View Full Version : Dull posts

Mapachi
07-06-2010, 09:22 AM
These forums have been dull without Groucho, er I mean Serious Tool to pick on.:eek:
I, for one, miss him. He's a cantankerous coot, but he sure livens things up!:D

COME BACK GROUCHO!

brdad
07-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Just post and suggest people place quality caches, that always works for me.
It always makes the lame roadside micro loving series number hounds come out of the woodwork! :p:D:p:D:p:D

lexmano
07-06-2010, 12:00 PM
In fact just yesterday I posted this to Chadd's profile.

"Yo, when are you going to post again? I have big money saying you will be back. But I think it will be a longer time than others do. In fact most figure you must be posting now under a new ID."

So, I echo Pat's sentiments.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

JustPJ66
07-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I was expecting you to post more of your "special" pics guys...that sure livened things up for a while hehe

shuman road searchers
07-06-2010, 04:11 PM
These forums have been dull without Groucho, er I mean Serious Tool to pick on.:eek:
I, for one, miss him. He's a cantankerous coot, but he sure livens things up!:D

COME BACK GROUCHO!

:DI received a text message this morning from Chadd!!:D

CARoperPhotography
07-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Well well well, I happened to actually log on because I had a quick post that I wanted to put into the GPS Equipment area, and I saw this thread....

..... I am considering it. And just to show Lex that I support his gambling on my return, I guess I am back, but in limited capacity!

Mapachi
07-06-2010, 07:43 PM
welcome back groucho!

Mapachi
07-06-2010, 07:44 PM
I was expecting you to post more of your "special" pics guys...that sure livened things up for a while hehe

Yeah? Well I for one would like to see some "special" pics from the gals!!;):rolleyes::eek:

JustPJ66
07-06-2010, 07:58 PM
sorry I never dressed up like Daniel Boone or nuffin ....my best is just being wicked "witch" ...no costume needed for that hehe

CARoperPhotography
07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
sorry I never dressed up like Daniel Boone or nuffin ....my best is just being wicked "witch" ...no costume needed for that hehe

Thanks for hijacking this thread, which was about ME! I deserve my damned 15 minutes... or days of fame! :p

Mapachi
07-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Ha Ha Ha! The Serious Tool hasn't changed.
On another note. Who, in this State, has the highest percentage of caches placed in comparison to caches found? I seem to run at around 10% .....since I started caching! I find my self placing one for every ten I find. I was backing off a bit; then the Central Maine Power Run came along.

shuman road searchers
07-09-2010, 07:59 PM
On another note. Who, in this State, has the highest percentage of caches placed in comparison to caches found? I seem to run at around 10% .....since I started caching! I find my self placing one for every ten I find. I was backing off a bit; then the Central Maine Power Run came along.

I will answer that tomorrow when the new cache(s) are out. They will be around 30 percent!

CARoperPhotography
07-09-2010, 09:59 PM
I will answer that tomorrow when the new cache(s) are out. They will be around 30 percent!

I am easily at over 30%....

lexmano
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Oh wait we did that already on April 1st!! Sorry I am unavailable tomorrow, go Marcipanek and Serious Tool!

lexmano
07-09-2010, 10:17 PM

Who found one or two and then ran out to hide one or more. Some of these guys were 50%, 100% and I think there was one guy who found 1 and hid 3 for 300%.

Let us say one needs at least 50 hides to be eligible.

shuman road searchers
07-10-2010, 02:55 AM
Who found one or two and then ran out to hide one or more. Some of these guys were 50%, 100% and I think there was one guy who found 1 and hid 3 for 300%.

Let us say one needs at least 50 hides to be eligible.

Well then, that changes everything! Go Chadd!:D

brdad
07-10-2010, 06:54 AM

There are a few accounts with 50+ hides which are around 30%, but there is one account that stands out at several hundred percent. When I started caching, there was someone who had over 20 hides, 6% of all the caches in the state at the time in fact, yet he only had a small handful of finds, several of which were on his own caches. :eek:

I think a person can hide too many caches, but that number does vary depending on the person. but I also feel there is little use of comparison between the number of hides vs. finds (outside of sheer curiosity that is, just like many of the numbers on the Maine stats page). There used to be a lot of talk in the national forums comparing one's find count to their forum post count, suggesting those who posted more than their found count needed to get out more! :D

darterkitfox
07-10-2010, 06:55 AM
How do you figure a percentage for someone that has never found a cache but has placed two? One just came out yesterday (GC2BE5Y, Pot o gold) and the placer has never found a cache. Not sure how they even know what a cache is. I'd be interested in looking for it just to see what they came up with. Perhaps it's a new car.

