View Full Version : interesting cache placement

cano
06-02-2010, 03:19 PM
This cache is accessible only when a train is passing by. You have to wait for a train to get the cache. And if you are not able to log it and put it back while train is passing by you must wait for another train to be able to put it back :)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d2af1d17-8f2b-4d37-92bc-f4c7f5902f2d

NativeMainer
06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Hmmm... I can't access the page. Was the cache taken down? GC.com has a rule about caches being at least 150 feet away from active railroads.

EDIT: Whoops! Never mind, I forgot GC.com was down for maintenance when I tried to access it. I'll have to take a look at it when the site's back up.

cano
06-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Hmmm... I can't access the page. Was the cache taken down? GC.com has a rule about caches being at least 150 feet away from active railroads.

EDIT: Whoops! Never mind, I forgot GC.com was down for maintenance when I tried to access it. I'll have to take a look at it when the site's back up.

Yes GC is down for maintenance at this moment. GC rules doesn't apply in Slovakia :P

CARoperPhotography
06-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Yes GC is down for maintenance at this moment. GC rules doesn't apply in Slovakia :P

Maybe I need to move to Slovakia!

Cano, can we get a translation of the cache listing? I'd like to know how this works...

CARoperPhotography
06-02-2010, 11:36 PM
What's odd about it is that it is part of a series of caches placed to celebrate the 10 Year Birthday of Geocaching.... I wonder if it has special Groundspeak approval? If so, I wonder why their Guidelines don't apply...

cano
06-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Maybe I need to move to Slovakia!

Cano, can we get a translation of the cache listing? I'd like to know how this works...
There is English translation under each paragraph, but it doesn't say how it works, you must figure out on site. Nano cache is placed on railway gate and when the gate is open cache is high inaccessible. When a train approaches the gate is lowered to close the road and you can reach the cache. There will be plenty of muggles waiting in cars as well as passengers in train. See the gallery. I love this idea.
But this is nothing to compare to another cache the same guy placed. You have to cross the railway bridge to get to the cache and there is enough room just for the train, so you better check train schedule if you can't run 100mph, cache is in a river with very strong current, you have to jump down, with a rope attached, so even if you survive the bridge you will be taken by river :) Now that's how caching should be, not some stupid GRC :)

cano
06-02-2010, 11:55 PM
What's odd about it is that it is part of a series of caches placed to celebrate the 10 Year Birthday of Geocaching.... I wonder if it has special Groundspeak approval? If so, I wonder why their Guidelines don't apply...

Local rules and regulations always apply, we don't have any regulations about railways, you can do what ever you want there. You must not interfere with functionality of course. If you get hit by a train it's your problem.

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 12:15 AM
There is English translation under each paragraph, but it doesn't say how it works, you must figure out on site. Nano cache is placed on railway gate and when the gate is open cache is high inaccessible. When a train approaches the gate is lowered to close the road and you can reach the cache. There will be plenty of muggles waiting in cars as well as passengers in train. See the gallery. I love this idea.
But this is nothing to compare to another cache the same guy placed. You have to cross the railway bridge to get to the cache and there is enough room just for the train, so you better check train schedule if you can't run 100mph, cache is in a river with very strong current, you have to jump down, with a rope attached, so even if you survive the bridge you will be taken by river :) Now that's how caching should be, not some stupid GRC :)

This is hilarious!

hollora
06-03-2010, 12:24 AM
Didn't translate it but looks like already it needs maintenance...............

cano
06-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Didn't translate it but looks like already it needs maintenance...............

Just log book is full

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Just log book is full

SO I see that the Slovakians have the same issue with cachers as we do here in Maine... that is, cachers logging needs maintenance for simple things like log books being full or wet. I am tired of these logs here, and have started emailing cachers who do post these types of logs, asking them to just email me or to go and replace the log yourself. There is nothing worse than some cacher who has 6000 finds and has been caching for 8 years, who posts that I need to run out to a Star Wars Cache to replace the log.... bring some replacement logs when you go caching! If you have that many finds, you have a lot of experience....and I would hope, a modicum of intelligence and common sense. I bring replacement logs with me everywhere along with baggies for them of all sizes. I am constantly doing maintenance on others caches!

brdad
06-03-2010, 11:22 AM
If the "needs maintenance" log is not for the purpose of indicating a cache needs maintenance, as in the case of full logs, what is it for?

I don't generally bring replacement logs with me, or baggies or cache containers. I commend those that do, but it's just my choice. Expecting someone else to maintain your cache is wrong IMO. I have on a few occasions, twice I think, brought a replacement cache to a cache I knew was damaged, Maine's Resident Rock Star and Monhegan Magic. Actually, 3 - I replaced a GRC once!

It's nice when people are willing to help out, but if you can't maintain your own caches you have probably placed enough.

Anyway, back to the original topic, this is a neat idea, sounds like it is on the end of a gate that lifts, too bad we can't do caches like that here.

http://lighthousehobbies.com/ViewFullImage.aspx

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 01:45 PM
If the "needs maintenance" log is not for the purpose of indicating a cache needs maintenance, as in the case of full logs, what is it for?

