View Full Version : I've fallen and need to cache up!

fins2right
06-28-2010, 09:57 AM
I know, Corny. :rolleyes: I've been a complete geo-slacker lately. I've always vowed never to let kids, family, work, coaching, vacations and life get in the way of my caching but it has. After posting my best year ever last year, I've really had only one good day out this year and I'm sitting at 904 caches. I need motivation! I see all kinds of great kayak caches and a few new power runs pop up over the last few months. When life gets you down, what do you guys do to motivate yourselves? My only success has been keeping up with cache maintainance issues (LT, I'm off to check on Frenches Mountain Recycled tonight). I need the kick in the rear, help!

firefighterjake
06-28-2010, 11:45 AM
I know, Corny. :rolleyes: I've been a complete geo-slacker lately. I've always vowed never to let kids, family, work, coaching, vacations and life get in the way of my caching but it has. After posting my best year ever last year, I've really had only one good day out this year and I'm sitting at 904 caches. I need motivation! I see all kinds of great kayak caches and a few new power runs pop up over the last few months. When life gets you down, what do you guys do to motivate yourselves? My only success has been keeping up with cache maintainance issues (LT, I'm off to check on Frenches Mountain Recycled tonight). I need the kick in the rear, help!

Focus man . . . focus . . . keep your eye on the ball and the truly important things in life . . . like getting more Smiley faces. ;):D

Of course I'm joking . . . family and work most definitely should come first in the list of priorities . . . but that said . . . there are caches to be found and vacation days to use!

brdad
06-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Most consecutive days with finds: 8, from 3/15/09 to 3/22/09
Most consecutive days without a find: 173, from 9/23/08 to 3/14/09

Sometimes life just gets in the way!
We've had a slow year too, although I think we have talked to more cachers than any other year, thanks to the events we have attended, and the new visitors to chat help keep the spirit up. Lee's last chemo is this coming Wednesday and hopefully she'll regain her energy some soon after.

Ekidokai
06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Watch an adventure movie or something like that. It's all about the treasure and the adventure. Smiley faces fah.

All the best to Lee.

dubord207
06-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey, it happens. Look at my numbers over the past 2 months...not very impressive for a supposed "power cacher." But, come see our yard and the effort we've put into our gardens. Plus, believe it or not, the amount of real estate work my office has been doing since March is at least double from what it was last year so I have to be a bit more "responsible" then I'd like to be.

And then there are unplanned health issues that we have been fortunate to avoid (thank God for that) but there are several of our fellow cachers that have not been so lucky, but at least for folks like Lee, Patrick and Shotgun, the news is thankfully positive.

So sometimes the numbers are not only the least of our concern but maybe no concern at all. Di and I will get our share of caches and in the meantime we just enjoy every day, caching or not!:):)

JFamilySebec
06-28-2010, 09:18 PM
and the new visitors to chat help keep the spirit up.

Yay! That's me!

masterson of the universe
06-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Watch an adventure movie or something like that. It's all about the treasure and the adventure. Smiley faces fah.

See Splinterheads if you haven't already...Maybe that will do it for you.

06-29-2010, 07:53 AM
I myself haven't done a single cache since Mike's Mystery Tour Event. Not sure what happened that killed the bug for me but for now its just not there. I know there are several untouched (by me) caches in Bangor and Orono that I'll get to once I catch the bug again and I'm back at it. It makes me feel terrible that during the prime caching months, I choose to do other things and will probably be kicking myself once winter comes and I want to get out there due to cabin fever.

It does seem to drive me a bit when someone asks about it who's never been before and wants to try. Perhaps that's what I need...You dont get any virtual smiles when you re-visit but the smiles on a kids face when they find a treasure are worth the trip...I guess I know what I need to do to try and revive the bug...

cano
06-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Meh, same here. My "premium" membership is going to expire soon and I don't think I'm going to renew it. I've found over 900 caches, visited some nice places, but it's kind of repeating now. It needs something new, maybe more whereigo caches, exciting challenges or something completely new?

brdad
06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
My drive to cache has not dropped, only the time I have available. The funny part is, at least for me, is with all the caches available now it actually takes more preparation to plan the type of adventure I want to experience. Some people claim to like all caches and am happy doing a million similar ones any size any place anywhere. If that works for you, great. There are few caches I won't do, but I do prefer to do caches that will teach me something or show me a new place. Unfortunately, there is no attribute for that so it takes a fair amount more research to help insure quality time spent than it used to only a few years ago.

