View Full Version : RE: Geocaching/ATVing Event

firefighterjake
05-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Last year I decided to host a geocaching/ATVing event . . . but canceled it for a variety of reasons . . . including the fact that at one point it appeared as though there was only going to be three people there.

However, this year I am giving some serious thought to trying to host it for real this time around.

I'm thinking of setting it up for The County as I'm pretty sure I can get a campground right next to the extensive trail system, non-ATVers could stop by if they so choose and it seems as though there are 10-14 trailside caches that could be done in the area.

Anyone interested in the concept . . . besides you Hiram . . . I know you would be interested.

Hiram357
05-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Last year I decided to host a geocaching/ATVing event . . . but canceled it for a variety of reasons . . . including the fact that at one point it appeared as though there was only going to be three people there.

However, this year I am giving some serious thought to trying to host it for real this time around.

I'm thinking of setting it up for The County as I'm pretty sure I can get a campground right next to the extensive trail system, non-ATVers could stop by if they so choose and it seems as though there are 10-14 trailside caches that could be done in the area.

Anyone interested in the concept . . . besides you Hiram . . . I know you would be interested.

atvs are lame... I want a pottery event! :p

LaughingTerry
05-27-2010, 08:26 PM
I have a Rokon that can go anywhere your ATV can and some places it can't but it couldn't keep up since it does about 18 mph tops. The 4 wheeler I have (Kodiak 4x4) goes fine but has no brakes. LOL

By the way, On the trails up in Moscow there are now a lot of caches that can be gotten by 4 wheeler.

Hiram357
05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
I have a Rokon that can go anywhere your ATV can and some places it can't but it couldn't keep up since it does about 18 mph tops. The 4 wheeler I have (Kodiak 4x4) goes fine but has no brakes. LOL

By the way, On the trails up in Moscow there are now a lot of caches that can be gotten by 4 wheeler.

I almost bought one of those a few years back! but the whoe 18mph thing was quite a turnoff... do you have the wheels that are also the beer ke... i mean extra water and fuel storage?

and bring the kodiak! just make sure to ride behind someone that does have brakes! :D:D:D

JustKev
05-28-2010, 12:30 AM
and bring the kodiak! just make sure to ride behind someone that does have brakes! :D:D:D

Or in front of someone with a long, strong rope.

shuman road searchers
05-28-2010, 06:01 AM
atvs are lame... I want a pottery event! :p

Just so happens that I have worked in the pottery business for 23 years so....

LaughingTerry
05-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Here is mine. A guy is driving up from Mass to buy it this weekend. (probably)
http://images.craigslist.org/3n63kf3p25O35Z25X4a55749c64b6391219a4.jpg
Some guy put a 340 snowmobile motor in one. It goes a lot faster than 18 mph. If he didn't kill himself on it. LOL
I have seen pictures of others with Honda 125 and 175 cc motors in them too.

Hiram357
05-28-2010, 06:31 AM
Here is mine. A guy is driving up from Mass to buy it this weekend. (probably)
http://images.craigslist.org/3n63kf3p25O35Z25X4a55749c64b6391219a4.jpg
Some guy put a 340 snowmobile motor in one. It goes a lot faster than 18 mph. If he didn't kill himself on it. LOL
I have seen pictures of others with Honda 125 and 175 cc motors in them too.

nice! I can't imagine them being too stable over 20mph though....:D

Hiram357
05-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Just so happens that I have worked in the pottery business for 23 years so....

so does that mean you'll host it?? ;):D

firefighterjake
06-01-2010, 08:33 AM

Ah, brakes are over-rated . . . I went most of last year without brakes . . . of course they usually had me leading the rides. ;):D On a serious note . . . the Honda I ride shifts down to a granny gear which is nearly as effective as brakes and in fairness I had some brakes . . . just not much. This was fixed last Fall though.

Ah yes . . . geocaches and ATVing in Moscow . . . so I noticed after this past weekend . . .

firefighterjake
06-01-2010, 08:36 AM
so does that mean you'll host it?? ;):D

Hmmm . . . I think I would have to attend a pottery caching event just to see Hiram making ceramic beer steins . . . or attempting to do so.;):D

firefighterjake
06-01-2010, 08:42 AM

I didn't know what a Rokon was until I looked it up (and then of course I scrolled down and saw your own Rokon) . . . at which point I remembered seeing one when I was just a kid.

18 mph . . . way too slow . . . that's about the speed that Hiram goes . . . when he's trying to tick me off . . . or re-enact the ride we went on in Liberty recently.;):D

LaughingTerry
06-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Well, I sold the Rokon Saturday. Now I need to find one or two junk ones that don't run or are missing parts. I want to build one with a motorcycle engine that will keep up with the 4 wheelers. Have the only 2x2 in the group. LOL

firefighterjake
06-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Hmmm . . . you got me thinking LT . . . I'm still leaning towards doing this event in the County, but the Moscow area is quite nice too.

Do you happen to have a list or map showing ATV trails with caches right next to them . . . in looking at the County it seemed as though there were 14 caches along the trails -- mostly in the PI area.

Also, what campgrounds are in the area?

al'Thor
06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I would be interested in attending this event. Have not had much time to cache with two small kids and full time work. I would love to "get away" for a day or two for some caching and wheeling. It all depends on the weekend. I work every other one.

merenner
06-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Pottery event?! Oh, OH pick me, pick me! I wannna go, I wanna go!!

firefighterjake
06-03-2010, 07:52 AM
I would be interested in attending this event. Have not had much time to cache with two small kids and full time work. I would love to "get away" for a day or two for some caching and wheeling. It all depends on the weekend. I work every other one.

I hear ya . . . I tend to plan my "fun" weekends every other weekend since my wife works every other weekend . . . weeks when she works I play and when she is home we both work on the house.

firefighterjake
06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
So I'm starting to think more on holding this event . . . for those folks who might actually attend this event . . . and specifically for those folks who not only want to attend such an event, but also ride an ATV . . . what dates work for you?

I know summer weekends get busy fast . . . so perhaps what I'm really asking is what dates would not work for folks.

firefighterjake
06-16-2010, 07:55 AM
So I'm thinking again . . .

For folks who might be interested . . . either in riding or simply stopping by to say hi and get a Smiley . . .

-----------------------------

How does Presque Isle sound for a location?

In looking at a map it appears as though there are 10 ATV accessible caches in the PI/Mapleton/Stockholm area.

I know Laughing Terry mentioned caches in the Moscow area along the trail . . . this may be a contender as well . . . but I would need to know if there was a nearby camping area/campground and if these caches are in fact along the trail . . . perhaps Terry or someone who lives there could give me some more info.

If anyone has any ideas on other places that would have a large number of caches accessible by ATVs . . . with camping on the trail or nearby I would love to hear from them since I'm not locked into any place or date yet.

----------------------------------

As for a date . . . I have a couple dates in mind . . . July 24th or August 7th . . . I understand that the Tread Lightly event may be on August 21st just as a FYI. Either of these dates conflict with anyone's schedule?

--------------------------------

As for what the plan was . . . I was thinking of riding on Saturday morning and afternoon . . . and holding the actual event in the early evening . . . say around 6 p.m. or so in case folks just wanted to come for the event . . . and then ride the following day.

JustKev
06-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Too bad my old ATV is only set up for one rider....well, that and I work retail so I usually can't plan on weekend events too far in advance. Sounds like fun.

LaughingTerry
06-17-2010, 06:42 AM
I don't know about campgrounds. Most people go out there and just pick an open spot to set up camp. Sometimes there may be people camping within a few feet of one of my caches. I don't have any maps of there either. Sorry