View Full Version : Question just for fun...

brdad
05-21-2010, 08:19 PM
This is just for fun, this is not really happening. Positive and fun posts only! :)

Here's the scenario. Gc.com has taken my advice and limited every account to one cache hide. This will be your only cache hide for the next 365 days. At the end of the 365 days if you have maintained your cache you will be allowed to place another.

You may either keep one of your existing cache hides or place one new cache.

Which one of your caches will you keep, or will you place a new one, and why?

Edit: This thread has wandered off-topic; feel free to read on and reply here or in the Article of the same topic, The one cache you would keep? (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4666)

Mapachi
05-21-2010, 08:24 PM
I'd keep my "CACHZILLA" cache. It's too damn big to carry back out!

cano
05-21-2010, 08:53 PM
WhereIGo Bangor mini adventure cache. It's cool to have almost unique cache in whole Maine :) My second would be Pot of Gold. I like the puzzle and the cache theme. (Well until Ekidokai decided to empty clean it)

brdad
05-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I had to think about this for a minute, but I think for the same reason cano posted - because of it's uniqueness - I'd have to go with my You Sank My Battleship cache. The location is not as spectacular as some of my other caches but it still gets some fun logs. I think the fact there are 20 people watching it means something, too.

pm28570
05-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Would keep Bennett/Wilson, GC1XX37. It's a nice area, some interesting sights to see and ponder. Interesting question, Dave. I like it.

Waterski
05-21-2010, 10:37 PM
I would want to keep the Rockland Breakwater cache, because people that go there always have good things to say about the location and many might not have found the area if they weren't looking for the cache. One per year would be an interesting idea though. The places that the caches would be placed would most likely be very special places..........

CARoperPhotography
05-21-2010, 11:42 PM
This is a tough one for me.... having SOOOO many hides.... and for all you wise-asses out there, no I wouldn't keep any of my Star Wars series...

I would keep GC21NKNP DIre Straights: Tribute to The Death Squad.... read the logs. But a close second, or maybe a co-favorite would be GC1W2DF Quarry of Serenity...

CARoperPhotography
05-21-2010, 11:43 PM
The sad part about this question is that if this was the case, we'd only have maybe 35 caches in all of Maine for the first year! It seems that the same old cachers are the ones placing and maintaining all the hides...

brdad
05-22-2010, 06:30 AM
The sad part about this question is that if this was the case, we'd only have maybe 35 caches in all of Maine for the first year! It seems that the same old cachers are the ones placing and maintaining all the hides...

And the sad part is? Sounds good to me!

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from but the fact is it would be much more than 35 caches. There are currently 976 unique cache hiders in Maine, and that is not counting new and existing cachers with no hides that would be able to place one as well.

There are many cache hiders who hide one nice cache that go unnoticed behind those that hide so many. That is the sad part. But let's not let this thread be about that (but it gives me an idea for another thread).

Back to the topic at hand - who's next?

WhereRWe?
05-22-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from but the fact is it would be much more than 35 caches. There are currently 976 unique cache hiders in Maine, and that is not counting new and existing cachers with no hides that would be able to place one as well.
?

And there are 2,114 members of GeocachingMaine.org alone. And I've mentioned before that a lot of cachers who log our caches who are not members of GCM.org. :D:D

WhereRWe?
05-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Which one of your caches will you keep, or will you place a new one, and why?

We'd definitely keep our "Got Moxie? (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c836e61d-0ec2-46a7-a36b-a00d53c0be69)" cache. It's probably the most scenic waterfall in Maine, and the walk to the cache is really representative of the Maine woods. :D:D

LaughingTerry
05-22-2010, 08:09 AM
I would have to keep Deathwish. It doesn't get a lot of logs but the ones that do it really like it.

CARoperPhotography
05-22-2010, 08:29 AM
And how many of those unique cache huders are
actually active in Geoaching after finding a handful of caches and placing one or two that they don't bother to maintain, and ed
up costing all of us countless DNFs every caching trip and it takes a Papal Decree to get MainePubliher to archive? Ha ha

WhereRWe?
05-22-2010, 08:33 AM
And how many of those unique cache huders are
actually active in Geoaching after finding a handful of caches and placing one or two that they don't bother to maintain, and ed
up costing all of us countless DNFs every caching trip and it takes a Papal Decree to get MainePubliher to archive? Ha ha

If a cache has 2 consecutive DNF's, we don't even bother with it. :D:D

JustKev
05-22-2010, 09:06 AM

We're just as apt to go give one a try even if there have been more than two, depending on circumstances. There's no guideline we use but if we're in the area anyway we might give it a try. Perfect example was Webber Pond. There were 4 DNF's before we gave it a shot. We got a general hint from RCWhit because he had found it earlier but it still took about 20 minutes before it was uncovered. It's still there, I believe, even though it's been DNF'ed again. The reason we did this one was simply because we like the caches placed by Mapachi (intentional incorrect coordinates and all) so we figured we'd give it a try in hopes of finding it so he wouldn't have to trundle on down there before his bum foot/leg was ready.

Other caches with DNF's we might try just to see if we can get luckier than those who preceeded us. Sometimes we do, others we DNF ourselves. Some we give a real try to find, others we just give the area a cursory glance. It's all part of the game, in our estimation, including how you decide which caches you try to find.

cano
05-22-2010, 10:24 AM
And the sad part is? Sounds good to me!

Then why don't you move to Haiti or st Lucia? They both have just two geocaches in whole country. You would love geocaching there :P I have been geocaching in both and it sucks.

brdad
05-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Then why don't you move to Haiti or st Lucia? They both have just two geocaches in whole country. You would love geocaching there :P I have been geocaching in both and it sucks.

I have a theory (based on no known facts) that if people hid a smaller number of caches that other cachers would be more likely to hide a few. I think it is intimidating to some to hide one cache when someone next door is placing tens or hundreds. I also think if the number of hides were limited, more thought would be put into those hides and they would represent the hider better. So, I have no interest in moving to Haiti, but I'd have no problem dropping back to 700+ good quality, solid caches for one year. I am guessing in as little as 4 or 5 years we would be back to our present number of caches, but they would be done with much more imagination than many present caches.

JustKev
05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I have a theory (based on no known facts) that if people hid a smaller number of caches that other cachers would be more likely to hide a few. I think it is intimidating to some to hide one cache when someone next door is placing tens or hundreds.

Pam and I have each hidden one cache - the listing says both of us but I own one and she owns one. They're both in places of some little bit of historical value. The two other types of caches we may consider placing would be in a place we consider significant because of the beauty of the area or of something nearby and we may place one in a spot of no significance at all but the cache itself we're hoping would be the draw. Not in the sense of more numbers either as a cache hider or for the general cacher out looking but for what the cache contains.

We don't place caches based on how many we can get out there (obviously since we've only placed 2) and we don't seek out caches based on seeing how fast we can get to milestones like 500, 1000 and so on. If either of those things work for an individual cacher, great for them. If we happen on a cache that's along our route for the day and we stop to log it we might not put as much effort into what we say on the online log if there is no significance to it's placement. That's already been mentioned by others as well. Personally, what I get out of geocaching is kind of twofold. I enjoy the hunt but I far more enjoy the hunt with my wife along with me. Neither one of us (with the exception of the first one RCWhit too Pam too) has looked for and logged a cache without the other one along for the trip. Pam occasionally hangs back while I get a hard to get to cache because of her knee but she's at least nearby.

All that being said, I can envision a person being intimidated by a power cacher enough that they decide against placing caches because of that. It's just not us. :)

Ekidokai
05-22-2010, 12:27 PM
I have a theory (based on no known facts) that if people hid a smaller number of caches that other cachers would be more likely to hide a few. I think it is intimidating to some to hide one cache when someone next door is placing tens or hundreds. I also think if the number of hides were limited, more thought would be put into those hides and they would represent the hider better. So, I have no interest in moving to Haiti, but I'd have no problem dropping back to 700+ good quality, solid caches for one year. I am guessing in as little as 4 or 5 years we would be back to our present number of caches, but they would be done with much more imagination than many present caches.