There are many caches in unknown spots or are otherwise new or original, you just need to plan some and think outside your normal technique of caching. Going to the most cache dense area is not always the best bet.

06-29-2010, 04:24 PM
My drive to cache has not dropped, only the time I have available. The funny part is, at least for me, is with all the caches available now it actually takes more preparation to plan the type of adventure I want to experience. Some people claim to like all caches and am happy doing a million similar ones any size any place anywhere. If that works for you, great. There are few caches I won't do, but I do prefer to do caches that will teach me something or show me a new place. Unfortunately, there is no attribute for that so it takes a fair amount more research to help insure quality time spent than it used to only a few years ago.

There are many caches in unknown spots or are otherwise new or original, you just need to plan some and think outside your normal technique of caching. Going to the most cache dense area is not always the best bet.

Agreed...You've seen one guard rail, you've seen most of em. I think thats the biggest thing. Film canister in the plastic sheathing of a telephone pole guide wire? Cmon? What the heck is the reason for being at that location? I know there are a ton of great caches out there and I'm sure I'll get at them at but when I take a roadtrip with the kids, its to someplace fun where they can get out and have fun.

WhereRWe?
06-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Agreed...You've seen one guard rail, you've seen most of em. I think thats the biggest thing. Film canister in the plastic sheathing of a telephone pole guide wire?

Sheesh! I like the magnetic-nano in the public phone box. I ALWAYS check the coin return... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

team barbieri
06-29-2010, 09:52 PM
gaurd rails and nanoshave their purpose. For us we do them as a break from riding to the big treasure that we are heading for. We "cache" our way to our destination, and if we are not to tired after the "BIG ONE" we will come home another route and cache our way back. It makes the destination more rewarding in the end.

team barbieri
06-29-2010, 09:54 PM
gaurd rails and nanoshave their purpose. For us we do them as a break from riding to the big treasure that we are heading for. We "cache" our way to our destination, and if we are not to tired after the "BIG ONE" we will come home another route and cache our way back. It makes the destination more rewarding in the end.

Plus they are great for rainy days:D

Mapachi
06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
It's not the cache, it's the journey.

I have found that no matter where the cache hunt takes me, I find beauty...
Of course I have never been on any cruises with Cano! (I can't get that red purse out of my mind!)

cano
06-29-2010, 11:04 PM
It's not the cache, it's the journey.

I have found that no matter where the cache hunt takes me, I find beauty...
Of course I have never been on any cruises with Cano! (I can't get that red purse out of my mind!)

I was also wearing thongs and lipstick later, but I don't have a picture :)

Ekidokai
06-30-2010, 01:21 AM
Thank God!

firefighterjake
06-30-2010, 06:22 AM
I have to agree with Team B and Mapachi . . . yeah, sometimes the guard rail on a busy highway is nothing to speak about . . . and it's rare to find a lamp post cache in a parking lot that is simply amazing (although I can think of one LPC in Skowhegan which was pretty neat when it was first put out thanks to Laughing Terry) and those film canisters in the telephone pole often don't have much of a view . . .

But that said, like Team B, I often incorporate caching into any longer trips I'm doing . . . for example, this past weekend I drove down to Wiscasset and Biddeford as I'm considering purchasing a new (well new to me) truck . . . rather than just drive from Point A to Point B as fast as possible I got my kid brother to come a long and we meandered down there and back, caching along the way, enjoying the hunt, catching up with other, etc. What could have been a routine "shopping" trip turned out to be a fun day . . . so I certainly will not begrudge the occasional GRC.

The other thing is that not all GRCs have to be ho-hum . . . in fact one of those GRCs I did had a nice view of Damariscotta . . . and I think of the Mainely Rose series of caches by Becket, CacheMaine and Hollora (the one by CacheMaine with the Belfast Bay was particularly pretty) . . . and Mapachi's view of True Pond was quite spectacular as the light was fading fast and the pond was quite serene looking as day was slipping into night.

