View Full Version : What kind of animal

dufzor
07-06-2010, 11:20 PM
This topic is linked to geocaching. I was paddling back to the car after dark from doing a kayaking cache. I spooked an animal but I could not see it. It snorted really loud and stomped away, but did not run like I would expect a deer to, plus it snorted serveral times. What kind of animal will make a snorting sound out of fear or to defend its territory? TY.

hollora
07-06-2010, 11:58 PM
This topic is linked to geocaching. I was paddling back to the car after dark from doing a kayaking cache. I spooked an animal but I could not see it. It snorted really loud and stomped away, but did not run like I would expect a deer to, plus it snorted serveral times. What kind of animal will make a snorting sound out of fear or to defend its territory? TY.

Where were you? (Fields Pond, Lucerne, ????) And was the animal on the mainland, an island - more detail might help. Our suet feeders have recently been taken and we are thinking bear..............

dufzor
07-07-2010, 01:17 AM
The noise was on the stream coming back from Hothole pond cache.

masterson of the universe
07-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Chupacabras....From what I understand, they are becoming quite populous in Maine this year.

Ekidokai
07-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Mosquitoes.

dufzor
07-07-2010, 03:37 AM
I've been listening to deer and bear sound bytes of snorts, and am thinking it was a bear, because I also heard the stomp that often goes with the snort. Pretty sure it wasn't big foot!

brdad
07-07-2010, 05:25 AM
I've heard that snorting and stomping on several occasions and am now convinced it is an EEkkiiddookkaaii, a close cousin to Bigfoot, just not as good looking and a little meaner. :p

JustPJ66
07-07-2010, 06:19 AM
I've heard that snorting and stomping on several occasions and am now convinced it is an EEkkiiddookkaaii, a close cousin to Bigfoot, just not as good looking and a little meaner. :p

do you suppose it is the cigar smoke what makes him like that? hehe maybe it is that powdered drink mix he bought???

firefighterjake
07-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Deer . . . they don't always high tail it when they spot you or get spooked . . . the other morning I had a deer in my back yard snorting and blowing and even did a couple of stomps before it just turned around and left . . . of course I was also snorting and blowing right back at it . . . there was no way I was going to let a deer get the best of me. ;)

LaughingTerry
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Deer . . . they don't always high tail it when they spot you or get spooked . . . the other morning I had a deer in my back yard snorting and blowing and even did a couple of stomps before it just turned around and left . . . of course I was also snorting and blowing right back at it . . . there was no way I was going to let a deer get the best of me. ;)

Haven't you seen the videos of deer stomping the crap out of people? That deer might have gotten the best of you if he hadn't left. LOL

JustKev
07-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Haven't you seen the videos of deer stomping the crap out of people? That deer might have gotten the best of you if he hadn't left. LOL

The deer knew it couldn't get past the smell of one of firefighter jake's snorts!

:eek:

brdad
07-07-2010, 01:17 PM

How right you are! Just the other day I was watching this video I have seen several times before.

AtY4U4waKNU

pm28570
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
How right you are! Just the other day I was watching this video I have seen several times before.

Man....not showing any mercy for that dog. Looks like that doe would have taken on anyone or anything.

firefighterjake
07-07-2010, 02:29 PM

I may be crazy, but I'm no fool . . . I was up on the porch . . . and had a swimming pool between him and me.

Hiram357
07-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Haven't you seen the videos of FFJ stomping the crap outta people?? He get's pretty mad when people try to steal his firewood... Heck, I even have a picture of him picking up a guy on his ATV and flipping it off of a bridge.... :eek::D:rolleyes::p

firefighterjake
07-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Haven't you seen the videos of FFJ stomping the crap outta people?? He get's pretty mad when people try to steal his firewood... Heck, I even have a picture of him picking up a guy on his ATV and flipping it off of a bridge.... :eek::D:rolleyes::p

Was this the picture where I turned green and was about 300 pounds . . . or the picture of me running through the woods with a box of pancake batter in my hands like Sasquatch.

JustKev
07-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Was this the picture where I turned green and was about 300 pounds . . . or the picture of me running through the woods with a box of pancake batter in my hands like Sasquatch.

Turned green.....hmmmm......as in green like a sloth?

:eek:

LaughingTerry
07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
You really need to watch out for those deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQO9-v5nZls

JustKev
07-08-2010, 11:18 AM
You really need to watch out for those deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQO9-v5nZls

If you pull the hood down and take the glasses off, why does this guy look like you?

LaughingTerry
07-08-2010, 09:47 PM
But I wear glasses. LOL

pm28570
07-09-2010, 08:15 AM
But I wear glasses. LOL

I can just see the headlines now...."Local Animal Control Officer Caught in Sting"

fins2right
07-17-2010, 09:46 PM
A few years back I was bird hunting up in Greenville armed only with a .20 gauge single shot shotgun. We were at the edge of a clear cut when a young bull moose came out. I hadn't noticed but my partner said "oh S&%t" When I looked up to see what was wrong I noticed the moose. I then noticed him start to snort, swing his head (large rack, very large rack) side to side and stomp his front hoof on the ground. We started to back up and he started to walk toward us, still snorting and stomping. My partner says "We need a plan". I not so calmy suggested escape. We were now deep into the clear cut with no trees to hide behind. He pushed us back about 100 feet or so then cut off into the trees to our right. We gave up for the day and went back to camp for liquid courage. :D It seems funny now, but at the time it was scary as hell. :eek: I also carry slugs and a sidearm now.

dufzor
07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
A few years back I was bird hunting up in Greenville armed only with a .20 gauge single shot shotgun. We were at the edge of a clear cut when a young bull moose came out. I hadn't noticed but my partner said "oh S&%t" When I looked up to see what was wrong I noticed the moose. I then noticed him start to snort, swing his head (large rack, very large rack) side to side and stomp his front hoof on the ground. We started to back up and he started to walk toward us, still snorting and stomping. My partner says "We need a plan". I not so calmy suggested escape. We were now deep into the clear cut with no trees to hide behind. He pushed us back about 100 feet or so then cut off into the trees to our right. We gave up for the day and went back to camp for liquid courage. :D It seems funny now, but at the time it was scary as hell. :eek: I also carry slugs and a sidearm now.

Great story!!! Must have been during Sept or Oct when the boys are chasing gals and defending their territory? I like the part about "not so calmly suggested escape." LOL! I was afraid to get out of my boat because although I could tell he wasn't following me upstream, he was only 300 ft away and still snorting and all I was packing was my dive knife! :eek:

Team V3
07-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I have had a deer snort (kinda a weird combo of a snort, snarl and growl) at me before. Its actually kinda a scary sound when you do not expect it from a cute Bambi. :)