I don't generally bring replacement logs with me, or baggies or cache containers. I commend those that do, but it's just my choice. Expecting someone else to maintain your cache is wrong IMO. I have on a few occasions, twice I think, brought a replacement cache to a cache I knew was damaged, Maine's Resident Rock Star and Monhegan Magic. Actually, 3 - I replaced a GRC once!

It's nice when people are willing to help out, but if you can't maintain your own caches you have probably placed enough.

Anyway, back to the original topic, this is a neat idea, sounds like it is on the end of a gate that lifts, too bad we can't do caches like that here.

http://lighthousehobbies.com/ViewFullImage.aspx

Considering some Charlatan went through my entire Star Wars Series and removed every carefully placed baggie in each cache, I think that if a cacher feels the need to do that to every cache in a series to decrease his or her time running it, then I refuse to perform wet log replacement runs. This cacher who did this is ruining the game for everyone else. I replace caches when they truly need repair and when they are missing.

Nothing of what I have said here is about whether or not I can maintain my caches. I do maintain them, and everytime I go caching I run into cachers placed by cachers who have only placed a one or two caches, or caches placed by cachers who have only a few finds under their belt, and they plain and simple DO NOT maintain their caches. I email and email and email them about missing caches and never hear a thing. You should read some of my DNF logs for some caches in Brunswick that I encountered yesterday!

SO pretty much, we can all be sure that You Brdad will refuse to replace a wet log or a full log when you encounter them? Good to know that this is how you choose to play this fine game we have here.

brdad
06-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Part of maintenance is dealing with how people treat your caches unfortunately. With Old470, it's people not putting it back where it belongs. Another, it's replacing stolen hockey pucks. I would imagine with power run caches, haste in finding the caches makes a select few not care about the baggies. In all the cases, it's not right, it's just an unfortunate side effect.

And it's not so much that I refuse to replace lost or full logs, it's that most of the time I intentionally come unprepared. On occasion I have added slip of paper to supplement a cache. There is no written or unwritten standard for caring for another person's cache. It is a nice thing to do and is over and above what is expected IMO.

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Part of maintenance is dealing with how people treat your caches unfortunately. With Old470, it's people not putting it back where it belongs. Another, it's replacing stolen hockey pucks. I would imagine with power run caches, haste in finding the caches makes a select few not care about the baggies. In all the cases, it's not right, it's just an unfortunate side effect.

And it's not so much that I refuse to replace lost or full logs, it's that most of the time I intentionally come unprepared. On occasion I have added slip of paper to supplement a cache. There is no written or unwritten standard for caring for another person's cache. It is a nice thing to do and is over and above what is expected IMO.

Ok. I will agree with that explanation! :)

WhereRWe?
06-03-2010, 06:19 PM
There is nothing worse than some cacher who has 6000 finds and has been caching for 8 years, who posts that I need to run out to a Star Wars Cache to replace the log.... bring some replacement logs when you go caching!

This is one of the reasons I object to "power run" caches. The cache owner can't maintain them.

The responsibility for maintaining a geocache rests with the cache owner - not another geocacher who finds the cache. If you can't maintain a cache, don't place it.

When I post a log advising the cache owner that there is a problem with the cache, I consider that I am doing him a courtesy. That's the way I feel when someone posts that there is a problem with one of my caches.

WhereRWe?
06-03-2010, 06:26 PM
SO pretty much, we can all be sure that You Brdad will refuse to replace a wet log or a full log when you encounter them? Good to know that this is how you choose to play this fine game we have here.

Sheesh! I guarantee that I will NOT replace a wet or full log. It's not my responsibility to use my money to maintain YOUR cache. I'll be courteous, and let you know that there is a problem with YOUR cache, but the responsibility for maintaining YOUR cache is yours - not mine.

I applaud someone who voluntarily replaces a logbook or otherwise "cleans up" a cache. But to EXPECT someone else to maintain YOUR cache disgusts me.

:mad::mad:

JustKev
06-03-2010, 06:38 PM
JustPJ66 (Pam) and I occasionally replace logs or put logs in baggies. We do it strictly as a courtesy. If we happen to find a cache that's in bad shape, for any reason, and we do not have supplies with us we mention it in our logs. If the cache is in serious need of help we log it as a "Needs Maintenance" to really draw attention to that fact. We try very hard to leave a cache in it's original baggie if we can or replace it if we can. But we do not feel it's our responsibility to maintain other people's caches.

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 07:50 PM
This is one of the reasons I object to "power run" caches. The cache owner can't maintain them.

The responsibility for maintaining a geocache rests with the cache owner - not another geocacher who finds the cache. If you can't maintain a cache, don't place it.

When I post a log advising the cache owner that there is a problem with the cache, I consider that I am doing him a courtesy. That's the way I feel when someone posts that there is a problem with one of my caches.

I never said I can't maintain them. You should watch what you say Mr. WhereRWe.....

... you obviously don't read what I write closely, and assume a lot.

