View Full Version : Which way do I go?

Haffy
05-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Ok here is the scoop. I am in the market for a new GPS. Just last week I was gifted a new Etrex "H" from my caching friends down here because they felt sorry for me whenever I went caching with them and I had to keep hitting my GPS to get it to work right...LOL, it was the original Vista since I started caching back in "03". It was my going away present from them. What great friends I have made down here all because of geocaching, just like all my friends I made while in Maine. Anyway the "H" I will be using as a backup til I decide what GPS I want. What I am asking is what do you all have for a GPS and I want to be completely paperless as possible. I have heard some comments about the Delorme and Garmins and just wanted some input from all my friends up there in Maine as to what you think. I know LT has the 550t and Brad has the 450t and some of you have the Delorme PN 40. I am so confused and am hoping some of you can lean me towards one or the other unit. Thanks Haffy.

PS I will be offline after this Friday as I will be making my move to Gainesville GA and don't know when I will be able to get online once again until I get settled into my new apartment on lake Lanier.

Haffy
05-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Oh yeah and I also hid my 1st SC cache as well after some prodding from my SC caching friends as well.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=955bb9bc-c1da-4584-89e5-7ecdda67d4ae

brdad
05-11-2010, 02:26 PM
I remember the first cache you found with that Vista!

We are considering the Oregon 450 like Brad has after Lee got to play with his last weekend. It is less than $300 after rebate at this link:
http://www.gpsonsale.com/garmin/products/Oregon450.htm.
Hollora bought one from this link.

I don't know as we need them but Lee's screen is glitchy like yours and my 'ol yeller has a line that never goes away, and it only holds 500 waypoints.

fins2right
05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I owned a Delorme PN-20 and PN-40. We now use Oregon 400t's. It's completely paperless, easy to use and we love it. It does eat batteries though, the Delorme's were a little better in that catagory.

Haffy
05-11-2010, 02:35 PM
I remember the first cache you found with that Legend!

We are considering the Oregon 450 like Brad has after Lee got to play with his last weekend. It is less than $300 after rebate at this link:
http://www.gpsonsale.com/garmin/products/Oregon450.htm.
Hollora bought one from this link.

I don't know as we need them but Lee's screen is glitchy like yours and my 'ol yeller has a line that never goes away, and it only holds 500 waypoints.

That would be the Vista and not the Legend, just for your info....LOL

Waterski
05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I am now using the Oregon 400t. I would urge you to try it as I have myself only shown it to one person but they bought one within two days.
The paperless feature is great. I am no techinical whiz but am very happy with it so far.

brdad
05-11-2010, 02:39 PM
That would be the Vista and not the Legend, just for your info....LOL

I edited my post before you were done posting, I was thinking of Lee's Legend while I was typing! Anyway, I remember you fumbling with it!

cano
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I go my way :)
http://www.igomyway.com/

rcwhit
05-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I am now using the Oregon 400t. I would urge you to try it as I have myself only shown it to one person but they bought one within two days.

Yes we did get one only after 2 days! It's a nice machine and we like it, but we don't know if there is anything better or not. Got it for $300. on ebay.

pm28570
05-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Moving to an Oregon 400T or better, in time.

Mainiac1957
05-11-2010, 06:47 PM
I have the 450 (not the T) Holds 5000 caches. Does Wherigo's. Paperless. Great screen. Very happy with it.

WhereRWe?
05-11-2010, 07:01 PM
I have the 450 (not the T) Holds 5000 caches. Does Wherigo's. Paperless. Great screen. Very happy with it.

Sheesh! Do I need a new GPSr? I can get the 450t on eBay for $434 - free shipping, too...

Sheesh! I start getting Social Security in August, and I've already got that spent for the first 6 months...

And RULost2? is talking about a trip to Italy...