I also have a theory based on know facts... besides the obvious.

Fact one, not many hides in the first few years. I keep wishing I had started this obsession back when it all started. Then I think about how quick it would have gotten old after finding the few caches within a reasonable distance and then having nothing to look forward to except long trips resulting in killing polar bears and getting eaten by far off bugs. If I'm going to get eaten, it's going to be by the neighborhood population. It would get boring quick. Just look at how many people that started back in 2000 or even just five years ago. Not many of them still around. After you find the ones close it doesn't matter how much thought, represention of the hider, solid or imagination went into the hides, the sport would die without the interest from the participants. I know I would have gotten bored quick.

Another thing is the quality of the hides that people keep talking about. What criteria are you using for quality? If you have absolutely no imagination and wonder in your life I can see where you might need someone else to provide this stimulus. I find a level of excitement in each cache. Someone hid a secret stash of some kind that only a few other special people know about. Only a few of the people that know about this stash can find it and fewer more can do this without being seen and having the stash discovered and destroyed by muggles. In the middle of town or at the top of the mountain, it is the excitement of finding the hidden treasure, searching for clues and solving riddles. If its just about going to locations that are interesting go to a tourism sight. If it's just about the trees, water, and animals, go out in the yard, look at the trees, spray some water in a bucket and let the bugs eat you. Put a 5 gal pal out there with a bunch of pictures and tokens in it and each time you cut the lawn it will be like a new find for you. A tree is a tree, a pond is a pond, an animal is an animal to some. A quality hide can be a GRC or an ammo can at the edge of a great vista if you choose it to be. I choose not to limit my enjoyment to such a strict boring criteria.

I'm not so sure we need more people hiding caches. Using GSAK I see many many caches that have been put out, quality or not that need attention and the hider is long gone and the cache is trash.

I'm not sure I can see anything reflecting the persona of anyone by placing an ammo can on top of some old mountain, or placing an ammo can under a rock at the edge of some old pond. Big whoop. Can't believe I'm going to say this... put a nano in a statue in a park with all the history surrounding you. Put a micro in a tree along a great dirt road in the woods take brings you out to an area that you might never go and each time you stop you get to see something different. Now thats interesting, intriguing, fun and adventurous.

Nature, bah!

Really, quality is subjective. I see quality and adventure in each cache. I just wish everyone could enjoy this sport as much as I do.

JustKev
05-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I agree with your perspective, Ekodokai, to some extent. If I didn't, we wouldn't stop for those caches along the route we took on any given day. I think the best way to put it would be, if they were all just GRC's in ever guardrail along a road that I'd been down for other reasons I probably wouldn't continue caching. We're preparing for a trip to gather in a few caches this coming Tuesday that we'll combine with a little fishing, a lot of site seeing on a new road that we wouldn't be on if it weren't for geocaching and having a nice picnic lunch somewhere along the way. If there were just one cache along the route in a significant area because of the scenario brdad outlined in this thread we would probably still go and simply enjoy the day. Maybe we'd spend more time fishing. Maybe we'd spend more time eating the picnic lunch in a scenic area. Who knows? I'm just thankful there are other cachers out there who enjoy the sport as well so that it has the opportunity to keep going and growing. I agree with you on the point you made about those who have moved along and now their caches are beginning to show their age. It would be nice if they'd offer them for adoption or remove them so that others can place something in the general area or what ever. In the mean time, as we find caches that are wet, we try to replace logs if we can. We remove offensive items or items that are inappropriate. We try to leave the area nicer than when we came if possible. And, we just go on enjoying life.

brdad
05-22-2010, 03:01 PM
By quality, I was referring to unique, well thought out, and well maintained. I don't think that just because a hider is limited to one cache that all roadside, grc, and lpc caches would be gone, nor should they be.

As far as getting bored, if you started in 2001 maybe you would have gotten bored and left. Many did. I started in June of 2002 and there were 145 active caches. I cached my ass off and never got bored. They were not all in the woods. Oddly enough, the percentage of D/T ratings were very similar to today's caches. Some caches were great, some were less so, but it was still great to get out. And I never got my unfound Maine caches down to less than 80. At that point I thought I might be able to get them all. But the caches started coming in 2003 so quick no one could have kept up with it. While 2 or 3 cachers might cache the state dry, I'd bet if we started at 7-800 (as this thread's topic suggests) and increased accordingly, most cachers would always have caches to find. Maybe they would not be able to run out and drive .3 miles from home and get one, and maybe they would not get more than 25 or so in a day, but I think there would be plenty of caches to keep the majority occupied.

I do think caches can show a hiders persona. Laughing Terry has many fun and clever hides. Cano loves his puzzles. Groleau loves the physical challenge. Hollora, Cameo, and Becket showed their compassion with the Maine Rose Series. EmsDaniel loves his little critters. Northwoods Explorer loves Geology. And the list goes on. I'm sure not everyone sees any value in this aspect of a cache, but Lee and myself both like it when a cache reflects on the hider.

dubord207
05-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Di and I did one of the St. Lucia caches. Pretty island but they need more caches!

dubord207
05-22-2010, 03:04 PM
It would have to be our 3 Mile Pond Hike, Kayak or Whatever Cache. It's the only 5.0 terrain we've put out so far but the most fun is that it's located about 70 feet from the chair I'm sitting in so we can watch cachers struggle to figure it out.:)

brdad
05-22-2010, 03:19 PM
It would have to be our 3 Mile Pond Hike, Kayak or Whatever Cache. It's the only 5.0 terrain we've put out so far but the most fun is that it's located about 70 feet from the chair I'm sitting in so we can watch cachers struggle to figure it out.:)

Lee got the ok from her doc to kayak, so we're hoping to get out and do some kayak caches in the near future. We have a lot of non-caching duties on the upcoming calendar, however. :(

WhereRWe?
05-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm sure not everyone sees any value in this aspect of a cache, but Lee and myself both like it when a cache reflects on the hider.

Sheesh! Am I supposed to be embarrassed by the fact that all our caches are "BIG"? LOL! :p:p

CARoperPhotography
05-22-2010, 05:25 PM
By quality, I was referring to unique, well thought out, and well maintained. I don't think that just because a hider is limited to one cache that all roadside, grc, and lpc caches would be gone, nor should they be.

As far as getting bored, if you started in 2001 maybe you would have gotten bored and left. Many did. I started in June of 2002 and there were 145 active caches. I cached my ass off and never got bored. They were not all in the woods. Oddly enough, the percentage of D/T ratings were very similar to today's caches. Some caches were great, some were less so, but it was still great to get out. And I never got my unfound Maine caches down to less than 80. At that point I thought I might be able to get them all. But the caches started coming in 2003 so quick no one could have kept up with it. While 2 or 3 cachers might cache the state dry, I'd bet if we started at 7-800 (as this thread's topic suggests) and increased accordingly, most cachers would always have caches to find. Maybe they would not be able to run out and drive .3 miles from home and get one, and maybe they would not get more than 25 or so in a day, but I think there would be plenty of caches to keep the majority occupied.

I do think caches can show a hiders persona. Laughing Terry has many fun and clever hides. Cano loves his puzzles. Groleau loves the physical challenge. Hollora, Cameo, and Becket showed their compassion with the Maine Rose Series. EmsDaniel loves his little critters. Northwoods Explorer loves Geology. And the list goes on. I'm sure not everyone sees any value in this aspect of a cache, but Lee and myself both like it when a cache reflects on the hider.

Noticed that Brdad did get some of my hides when he was down here, but for some reason limited to the hides that by his definition were not quality hides. I have some very HIGH quality hides that he totally ignored....very odd don't you think?

CARoperPhotography
05-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Sheesh! Am I supposed to be embarrassed by the fact that all our caches are "BIG"? LOL! :p:p

Are you trying to make up for some other "personal" short coming?

lexmano
05-23-2010, 12:39 PM
This cache is one of my favorites. As I was admiring the view of the back cove area in Portland from Sheridan Street, I decided to place a guardrail cache from a spot that gave a great view. As I was averaging the coordinates, I heard voices coming from above and behind me. I turned and saw two women leaning against a fence straight up a steep hill about 45 feet higher.

