personally went to the Oregon. I chose the Oregon 450 over the Delorme PN-40 mostly because I have always used Garmins. I was all most ready to switch to a PN, but there just seemed to be too much negative at the time. Those who love them really do, and those that don't, really don't. Even though we don't have many Wherigo caches here in Maine I still wanted that feature as well. Something you can't do with the PN. I am very happy with this new GPS. I small learning curve in the beginning, but now it is second nature.

LaughingTerry
06-01-2010, 06:25 AM
I tried to cache with my Nuvi when I first got it. It would not tell me how close I was to the cache. It would take me back out to the street to a corner. I changed the setting to pedestrian and it still wouldn't do it. The only way it would get me close to a cache is if it was on the edge of the road. I was trying to find one in a parking lot and it never got me closer than 180 ft. Turn left, turn right turn left turn right,