WhereRWe?
07-10-2010, 07:04 AM
There used to be a lot of talk in the national forums comparing one's find count to their forum post count, suggesting those who posted more than their found count needed to get out more! :D

Sheesh! We need to get out more! LOL! :o

pm28570
07-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Sheesh! We need to get out more! LOL! :o

Ah, yup.....

brdad
07-10-2010, 07:09 AM
How do you figure a percentage for someone that has never found a cache but has placed two? One just came out yesterday (GC2BE5Y, Pot o gold) and the placer has never found a cache. Not sure how they even know what a cache is. I'd be interested in looking for it just to see what they came up with. Perhaps it's a new car.

Nearly everyone's first reaction to someone with no finds is that they lack the experience to hide caches. And most of the time that probably is the case, but there are exceptions:

Those who hide caches under a different account. I have heard of a husband a wife team where the finds are under his account and the hides are under hers.

Those who have found caches with another cacher who logged the finds under that account.

Those who do not log their finds at all. There are cachers around who have 100s and 1000s of finds but never log them. There are also a few cachers who log all their finds as notes, which does not show on your find count. I don't think we have a lot of cachers that do not log in Maine, but I have several logs in the logbooks of my caches by cachers who did not log online. I have also met several people who say they have found caches but never log them, even the log book in the cache. Anyway, these cachers can hide their finds but they have to use an account to hide caches.

CARoperPhotography
07-10-2010, 09:06 AM

We see a lot of that rubbish down here.... I usually will take a look but never expect anything great. Generally, they should go on your ignore list.

masterson of the universe
07-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Absolutely worth looking into. I can only speak for myself but when I tell people about caching, i describe an actual ammo box cache or one that is large enough to actually hold trade items and trackables. I completely leave out the part about GRC's and LPC's as they usually only contain a log and in most cases, thats not going to get someone hooked. If I take them to a cache, I take them either to my Loudest View cache as I know its constantly stocked with items besides McToys and things that might actually be of value to someone other than a child or we head into the BCF because there is only one cache there that doesnt have room for actual items. Teach a person what a good full size cache should be like and they'll be less likely to just throw out a micro out in a muggleable spot.

brdad
07-10-2010, 11:36 AM
I certainly would not pass up a cache hidden by someone with few or no finds. There is still a decent chance it is an original idea, perhaps a better chance than someone who has hidden 100+ caches. Worst case, the coords are off and you get a DNF or the cache is in a place it should not be and you help correct any errors.

Teach a person what a good full size cache should be like and they'll be less likely to just throw out a micro out in a muggleable spot.

I've had a theory for some time that is along these lines, and that is that a person's first few finds defines what kind of cacher that person will become. How many is up for debate, but I say about 25. If your first 25 are GRCs and you stick with the game, that's probably what you like. Same if you do mainly hike or kayak caches. There are always exceptions, however.

I'd be perfectly happy with caches like my first 25, including the one virtual I thought was quite lame when I did it but in comparison to some modern day hides it was great!

cano
07-10-2010, 12:12 PM
How do you figure a percentage for someone that has never found a cache but has placed two?

Because you all compute it wrong way, who started that? :)
Try h/(f+h)

darterkitfox
07-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I did that cache from the person with no finds today. DNF. On a private road, coordinates took me to the shed of a private camp. I didn't like ducking around someones property, plus it was pouring rain. Also, no clue. I won't be back.

Mapachi
07-11-2010, 08:26 AM
I certainly would not pass up a cache hidden by someone with few or no finds. There is still a decent chance it is an original idea, perhaps a better chance than someone who has hidden 100+ caches. Worst case, the coords are off and you get a DNF or the cache is in a place it should not be and you help correct any errors.

I've had a theory for some time that is along these lines, and that is that a person's first few finds defines what kind of cacher that person will become. How many is up for debate, but I say about 25. If your first 25 are GRCs and you stick with the game, that's probably what you like. Same if you do mainly hike or kayak caches. There are always exceptions, however.

I'd be perfectly happy with caches like my first 25, including the one virtual I thought was quite lame when I did it but in comparison to some modern day hides it was great!