Decisions, decisions... :confused::confused:

Trick or Treat
05-11-2010, 07:33 PM
400t here. My caching buddy and I will trade some times and I'll use his PN40. I like it, but think the Garmin is a lot more intuitive to use.

cachecrashers4
05-11-2010, 07:42 PM
I have the Oregon 400t and am very happy with it. I couldn't imagine going back to paper caching. If I were going to buy today, I would go with the 450t. 5000 caches plus the 3-axis electronic compass.

iampaw
05-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I had been using the PN40 but it just is dependable. I now have the Oregon 450T. That being said there are features on the pn that I like better than the garmin and vice versa.

iampaw
05-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I just read my post. I meant to say the PN isn't always dependable, it freezes alot or it won't turn on, just little things...

TeamHorwich
05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
wait for the new pn60..some very nice features...http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/06/delorme-and-spot-handheld-gps-meets-satellite-communication/#more-674

firefighterjake
05-12-2010, 08:01 AM
HehHeh . . . what Haffy . . . no thoughts about buying a Magellan? ;)

HehHeh . . . my old Magellans are still working fine . . . but I have to tell you after seeing Hiram's Oregon in action I think it's safe to say that if and when I get a new GPSr some day it will be a Garmin Oregon (which one . . . I'm not so sure) . . . it's very simple to use . . . so simple even a Magellan user can operate it and figure out how to search for and locate a cache in minutes :) . . . instead of wandering around in circles for hours. ;)

LaughingTerry
05-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Shewolf bought a new 550T off of eBay for a little over $400. She saw mine and just had to have it. In fact she wanted one so bad she sat on her 60CSX in the kayak and broke the "enter" button. LOL

hollora
05-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Shewolf bought a new 550T off of eBay for a little over $400. She saw mine and just had to have it. In fact she wanted one so bad she sat on her 60CSX in the kayak and broke the "enter" button. LOL

LOL - now if she would give the 60CSX to TAT to fix - it could be recycled for the "teachers want to teach kids caching" loaner program OR for any occasion here in GCM folks might need to borrow a loaner unit.

I know folks have said contact the companies about units (inexpensive buys, donations and loans). From experience, the window of opportunity and/or these companies generousity is narrowing quickly.

Grants might work for folks wanting to outright own for teaching and educational programs but you need to find them. If GCM could come up with a neat way to recycle and loan out for use in educational settings, it would be nice. Surely legal issues here in liablity, but, we dd have a resident attorney don't we Dubord?

Just some rambling thoughts here.

Shewolf - congrats on your new purchase - hope it is wonderful!

masterson of the universe
05-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Just curious what drives people to buy newer and newer GPSr's as they come out? Is it a want for the latest and greatest technology or the feeling that its a necessity? I understand wanting the best because I am this way with my phone but I have a hard time rationalizing with a GPS. Just curious how many of you find yourself using all the extras with the units and ifyou find it taking some of the fun out of things? I stepped up to the 60csx two years ago from just a basic E-trex Legend and this was only due to the fact that I have the issue where i have to tap it when the screen goes out. While I liked being able to actually put more detailed maps on it, I don't really need much else.

What is it for you? Is it holding 5000 caches (who really needs this when you are updating your PQ's on a weekly basis and having to reload anyway?) Is it having satellite views? Is it color screen vs monochrome? Camera included? Mapping views?

Ekidokai
05-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Being able to go paperless, able to do werigo, being able to see the screen without glasses, accuracy, easy uploading and being able to connect to a computer, easy on batteries and holding 5000 caches are the selling points for me.

Many times I have gotten to an area and been out of my 500 limit. Thank God for the Nuvi.

pm28570
05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Just curious what drives people to buy newer and newer GPSr's as they come out? Is it a want for the latest and greatest technology or the feeling that its a necessity? I understand wanting the best because I am this way with my phone but I have a hard time rationalizing with a GPS. Just curious how many of you find yourself using all the extras with the units and ifyou find it taking some of the fun out of things? I stepped up to the 60csx two years ago from just a basic E-trex Legend and this was only due to the fact that I have the issue where i have to tap it when the screen goes out. While I liked being able to actually put more detailed maps on it, I don't really need much else.