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 07:52 PM
JustPJ66 (Pam) and I occasionally replace logs or put logs in baggies. We do it strictly as a courtesy. If we happen to find a cache that's in bad shape, for any reason, and we do not have supplies with us we mention it in our logs. If the cache is in serious need of help we log it as a "Needs Maintenance" to really draw attention to that fact. We try very hard to leave a cache in it's original baggie if we can or replace it if we can. But we do not feel it's our responsibility to maintain other people's caches.

You are all correct. It is not anyone but the cache owner's responsibility. However I would think that the majority of us who consider us as respectful and courteous people/cachers (and who expect courtesy in logs, treatment of areas that caches are located on, and expect courtesy and respect on this forum) would also be of the mind set of replacing a wet log or full log if we come across one.....

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Sheesh! I guarantee that I will NOT replace a wet or full log. It's not my responsibility to use my money to maintain YOUR cache. I'll be courteous, and let you know that there is a problem with YOUR cache, but the responsibility for maintaining YOUR cache is yours - not mine.

I applaud someone who voluntarily replaces a logbook or otherwise "cleans up" a cache. But to EXPECT someone else to maintain YOUR cache disgusts me.

:mad::mad:

Personally you disgust me, and your posts in this thread personify my general feeling that there are several cachers on this forum who are hypocritical floozies.

I would feel that since I have provided so much fun for so many cachers when they come to the area and find/log several hundred finds in such a short period of time, that the least they can do is slip a new piece of paper into a film canister when they find the old log wet.

Mainiac1957
06-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I do carry a selection of logs sizes in my backpack. More often than not it is for a full up log in a micro so I have a place to sign. The dilemma I often face is what to do with the full logs. I really feel they belong to the owner. Most of the time there isn't room to add a log sheet if it's a small container, but I want to place my name on it. I am also not going to mail them as that is just more than I am willing to do. What opinions does everyone have. And yes I know there will be plenty of them.:rolleyes:

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I do carry a selection of logs sizes in my backpack. More often than not it is for a full up log in a micro so I have a place to sign. The dilemma I often face is what to do with the full logs. I really feel they belong to the owner. Most of the time there isn't room to add a log sheet if it's a small container, but I want to place my name on it. I am also not going to mail them as that is just more than I am willing to do. What opinions does everyone have. And yes I know there will be plenty of them.:rolleyes:

Brad! Very refreshing to know that you do carry extra logs and will gladly and openly replace a wet log. I can understand the dilemma concerning a full log sheet. I personally do not care about keeping logs and verifying finds cross referenced with the written logs. Do many cache owners do that????

I do carry many logs, from nano sized, up through full log books that I will glady place in a cache that is in need. I also carry all my cache gear including ready made caches, and extra film canisters and magnetic key holders so I can replace any damaged caches I find.

As many cachers (some who are on this forum... Dubord?) can tell you, I glady offer my assitance with cache repair too. I have repaired and replaced several down here for owners who live out of town, and did one for Dubord in Camden last summer. I have replaced many of TeamHorwich's caches for him as well when I am out caching and see that something needs maintenance.

darterkitfox
06-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Perhaps a "needs maintenance" log is intended to get the cache owners attention which the regular logs don't do. How many times have you read the last 4 loggers say that the log is wet and unusable and it is over the course of 2 months? That's 4 chances the cache owner has to go and check on it and not expecting each one of those cachers to do it for them. I currently have one that was reported with a wet log within a week of placing by more than one person. Right now the cache is disabled as the preserve is being worked on and people aren't allowed on it at the moment. It will be fixed when I'm allowed on the property. If someone says it needs maintenance than I can't fault them as it has been wet for more than 3 months.

brdad
06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I love to keep my old log books, but mine are large enough that people can actually write more than just their name in them. Some of the logbook logs are better than the online logs, and plus you occasionally get the logs from the people who do not log online. I would care a lot less for a micro log with just the names, unless I wanted to validate a find.

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Perhaps a "needs maintenance" log is intended to get the cache owners attention which the regular logs don't do. How many times have you read the last 4 loggers say that the log is wet and unusable and it is over the course of 2 months? That's 4 chances the cache owner has to go and check on it and not expecting each one of those cachers to do it for them. I currently have one that was reported with a wet log within a week of placing by more than one person. Right now the cache is disabled as the preserve is being worked on and people aren't allowed on it at the moment. It will be fixed when I'm allowed on the property. If someone says it needs maintenance than I can't fault them as it has been wet for more than 3 months.

I look at that as being 4 discourteous/lazy cachers who couldn't carry a few extra pieces of paper on them and throw one into your cache.

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I love to keep my old log books, but mine are large enough that people can actually write more than just their name in them. Some of the logbook logs are better than the online logs, and plus you occasionally get the logs from the people who do not log online. I would care a lot less for a micro log with just the names, unless I wanted to validate a find.

Do you validate finds vs. the logs?

I wonder why people write so much in a log as opposed to the online log.... odd. Very odd. I am the opposite. I just sign my name and date in a physical log then write a lot online.

dubord207
06-03-2010, 08:28 PM
How hard is it to put a few new logs in your pocket and just replace a wet log? Seriously? I think it takes less time then typing a "needs maintenance" log!!!! C'mon, you guys seem to be taking cheap shots at folks that place a lot of caches. If Dave or Bruce have a cache that suddenly gets wet because a cacher can't put the cover on correctly and I'm the next cacher, I'll fix the frigging thing and not expect a pat on the back.