I grabbed the cache and drove up to North Street and found a delightful park with spectacular views of Portland. I had lived in the area more than 20 years and had no idea this park existed. The logs indicate taht I am not the only local who was unaware of this park! I am so glad those women spoke loudly that day!:)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=57e0dc24-1b3c-4e5f-b052-998a50e7306f

cachecrashers4
05-23-2010, 02:38 PM

This one was a blast! Liked it so much I brought the kids back the next day so Joey could make the find. :D

EvilHomer
05-23-2010, 06:11 PM
. I choose not to limit my enjoyment to such a strict boring criteria.

I'm not so sure we need more people hiding caches. Using GSAK I see many many caches that have been put out, quality or not that need attention and the hider is long gone and the cache is trash.

I'm not sure I can see anything reflecting the persona of anyone by placing an ammo can on top of some old mountain, or placing an ammo can under a rock at the edge of some old pond. Big whoop. Can't believe I'm going to say this... put a nano in a statue in a park with all the history surrounding you. Put a micro in a tree along a great dirt road in the woods take brings you out to an area that you might never go and each time you stop you get to see something different. Now thats interesting, intriguing, fun and adventurous.

Nature, bah!

Really, quality is subjective. I see quality and adventure in each cache. I just wish everyone could enjoy this sport as much as I do.

I agree Mike! Its a good thing BRDad isn't running the show :)

WhereRWe?
05-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Are you trying to make up for some other "personal" short coming?

Sheesh! I don't know. Perhaps. :p:p

What "personal shortcoming" are you trying to make up for by being so confrontational? :confused::confused:

dubord207
05-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Excuse me!!!! Didn't I do a micro cache today you put out? Since when does a film canister qualify as "big?" Hope you're not trying to trick your fellow cachers!;)

brdad
05-23-2010, 07:29 PM
I agree Mike! Its a good thing BRDad isn't running the show :)

While I don't think this one idea of mine would be detrimental to the sport, if everything was the way I would have it, I agree the game would probably fade out fast! Of course, many of my thoughts are based on experience, some things I thought were important early on are not that important and some of the things I thought were not important are. What I would have proposed for rules when I started is not necessarily the case now!

WhereRWe?
05-23-2010, 07:47 PM
While I don't think this one idea of mine would be detrimental to the sport, if everything was the way I would have it, I agree the game would probably fade out fast!

I disagree. You need to get up to this area. It would renew your faith in continuance geocaching! LOL! :D:D

CARoperPhotography
05-23-2010, 08:51 PM
This cache is one of my favorites. As I was admiring the view of the back cove area in Portland from Sheridan Street, I decided to place a guardrail cache from a spot that gave a great view. As I was averaging the coordinates, I heard voices coming from above and behind me. I turned and saw two women leaning against a fence straight up a steep hill about 45 feet higher.

I grabbed the cache and drove up to North Street and found a delightful park with spectacular views of Portland. I had lived in the area more than 20 years and had no idea this park existed. The logs indicate taht I am not the only local who was unaware of this park! I am so glad those women spoke loudly that day!:)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=57e0dc24-1b3c-4e5f-b052-998a50e7306f

If you look at my official Geocaching profile, you will see that I listed this cache as one of my favorites! The vista from the park is similar to my favorite view of Seattle, WA from the Queen Anne neighborhood inside the city limits.... probably the most iconic views of Seattle. Thanks for this cache Lex! It is a great spot unknown to most of us, and one I would never have found except by caching!

CARoperPhotography
05-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Sheesh! I don't know. Perhaps. :p:p

What "personal shortcoming" are you trying to make up for by being so confrontational? :confused::confused:

Nah, thats the reason I have my Jeep...not why I am so confrontational. I am so confrontational because I have balls unlike a lot of others here on the forum who either won't say a thing or will but toe the party line and are afraid to really speak up....

brdad
05-24-2010, 06:50 AM
This thread has veered off in 8 directions so I have created an article titled
The one cache you would keep? (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=65979#post65979) to display the originally intended data. Thee are some interesting thoughts going on here nonetheless, so we'll keep this open. If you'd still like to add your favorite hide to the list in the article, feel free to post here or in the article comments.

brdad
05-24-2010, 07:06 AM
I disagree. You need to get up to this area. It would renew your faith in continuance geocaching! LOL! :D:D

See, this is where I think the difference is, correct me if I am wrong. I am guessing most of these caches stand on their own. If you were to do only one of them, you would be satisfied. If LT were allowed to hide only one of these a year, you'd be happy to do them anyway.

I know there are some cachers out there that cannot be satisfied unless they have found 25 or more in a day, and there are some caches out there that would be less than interesting for most unless you find 25 or more of them in a day.

Some caches are simply not designed to stand alone. I'm guessing most of the Star Wars series are like that. If I was to drive from Bangor to find only one, I'd probably be dissatisfied. It's obvious they were not placed to be found alone. There is nothing wrong with that, but for me I prefer caches that can stand alone, even if I get 25 of them in a day.

It sounds like the auto series might have stepped it up a notch and LT's may have stepped it up another notch. Someday I'll do a few of many or all of the series and know better.

brdad
05-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Sheesh, this thread is like the chat some nights - 10 topics going on at once!

WhereRWe?
05-24-2010, 07:22 AM
See, this is where I think the difference is, correct me if I am wrong. I am guessing most of these caches stand on their own. If you were to do only one of them, you would be satisfied. If LT were allowed to hide only one of these a year, you'd be happy to do them anyway.

Sheesh! Anyone who has done more than one of LT's caches knows that they definitely stand alone! LOL! :D:D

JustKev
05-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Sheesh! Anyone who has done more than one of LT's caches knows that they definitely stand alone! LOL! :D:D

Are you trying to say something about LT's hygene?

brdad
05-24-2010, 07:27 AM

Yeah, he'd never hide a STOP & grab Lame Micro!:p

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 07:37 AM

How very true . . . not to get off topic too much, but one of my pet peeves has always been folks with a bazillion finds and zero cache hides.

I will admit after having put out several caches in the past few years I was a bit lax last year, but was motivated to go out and place three new caches not long ago (and I have plans for more) thanks in no small part to SMR, Dubord and Mapachi's Car Series . . .

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 07:41 AM

I typically do the same . . . and as a cache hider if I fiind a cache of my own with two or more DNFs I typically will go out and check to see if the cache is there or not.

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 07:43 AM

I know there are some cachers out there that cannot be satisfied unless they have found 25 or more in a day, and there are some caches out there that would be less than interesting for most unless you find 25 or more of them in a day.

Some caches are simply not designed to stand alone. I'm guessing most of the Star Wars series are like that. If I was to drive from Bangor to find only one, I'd probably be dissatisfied. It's obvious they were not placed to be found alone. There is nothing wrong with that, but for me I prefer caches that can stand alone, even if I get 25 of them in a day.

It sounds like the auto series might have stepped it up a notch and LT's may have stepped it up another notch. Someday I'll do a few of many or all of the series and know better.

Brdad, you are entirely correct, the Star Wars series, just like The Stud Mill series and I am sure the Central Maine Power run are not meant to stand alone as individual caches. It is about the entire experience. I have told many cachers, including Kacky when I did the PodCache with her last winter, that I like to view these power runs as Stand Alone Caches of their own... meaning that the entire series is one big cache. Make any sense?

As far as my other caches, the two I mentioned in the start of this thread are ones I would advise even you would enjoy. Just read the logs!

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Brdad, you are entirely correct, the Star Wars series, just like The Stud Mill series and I am sure the Central Maine Power run are not meant to stand alone as individual caches. It is about the entire experience. I have told many cachers, including Kacky when I did the PodCache with her last winter, that I like to view these power runs as Stand Alone Caches of their own... meaning that the entire series is one big cache. Make any sense?

As far as my other caches, the two I mentioned in the start of this thread are ones I would advise even you would enjoy. Just read the logs!

