View Full Version : New Satellites!

WhereRWe?
05-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Anyone heard of a Trimble GPSr?

And new satellites (http://ap.stripes.com/dynamic/stories/U/US_MILITARY_GPS_GLITCH?SITE=DCSAS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2010-05-17-19-11-54) are going up! :D:D

brdad
05-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Trimble makes many high end GPSrs used by surveyors and the like. Use a Trimble for a week and you'd probably think the units we use came in a Happy Meal!

One of their lower end units, the GeoXH (http://www.trimble.com/geoxh.shtml) has accuracy in inches and sells for about $3000.

http://www.trimble.com/graphics/products/geoxh-2008.jpg

EvilHomer
05-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Doesnt Trimble make the Military units, and the NASA units?

WhereRWe?
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Doesnt Trimble make the Military units, and the NASA units?

That's what the article I quoted says. LOL! ;);)

EvilHomer
05-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I didnt read the article yet. I AM SOOOO SMART I AM SOOO SMART! :)

darterkitfox
05-18-2010, 08:13 PM
It seems Trimble made the Loran unit that I used to have in my airplane.

CARoperPhotography
05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I think you should all pitch in so I can buy a Trimble and use it to make my hides cords even BETTER than they already are....

Haffy
05-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I think the whole fun is in trying to find the cache and not having it right under foot with something that is so accurate as to within centimeters.

JustKev
05-18-2010, 10:24 PM
I think you should all pitch in so I can buy a Trimble and use it to make my hides cords even BETTER than they already are....

Now, shouldn't this one be in your thread "Controversy"? :eek::p

oneday
05-19-2010, 06:51 PM
I use a Trimble at work with a four foot antenna. The accuracy is unbelievable (we have been using it mostly to map plant beds and it will notice a difference of a few inches on a cloudy day) but I still prefer my Etrex for caching.

CARoperPhotography
05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Now, shouldn't this one be in your thread "Controversy"? :eek::p

What is so controversial about this? It is a well known fact that my cords are right on with every one of my caches.... unlike a certain cacher who is a member of the Power Rangers and his contribution to that April Fools day series.....:D

dubord207
05-21-2010, 06:03 AM
I respectfully suggest that boasting about one's coords while taking a cheap shot about a fellow cacher's coords is not only in very poor taste but a comment that fails to take into consideration those days and times when our GPS units don't work as well as they normally do. Plus, as a cacher who has placed as many caches as you have, how about giving due consideration and respect to other cachers who have also placed a bunch of caches for everybody's enjoyment?

This isn't a "controversy", just a thoughtless comment that will likely evoke a personal and ugly response.

So, when are you going to the Liberty area to actually do some of these caches?

What is so controversial about this? It is a well known fact that my cords are right on with every one of my caches.... unlike a certain cacher who is a member of the Power Rangers and his contribution to that April Fools day series.....:D

brdad
05-21-2010, 06:41 AM
It's a well known fact I am the best moderator! If you don't believe it, just ask me! As long as one person keeps saying it, it's well known, right? Sheesh!

I think the whole fun is in trying to find the cache and not having it right under foot with something that is so accurate as to within centimeters.

Exactly. If a GPSr can get you within 25-30 feet and you can't find the cache, it's probably not the GPSrs fault! I'll take good geo-sense over sub-foot accurate coords any day.

WhereRWe?
05-21-2010, 07:50 AM
It's a well known fact I am the best moderator! If you don't believe it, just ask me! As long as one person keeps saying it, it's well known, right? Sheesh!

Sheesh! (But it's a true statement. When you're the ONLY moderator, that makes you the best, right? LOL!)

Exactly. If a GPSr can get you within 25-30 feet and you can't find the cache, it's probably not the GPSrs fault! I'll take good geo-sense over sub-foot accurate coords any day.

Exactly! Some people forget that geocaching is about the search, not the numbers. We recently searched for a cached and logged a DNF after searching for quite a while and being driven out by the black flies. Later, we used "phone-a-friend" for a hint, and when told where to look, had a "hit your head with your palm and shout 'DUH'" moment. The GPSr had us right on top, but we just didn't look in the right place. Point is - we enjoyed the search. We can always log the cache another time.

WhereRWe?
05-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I respectfully suggest that boasting about one's coords while taking a cheap shot about a fellow cacher's coords is not only in very poor taste but a comment that fails to take into consideration those days and times when our GPS units don't work as well as they normally do.

And you have to take into consideration that guard rail caches are usually out in the open, and the GPSr reception is a lot better than in the woods under heavy tree cover, like many of the older, more traditional geocaches are.