JustKev
06-30-2010, 06:38 AM
JustPJ and I cache pretty much the same way. We really like to find caches that take us somewhere with a nice view or a history lesson or the like. We do grab GRC's along the way. We found a disguised nano on a sign post just yesterday and really like the effort the cache owner put into the hide in plain sight. We're not anti-micro or anti-micro but if that's all there was out there, we'd not be doing this and I wouldn't have spent so much money on geocaching. I would have tried to find another excuse for the laptop though. :)

JustKev
06-30-2010, 06:39 AM
oops - anti-micro or anti-nano

brdad
06-30-2010, 07:08 AM
I was not trying to be anti-micro, nano or anything, but I know I usually come off that way. The point I was getting at is if you are losing your drive to go caching, you may have to change your technique and try some different types of hides in some different types of areas. For me, that often requires actively passing by some of the GRCs and LPCs, but that may not be the case for everyone. Variety is the spice of life - and caching!

firefighterjake
06-30-2010, 07:21 AM
JustPJ and I cache pretty much the same way. We really like to find caches that take us somewhere with a nice view or a history lesson or the like. We do grab GRC's along the way. We found a disguised nano on a sign post just yesterday and really like the effort the cache owner put into the hide in plain sight. We're not anti-micro or anti-micro but if that's all there was out there, we'd not be doing this and I wouldn't have spent so much money on geocaching. I would have tried to find another excuse for the laptop though. :)

Which reminds me . . . thank you for your comments on my Before Lizzie Borden Cache . . . you and PJ's comments made my day . . . always refreshing to read something about enjoying the search and history vs. what now seems to be the standard log of "X of Y caches found today. TFTC"

JustPJ66
06-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Awwww Thanks ...we enjoyed the caches...and like a bad penny we will be back hehe

pm28570
06-30-2010, 08:30 AM
...and in agreement. For one of the most outstanding views at a GRC, try GC14Y72 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c9a3e937-3c37-4568-b678-675f400fc603#)

Mapachi
06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Try my "Pretty As A Picture" caches. All are guardrail caches with nice views!

fins2right
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Try my "Pretty As A Picture" caches. All are guardrail caches with nice views!

My first FTF was one of the "pretty as a picture" GRC's. The cache came out around 7 p.m. and I raced out of the house and grabbed it at 7:15 or so. I bet a few more FTF races will get me back into the game. :)

dubord207
07-01-2010, 04:36 PM
10 yesterday and 15 today. I guess I'm back in the game. Kayaking caching tomorrow!:)

hollora
07-01-2010, 04:39 PM
One find yesterday and one placement (the FTF log was worth the effort ;-) )

Mapachi
07-04-2010, 08:35 PM
10 yesterday and 15 today. I guess I'm back in the game. Kayaking caching tomorrow!:)

Me too! 17 finds yesterday and 26 today!! I'm so tired right now, that I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to log todays finds.
Back on another run tomorrow. That should put me over 1800!!!
I'm getting my caching genes rejuvinated!
Tracy, just do it.....the feaver will come back!:D:D

dubord207
07-04-2010, 10:22 PM
We only did 3 today, but if you read the logs you'll see we had a great time!:)

cano
07-04-2010, 10:44 PM
I was sitting 10m from a cache today and I don't care :P

Ekidokai
07-05-2010, 12:06 AM
How many is a meter?

team barbieri
07-05-2010, 08:55 AM
We worked hard on getting our numbers up on sunday. Just A few more and we will have some big #s......."DNF's that is" But it was still a nice day in the kayaks.

cano
07-05-2010, 10:27 AM
How many is a meter?

The meter is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second.

The second is the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom.

WhereRWe?
07-05-2010, 11:19 AM
The meter is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second.

The second is the duration of 9 192 631 770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium 133 atom.

Sheesh! And I thought a meter was the thing on the gas grill that tells me how much gas is left... :o:o

Ekidokai
07-05-2010, 01:26 PM

Well, thank you very much.

Security!

JFamilySebec
07-05-2010, 02:00 PM

:confused::confused::confused:

Well, thank you very much.

Security!

:D:D:D

Mapachi
07-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Sheesh! And I thought a meter was the thing on the gas grill that tells me how much gas is left... :o:o

And I thought a meter was the speed of a song!

darterkitfox
07-06-2010, 05:21 AM
I thought it was what you do when you first walk up to a woman in a bar.

Mainiac1957
07-11-2010, 05:54 AM
A meter is that thing on the outside of your house that goes around really really fast when the weather is hot and the AC is on.

And I did around 100 while we were in Seattle. Slacked off this year....

shuman road searchers
07-11-2010, 06:11 AM
A meter is that thing on the outside of your house that goes around really really fast when the weather is hot and the AC is on.

And I did around 100 while we were in Seattle. Slacked off this year....

Meters or caches?:rolleyes:

dufzor
07-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Meters or caches?:rolleyes:

Thats what I was wondering! :)