You make an excellent point . . . two excellent points in fact. And I agree . . . the series you mentioned are not really, truly designed to be stand alone caches -- quite frankly most of these would have bored me if I just went out and did a few at a time . . .

And your second point to which I also agree . . . they really are about the experience . . . it's about dressing up as Star Wars characters with friends . . . it's about hanging out with folks you rarely see and bombing on down the Stud Mill Road . . . it's about remembering cars you and your friends have driven or owned . . . unlike some caching experiences, these series are different as it is experienced driven (and infinitely more fun with friends) vs. having the thrill of the hunt.

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 07:56 AM
And to get back to the original thread.

I don't know if I could single out one cache . . . with only a few exceptions I like all of mine . . . and for many different reasons.

Some offer some great historical aspects (Before Lizzie Borden), some offer great views (I've Found My Thrill), some showcase a bit of my humor (Firefighterjake's Future Home), some offer a challenge to the searcher (Out Behind the School, Brier's Beach) and some are designed as very personal reminders (Out of the Ashes.)

This past year I had to archive a cache . . . the first time for me. It wasn't one of my most favorite caches, but I have to tell you I felt a bit sad to have to do so . . . then again, I kind of had to since it had been bulldozed and was 100 yards away from its original placement . . . under who knows how many tons of dirt, stumps and rocks.

No, I'm afraid I can't pick just one . . . and am glad we are not limited to putting out just a single cache every year.

brdad
05-24-2010, 10:38 AM

That's exactly what I am getting at, I am glad to see we can agree on something.

So here is another take on that. If these series as a whole are designed to be viewed as a stand alone, why not make it a 100 stage multi? It's original (well, it has been done but is uncommon worldwide). That one multi most likely will get a much better log, and it will most likely not be a serial log. The cache will be remembered as and referred to as a single cache. People who take the time to do the cache will do so for the challenge and less for the numbers.

My Battleship cache is a great example. Up to 26 stages, many of which would make lesser quality caches if they were individual caches. The final is in a decent but not spectacular spot, the hide is somewhat unique but forgettable for some if it was a stand alone cache. As a whole, however, I think the cache is more memorable because it is unique.

I know many people dislike multis, but shouldn't a cacher or group be able to have as much fun spending 8 hours on a 100 stage multi as they do 100 individual caches? Unless they are driven solely by the numbers, of course which some are though we don't really have any hard core ones locally.

Personally I'd rather find the 100 stage multi, especially if the final was at a nice spot with a decent size container. I know I'd write a better log! Maintenance would be a bit easier, too - only one cache page to disable/edit/get logs from!

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 11:12 AM
How very true . . . not to get off topic too much, but one of my pet peeves has always been folks with a bazillion finds and zero cache hides.

I will admit after having put out several caches in the past few years I was a bit lax last year, but was motivated to go out and place three new caches not long ago (and I have plans for more) thanks in no small part to SMR, Dubord and Mapachi's Car Series . . .

I am glad my Star Wars Series meant no motivation..... ;-)

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
That's exactly what I am getting at, I am glad to see we can agree on something.

So here is another take on that. If these series as a whole are designed to be viewed as a stand alone, why not make it a 100 stage multi? It's original (well, it has been done but is uncommon worldwide). That one multi most likely will get a much better log, and it will most likely not be a serial log. The cache will be remembered as and referred to as a single cache. People who take the time to do the cache will do so for the challenge and less for the numbers.

My Battleship cache is a great example. Up to 26 stages, many of which would make lesser quality caches if they were individual caches. The final is in a decent but not spectacular spot, the hide is somewhat unique but forgettable for some if it was a stand alone cache. As a whole, however, I think the cache is more memorable because it is unique.

I know many people dislike multis, but shouldn't a cacher or group be able to have as much fun spending 8 hours on a 100 stage multi as they do 100 individual caches? Unless they are driven solely by the numbers, of course which some are though we don't really have any hard core ones locally.

Personally I'd rather find the 100 stage multi, especially if the final was at a nice spot with a decent size container. I know I'd write a better log! Maintenance would be a bit easier, too - only one cache page to disable/edit/get logs from!

Because only one person would ever do a 100 stage multi. That would be the FTF. Personally, I would never do a 100 stage Multi... heck I don't do all that many multis myself! The experience of doing this kind of series is also fun because you get over 100 finds for your find count on GC.com when you do it. No one would come out to spend an entire day doing 100 finds if it only counted as 1 on GC.com. And heck it would take up way too much prime cache hiding spots. At least with this series of mine, I can archive an individual cache to make room for someone else to place something if they want.

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 11:16 AM
You make an excellent point . . . two excellent points in fact. And I agree . . . the series you mentioned are not really, truly designed to be stand alone caches -- quite frankly most of these would have bored me if I just went out and did a few at a time . . .

And your second point to which I also agree . . . they really are about the experience . . . it's about dressing up as Star Wars characters with friends . . . it's about hanging out with folks you rarely see and bombing on down the Stud Mill Road . . . it's about remembering cars you and your friends have driven or owned . . . unlike some caching experiences, these series are different as it is experienced driven (and infinitely more fun with friends) vs. having the thrill of the hunt.

I still havent seen the photos of you all dressed as Star Wars characters....

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I am glad my Star Wars Series meant no motivation..... ;-)

Hehheh . . . no disrespect was intended . . . the motivation came from the fact that a bunch of local cachers had put out a bunch of caches and it spurred me to put out some caches for them to find . . . figured it wasn't fair for them to put out a bunch of caches and not have others put out caches for them to find.

As for inspiration . . . I tell ya . . . if you ever get to see the pics taken on the day we were down in your galaxy you would get a kick out of them -- there's nothing quite like seeing an overweight, bespectacled and balding middle-age guy wandering around the woods in a bathrobe while carrying a florescent orage broomstick while all the time claiming that the force is strong with him. ;) :)

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Because only one person would ever do a 100 stage multi. That would be the FTF. Personally, I would never do a 100 stage Multi... heck I don't do all that many multis myself! The experience of doing this kind of series is also fun because you get over 100 finds for your find count on GC.com when you do it. No one would come out to spend an entire day doing 100 finds if it only counted as 1 on GC.com. And heck it would take up way too much prime cache hiding spots. At least with this series of mine, I can archive an individual cache to make room for someone else to place something if they want.

Again, gotta agree with Chadd on this one . . . I doubt as many folks would make the trek down to the SW caches or up to the SMR caches for a 100-stage multi . . . like it or not many folks don't particularly care for multi-stage caches . . . even when it's only two or three stages, much less 100.

As an added potential negative . . . with that many stages all you need is to not find one cache and the whole day is kablooey since you can't progress to the next stage . . . not to mention how challenging it would be to maintain that many stages.

lexmano
05-24-2010, 11:36 AM
And to get back to the original thread.

I don't know if I could single out one cache . . . with only a few exceptions I like all of mine . . . and for many different reasons.

Some offer some great historical aspects (Before Lizzie Borden), some offer great views (I've Found My Thrill), some showcase a bit of my humor (Firefighterjake's Future Home), some offer a challenge to the searcher (Out Behind the School, Brier's Beach) and some are designed as very personal reminders (Out of the Ashes.)

This past year I had to archive a cache . . . the first time for me. It wasn't one of my most favorite caches, but I have to tell you I felt a bit sad to have to do so . . . then again, I kind of had to since it had been bulldozed and was 100 yards away from its original placement . . . under who knows how many tons of dirt, stumps and rocks.

No, I'm afraid I can't pick just one . . . and am glad we are not limited to putting out just a single cache every year.

GC13X0D RFD Cache, One of the best I have found yet!

brdad
05-24-2010, 11:49 AM

See, I don't think that is true. Some people would not do it, but there are some choosing not to do these series, either. When I placed Battleship, I feared no one would look for it either. I even got a few emails asking what the &%$@#&% was I thinking. But as they say, hide it and they will come. And they have. Maybe only 93, but those 93 have visited as many as 2418 locations to log those 93 finds.