Man, it really irks me that those of us that do a little repair work on others' caches from time to time are looked down on by some fellow cachers.

I've replaced logs in caches placed by fellow cachers that have less then 5 caches. I have also had cachers repair or fix caches of mine that needed attention.

Try it guys! I always feel good when I do a good deed without expecting anything in return. Even a Curmudgeon and an "old school" cacher can repair a cache. I'd do it for you both without question and with the expectation of nothing in return. Want to try it?

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 08:33 PM
How hard is it to put a few new logs in your pocket and just replace a wet log? Seriously? I think it takes less time then typing a "needs maintenance" log!!!! C'mon, you guys seem to be taking cheap shots at folks that place a lot of caches. If Dave or Bruce have a cache that suddenly gets wet because a cacher can't put the cover on correctly and I'm the next cacher, I'll fix the frigging thing and not expect a pat on the back.

Man, it really irks me that those of us that do a little repair work on others' caches from time to time are looked down on by some fellow cachers.

I've replaced logs in caches placed by fellow cachers that have less then 5 caches. I have also had cachers repair or fix caches of mine that needed attention.

Try it guys! I always feel good when I do a good deed without expecting anything in return. Even a Curmudgeon and an "old school" cacher can repair a cache. I'd do it for you both without question and with the expectation of nothing in return. Want to try it?

Thank you Dan! You are a voice of reason as well....:D

dubord207
06-03-2010, 08:39 PM
As far as mailing the old logs to the CO when you replace a log, I have always offered to do so and nobody has taken me up on the offer yet. I bet Di and I have easily replaced over 100 logs, maybe 200 and nobody has asked to be sent the soaked mushy logs we replace. If they did, we'd send it...not a big deal.

And Chadd replaced an entire cache for us last summer while we were up north on vacation. Anybody here ever heard of the "Golden Rule?"

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 08:45 PM
I know that Parmachenee has replaced a log for me and I noticed that he did so, only a few hours before I had arrived to replace the log myself! ha ha I ran into Frank and Charyon (spelling?) later in the day as I was out and about caching and performing repair on other caches of mine in the area!

LaughingTerry
06-03-2010, 08:46 PM

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. When I read it I understood that he thinks it is wrong to put out a cache and expect other people to maintain it. I have to agree with that. As for looking down on someone who fixes another owners cache, I don't think anyone does that.

I don't expect anyone else to maintain my caches. I have one with water problem and one with a muggle problem. I don't maintain either as much as I should because I tend to get discouraged with them both from time to time. I don't archive them because people really do enjoy them. I have one more that is haunted. It is gone, then comes back, then is gone again. LOL

I carry "emergency" logs I found a pattern for online. I use them if a log in a full size cache is full or in the case of Coburn Mt where a Boy Scout Troop just put a piece of paper in the cache. I don't carry micro logs though.

What ticks me off is when someone decides a cache is missing and replaces it and logs a find. Then the owner goes out and finds 2 caches. I have found more than one cache container a few times now. In fact it was done on one of mine.

brdad
06-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Do you validate finds vs. the logs?

I wonder why people write so much in a log as opposed to the online log.... odd. Very odd. I am the opposite. I just sign my name and date in a physical log then write a lot online.

Very rarely do I validate. I have validated more just by sending an email and asking - on 4 or 5 occasions people have incorrectly logged one of my caches. At least I believe it was incorrectly.

I write a lot less in the cache log than I used to and am a bit ashamed of it. Some of it is the rush to move along, some of it is there is less to write about many caches now, some of it is I have a harder job getting inspired to write than I used to, in cache or online logs. Old age maybe...

I have posted at least twice in this thread alone that helping out with caches is above and beyond expectations. It is a good deed. In no way am I looking down on anyone for doing so, quite the opposite in fact. Like Bruce, however, I don't like it when cache owners expect someone else maintain their caches.

Just like each of us gives in different ways and amounts to this site, we give in different ways and amounts to the game. It is good we have a mixture of people that do some extra good in different aspects of the game. I don't make a point to repair random caches, but I do help out a lot with errors I catch in descriptions and other problems people come to me for help with. A few weeks ago, I alerted a cache owner his parking coords were 50 miles off, he was glad I told him, no one had mentioned it.

What ticks me off is when someone decides a cache is missing and replaces it and logs a find. Then the owner goes out and finds 2 caches. I have found more than one cache container a few times now. In fact it was done on one of mine.

That gets me too. If they never found the cache, how do they know it's missing, and if they placed their own, how can they say they found it?????
We watched a cache being replaced in Augusta and decided not to claim the find until we went back another day. It didn't feel right to log it.

dubord207
06-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't "expect" anybody to repair my caches or caches that others place. That's not the point at all!

My "expectation" is that a thoughtful cacher will carry a spare log or two and replace a log that clearly needs replacing. I agree with LT that replacing an entire cache that you deem is missing is irresponsible.