What is it for you? Is it holding 5000 caches (who really needs this when you are updating your PQ's on a weekly basis and having to reload anyway?) Is it having satellite views? Is it color screen vs monochrome? Camera included? Mapping views?

Currently I cache paperless, but with a Blackberry and the cache with the Garmon GPSMap 60. So, I want to remain paperless and with one device. I'm not interested in smart phone GPS, I've given it a fair shake and I don't like it. The biggest drawback is the amount of memory available on the device, would like to have more.

Besides.....to a small degree, it's an equipment-intensive activity and we all like new toys. :rolleyes:

brdad
05-13-2010, 04:24 PM
It's quite obvious I'm not driven by technology, I am still using the same yellow Etrex I bought back in 2000!

Selling points for me are:
Paperless caching (I currently use the Nuvi for this or my PDA). It would be much handier to have it on the GPS.
Holding larger numbers of waypoints. It's not unusual for us to intend to take a trip to Portland and end up in Rangely. If I could hold all or most of the data on he GPS, it saves transferring from the laptop so much.

I really don't care much about the maps, except for those times when you'd like a better guess what side of a stream a cache is on. On the units you can use custom maps on, it does intrigue me to have the capability to make custom maps for areas like the Bangor City Forest.

pm28570
05-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I really don't care much about the maps, except for those times when you'd like a better guess what side of a stream a cache is on. On the units you can use custom maps on, it does intrigue me to have the capability to make custom maps for areas like the Bangor City Forest.

Doing that with Topo 8, which you can import .gpx files. Saw it a the Eustis event with some printed maps that, I believe, was done by Team Richards.

brdad
05-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Doing that with Topo 8, which you can import .gpx files. Saw it a the Eustis event with some printed maps that, I believe, was done by Team Richards.

Yes. I already have software that can digitize and place markers on any map, like the scanned map of Bangor City Forest shown below. Google Earth/Garmin now makes it so a person can transfer that map right onto compatible units that will overly on the standard maps. Seems like it would be great in areas like BCF where the trail system is not on the standard topo maps.

masterson of the universe
05-13-2010, 08:06 PM
You can get the trail heads for all the trails in the BCF here (http://cityforest.bangorinfo.com/gps-users.htm) but good luck finding anything files for download that actually have all the trails tracks listed. I guess you'd have to walk every single trail and create a track in order to use mapsource or something to create an overlay of the area.

firefighterjake
05-14-2010, 07:31 AM

My "latest" acquisition was an Explorist 210 . . . and that was purchased several years back . . . in some ways it was a step backwards in tech since I was using (and still use for ATVing/sledding) a color-screen Magellan Meridian.

I don't see myself buying a new GPSr (even though I really, really like the Oregon with the color screen, ability to easily download cache and cache info to the unit and the user-friendly aspects of this unit) . . . at least until my Explorist 210 dies . . . but darn it . . . I keep dropping it and it still works . . . maybe I should let Hiram borrow it for half an hour. ;):D

dufzor
05-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Bass Pro shops is having a sale online. Garmen Gpsmap 60Csx. $199.99 then use a coupon code for $20 off. Add in the $15ish shipping and your in for $199.94. However, its back ordered.

LaughingTerry
05-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Maybe one of the new Garmin phones? They sure are nice!

WhereRWe?
05-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Bass Pro shops is having a sale online. Garmen Gpsmap 60Csx. $199.99 then use a coupon code for $20 off. Add in the $15ish shipping and your in for $199.94. However, its back ordered.

Haffy - if you don't want to go real expensive, I recommend the 60csx. You've seen how many of us have recommended them. :D:D

Team V3
05-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I still use my GPSmap60. Of course, that is not saying I would not upgrade if I could afford it. Just can't afford it. :) Unfortunately, buying a new GPS to enhance my ability to find trinkets in lock and lock boxes and ammo cans just is not a priority. :)