Now I will admit, 100 stages is a lot, but four 25 stage multis would attract many I think. It would not attract cachers from afar to run up, find the caches and leave town for the numbers. but it would attract plenty of cachers I am sure. The Bangor area has several extensive multis which have several finds and good logs.

You definitely would not get as many found logs on a large multi than you would individual caches. But you would know then they came for the cache and not just to get a smiley.

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 02:08 PM

After reading the description.... was this, or was this not designed for Lexmano especially?

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 02:11 PM
See, I don't think that is true. Some people would not do it, but there are some choosing not to do these series, either. When I placed Battleship, I feared no one would look for it either. I even got a few emails asking what the &%$@#&% was I thinking. But as they say, hide it and they will come. And they have. Maybe only 93, but those 93 have visited as many as 2418 locations to log those 93 finds.

Now I will admit, 100 stages is a lot, but four 25 stage multis would attract many I think. It would not attract cachers from afar to run up, find the caches and leave town for the numbers. but it would attract plenty of cachers I am sure. The Bangor area has several extensive multis which have several finds and good logs.

You definitely would not get as many found logs on a large multi than you would individual caches. But you would know then they came for the cache and not just to get a smiley.

I'd like to know who is choosing NOT to come do these power run series? Well, aside from Brdad....

Have people come from other countries to do Battleship specifically? Or how about from 10-12 hours away, just to do yours? I get a few emails a week from people as far away as D.C. and Ohio who are planning to come to Maine to do the power runs and have questions about both my series and SMR. And they actually do come.... and you should read their logs...

As far as it being about the numbers...? Yup, it is and anyone who claims it isn't is full of crap. If it isn't about the numbers then why do we log our cache finds, and why does Geocaching.com post our numbers for all to see?

brdad
05-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I'd like to know who is choosing NOT to come do these power run series? Well, aside from Brdad....

Have people come from other countries to do Battleship specifically? Or how about from 10-12 hours away, just to do yours? I get a few emails a week from people as far away as D.C. and Ohio who are planning to come to Maine to do the power runs and have questions about both my series and SMR. And they actually do come.... and you should read their logs...

As far as it being about the numbers...? Yup, it is and anyone who claims it isn't is full of crap. If it isn't about the numbers then why do we log our cache finds, and why does Geocaching.com post our numbers for all to see?

An estimated 3-4 million cachers worldwide. Subtract how many cachers found your caches last week and that's how many avoided your caches last week. :p:p:p

I have had a few come from afar to do my caches, but I think they came to meet me as well (Check the 8/24/03 log by Planet from CT). A few others were vacationing here and when I mentioned a few of my caches, they made a point to try and get one or two. I will say six other cachers that I am aware of liked my Battleship idea and asked permission to place clones of it, two in Canada and one in the UK. Battleship Clones Bookmark List (http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=91de96be-3d1a-4bda-9806-65151acc1737). I think that says something, as do the logs on those caches.

I am agreeing with you, of course the possibility of getting 100 finds is going to attract more cachers than one multi. But the number of finds does not describe a cache. More people drink beer than Moxie, but that doesn't mean Moxie isn't better, because it is! :D

The only reason the numbers are posted on our gc.com pages is that there is no other option (short of not logging online, which many more than we think do). Check the national forums, there have been several attempts by cachers asking gc.com for the ability to hide their numbers and finds from the public's view. I know of a few cachers out west - where the numbers game was killing their fun - who edited their 2000+ found logs and changed them all to notes. If I was to start over, I would only log a smiley on the caches I would recommend to someone else. And I am too anal to change mid-stream, and too lazy to go back and edit! Maybe there should be 'found it' logs as well as 'found it and loved it' logs!

I do like MY numbers. Not the acquisition of numbers, and not the amount of numbers, but I do like to know how many I have done and where I have been. I love to look at my statistics and see what percentages I have and how many miles I have traveled and what elevations I have finds at. But I don't care if you have 100 or 10,000, and I don't care to have mine compared to yours. and before I get the question why do I have stats listed on my profile, it is because I help people off and on with that macro and placed it as a test. You can also note sometimes the numbers are skewed. :p

brdad
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
By the way, it's good to see a discussion go on where the people will most likely never agree, but no one has to get wound up about it. ;)

WhereRWe?
05-24-2010, 02:59 PM

WhereRWe? and RULost2? :D:D

Mainiac1957
05-24-2010, 03:05 PM
JAKE!! What happened during the Star Wars Series was supposed to STAY there....SHeesh!! :rolleyes:;):cool::D

Dave, Sorry.. I too am with Chadd on the 100 stage multi. I wouldn't do it. Not that it's about the number. OK it is about the numbers.:rolleyes:

Chadd, SW like the SMR have their place in the caching world of 2010. I did them and I would do it again if I had it to do over again. You and Mike as well as the four who placed the car series put a lot of effort into them.

Whether I place 100 caches all over the state on in a line. I don't see a whole lot of difference. I know when the puppies came out a few years back there were some cachers who said they wouldn't do them. I asked why and the answer was " Well because they aren't a challenge". OK so you're saying you don't do ANY guardrails then. "Well no". I see... It still comes down to play the game your own way. Filter out what you don't care to do and find the rest. There are 5900+ caches in Maine as of this morning. I'm sure we can satisfy most everyone with something they like.

OK Done Now...;)

brdad
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I may just have to hide a 100 stage multi now just to see who will do it!

As I said before, 100 stages is a lot. There are several multis with 40 or so stages. I remember Monster Nightmare being a bit of a disappointment, there was just way too much driving and back and forth. There is a limit for everyone.

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Thanks Lex . . . you made my day!

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 03:43 PM
I still havent seen the photos of you all dressed as Star Wars characters....

You'll have to see if Hiram Solo will release the photos . . . he still hasn't shown me the photos of the day either even though I've attempted to use my Jedi powers on him . . . apparently his mind is not as weak as I thought. ;):D

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 03:44 PM
After reading the description.... was this, or was this not designed for Lexmano especially?

I'm not sure . . . what does Lexmano do for a career?

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Dave I tend to agree with you on many points . . . but I would respectfully submit that there is a difference between your Battleship Cache series and doing a 100 or even 25-stage multi.

With the Battleship Cache series you take us to places where we answer questions . . . for the most part the information we find at these places will not be muggled or easily changed unless they replace the plaque, knock down a building, etc. vs. a multi-stage where there is a much greater chance of having a stage muggled.

The other issue is as I mentioned earlier . . . if you're doing your Battleship cache series it is not necessary to find each and every stage to complete this puzzle (although it may be fun to do so) vs. a multi-stage cache series where if one cache is MIA or cannot be found that's the end of the caching for that series.

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
JAKE!! What happened during the Star Wars Series was supposed to STAY there....SHeesh!! :rolleyes:;):cool::D

...;)

Sorry Obi Wan Maniac-obi . . . lured to the dark side of the force I was -- strong is the dark side. ;):D

P.S. I still have your light saber if you ever need it.

firefighterjake
05-24-2010, 03:56 PM
I may just have to hide a 100 stage multi now just to see who will do it!

As I said before, 100 stages is a lot. There are several multis with 40 or so stages. I remember Monster Nightmare being a bit of a disappointment, there was just way too much driving and back and forth. There is a limit for everyone.

I think this illustrates a point being made Dave . . . folks reach a point where it is too much . . . I know I started this and stopped . . . and other cachers were telling me to simply skip it . . . to the point where they gave me rough directions as to where to look for the final cache.

There has to be a suitable "reward" and when it comes to doing the 100+ power runs, like it or not, the reward for some folks is getting a whole bunch of Smileys . . . at least that may be the initial motivation . . . doing it with other cachers and having a fun day is what makes the experience memorable.

I don't believe you would be able to get as many folks motivated to do a 100-stage multi as the initial reward just wouldn't be there . . . sure, it may be a fun experience to do it with a bunch of friends, but just convincing folks to start the cache series would be a challenge . . . and knowing that if just one single cache is DNFed would spell the end of finding the final cache (after having driven a long distance) would most certainly lead many folks to never start the cache.

brdad
05-24-2010, 04:13 PM
That is true, I intentionally used virtual stages for Battleship because I didn't want a maintenance nightmare. There were other reasons which are no longer valid due to gc.com guidelines changes, but that is beside the point.

