View Full Version : 1000 cache PQs are here

brdad
04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
But there are some details to consider before jumping in:

* If you change nothing about the way you use PQs you will not be affected by this change
* PQs requesting between 501-1000 caches will be available as a file download only, although we will still notify you by email when it is ready
* PQs with less than 501 caches will be emailed as attachments and available as a file download
* PQs will remain available for download a maximum of 7 days from the date it was generated
* My Finds PQs are no longer sent as email attachments, but will be available as a file download

Release Notes 4/29/10, Geocaching.com Website Update (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=248233&hl=)

CARoperPhotography
04-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Yup I noticed that Geocaching.com was down for some time in the last few hours... I was hoping that they were making the needed updates! Also see that the 10 years events now have special icons!

CARoperPhotography
04-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Just tried to download a newly generated PQ as directed from Groundspeak and it isn't working.... getting the old

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

benandtina
04-30-2010, 09:13 AM
LOL, I should have been more patient. I JUST finished setting up my PQs for our roadtrip to Florida.

For local caches I think I'll stick with under 500. I like being e-mailed the results weekend and using GSAK's "Get from e-mail" feature to download them. But, for planning trips away from home these bigger PQs will be pretty nice.

However, I am going to need to rethink how I get my local caches. I tried setting up PQs to get all caches within 100 miles of our apartment in Orlando... and around 2007 it started taking only 3 months for 500 caches to be hidden in that region, LOL. I'll probably have to use these big PQs just to keep myself from running out!

dubord207
04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
I did a PQ that resulted in 866 caches. It went quickly to my gmail account but there's nothing there for me to download. It sends me back to the PQ page at GC.com. What do I do next to download it into my cache folder and then transfer it at GSAK?

But there are some details to consider before jumping in:

* If you change nothing about the way you use PQs you will not be affected by this change
* PQs requesting between 501-1000 caches will be available as a file download only, although we will still notify you by email when it is ready
* PQs with less than 501 caches will be emailed as attachments and available as a file download
* PQs will remain available for download a maximum of 7 days from the date it was generated
* My Finds PQs are no longer sent as email attachments, but will be available as a file download

Release Notes 4/29/10, Geocaching.com Website Update (http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=248233&hl=)

benandtina
04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
I think you can click on the "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" tab and download the files that are in the list.

cano
04-30-2010, 10:22 AM
You have to be logged in in order to download the file. This will complicate automatic downloads of PQs. Lame. How typical for groundspeak. Will they ever do something right?

brdad
04-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Correct, the email only tells you your file is available.

I don't like this setup anymore than the next guy, but I will take it over nothing. While I don't fully understand why, I would not say they are doing it wrong. I am guessing they are taking precautions from abuse. It is hard for them to predict how we will use this new feature.

Clyde from GSAK is already (and was before this came active actually) discussing with gc.com ways to (within the terms of use) download your PQs directly from the GC server. If that happens, GSAK will be able to load the PQs directly from the site and the getmail function will not be needed.

cano
04-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Is it such a big problem to send URL to download the file in the email? They can also limit one download without being logged in. This should prevent sharing you data file with million other people while giving you easy access to your file. It takes 5 minutes for retarded kid to implement this changes. Let's see how long it takes for Groundspeak.

cano
04-30-2010, 03:47 PM
And this is how my "1000" cache PQ of caches near Bangor in Maine looks like. LOL.

benandtina
04-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Hehe, just stick with 500 cache PQs until everything gets settled! They ADDED a feature... the 500 cache e-mailed PQs we all know and love are still there. :)

Ekidokai
04-30-2010, 04:25 PM
I just revised my PQ's. I like this new system. Went nice and smooth. I think it is a good improvement. Glad they took my advice.

I'll be updating my article soon.

brdad
04-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Several people have had problems with the Google Maps preview, but it seems the caches in the PQ are correct, and are the full 1000.

Mainiac1957
04-30-2010, 05:41 PM
I changed my 7 500 cache Maine PQ's to 4 1000 cache PQ's yesterday. They all came in today and are all loaded in GSAK ready to go out and hunt for some with the new GPS.;)

shuman road searchers
04-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Just tried to download a newly generated PQ as directed from Groundspeak and it isn't working.... getting the old

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I had the same message and what I found was that I had exceeded my 5 pq daily limit. I changed the day and all went well.
I just changed all of my Maine and New Hampshire pq's and all went well. Nice to be back at 10 pq's and not 21!

Ekidokai
05-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Wow those numbers keep throwing me a little. I'll get use to it.