But replacing one that has clearly been destroyed should be encouraged. That happens and when I'm headed out to do a cache that the previous cacher indicates needs replacing, I'll replace it. Anybody think doing that violates the spirit of the game? Brad, didn't you guys find one I replaced on top of a mountain not that long ago?

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Very rarely do I validate. I have validated more just by sending an email and asking - on 4 or 5 occasions people have incorrectly logged one of my caches. At least I believe it was incorrectly.

I write a lot less in the cache log than I used to and am a bit ashamed of it. Some of it is the rush to move along, some of it is there is less to write about many caches now, some of it is I have a harder job getting inspired to write than I used to, in cache or online logs. Old age maybe...

I have posted at least twice in this thread alone that helping out with caches is above and beyond expectations. It is a good deed. In no way am I looking down on anyone for doing so, quite the opposite in fact. Like Bruce, however, I don't like it when cache owners expect someone else maintain their caches.

Just like each of us gives in different ways an amounts to this site, we give in different ways and amounts to the game. It is good we have a mixture of people that do some extra good in different aspects of the game.

It is not an expectation to maintain a cache. It is an expectation of common sense, common courtesy, and good deeds. All important parts of caching.

There are cachers in other parts of the country who have many more hides than I do, upwards of 6 or 7 hundred, and they maintain them, but they also get help from others in the repair work.

I feel that my cache placements have provided a service to the caching community. They have drawn many more cachers to this area of Maine, from all over, than used to come. The same goes for Mike's Stud Mill Rd series! When you get 160+ cachers logging a cache in a 6 month period of time.... many of them very highly experienced cachers, and ones who genuinely enjoyed the series, I would think that many of them would be cachers who would take it upon themselves to come prepared to do spontaneous cache maintenance just like I do.

As Dubord said, the Golden Rule...

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't "expect" anybody to repair my caches or caches that others place. That's not the point at all!

My "expectation" is that a thoughtful cacher will carry a spare log or two and replace a log that clearly needs replacing. I agree with LT that replacing an entire cache that you deem is missing is irresponsible.

But replacing one that has clearly been destroyed should be encouraged. That happens and when I'm headed out to do a cache that the previous cacher indicates needs replacing, I'll replace it. Anybody think doing that violates the spirit of the game? Brad, didn't you guys find one I replaced on top of a mountain not that long ago?

Well said, Dan!:D

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
This cache is accessible only when a train is passing by. You have to wait for a train to get the cache. And if you are not able to log it and put it back while train is passing by you must wait for another train to be able to put it back :)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d2af1d17-8f2b-4d37-92bc-f4c7f5902f2d

Oh, Cano, sorry if I hijacked your thread! I have a nasty habit of doing that without even realizing it....

Back to the original posting.... I discussed this cache with a few other cachers today and the concept seems very neat. I wish we didn't have such rules in place here in the U.S. I am sure that with the proper explanation in the cache listing, a cacher would have no problem understanding the cache and how it works!

dubord207
06-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Di and I will have a whole bunch of spare logs of all sizes for anybody attending the Relay tomorrow in Ellsworth. Just ask and I'll share them!

Need to sign off now and get some rest as tomorrow evening I'll be up way beyond my usual bedtime! Good topic gentlemen!:)

dubord207
06-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Pay it Forward! If you haven't seen the movie, you might not understand. If you did see it, then that's what we're talking about.:)

brdad
06-03-2010, 09:15 PM
If everyone maintained everyone else's caches ....

Way fewer caches would be archived, and we'd never know who the deadbeat cache owners were!

If everyone maintained their own caches ...

There would be no need for this discussion!

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Pay it Forward! If you haven't seen the movie, you might not understand. If you did see it, then that's what we're talking about.:)

DSKG has a series of Pay it Forward Caches ... well... he placed the first one and others followed his lead... in the BlackStrap Preserve in Falmouth

CARoperPhotography
06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
If everyone maintained everyone else's caches ....

Way fewer caches would be archived, and we'd never know who the deadbeat cache owners were!

I already do know who the deadbeat owners are.... and if you are implying that I am a deadbeat cache owner, all I have to say is that you are sorely mistaken and I can give you at least 20 people to contact this moment who would set you straight. Try reading some of the logs on my non-Star Wars series caches.... and not my park n grabs. You'll be surprised...

brdad
06-03-2010, 09:40 PM
No, no no... deadbeat cache owners would usually be the ones who are not around anymore to maintain them but the caches still exist. It could apply to a hider who just doesn't care if his cache is maintained, I don't think we have many of these here if any.

NativeMainer
06-03-2010, 11:32 PM
In my time geocaching, it has never occurred to me to replace wet logs. Usually if the log is wet, then there's a problem with the cache as a whole that the cache owner needs to address. On the few occasions that I've e-mailed the cache owner about maintenance, usually, my e-mails were ignored as the owner had pretty much left the game. I did get a curt response to one of my e-mails, though.

I'll try to keep some spare logs with me when I go out caching in the future. I make no guarantees that I'll remember to use them, though.