I think that is probably one of the major reasons both Lee and myself like the multis. We like the risk of not finding one of the stages; one find on a 10 stage multi is more adventuresome to us than 10 'guaranteed' finds. To each his own here, but I will still maintain the comparable multi will more often than not create more memories - But less smileys!

This whole multi discussion actually brings up another thought. If a person were only able to hide one a year, there might be more multis because a hider could have several hides that way; a loophole of sorts. But if all or most hid multis for that reason, people probably would lose interest. Variety is key.

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 10:29 PM

Dave, Sorry.. I too am with Chadd on the 100 stage multi. I wouldn't do it. Not that it's about the number. OK it is about the numbers.:rolleyes:

Chadd, SW like the SMR have their place in the caching world of 2010. I did them and I would do it again if I had it to do over again. You and Mike as well as the four who placed the car series put a lot of effort into them.

Whether I place 100 caches all over the state on in a line. I don't see a whole lot of difference. I know when the puppies came out a few years back there were some cachers who said they wouldn't do them. I asked why and the answer was " Well because they aren't a challenge". OK so you're saying you don't do ANY guardrails then. "Well no". I see... It still comes down to play the game your own way. Filter out what you don't care to do and find the rest. There are 5900+ caches in Maine as of this morning. I'm sure we can satisfy most everyone with something they like.

OK Done Now...;)

Glad we are back to agreeing again, Brad! ;-)

I myself have various kinds of caches. I don't think any one type of hide personifies my cache hiding style. As I said, I look at my Star Wars series, Mikes SMR and the new run in Central Maine as giant 100+ stage event-multis! Only each cache counts as a seperate find... and when I say event, I say that because we get the most enjoyment out of doing them when we do them as a team, or a group of cachers and make an "event" out of it, just as you, Hiram, FirefighterJake and Connie did when you came down to my area for Star Wars, and just as Marcipanek, Jessyka59 and I did when we did SMR! Those series' really are not that fun if you aren't doing them as a group...

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure . . . what does Lexmano do for a career?

High powered, Joe Borenstien type attorney.... so I'll probably get sued for my comment ( nah, him and I are friends so probably not...)

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 10:32 PM
You'll have to see if Hiram Solo will release the photos . . . he still hasn't shown me the photos of the day either even though I've attempted to use my Jedi powers on him . . . apparently his mind is not as weak as I thought. ;):D

If the photos are not released by Noon on Friday May 28, I will be deleting all of your found logs for the Star Wars series... ;-)

CARoperPhotography
05-24-2010, 10:33 PM
That is true, I intentionally used virtual stages for Battleship because I didn't want a maintenance nightmare. There were other reasons which are no longer valid due to gc.com guidelines changes, but that is beside the point.

I think that is probably one of the major reasons both Lee and myself like the multis. We like the risk of not finding one of the stages; one find on a 10 stage multi is more adventuresome to us than 10 'guaranteed' finds. To each his own here, but I will still maintain the comparable multi will more often than not create more memories - But less smileys!

This whole multi discussion actually brings up another thought. If a person were only able to hide one a year, there might be more multis because a hider could have several hides that way; a loophole of sorts. But if all or most hid multis for that reason, people probably would lose interest. Variety is key.

When Iampaw, Martes, HockeyMom and I did "The Agonizer" last fall, we never did find the next to last stage but we still found the final.... we are smart like that ;-)

Hiram357
05-25-2010, 06:33 AM

ahh not one with the force you are.... :p

dubord207
05-25-2010, 06:38 AM
I didn't see this discussion yesterday. So here's my 2 cents worth.

First, lexmano is the antithesis of Joe Bornstein. If you see Ed on TV it will be about caching. By the way, Ed's done 46 of the 48 lower states which is no small achievement.

Two of my most favorite caches have to be Battleship and The Lair of Serious Tool. But now I will add Bruce's Micro in the Woods. Not everybody would ever agree but these are three different caches that reflect three different personalities. If you've done all of them then you'll understand my comment.

The power runs are not always about the numbers but can be. There are a lot of logs about the fun of being with fellow cachers for these "series" type caches. There's no denying that if you are about 60 caches from a major milestone, a day chasing these caches will get you where you need to be. I think it's disingenuous to deny feeling a level of satisfaction when you hit the bigger milestones and a milestone is a reflection of hitting a NUMBER so the count if undeniably part of the game.

And this thread now has more twists than any multi I've done!;)

brdad
05-25-2010, 07:09 AM
The power runs are not always about the numbers but can be. There are a lot of logs about the fun of being with fellow cachers for these "series" type caches. There's no denying that if you are about 60 caches from a major milestone, a day chasing these caches will get you where you need to be. I think it's disingenuous to deny feeling a level of satisfaction when you hit the bigger milestones and a milestone is a reflection of hitting a NUMBER so the count if undeniably part of the game.

The only issue I take here is a group should be able to have fun finding any cache(s). I was part of a large group that went and found 3 caches on Monhegan which was fun. Lee and I went with the pjprebs to Gulf Hagus and had a great time. And then there is the recent trip to Halfmile. I'm assuming if a bunch of us hopped in a bus and drove to Madawaska and found one cache which was the lamest GRC possible we'd still have a good time. A few times a bunch of us local cachers have met up at a local restaurant for dinner (no finds involved) and had a good time. It's not the series caches that create the fun, it is the cachers.

And if 1000 means more to a given cacher than 999 or 437 or 162 than that is fine for them. For me, every cache is a milestone of some sort, the major ones are the caches which challenge me - physically or mentally. When I get to the peak of a tough climb or locate a tricky hide and get that feeling of accomplishment - that's one of my major milestones. Sometimes they come one after the other, sometimes they take many finds. I'm often lousy with analogies, but let's compare it to Rick's trek. 2,178 miles. One person could easily claim each 100 miles is a milestone, another person may use individual mountain peaks, another may use the shelters as milestones. When I take a trip out of state I don't watch the odometer and speak out 100 miles! 200 miles! 300 miles! as we pass by, instead I note state lines.

The funny part is, beer hasn't been mentioned once!
oops!

firefighterjake
05-25-2010, 07:45 AM
ahh not one with the force you are.... :p

Aw c'mon Hiram . . . you don't have to post a picture with you and your blaster or Connie with the trash can on her head as R2D2 even . . . just post one . . . it was fun doing the pictures . . . the world deserves to see them. ;):D

firefighterjake
05-25-2010, 07:49 AM
. . .

The funny part is, beer hasn't been mentioned once!
oops!

Speaking of "favorite" things . . . hey Hiram . . . you know how we often stop for ice cream after a long weekend of camping and caching . . . here's an ice cream recipe just for you.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/bottomsup/2007/07/25/guinness-ice-cream-believe-it/

hollora
05-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Speaking of "favorite" things . . . hey Hiram . . . you know how we often stop for ice cream after a long weekend of camping and caching . . . here's an ice cream recipe just for you.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/bottomsup/2007/07/25/guinness-ice-cream-believe-it/

I'd be game for making that - I love to make ice cream and have a freeze (cept it's a hand crank one).

CARoperPhotography
05-25-2010, 05:46 PM
I didn't see this discussion yesterday. So here's my 2 cents worth.

First, lexmano is the antithesis of Joe Bornstein. If you see Ed on TV it will be about caching. By the way, Ed's done 46 of the 48 lower states which is no small achievement.

Two of my most favorite caches have to be Battleship and The Lair of Serious Tool. But now I will add Bruce's Micro in the Woods. Not everybody would ever agree but these are three different caches that reflect three different personalities. If you've done all of them then you'll understand my comment.

My Lexmano-Boreinstein crack was me being facietious. Nothing more nothing less. And I am sure that Ed knows it...