A interesting theory. My first 25 finds had a lot of "hide in plain sight" caches mixed in and my cache hides ......well, have more then a few hide in plain sight type hides.

I think we tend to emulate fellow cachers, who's hides impress us. For me it was Laughing Terry's hides. I think a lot of my first 25 cache finds were ones placed by him.

brdad
07-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I think we tend to emulate fellow cachers, who's hides impress us. For me it was Laughing Terry's hides. I think a lot of my first 25 cache finds were ones placed by him.

You picked a good one to emulate!

firefighterjake
07-14-2010, 07:39 AM
Absolutely worth looking into. I can only speak for myself but when I tell people about caching, i describe an actual ammo box cache or one that is large enough to actually hold trade items and trackables. I completely leave out the part about GRC's and LPC's as they usually only contain a log and in most cases, thats not going to get someone hooked. If I take them to a cache, I take them either to my Loudest View cache as I know its constantly stocked with items besides McToys and things that might actually be of value to someone other than a child or we head into the BCF because there is only one cache there that doesnt have room for actual items. Teach a person what a good full size cache should be like and they'll be less likely to just throw out a micro out in a muggleable spot.

I loved this cache . . . nice hike (but not too long), good cache container and a cool spot that I wouldn't have found if it wasn't for you and geocaching.

And I agree with you . . . not that there is anything wrong with a good micro or nano in the right time and place . . . but in this case a large ammo box was perfect . . . and as mentioned if folks start out expecting to see ammo boxes or decent Lock n' Lock containers when they decide to put out their own cache hopefully they'll remember what they found and what they liked to find and attempt to duplicate those caches.

firefighterjake
07-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I did that cache from the person with no finds today. DNF. On a private road, coordinates took me to the shed of a private camp. I didn't like ducking around someones property, plus it was pouring rain . . . and in the distance I could hear the banjo from Deliverance playing. Also, no clue. I won't be back.

Hehheh . . . I fixed your quote Darterkitfox. ;) :)

firefighterjake
07-14-2010, 07:44 AM
A interesting theory. My first 25 finds had a lot of "hide in plain sight" caches mixed in and my cache hides ......well, have more then a few hide in plain sight type hides.

I think BRDad and Laughing Terry inspired me . . . I figured it was easy to hide a nano or micro, but much, much harder to come up with a clever way to hide a small or regular cache and these two guys showed me that there are ways to even hide an ammo can without resorting to piling rocks or sticks on top of them . . . and to me that is one reason I enjoy hiding larger caches . . . it's more of a challenge to come up with a tricky hide for these caches.

CARoperPhotography
07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Back to the topic of dull posts... And my livening up of them.... Apparently I have accomplished the goal already
And pushed some buttons in another thread! Woo hoo!

darterkitfox
07-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Update on the cache from the cacher with no finds. There are now 5 DNF's and as one of them pointed out, the last 3 digits are the same on both coordinates. I contacted the owner with no response. We'd all like to know if we just aren't good enough for the find or if he/she made a mistake. Who were they emulating?

brdad
07-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Update on the cache from the cacher with no finds. There are now 5 DNF's and as one of them pointed out, the last 3 digits are the same on both coordinates. I contacted the owner with no response. We'd all like to know if we just aren't good enough for the find or if he/she made a mistake. Who were they emulating?

I'm guessing they have a Delorme GPS have heard there is no way they can have bad coordinates.

WhereRWe?
07-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm guessing they have a Delorme GPS have heard there is no way they can have bad coordinates.

Sheesh! DNFTT!!! :D:D

CARoperPhotography
07-14-2010, 09:57 PM

It's all of you with your GARMIN GPSrs, especially the old ones, who PLACED caches with bad cords, that are messing up us cachers with Delorme's Serious Tools with the good cords...