:D:D

Mapachi
05-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Aw heck! I post coords that are intentionally off a bit on some of my caches!
When I place "bridge" caches I sometimes take the coords in the center, so when you go to the right side the GPSr points to the left side, and when you go there, it points back to the right!
Add to the fact that I am a little dyslexic and I tend to reverse my coords when I post them; and you have a cache that could be ANYWHERE!

Maybe, when he's ready to do the Central Maine Power Run, Serious Tool should take with him, a fellow cacher who has done the series and can help him find those caches with "loose" coords. LOL

Some people cache without GPSrs! They Google Earth the cache and go look for it! Phew!

Mapachi
05-21-2010, 08:10 AM
OOOPS! Serious Tool is back to CARoperPhotography again! Sorry "bout" that.
Identity problem?

JustPJ66
05-21-2010, 08:12 AM
When I place "bridge" caches I sometimes take the coords in the center, so when you go to the right side the GPSr points to the left side, and when you go there, it points back to the right!
Add to the fact that I am a little dyslexic and I tend to reverse my coords when I post them; and you have a cache that could be ANYWHERE!

No wonder your hides are so devious and hard to find LOL

brdad
05-21-2010, 08:32 AM

While I do not agree with a cache placer intentionally posting incorrect coords, if it's only 10 or 15 feet there's a good chance a cacher may zero out at the right spot anyway!

I always thought it would be neat for someone to place the first stage of a multi cache at an easy to identify spot like the top of a monument in an open area and ask all finders to post their coords and accuracy. All coordinates under a given accuracy (20 ft?) would be averaged into the posted coords and that would be edited.

benandtina
05-21-2010, 12:10 PM
This is one thing (of many! lol) that Ben and I disagree on. I think if it were up to him, coords would always point to parking areas and then he'd be able to go off and rely on only his Geosenses. This typically works for him but I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it when his Geosenses send him off in the wrong direction. Half the time he doesn't even pay attention to what I am doing and doesn't notice I'm not following him.

I am fine with coords being a off for larger containers... but if I am searching for a nano or even micro I like the coords to get me pretty close.

CARoperPhotography
05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
At least I see that Mapachi admits to posting wrong cords, which goes against Groundspeak Guidelines for geocaching. The point of the game is to use precise GPS cords to locate a cache. Geosenses and cords that are intentionally off are not the point of the game. I see I have made my point.

When will I be up to the area for this power run, which seems to be considered the best thing since sliced bread as far as Maine Caching is concerned.... sometime in the next month. I get only one day off a week from work. I am doing break work on the Jeep this week and plan to be coming up with Marcipanek and MaineSleddah soon when we can do it on the proper schedule. It's no fun doing a power run alone.

As far as poor taste in criticizing another cacher's intentionally bad cords.... this is pure drivel and you know it Dan.

WhereRWe?
05-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I am doing break work on the Jeep this week...

"BRAKE" work... :D:D

CARoperPhotography
05-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I respectfully suggest that boasting about one's coords while taking a cheap shot about a fellow cacher's coords is not only in very poor taste but a comment that fails to take into consideration those days and times when our GPS units don't work as well as they normally do. Plus, as a cacher who has placed as many caches as you have, how about giving due consideration and respect to other cachers who have also placed a bunch of caches for everybody's enjoyment?

This isn't a "controversy", just a thoughtless comment that will likely evoke a personal and ugly response.

So, when are you going to the Liberty area to actually do some of these caches?

Ahhh yes, bad weather and tree coverage complaints and excuses for bad cords? You must all have Garmins... go figure! Get a Delorme PN series and those woes go away ;-) Besides Mapachi has already come clean on intentionally giving bad cords. Real classy.... real classy. Dan, you being an attorney should know better than to defend a client (in this case Mapachi) in a public forum without advising him to keep his mouth shut.....

CARoperPhotography
05-21-2010, 06:58 PM
And you have to take into consideration that guard rail caches are usually out in the open, and the GPSr reception is a lot better than in the woods under heavy tree cover, like many of the older, more traditional geocaches are.

:D:D

Are you hinting that all my caches are "guardrail" caches? If that is so, I advise you to find all of the 320 or so caches I have placed.... only a portion are park n grabs....I have cache types and hide types for everyone. Even Dubord himself can attest to that.... whether he will choose to here is another story....

CARoperPhotography
05-21-2010, 06:59 PM
"BRAKE" work... :D:D

Yup, just ordered new rotors and brake pads for the rear on the Jeep. Gotta problem with that? I do it all myself, and my brakes dont hold up as long as most vehicles because mine get covered in mud, water, sand, grime almost everytime I drive it. I use my Jeep as a Jeep, not as a mall crawler.