And Dan, thank you for your compliment on my Lair of Serious Tool cache :-)

merenner
05-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Again, gotta agree with Chadd on this one . . . I doubt as many folks would make the trek down to the SW caches or up to the SMR caches for a 100-stage multi . . . like it or not many folks don't particularly care for multi-stage caches . . . even when it's only two or three stages, much less 100.

As an added potential negative . . . with that many stages all you need is to not find one cache and the whole day is kablooey since you can't progress to the next stage . . . not to mention how challenging it would be to maintain that many stages.

There’s just something about a challenge though, that some folks just can’t walk away from. This cache, GC18KF7 The Ultimate Levittown Multi-cache, is one that I have been working on since it came out in January of 08, as have several of the “big number” cachers down in Philly. For me it is no different than the Fizzy’s or Alphanumeric. There are only 42 stages, but each one of them is unique, camoed and deliberately meant to make you work for it. I have been to stage 15, 7 times. And every stage I find puts me 1 closer to saying “I FOUND IT”. Does it ruin the day when a stage is not found, no. It spurs me on. And when I log the my final, I’ll have added 1 to my numbers, and it will be one of the sweetest finds of my 2000+

CARoperPhotography
05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
There’s just something about a challenge though, that some folks just can’t walk away from. This cache, GC18KF7 The Ultimate Levittown Multi-cache, is one that I have been working on since it came out in January of 08, as have several of the “big number” cachers down in Philly. For me it is no different than the Fizzy’s or Alphanumeric. There are only 42 stages, but each one of them is unique, camoed and deliberately meant to make you work for it. I have been to stage 15, 7 times. And every stage I find puts me 1 closer to saying “I FOUND IT”. Does it ruin the day when a stage is not found, no. It spurs me on. And when I log the my final, I’ll have added 1 to my numbers, and it will be one of the sweetest finds of my 2000+

Nice! Maureen is on the Forum now!!!!

merenner
05-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Some one's gotta give you a run for your money Chadd.

CARoperPhotography
05-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Everyone else here tries to discredit me, but so far, they have proven to be amateurs.

brdad
05-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Everyone else here tries to discredit me, but so far, they have proven to be amateurs.

Actually, one person has done a great job at that. You are your own worst enemy.

CARoperPhotography
05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Actually, one person has done a great job at that. You are your own worst enemy.

I think most of you feel threatened and intimidated by a new cacher here, who actually speaks his mind, uses reason and logic, and was born after the great depression unlike the majority ;-)

brdad
05-26-2010, 04:44 PM
I think most of you feel threatened and intimidated by a new cacher here, who actually speaks his mind, uses reason and logic, and was born after the great depression unlike the majority ;-)

Thanks for proving my point! :D

Anyway, back on topic ... what was the topic ... old age, the memory is going ... oh yeah, back in the depression geocaching was tough! I'd tell more but I forgot!

LaughingTerry
05-26-2010, 05:09 PM

I have to disagree with you on that. I want to see people put out caches who WANT to put out caches. People who enjoy putting out caches. Not people who do it because they think they should. That way we get better caches and better experiences in better locations.

I did 95 caches in one day by motorcycle and it was an accomplishment. I did over 50 of the car caches with my foot in a fracture boot and that was an accomplishment. I did 101 on Stud Mill Rd with Shewolf and that was an accomplishment. I climbed Coburn MT for a FTF and got one smiley that day. It was still an accomplishment. I worked my way through a swamp for a cache let me tell you, THAT was an accomplishment. I enjoy most caches that I do and if I don't think much of one I probably made up for it with a couple more anyway. LOL

WhereRWe?
05-26-2010, 05:23 PM
I have to disagree with you on that. I want to see people put out caches who WANT to put out caches. People who enjoy putting out caches. Not people who do it because they think they should. That way we get better caches and better experiences in better locations.

I agree with you, Terry. Saying that cachers should put out caches is like saying that people who go to football games should play football, or, even better, that people who play golf should open also open golf courses.

IT's NOT ABOUT THE NUMBERS!!!

:D:D

firefighterjake
05-27-2010, 07:38 AM
LT/WhereRWe . . . I guess I kind of look at folks placing caches as "giving" back to the hobby . . . now I know there are other ways of contributing to the sport, but to me the most effective way of giving back and keeping this sport going is to place a cache for others to find . . .

When I see a person with a bazillion finds and zero to no cache hides I wonder if they simply don't want to take the time and money to hide a cache . . . I would find it hard to believe that a person cannot find a single, unique place to hide a cache.

WhereRWe?
05-27-2010, 04:36 PM
When I see a person with a bazillion finds and zero to no cache hides I wonder if they simply don't want to take the time and money to hide a cache . . . I would find it hard to believe that a person cannot find a single, unique place to hide a cache.

Each of our caches is placed for a reason: scenic spot, historical significance, interesting geography/construction. None of them was placed at a stop sign or guardrail "just because". They're traditional caches with swag, real log books, and are big enough to place most travel bugs. And we maintain our caches.

Yes, we could put out more caches, and we intend to one of these days. But we prefer quality over quantity.

You could also argue that geocachers should give back by sponsoring a geocaching event once in a while. You could probably count on your fingers how many GCM.org cachers have sponsored events. Well - at least on fingers and toes both. Which makes about 20 people - less than 1 percent of GCM.org members. :D:D

brdad
05-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Looks like about 50 different people from what I can see, depending on how you want to count the people who keep editing their names because they forget spaces, etc... And remember, when figuring percentages compared to gcmaine members, a large percentage of those members do not live in Maine.

Still a relatively low number, but events are not for some, like me. The likelihood that I'll host an event is probably lower than the likelihood I'll hide a GRC. :p I am a lousy host.

OwnerName Count(*)
88SeriesIII 1
AbbysGrammy 2
Beach Comber 1
Blazing Trolls 7
Bluegrass Gyrl 1
Bounty Hunter 1
Cache Maine 3
Ekidokai 4
Emmy-n-Sapphie 1
Geochicks 2
Gob-ler 2
Hawk Chucker 1
Hiram357 5
Hondohawk 1
J_Cyr 2
Kaching Karen 6
Kacky 9
Katadin Goddess 3
M.G.A 21
MARTES 3
Merryspring 1
Nick~MacCache 1
Northwoods Explorer 5
Quilting Mom 1
Quilting mom and MIke 2
ScottJenColleen 1
SeriousTool 1
Sudonim 1
TAT 8
TEAM NAB 1
Team DeLorme 2
Team Norac, Maine 1
Team Richards 1
Team2hunt 3
TeamHorwich 5
We3Beans 1
WhereRWe? & RULOST2? 1
WhereRWe? and RULOST2? 4
WhereRWe?and RULOST2? 1
firefighterjake 1
flwrldyandbuds 2
hide_from_the_kids 1
hoamdezinahs 2
hollora 3
jvillefamily 1
kayakerinme 2
kayaking loon 2
madjim 1
mainiac1957 17
merenner 1
pjpreb 1
robt 2
teamdozer12 1
vicbiker 3

WhereRWe?
05-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Looks like about 50 different people from what I can see, depending on how you want to count the people who keep editing their names because they forget spaces, etc... And remember, when figuring percentages compared to gcmaine members, a large percentage of those members do not live in Maine.

But if you look closely, a lot of those events are under the auspices of the "Maine Geocaching Association", not GeocachingMaine.org (21 alone listed under MGA).

And an event can involve a lot of work. The Pirate events, the "Laste Cache Bashe" events, the recent Aloha event, and the 10 yr event in Brewer come to mind. That's one reason I suggested the Sunday breakfast events. No planning, no expense, just a gathering of geocachers. :D:D

CARoperPhotography
05-27-2010, 05:28 PM
How many events hosted have featured BEER???

BY my count (please correct me if I am wrong) me (SeriousTool) and 88Series have beer event caches...

merenner
05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Based on his post I assume brdad is only counting those events hosted in Maine.

WhereRWe?
05-27-2010, 05:36 PM
How many events hosted have featured BEER???

BY my count (please correct me if I am wrong) me (SeriousTool) and 88Series have beer event caches...