TeamHorwich
06-04-2010, 06:40 AM
and the Pay It forward was my series, not that I wanted the credit ; ) I do appreciate when someone replaces a wet log...seems simple enough...I have done it and am glad when others help out...bring a pencil and bring some extra paper...how hard is that, really?!?

brdad
06-04-2010, 07:48 AM
I repeat, replacing logs or repairing caches for people is a good an honorable thing...

But was thinking about this some. As far as logs go, there are two main reasons they would need replacement. Wet or full. If they are wet, it seems there are again two main reasons why - the container is not appropriate for the location or is compromised, in which case, the owner should do something out it, or a cacher logged it in the rain and did not care enough to keep it dry. As far as full logs, it seems to me a cache owner should be able to tell when a log it getting full, especially with micros which are generally only logged with a name. If there are 50 spots to sign a name, after the cache gets 35-40 logs, you go change the log.

I only have 6 caches, and have never had a problem with wet logs. One of my caches sweats like a pig and it always wet outside due to it's hiding design. But it's always been dry (smelly once due to some incense :mad:) I have found caches of all sizes with wet logs as well as contents however and would gamble 99% of those were from containers not suitable for the location. There are exceptions as in extreme physical abuse or the last finder not closing it correctly.

And maybe that's part of my argument about replacing wet logs. If the cache owner does not care enough to place the right container, am I just encouraging him to hide more by helping out? If your kid kept leaving his books outside and they got wet, would you keep replacing them? I would much sooner fix or replace a cache that I felt the owner routinely cares for than a unsuitable box just thrown in the woods.

cano
06-04-2010, 09:52 AM
I found one cache on Coco Cay island in Bahamas. Cache is on a private island and the only way how to get there is by cruise ship. This cache started as a plastic bag with nothing in it and the next cacher always improved the container, log, content with what ever they had with them while on vacation. This cache went missing for couple of months and somebody always replaced it with a new cache.

The same in Labode, Haiti. It's on a private beach and the only way how to get there is by cruise ship. This cache went missing for couple of times and somebody always replaced it.

Both caches are vacation caches and it's not possible to maintain them by owner for this reason, but everybody is happy to do so. This is how caching should be.

fins2right
06-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I have always carried extra baggies (big and small), golf pencils and logs (big and small). I call it the "Cache repair stache". Why? Because I want the person behind me to have as much fun as I did, and it costs me ohhhhhhhhh about 2 bucks. That is 4 cents less than the Dunkachino I get once a week. Speaking of cache's this has been my roughest week ever. I've had 3 caches muggled and replaced a log two weeks ago just to get an email telling me the log is missing yesterday. Speaking of sheesh. I'll have everything fixed up sunday!

JustKev
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I have always carried extra baggies (big and small), golf pencils and logs (big and small). I call it the "Cache repair stache". Why? Because I want the person behind me to have as much fun as I did, and it costs me ohhhhhhhhh about 2 bucks. That is 4 cents less than the Dunkachino I get once a week. Speaking of cache's this has been my roughest week ever. I've had 3 caches muggled and replaced a log two weeks ago just to get an email telling me the log is missing yesterday. Speaking of sheesh. I'll have everything fixed up sunday!

Would it be considered "Poetic Justice" if you were to catch a muggle in the act of removing one of your caches?

rcwhit
06-04-2010, 03:23 PM
And maybe that's part of my argument about replacing wet logs. If the cache owner does not care enough to place the right container, am I just encouraging him to hide more by helping out? If your kid kept leaving his books outside and they got wet, would you keep replacing them? I would much sooner fix or replace a cache that I felt the owner routinely cares for than a unsuitable box just thrown in the woods.

I agree! I have seen many film canisters with wet logs, but have never seen any match containers with wet logs if they are screwed on right. Maybe we should just outlaw film canisters and end the wet logs for ever! :D

brdad
06-04-2010, 03:39 PM
I found one cache on Coco Cay island in Bahamas. Cache is on a private island and the only way how to get there is by cruise ship. This cache started as a plastic bag with nothing in it and the next cacher always improved the container, log, content with what ever they had with them while on vacation. This cache went missing for couple of months and somebody always replaced it with a new cache.

The same in Labode, Haiti. It's on a private beach and the only way how to get there is by cruise ship. This cache went missing for couple of times and somebody always replaced it.

Both caches are vacation caches and it's not possible to maintain them by owner for this reason, but everybody is happy to do so. This is how caching should be.

Now that is kind of a neat cache idea. A cache with the intention of being improved upon by future finders! Start out with a baggie or the like and finders are encouraged to up the ante by improving upon it somehow. Of course it would have to be elective to do so due to the guidelines.

CARoperPhotography
06-04-2010, 05:01 PM
No, no no... deadbeat cache owners would usually be the ones who are not around anymore to maintain them but the caches still exist. It could apply to a hider who just doesn't care if his cache is maintained, I don't think we have many of these here if any.

Sounds like TeamHorwich to me.... ;) I WAS TOTALLY JOKING!!!!!

CARoperPhotography
06-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I repeat, replacing logs or repairing caches for people is a good an honorable thing...