Brdad, when is the last time you got a WAAS lock on your GPSr?:cool:

Ekidokai
07-15-2010, 01:33 AM
Seems to be theme lately. A cache was published today and I went to look for it. The cache description and location are completely wrong. This hider has been around for a while so we will see what is going to happen.

dufzor
07-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Seems to be theme lately. A cache was published today and I went to look for it. The cache description and location are completely wrong. This hider has been around for a while so we will see what is going to happen.
Was it the cache we talked about that I am planning to go to today? Money is a bit hard to comeby, so if it is that certain cache, I hope you will give me a heads up, please, please. Yes I would like cheese with my whine, tyvm

:D

Ekidokai
07-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Was it the cache we talked about that I am planning to go to today? Money is a bit hard to comeby, so if it is that certain cache, I hope you will give me a heads up, please, please. Yes I would like cheese with my whine, tyvm

:D

Badge of Honor (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d1a86ec1-f32a-48ad-ae18-180c73276c66) Out past that other one. I wish I had the other cords listed in the cache page. I'm sure this was a screw up but I see someone else has found the problem too. Now lets see how long it takes to fix it.

darterkitfox
07-15-2010, 08:09 AM
I was finally contacted by the cache owner and he said it was placed by his students and they probably made a mistake and would check on it.

JustKev
07-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Badge of Honor (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d1a86ec1-f32a-48ad-ae18-180c73276c66) Out past that other one. I wish I had the other cords listed in the cache page. I'm sure this was a screw up but I see someone else has found the problem too. Now lets see how long it takes to fix it.

Using Internet Explorer 8 and it's multiple tabs, I was reading this post on one tab and had Badge of Honor open on the other and had just read the note posted.

darterkitfox
08-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Three weeks after getting contacted by the owner of Pot O' Gold, he has archived it due to the fact that he found out his students made a mistake with the coordinates so my guess was right. Just wondering what every thinks about liability when coordinates are wrong and it takes you onto private property or other dangerous places. When I or the other cachers were crawling around the foundation of a camp with no trespassing signs and the owner shoots us, can my wife use the defense that the cache placer obviously got permission to place it there as we all know everyone gets permission and the land owner didn't have the right to shout me. I have made a mistake with coordinates before and although no one will admit it, I know more of you have too. At what point in searching, do most people decide they shouldn't be where they are?

team barbieri
08-08-2010, 07:43 PM
If we see a sign that says "NO TRESSPASSING" then we leave cache or not even if the cache says we have permission

Ekidokai
08-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Just posted a needs to be archived for that stupid cache. It is only disabled. After reading what the hider posted for this cache I'm surprised anyone makes it out of that camp alive.

This is a prime example of why people that have no experience should not be allowed to hide a cache. Anyone looking for this cache would have gotten killed, if the coordinates had been even close.

darterkitfox
08-09-2010, 06:23 AM
What's wrong with putting a cache on a live shooting range? I guess I should be thankful that the coordinates were wrong and only took me to a trigger happy, no trespassing laden, old hermit's camp. I can run a lot faster than my wife so after the first shot, I might have had a good chance of surviving.

Mainiac1957
08-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Just posted a needs to be archived for that stupid cache. It is only disabled. After reading what the hider posted for this cache I'm surprised anyone makes it out of that camp alive.

This is a prime example of why people that have no experience should not be allowed to hide a cache. Anyone looking for this cache would have gotten killed, if the coordinates had been even close.

I sent the CO an email. I said we all made mistakes starting out. I suggested that he/she archive that cache and maybe try later. I also mentioned that some in the caching community may respond with harsh woods and comments. Why is it necessary to go after a new person with torches and pitchforks. It's a game and some people make mistakes on coordinates. Sheesh Mike, give em a break will ya.:confused:

brdad
08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
I sent the CO an email. I said we all made mistakes starting out. I suggested that he/she archive that cache and maybe try later. I also mentioned that some in the caching community may respond with harsh woods and comments. Why is it necessary to go after a new person with torches and pitchforks. It's a game and some people make mistakes on coordinates. Sheesh Mike, give em a break will ya.:confused:

Well said, except that even seasoned cachers make mistakes!

There seems to be a lot of quick harsh judgments made upon other cache hiders and finders lately, I hope it's not a continuing trend. :(

firefighterjake
08-09-2010, 10:30 AM

+1 . . . A little bit of helpful, brotherly advice and honesty goes a long way towards helping out folks new to the sport.

As for when do I back out of an area . . . I guess it comes down to commonsense, the will to live and the ability to determine if a place is safe or not . . .

pm28570
08-09-2010, 11:30 AM
As for when do I back out of an area . . . I guess it comes down to commonsense, the will to live and the ability to determine if a place is safe or not . . .

Indeed, it's amazing how far common sense will take you.

Ekidokai
08-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah, like my hair has not been burned off with a torch or two.

Helping out new comers is a great thing. Have taken a few out and showed them the ropes.

