View Full Version : RE: Nanos

firefighterjake
04-29-2010, 03:48 PM
I know, I know, I know . . . I'm not a big fan of these, but sometimes they work well in the right environment.

So I have two questions . . . folks that have used these before . . . where did you get them?

Second question . . . what exactly are these containers originally used for . . . I mean I would find it shocking to find out that they are only used by geocaching.

brdad
04-29-2010, 04:36 PM
This will shock some people, but like micros, nanos have their place. It's just not EVERY place!!!!!!!!!!

The containers originally were for a blinky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinky_%28novelty%29), a flashing light that would stick to metal buttons on clothing etc...

I know you can get them online, and you may call Sudonim at his business and see if he has any in his geocaching section.

dubord207
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
I've found the ones from DeLorme are as good as any. The ones with external magnets are junk and won't last a Maine winter.

Nanos are used by urologists as a post vasectomy test kit to make sure the surgery "took.":D

Ekidokai
04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
I hate nanos!

CARoperPhotography
04-29-2010, 06:41 PM
I bought mine for cheap on eBay. Just search "nano geocache" on eBay and you can find a good deal. Geocaching.com is a rip off for ANY type of cache container so don't buy from them....

.... Dan I didn't know that Delorme sells nanos??? I do know they have bison tubes at their map store in Yarmouth, but maybe you are confusing bison tubes which are micros (nanos are micros too but bison tubes are not nanos) for a true nano.... then again, weren't you the guy who claimed that a maganetic key holder was a small ? ;-)

Hiram357
04-29-2010, 07:00 PM
I bought mine for cheap on eBay. Just search "nano geocache" on eBay and you can find a good deal. Geocaching.com is a rip off for ANY type of cache container so don't buy from them....

.... Dan I didn't know that Delorme sells nanos??? I do know they have bison tubes at their map store in Yarmouth, but maybe you are confusing bison tubes which are micros (nanos are micros too but bison tubes are not nanos) for a true nano.... then again, weren't you the guy who claimed that a maganetic key holder was a small ? ;-)

you know how it goes. Two guys standing in a river, one guys says the water is deep, the other guy says the water is cold.... :rolleyes:;):D:D:D

dubord207
04-29-2010, 08:01 PM
They now have nanos as well. I just bought a few last weekend.

And you're right, I used to call key holders "small" but now know they're micros. I'm still not a huge fan but sometimes nanos are the only caches that can be placed in a scenic spot.

CARoperPhotography
04-29-2010, 08:30 PM
What are their prices like for nanos?

Hikenfish
04-29-2010, 10:56 PM
The nanos are like 9 bucks each at delorme. A bit pricy.

dubord207
04-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Yeah, I think they were a bit on the pricey side but I like to shop at places that support my hobbies and DeLorme is one of them. Any of you that attended the MGA Rally last year know how much DeLorme contributed to that super event.

What are their prices like for nanos?

LaughingTerry
04-30-2010, 07:05 PM
LOL, I used to buy the blinkies by the case. 35 cents each in a case of 100 dozen or so. I had a bunch left over so I painted them black, put them in little zip lock bags, and was dropping them in caches.

firefighterjake
05-03-2010, 08:39 AM
LOL, I used to buy the blinkies by the case. 35 cents each in a case of 100 dozen or so. I had a bunch left over so I painted them black, put them in little zip lock bags, and was dropping them in caches.

OK, so now all I have to do is start searching Laughing Terry's caches for blinkies . . . that should go over well when the police come across me and I tell them that I'm looking for blinkies at a boat landing. They'll blue paper me for sure.

On the flip side . . . thank you to Hollora who is lending me a nano until I can get one of my own.

Ekidokai
05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Nano's are bad.

firefighterjake
05-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Nano's are bad.

Not always . . . just nanos in the woods . . . there is a time and place for nanos . . . and in this case I needed a nano.

EMSDanel
05-05-2010, 07:27 AM
$9 for a nano??? Oh my, that is, indeed, VERY pricey......

JustPJ66
05-05-2010, 07:36 AM
http://www.cacheboxstore.com/microcache/Nano/nanocache.html under $3.00 here if this helps

firefighterjake
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
All set . . . I've got 5 for less than $8 (includes shipping) . . . one of which will go back to Hollora who loaned me one.

firefighterjake
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
All set . . . I've got 5 for less than $8 (includes shipping) . . . one of which will go back to Hollora who loaned me one.

Maybe I'll have Andy sell the rest at his geocache store since he seemed to have no micros or nanos in stock. ;):D

brdad
05-05-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm tempted to start trading ammo boxes for nanos, if it will get the nanos off the street! :):)

Actually, everyone will be shocked hearing this from me, I think micros are much more misused than nanos. :rolleyes:

Ekidokai
05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
The only time and place for nanos

1. The time, just after one is placed is when you stuff the hiders body into it.

2. The place, at the bottom of the lake.

brdad
05-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Tomorrow I am heading out to Halfmile to set up a special version of the cache just for Ekidokai. I just got a shipment of a gross of nanos with which I will be placing every 50 feet apart from the parking to the cache.

:p:p:p:p:p:p

hollora
05-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Tomorrow I am heading out to Halfmile to set up a special version of the cache just for Ekidokai. I just got a shipment of a gross of nanos with which I will be placing every 50 feet apart from the parking to the cache.

ROTFLMAO - you are tooooo funny! Are they camo or black?

Ekidokai
05-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Aaaarrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

LaughingTerry
05-06-2010, 06:22 AM
I just found 14 in a bag I had forgotten about. I will be putting them in some of my new caches.(coming soon)

brdad
05-06-2010, 07:26 AM
ROTFLMAO - you are tooooo funny! Are they camo or black?

They are all varied. One is inside a 4 inch long stick on the beaver dam. Don't tell Mike, it's the 285th stick from the south end...

hollora
05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Your secret is safe...................

WhereRWe?
05-06-2010, 04:52 PM
They are all varied. One is inside a 4 inch long stick on the beaver dam. Don't tell Mike, it's the 285th stick from the south end...

And you just happen to have left the bark on the stick to make sure the next beaver passing by will take it, right? :D:D

EvilHomer
05-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Awesome, I needed to replenish my supply! :)

Hiram357
05-09-2010, 09:10 PM
The only time and place for nanos

1. The time, just after one is placed is when you stuff the hiders body into it.

2. The place, at the bottom of the lake.

hmmmm nano at the bottom of a lake... that sounds like a challenge....:D:D:D