Mapachi
05-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Heh,Heh,Heh!

Put a coin in the cup, and watch the Monkey dance!

JustPJ66
05-21-2010, 08:05 PM
LOL way to funny!!!

CARoperPhotography
05-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Who's the monkey? ;-)

dubord207
05-22-2010, 06:20 AM
As noted in my logs, I found most of your caches to be very close to the posted coords. There were a few that were off but that happens to all of us with all types of GPS units.

As far as my comment being "drivel"...not so. It takes a lot to ruffle my feathers, most lawyers have a high tolerance for most stuff, but I will almost always jump on members of this site that take what I consider to be personal cheap shots at other cachers. I'd come to Chadd's defense if I found comments to be out of line. Chadd does troll a bit and doesn't seem to mind being a "lightning rod" on some subjects and certainly seems capable of defending himself.

I look forward to seeing what you think of the April Fool's series.

Are you hinting that all my caches are "guardrail" caches? If that is so, I advise you to find all of the 320 or so caches I have placed.... only a portion are park n grabs....I have cache types and hide types for everyone. Even Dubord himself can attest to that.... whether he will choose to here is another story....

CARoperPhotography
05-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Dan it takes a fool to appreciate a fool and I am the SeriousFOOL so I should be able to seriously evaluate your series ;-) Is there
a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo tribute? That's my old
College era car... Where are the Jeep tributes??

Mapachi
05-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Dan it takes a fool to appreciate a fool and I am the SeriousFOOL so I should be able to seriously evaluate your series ;-) Is there

We thought you had those covered!

Why don't you archive them all and bring them up here to re-publish them along with the power run! There's still room!

dubord207
05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
I put out one for the Jeep Grand Wagoner, basically a flatlander's jeep if you ask me. It did carry some cargo and once I did hook it up rear bumper to rear bumper with a Dodge Power Wagon that supposedly had posi-track. The jeep's 360 pulled the entire rear chassis off the Dodge. I dragged it down the road another half mile just because.

There's a Nissan 300, a car I owned for 19 years. I never owned the twin turbo version but did drive one in Conn. at Paul Newman's track. If I'd have had one I wouldn't be posting this as I'd have been dead a long time ago!

WhereRWe?
05-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I put out one for the Jeep Grand Wagoner, basically a flatlander's jeep if you ask me.

Among other cars, I've owned an Isuzu Trooper, a GMC Jimmy, and 2 Ford Explorers. We rented both a Ford Escape and a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited when we were in Hawaii last fall. I liked the 1997 Ford Explorer the best. :D:D

CARoperPhotography
05-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I put out one for the Jeep Grand Wagoner, basically a flatlander's jeep if you ask me. It did carry some cargo and once I did hook it up rear bumper to rear bumper with a Dodge Power Wagon that supposedly had posi-track. The jeep's 360 pulled the entire rear chassis off the Dodge. I dragged it down the road another half mile just because.

There's a Nissan 300, a car I owned for 19 years. I never owned the twin turbo version but did drive one in Conn. at Paul Newman's track. If I'd have had one I wouldn't be posting this as I'd have been dead a long time ago!

I did notice the Wagoneer cache.

I ran my 300z TT at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah back when I lived in Seattle.... wow.... only problem is the gov on the engine cuts it off at 155.... the same issue came up when I raced against a C5 vette up I-15 from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City one time.... in the mountains and the canyons that I-15 follows in that one corner of Arizona was where I was able to out do him with the manuevers that I could do and he couldn't but on the flat out straight aways he had the edge. We would pass Utah State Troopers sitting in the median and see them start to pull out and try to get up speed to come after us but never saw any sign of them in the end. They couldn't get us....

CARoperPhotography
05-22-2010, 05:21 PM
We thought you had those covered!

Why don't you archive them all and bring them up here to re-publish them along with the power run! There's still room!

Because I am having a small issue with getting my new caches published. The reviewer is taking his time, or refusing to publish most of my new caches.... I have ten that have been waiting between 3 days and three weeks now.

Haffy
05-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Here we go again......:rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Here we go again......:rolleyes:

Sheesh! Georgia? What the heck are you doing in Georgia?? :confused::confused:

Haffy
05-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Sheesh! Georgia? What the heck are you doing in Georgia?? :confused::confused:

Where you been anyway. I told everyone that I was moving because of a job transfer. Am liviing in Gainesville GA just a few miles from where Rick started his journey. In fact I am hiking up to Amicalola Falls this coming weekend where Rick first started his trek in April.

brdad
05-24-2010, 07:40 PM
You'd better hurry if you're gonna catch up with him!