Wrong. Mainiac1957 has hosted a couple of "Beer and Wings" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e61f180e-68e7-4702-9d16-a7490815ecf7) events.

brdad
05-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure how an association with the MGA has any bearing. Many of their members are members here as well.

Based on his post I assume brdad is only counting those events hosted in Maine.

Correct, only Maine events.

WhereRWe?
05-27-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure how an association with the MGA has any bearing. Many of their members are members here as well.

My point was the number of GCM.org members who have hosted an event. I suggested 20, you posted a figure of 50+. Discount the 21 by MGA (can't count it if it isn't a GCM.org event...), leaves 29.

And I'll make the effort to identify people on the list who are not GCM.org members:

Team Norac
Emmy-n-Sapphie
Nick~MacCache
teamdozer12

Which leaves 25 GCM.org members - close enough to my suggested 20 I'll concede 2.5 percent of our members have hosted events rather than 2 percent! LOL! :p:p

Mainiac1957
05-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Wrong. Mainiac1957 has hosted a couple of "Beer and Wings" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e61f180e-68e7-4702-9d16-a7490815ecf7) events.

Quilting Mom has hosted 3

Resurrecting Beer and Wings (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=abf8715f-fa10-4491-b2fe-5e6549586d49) (GC15Y3R) by Quilting mom and MIke (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=740469) (1/1)
Beer and Wings Sea Dog Style (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ab058333-0116-4843-b1dc-65caa7c3dd8b) (GC1G3X8) by Quilting Mom and Mike (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=740469) (1/1)
Beer and Wings Sea Dog Style (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=702abc5c-1473-4d54-9a5c-7ce72efa3ccf) (GC1ZDH3) by Quilting Mom (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=740469) (1/1)

WhereRWe?
05-27-2010, 07:18 PM

Resurrecting Beer and Wings (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=abf8715f-fa10-4491-b2fe-5e6549586d49) (GC15Y3R) by Quilting mom and MIke (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=740469) (1/1)
Beer and Wings Sea Dog Style (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ab058333-0116-4843-b1dc-65caa7c3dd8b) (GC1G3X8) by Quilting Mom and Mike (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=740469) (1/1)
Beer and Wings Sea Dog Style (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=702abc5c-1473-4d54-9a5c-7ce72efa3ccf) (GC1ZDH3) by Quilting Mom (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=740469) (1/1)

Right. So CARoper is wrong, as usual. LOL! ;);)

Mainiac1957
05-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Right. So CARoper is wrong, as usual. LOL! ;);)

No Bruce, that wasn't my point. I was just stating the facts. I prefer to say he was misinformed.

CARoperPhotography
05-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I prefer I was ignorant of the facts :-) Good to see more cachers like beer, than I thought!

Hiram357
05-27-2010, 07:56 PM

and let's not forget... ohhh... every TL event... :rolleyes::D:D:D

Mainiac1957
05-27-2010, 08:09 PM
and let's not forget... ohhh... every TL event... :rolleyes::D:D:D

Yes Aaron.....Tread Lightly, Drink Heavily

CARoperPhotography
05-27-2010, 08:28 PM
We should have a drinking multi stage cache where you have to drink a beer at every stage.... now THAT would be a GREAT 100 stager!

shuman road searchers
05-27-2010, 09:21 PM
We should have a drinking multi stage cache where you have to drink a beer at every stage.... now THAT would be a GREAT 100 stager!

You would find me in the morning at stage 8!LOL!!:D Yeah, I am a lightweight!

CARoperPhotography
05-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Don't feel bad, I'd be back in the Jeep sleeping after stage 2...

Hiram357
05-27-2010, 09:50 PM

You would find me there in the morning too... except I'd probably be on my 3rd or 4th time doing the cache over again... :D:D

CARoperPhotography
05-27-2010, 10:13 PM
How well can you operate the 357 after 300-400 caches... I mean beers?

Hiram357
05-28-2010, 11:40 AM
How well can you operate the 357 after 300-400 caches... I mean beers?

bah, the thing practically operates itself! :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

firefighterjake
06-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Each of our caches is placed for a reason: scenic spot, historical significance, interesting geography/construction. None of them was placed at a stop sign or guardrail "just because". They're traditional caches with swag, real log books, and are big enough to place most travel bugs. And we maintain our caches.

Yes, we could put out more caches, and we intend to one of these days. But we prefer quality over quantity.

You could also argue that geocachers should give back by sponsoring a geocaching event once in a while. You could probably count on your fingers how many GCM.org cachers have sponsored events. Well - at least on fingers and toes both. Which makes about 20 people - less than 1 percent of GCM.org members. :D:D

To me it's not a quantity vs. quality type of thing . . . I simply find it hard to believe that someone can not find one single unique place to hide a cache in all their travels.

And you're right . . . I would rather someone not hide a cache vs. hide a cache in a lamp post or guard rail . . . but that said there are so many beautiful views along roads . . . so many public parks . . . so many interesting areas.

I have always felt that to the folks with a bazillion finds and no cache hides that the issue is simply that they do not want to take the time to find and hide a cache and maintain the cache . . .

P.S. For the record . . . I enjoyed the historical location you brought us to at your micro cache in the woods. Neat bit of history.

firefighterjake
06-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Stage 2 or Stage 3 for me . . . and you would either find me there waxing on and on about some trivial topic, professing my undying love for my wife or I would be sound asleep. ;):D

WhereRWe?
06-01-2010, 08:35 AM
P.S. For the record . . . I enjoyed the historical location you brought us to at your micro cache in the woods. Neat bit of history.

When we me TandemStoker at that location a couple of weeks ago, we discussed the history of The Somerset Railway, and I mentioned a book that I had read on the subject: "The Old Somerset Railroad (http://books.google.com/books?id=fSditumPSjYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+old+somerset+railroad&source=bl&ots=MZ_Ukpi7XS&sig=P1n8jmn4A-FLFcx63e-7KiAYRGw&hl=en&ei=F_4ETKvsFoK88ganivXwDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false)", by Walter M. MacDougall. I looked for it at the time and couldn't find it, but your mention of history prompted me to look until I found it! LOL!

It's quite a story of a railroad through the woods - Oakland to Mt. Kineo on Moosehead Lake. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple more caches along the route before Laughing Terry has all the good locations locked in! LOL!

brdad
06-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Amazon says they have it

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0892724927/ref=nosim/nstatewebsitedes

hollora
06-01-2010, 10:08 AM
When we me TandemStoker at that location a couple of weeks ago, we discussed the history of The Somerset Railway, and I mentioned a book that I had read on the subject: "The Old Somerset Railroad (http://books.google.com/books?id=fSditumPSjYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+old+somerset+railroad&source=bl&ots=MZ_Ukpi7XS&sig=P1n8jmn4A-FLFcx63e-7KiAYRGw&hl=en&ei=F_4ETKvsFoK88ganivXwDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false)", by Walter M. MacDougall. I looked for it at the time and couldn't find it, but your mention of history prompted me to look until I found it! LOL!

It's quite a story of a railroad through the woods - Oakland to Mt. Kineo on Moosehead Lake. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple more caches along the route before Laughing Terry has all the good locations locked in! LOL!

Thanks for the link - and the Micro in the Woods along the old line.

teamdozer12
06-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Hey, I AM a GCM.org member!! :) (Since 2007) I just haven't been on in awhile! ;)

My point was the number of GCM.org members who have hosted an event. I suggested 20, you posted a figure of 50+. Discount the 21 by MGA (can't count it if it isn't a GCM.org event...), leaves 29.

And I'll make the effort to identify people on the list who are not GCM.org members:

Team Norac
Emmy-n-Sapphie
Nick~MacCache
teamdozer12

Which leaves 25 GCM.org members - close enough to my suggested 20 I'll concede 2.5 percent of our members have hosted events rather than 2 percent! LOL! :p:p

brdad
06-30-2010, 06:32 AM
I missed your name on that list, teamdozer12, I knew you are a member, you even visited chat on several occasions.