Going after people like this is one way to look at it. Another way is that these completely ignorant people put me and my loved ones in literally the line of fire. Using this as an example is more than warranted. Placing a cache on obviously private property and having the home owners or cops come after you is getting old quick.

So excuse me if I go after someone for making what you call a mistake. I call it a blatant negligent act that can not go ignored and they should be made example of to warn others to be more careful before doing the same. Kind of like how we have laws to deter killing people in the first place.

Should the headlines read, "Child or Mother or whatever, killed on shooting range looking for cache placed by completely ignorant to the sport newbies" or "Newbie embarrassed by cachers asking for proof of permission and experience before placing a cache"?

brdad
08-09-2010, 02:37 PM
No one is saying there should not be prompt action when a cache is placed in a dangerous place. The cache owner disabled the cache in a prompt manner and most likely doesn't understand the difference between disabling and archival.

Ekidokai
08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't agree.

The cache owner did not disable it in a prompt manner. The cache owner did not respond to any inquires. The cache owner did not ask for help when it was determined that there was a problem.

It is obvious that the cache owner doesn't know the difference and doesn't seem to care.

hollora
08-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't agree.

The cache owner did not disable it in a prompt manner. The cache owner did not respond to any inquires. The cache owner did not ask for help when it was determined that there was a problem.

It is obvious that the cache owner doesn't know the difference and doesn't seem to care.

Maybe I missed it in this tread but what cache is being discussed? GC number please...........

shuman road searchers
08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I don't agree.

Maybe they did not want to ask for help for fear of being chewed out?!

dubord207
08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm curious about the GC code for this cache as well.

That said, if a cache was placed downrange on a shooting range, I'm with Mike....strong and quick action is the only reasonable choice. While it's a good trait to be temperate, it's also a good trait to be pro-active when something like this happens. I certainly made my share of newbie mistakes, heck I even logged a find on one of my own caches! (mainiac1957 sent me a nice note suggesting that was not within the spirit of the game) and I deleted it.

Sounds like this CO made a very stupid and potentially fatal mistake. How else should one act in response?

darterkitfox
08-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I've been told more than once, no names, no pointing out caches in the forums but I will email the code to the two people that asked. The owner wasn't prompt as I pointed out the problem and then it took a couple weeks for an answer, then a couple more to disable it. This is also a good reason for people to log DNF's as after several in a row, I know for a fact it prevented others from going to the cache until it was checked on. No DNF's and we may have had dozens going to the shooting range looking for it.

Ekidokai
08-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Thank you Duord. You are a wise sage.

Pot O' Gold GC2BE5Y

shuman road searchers
08-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I do not agree with hiding a cache so close to a shooting range and this one is NOT the first. I went for another cache that in the description it says it is near a shooting range but out of range and was hidden in 02.
I agree that bad coords are a real pain. I went after a cache that the coords were 100 miles off! I have found caches that the coords were 100 or more feet off. The first was by a very experienced finder and hider.
I know this camp very well as my son went there for 3 years and I have only the highest remarks for them and everything that they do! I find it hard to believe that it was done on purpose and I can understand the delay in the response.The last time my son went there laptops and cell phones were NOT allowed! No other electronic devices were allowed. I would guess that the counselor who helped with it was not able to check the logs until after camp.
I usually never respond to these type of threads but I feel that new cachers would NOT feel welcomed here and would not seek help because of the way that these posts come across.

hollora
08-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I do not agree with hiding a cache so close to a shooting range and this one is NOT the first. I went for another cache that in the description it says it is near a shooting range but out of range and was hidden in 02.
I agree that bad coords are a real pain. I went after a cache that the coords were 100 miles off! I have found caches that the coords were 100 or more feet off. The first was by a very experienced finder and hider.
I know this camp very well as my son went there for 3 years and I have only the highest remarks for them and everything that they do! I find it hard to believe that it was done on purpose and I can understand the delay in the response.The last time my son went there laptops and cell phones were NOT allowed! No other electronic devices were allowed. I would guess that the counselor who helped with it was not able to check the logs until after camp.
I usually never respond to these type of threads but I feel that new cachers would NOT feel welcomed here and would not seek help because of the way that these posts come across.

I, too, am familiar with the camp and agree. Nothing was done intentionally or in malice. Work to help and teach them not condemn.

There was a local group which had the same thing happen (but not near a range) and after a little help it was fixed. Our game puts no experience requirements on placing caches - and I am not sure even that would fix some of the errors made.