But was thinking about this some. As far as logs go, there are two main reasons they would need replacement. Wet or full. If they are wet, it seems there are again two main reasons why - the container is not appropriate for the location or is compromised, in which case, the owner should do something out it, or a cacher logged it in the rain and did not care enough to keep it dry. As far as full logs, it seems to me a cache owner should be able to tell when a log it getting full, especially with micros which are generally only logged with a name. If there are 50 spots to sign a name, after the cache gets 35-40 logs, you go change the log.

I only have 6 caches, and have never had a problem with wet logs. One of my caches sweats like a pig and it always wet outside due to it's hiding design. But it's always been dry (smelly once due to some incense :mad:) I have found caches of all sizes with wet logs as well as contents however and would gamble 99% of those were from containers not suitable for the location. There are exceptions as in extreme physical abuse or the last finder not closing it correctly.

Here we go again..... need I explain again how some charlatan likes to REMOVE the protective baggies from my caches????? The baggies are there for a reason.....

CARoperPhotography
06-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Now that is kind of a neat cache idea. A cache with the intention of being improved upon by future finders! Start out with a baggie or the like and finders are encouraged to up the ante by improving upon it somehow. Of course it would have to be elective to do so due to the guidelines.

With the type of cachers that Brdad and WhereRWe have proven, and admitted themselves of being, I would hope that THESE two never come upon a cache such as this, because it would certainly NOT be improved upon by them with their current views.... nor would I improve upon a cache such as this PLACED by these two.... in fact, I may take parts from it, such as people have done to my caches ha ha :eek:

CARoperPhotography
06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Would it be considered "Poetic Justice" if you were to catch a muggle in the act of removing one of your caches?

That is why I cache & carry.... :cool: I my father always told me growing up, "Shoot, shovel, and shut-up."

CARoperPhotography
06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I agree! I have seen many film canisters with wet logs, but have never seen any match containers with wet logs if they are screwed on right. Maybe we should just outlaw film canisters and end the wet logs for ever! :D

Just what we need, yet another Groundspeak Regulation.

WhereRWe?
06-04-2010, 05:17 PM
With the type of cachers that Brdad and WhereRWe have proven, and admitted themselves of being, I would hope that THESE two never come upon a cache such as this, because it would certainly NOT be improved upon by them with their current views.... nor would I improve upon a cache such as this PLACED by these two.... in fact, I may take parts from it, such as people have done to my caches ha ha :eek:

Actually, while I may ruffle some feathers in these forums, I'd say that the geocaching credentials of Brdad and myself are impeccable. Your characterization of us as "the type of cachers that Brdad and WhereRWe have proven, and admitted themselves of being" appears pejorative, and as such, completely undeserved and unprovoked. :D:D

CARoperPhotography
06-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Actually, while I may ruffle some feathers in these forums, I'd say that the geocaching credentials of Brdad and myself are impeccable. Your characterization of us as "the type of cachers that Brdad and WhereRWe have proven, and admitted themselves of being" appears pejorative, and as such, completely undeserved and unprovoked. :D:D

Impeccable? Impeccably hypocritical....

WhereRWe?
06-04-2010, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=WhereRWe?;66425]Actually, while I may ruffle some feathers in these forums, I'd say that the geocaching credentials of Brdad and myself are impeccable. Your characterization of us as "the type of cachers that Brdad and WhereRWe have proven, and admitted themselves of being" appears pejorative, and as such, completely undeserved and unprovoked. :D:D[/QUOTE

Impeccable? Impeccably hypocritical....

Sheesh! I assure you - NOBODY could prove hypocrisy on my part. Seems to me I said in another thread that I'm an "open book". Totally open. What you see is what you get. As for being "critical", absolutely.

I've stated our dislike for certain types of caches, our love of others. I've stated my opinion that cachers are responsible for their caches. I've never stated that people should not improve" a cache if they can. We've replaced many full/damaged logs in our travels.

Could I suggest that you bookmark this link (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrite)?

:D:D

masterson of the universe
06-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Back to Cano's topic....I believe remember seeing a "Traveling cache" that was a magnetic mico. As each person found it, it was to be moved to a new location and the coords updated. I cant recall how it was done so that each new user could update the coords. Anyone remember seeing this anywhere and if it could be done with all the new regulations?

brdad
06-04-2010, 06:36 PM

There is a difference, the cache I described is designed to be improved upon. Maintenance would still be the responsibility of the cache owner, and would most likely take more work than a traditional cache. I can imagine the containers changing at times and other times being altered. Different people would have different ideas upon what the definition of improved is. Many cachers would not do anything to it; much like many finders of TB hotels do not exchange TBs - as stated before, participation in additional requests would be optional anyway as per gc.com ALR rules. And in case you are wondering, I do not agree with the banning ALRs. I think they were a neat twist on the game.

brdad
06-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Back to Cano's topic....I believe remember seeing a "Traveling cache" that was a magnetic mico. As each person found it, it was to be moved to a new location and the coords updated. I cant recall how it was done so that each new user could update the coords. Anyone remember seeing this anywhere and if it could be done with all the new regulations?

