View Full Version : RE: Searching for caches using the attributes

firefighterjake
05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Is it possible using either the data at gc.com or with GSAK to do a search that looks for caches with specific attributes? For example, say I wanted to find all caches in Aroostook County that were accessible by ATVs . . . is this possible to find out?

brdad
05-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Yes, the current version of GSAK does that easily. The attribute part is a simple filter. The county is small bit of setup but then it is automatic. There are attributes for off road vehicles and quads.

Of the 244 active caches in the county, 42 have the quad attribute set, 21 have the off road vehicle attribute set, and 17 have both of those attributes set.

If you need any help setting up the county, let me know and I will post instructions.

WhereRWe?
05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Yes - using GSAK/search/filter/attributes.

But people are notoriously sloppy about adding attributes to their cache listings. LOL! :D:D

brdad
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Yes - using GSAK/search/filter/attributes.

But people are notoriously sloppy about adding attributes to their cache listings. LOL! :D:D

That is true, but if the person that places the cache has an interest in the attribute's subject, it's more likely they will use the attribute.

In other words, if an avid ATV'er places a cache on a shared trail, there is a good chance he will set the ATV attribute but ignore the bicycle attribute!

I think many of the County ATV caches were placed by ATVers. I think it's a law you have to have an ATV to live up there anyway, isn't it? :p

pm28570
05-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Need to add this one to the pet peeve thread. Wouldn't mind if GC.com made it a mandatory piece of information.

firefighterjake
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Ok Brad . . . let's just pretend for a minute that I'm a complete idiot who lives in Unity, Maine and take me through the steps. I'm looking for caches that are ATV accessible or very close to an ATV trail . . . I realize there probably is no way to determine if a cache is close to a trail, but I figure just screening out the attributes for ATV accessible caches in the County should work.

brdad
05-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Ok Brad . . . let's just pretend for a minute that I'm a complete idiot who lives in Unity, Maine and take me through the steps. I'm looking for caches that are ATV accessible or very close to an ATV trail . . . I realize there probably is no way to determine if a cache is close to a trail, but I figure just screening out the attributes for ATV accessible caches in the County should work.

Oooh ooh, even better idea... is there an ATV trail map online... hmmmm

brdad
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
If we can find track files of the ATV trails, it would be super easy to find caches within x number of feet from them. I found some maps, but the resolution is not accurate enough.

You must have a newer version of GSAK to do this, I think at least version 7...

So.... to update the county, load a GPX file into your database and change the settings on the county section of the import screen to YB as shown in the pic. The YB is from the following codes you could use:

U = update user data
2 = update user data 2
Y = update county
B = only update if blank
F = set user flag, but only if updated
R = set user flag regardless

So YB just tells GSAK to update the county column (Y) only if blank (B). You will have to uncheck the Use Defaults box to enter the YB.

You should be able to load one GPX file in your database (even if it's one you already loaded), and it should update every cache in your database with the county data.

That's step one!

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/515/county_update.JPG

brdad
05-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Settigng the attribute filter is like setting any other filter. From the Search ... Filter menu, click the Other tab in GSAK. Enter Aroostook in the county box. Spelling counts here! :)

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/515/set_county_filter.JPG

Then click on the Attribute tab and check the quads check box.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/515/set_attribute_filter.JPG

You may want to set other filters (not found, available, etc.), but that does the trick. Just click Go and you should get the list of caches you want!

firefighterjake
05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Oooh ooh, even better idea... is there an ATV trail map online... hmmmm

There's this map . . . but I'm not sure if this would help you much.

http://www.nmdc.org/ATVMap/ATV_Map_Web.pdf

firefighterjake
05-04-2010, 03:21 PM
OK, so once I do this and get the info . . . how do I go back to the original GSAK version . . . I mean I don't want to change all the data so all I have is information on ATV accessible caches in Aroostook County.

brdad
05-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Just go back to the Search menu and click Cancel Filter.

You can also go back to the filter screen and make adjustments, like filtering out the puzzle caches or other criteria.

If we could find a track file of the area it would be great. I found a few snowmobile trail track files, but none for ATV, and it's hard to tell which ones are used by both. I can superimpose caches onto the ATV map you posted, but the resolution will not really show if the cache is on the trail or a mile from it.

brdad
05-04-2010, 03:33 PM
You can also save filters. For example, you set your filter up with the following criteria:

You have not found
That are available
Aroostook County
Quad attribute set

Then click the save button on the filter screen and give it a memorable name like "Aroostook ATV caches".

Any time you want to check for county ATV caches, just select that saved filter and it will list them for you instantly.

JustPJ66
05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
I am glad I make Kevin do all that stuff for us...it is complicated by the look of it!!

Ekidokai
05-04-2010, 05:43 PM
If I can do it anyone can. Wait, that sounds familiar.

rcwhit
05-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I am glad I make Kevin do all that stuff for us...it is complicated by the look of it!!

It's NOT complicated!
Having Kev do it just makes it seem that way! :D

pjpreb
05-05-2010, 06:25 PM

I'm with you. My job is to sit in the passenger seat and remind Preb when he is following too close to the vehicle in front of us. :D:eek::eek::eek:

WhereRWe?
05-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm with you. My job is to sit in the passenger seat and remind Preb when he is following too close to the vehicle in front of us. :D:eek::eek::eek:

Sheesh! You've been taking geocaching lessons from RULost2?! :D:D

pjpreb
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Sheesh! You've been taking geocaching lessons from RULost2?! :D:D

If I tell you I'd have to kill you. It's "the code" ya know :p;)

brdad
05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I think this is the first time 2 women have ganged up to hijack a thread!

JustPJ66
05-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Here and I thought we made it intresting!!!