Teach rather than condemn, help rather than criticise.

I remember a lot of folks who have published bad coords, not gotten permission and a bunch of other stuff - how quick we all are to forget our own mistakes...................JMHO

dubord207
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Well, let's see if Brad (mainiac1957) gets a response. Actually, the Bryant Pond cacher was on today so if he's got any sense of responsibility, Brad should have heard from him by now. Rookie mistake....but a very BAD error. And I agree, cachers with no finds that place caches usually place bad caches. It's not the first time this has happened. We should encourage new cachers to find a bunch before placing caches so that this type of issue can avoided.

hollora
08-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I just got off the phone with Bryant Pond camp (2139). There is much more to the scenerio discusse here than meets the eye. I will not lay it all out here but for anyone who would like to help with education, email or PM me.

Let me put aside or reduce a bit, some fears - it was an archery range not a rifle range. The cache has been archived and the CO who has the Bryant Pond ID was concerned about the "watchers". So, if you are one of them you will see my note on the cache page. Maybe you will consider no longer watching this archived cache.

I remember when this same thing happened to a local Land Trust, too. Again, folks were quick to condemn.

It is frustrating to go after a find and the coords are bad - but until Groundspeak is willing to change their rules, it will happen. As the old adage goes, you get a lot more flies with sugar than vinegar. So when coords are bad, it might be better to offer help then to put down the CO. Who knows, maybe they have a bunch of finds under another ID and what they are using is a sock puppet name.

The "your coords seem bad, what can I do to help" is a lot better than cutting folks down in my opinion. I did not see what was said about the "range" but I presume folks assumed it was a rifle range rather than archery.

Since an organization I belong to financially supports Bryant Pond, a conservation camp - property owned by the 4-H, supported by UMaine Extension and funded by donation, camperships and scholarships, I hope this is put to bed soon. There are 2 Conservation Camps in Maine and I don't think we can really afford to loose either of them. The fact they are even trying to get up to speed with GPSrs beyond basic map and compass should be a good thing.

JMHO

firefighterjake
08-10-2010, 07:30 AM
I just got off the phone with Bryant Pond camp (2139). There is much more to the scenerio discusse here than meets the eye. I will not lay it all out here but for anyone who would like to help with education, email or PM me.

Let me put aside or reduce a bit, some fears - it was an archery range not a rifle range. The cache has been archived and the CO who has the Bryant Pond ID was concerned about the "watchers". So, if you are one of them you will see my note on the cache page. Maybe you will consider no longer watching this archived cache.

I remember when this same thing happened to a local Land Trust, too. Again, folks were quick to condemn.

It is frustrating to go after a find and the coords are bad - but until Groundspeak is willing to change their rules, it will happen. As the old adage goes, you get a lot more flies with sugar than vinegar. So when coords are bad, it might be better to offer help then to put down the CO. Who knows, maybe they have a bunch of finds under another ID and what they are using is a sock puppet name.

The "your coords seem bad, what can I do to help" is a lot better than cutting folks down in my opinion. I did not see what was said about the "range" but I presume folks assumed it was a rifle range rather than archery.

Since an organization I belong to financially supports Bryant Pond, a conservation camp - property owned by the 4-H, supported by UMaine Extension and funded by donation, camperships and scholarships, I hope this is put to bed soon. There are 2 Conservation Camps in Maine and I don't think we can really afford to loose either of them. The fact they are even trying to get up to speed with GPSrs beyond basic map and compass should be a good thing.

JMHO

. . . and clearer, more rational heads prevail . . . thank you Lois for taking the initiative on this one.

pm28570
08-10-2010, 08:08 AM
I just got off the phone with Bryant Pond camp..... <deleted>.... There are 2 Conservation Camps in Maine and I don't think we can really afford to loose either of them. The fact they are even trying to get up to speed with GPSrs beyond basic map and compass should be a good thing.JMHO

Great follow up and post LA.

CARoperPhotography
08-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Back to the original point of this thread..... although I have been silenced by Brdad in the past 36 hours, I am still here. I guess my threads are being pounced on early and removed by the Gestapo.

JustKev
08-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Back to the original point of this thread..... although I have been silenced by Brdad in the past 36 hours, I am still here. I guess my threads are being pounced on early and removed by the Gestapo.

One question, Chadd. Do you own your own business?

CARoperPhotography
08-24-2010, 11:22 AM
One question, Chadd. Do you own your own business?