Traveling caches have been banned since the creation of travel bugs. Just like TBs, they would travel from cache to cache. But there are still a few in existence. I have only found one traveling cache, Fly... MARS ROVER (Cache is now IN TRANSIT!) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=88cb4a56-475d-4f8c-af3b-873f144a593b) (GCC6B) by mtn-man (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=3512) (1.5/3)

There used to be another variation on a traveling cache where the finder was supposed to move an entire cache to another location, usually the same park, and post the coords in his log. these are also no longer allowed.

If you owned the parcel of land and gave the reviewer NSEW boundaries, you might be able to get the second type approved.

WhereRWe?
06-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Traveling caches have been banned since the creation of travel bugs. But there are a still in existence..

This one (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=2b0e19f9-0e46-4f26-a1df-f2379d1360c9) is still traveling around central Maine...

brdad
06-04-2010, 06:52 PM
This one (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=2b0e19f9-0e46-4f26-a1df-f2379d1360c9) is still traveling around central Maine...

But..at is a TB that happens to be a container like a cache. That would still be allowed. The Mars Rover is a cache listing, not a TB listing.

EDIT: Correction, the link you posted is a TB, but it is attached to the traveling cache 50 State Traveler (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=34b0fa16-df55-48cd-9bad-8c20cf76332b). So it is both a TB and a traveling cache.... confusing!

Since the placed dates are the same, it looks like it was placed after TBs were released, but before Traveling caches were phased out.

brdad
06-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Speaking of travel bugs, this appears to be the first:
Released: Thursday, 30 August 2001
Deadly Duck: Envy (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB0001)

WhereRWe?
06-04-2010, 07:14 PM
EDIT: Correction, the link you posted is a TB, but it is attached to the traveling cache 50 State Traveler (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=34b0fa16-df55-48cd-9bad-8c20cf76332b). So it is both a TB and a traveling cache.... confusing!

Yes - there is a TB attached to the cache. And, yes, it's confusing. Not my fault! It was dumped on me! LOL! :o:o

TeamHorwich
06-04-2010, 08:12 PM
and this one...Traveling, Little Known Parks finder (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=91b43cd8-5797-46f9-a685-95824cc646bc)
I found it back in 2006 here in Maine...

team barbieri
06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Ww have been caching for only four months now and in our pack I keep spare logs of different sizes, pens and pencils, and containers. Also different tapes, clear, black, white, and i still need to find some camo tape. We have Put additional logs in caches to replace wet or full as long as there was room to do so. I have repaired containers that were cracked as best as I could and sent message to owners. We keep zip lock bags and replace ripped ones or put logs in them if they are getting wet. We also have taken TB's and cleaned them up, laminated new info cards because the old ones were destroyed. When we finally place our first cache (soon) I would never expect anyone to do this for me. We do it because we enjoy caching and really want others to enjoy it as well. While there seem to be a few deadbeat cache owners around I dont think any of them are on theese boards, that would be too much work. But I will still fix, or replace logs or caches of these deadbeats, not for them but for everyone else who enjoys this game. I dont replace missing caches, if I did Serious tool would have a lot of doubles out there, We always have a hard time finding his, Thats what makes them so much fun.

CARoperPhotography
06-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Ww have been caching for only four months now and in our pack I keep spare logs of different sizes, pens and pencils, and containers. Also different tapes, clear, black, white, and i still need to find some camo tape. We have Put additional logs in caches to replace wet or full as long as there was room to do so. I have repaired containers that were cracked as best as I could and sent message to owners. We keep zip lock bags and replace ripped ones or put logs in them if they are getting wet. We also have taken TB's and cleaned them up, laminated new info cards because the old ones were destroyed. When we finally place our first cache (soon) I would never expect anyone to do this for me. We do it because we enjoy caching and really want others to enjoy it as well. While there seem to be a few deadbeat cache owners around I dont think any of them are on theese boards, that would be too much work. But I will still fix, or replace logs or caches of these deadbeats, not for them but for everyone else who enjoys this game. I dont replace missing caches, if I did Serious tool would have a lot of doubles out there, We always have a hard time finding his, Thats what makes them so much fun.

I'll take that as a compliment..... thank you! And to the rest of you, TeamBarbieri has yet to hit my Star Wars Series.... he does my REAL caches....!:cool:

It's refreshing to see a newcomer displaying such enthusiasm and care for caching with replacing of wet and full logs!

CARoperPhotography
06-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Yes - there is a TB attached to the cache. And, yes, it's confusing. Not my fault! It was dumped on me! LOL! :o:o

The 50 State Traveler ( or in the case of Obama, the 57 State Traveler) is now in Alaska , thanks to DSKG!

CARoperPhotography
06-04-2010, 10:26 PM

I doubt it could be done exactly as it is now, with all the regulations of Groundspeak. I was flabberghasted when I saw that the 50 State Traveler was placed as a cache within 200 ft of an existing cache in York, ME recently...

team barbieri
06-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I know you cant to the crossing bars on a railroad track.....But what about a drawbridge like the casco bay bridge?

CARoperPhotography
06-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Reviewers would never allow it. That bridge would be considered a potential terrorist target