In the past I did. Not currently. Business is in hiatus currently. Why do you ask?

CARoperPhotography
08-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Waiting..... waiting.... waiting......waiting.....waiting...... please tell me that you have an explanation!

CARoperPhotography
08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Still waiting........

CARoperPhotography
08-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Well Kev.... I am still waiting for an answer. I promptly answered yours.

WhereRWe?
08-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Well Kev.... I am still waiting for an answer. I promptly answered yours.

Sheesh! I'm quite sure he'll respond the next time he logs on. :p:p

JustKev
08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Sheesh! I'm quite sure he'll respond the next time he logs on. :p:p

5 hours at hosp minor surgical procedure...

when you owned a business would you let people slam you and what you did 4 work in the name of tranparency?

I just think you're getting out of hand with your comments about and against brdad.

CARoperPhotography
08-24-2010, 07:43 PM
This isn't Brdad's business. And unfortunately he lets his personal bias direct him in how he handles threads.

Maybe he as moderator should not be involved in posting on threads at all? Kind of like TAT as MainePublisher..... TAT caches under that name but never under the MainePublisher user name.

People slam my management of the business that I run now in the name of transparecny and the business wants those criticisms to be heard so we can improve. I am a district manager for the world's largest Dunkin Donuts franchise and my stores all hand out guest surveys to all customers. They go online and leave comments. This is mainly to ensure that our crew members are providing EXCEPTIONAL guest service, but when there ARE issues I expect that the customers WILL tell us in the survey, and believe me.... they do. Do I like slams against my stores? Does the owner like the slams against his stores? No. But we ask for their honest opinion so we can make changes and rectify issues.

In all honesty, you have only energized me with your post, and proven yourself wrong.

Sudonim
08-24-2010, 08:29 PM
This isn't Brdad's business. And unfortunately he lets his personal bias direct him in how he handles threads.

Maybe he as moderator should not be involved in posting on threads at all? Kind of like TAT as MainePublisher..... TAT caches under that name but never under the MainePublisher user name.

People slam my management of the business that I run now in the name of transparecny and the business wants those criticisms to be heard so we can improve. I am a district manager for the world's largest Dunkin Donuts franchise and my stores all hand out guest surveys to all customers. They go online and leave comments. This is mainly to ensure that our crew members are providing EXCEPTIONAL guest service, but when there ARE issues I expect that the customers WILL tell us in the survey, and believe me.... they do. Do I like slams against my stores? Does the owner like the slams against his stores? No. But we ask for their honest opinion so we can make changes and rectify issues.

In all honesty, you have only energized me with your post, and proven yourself wrong.
So, if a customer has an issue, you make them fill out a quiet survey? Isn't that hiding the problem? Why not let them loudly voice their issue in front of the whole store, now THAT is transparency, nothing hidden.

I know that isn't why they fill out a survey, you do it so you can address the issue in a calm manner without upsetting people that aren't involved. I own my own business and totally understand that you need to resolve customer complaints or disagreements with staff, but airing them in public isn't the way to do it.

CARoperPhotography
08-24-2010, 11:47 PM
So, if a customer has an issue, you make them fill out a quiet survey? Isn't that hiding the problem? Why not let them loudly voice their issue in front of the whole store, now THAT is transparency, nothing hidden.

I know that isn't why they fill out a survey, you do it so you can address the issue in a calm manner without upsetting people that aren't involved. I own my own business and totally understand that you need to resolve customer complaints or disagreements with staff, but airing them in public isn't the way to do it.

I never said we MAKE a customer fill out a "quiet" survey..... I get phone calls all the time from customers. I have had customers be rude in stores over percieved problems. It really doesnt phase me. We hand out online survey cards with each order. The surveys are anonymous, but can be read by the public. So I would hardly say that this is HIDING anything. Transparency is everything with business. If criticism is CENSORED then not only will nothing be ever done to address the issue that caused the criticism but you will be kidding yourself into believing that there are no issues at all.

JustKev
08-25-2010, 05:31 AM
Thank you, Sudonim. You said what I would have last night if I wasn't in pain and not able to type with my right hand. brdad gave you a comment card and you choose to shout out in the middle of the forum.

IMHO, you are out of line for doing so.

brdad
08-25-2010, 06:26 AM
This thread has run it's course. Time to move on! Closed.

If anyone knows of any other such threads , PM me the details.