View Full Version : Banned by Groundspeak?

CARoperPhotography
07-10-2010, 09:07 AM
No no no, I have not been banned by Groundspeak....

... however THIS guy was : CAV SCOUT

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=9fc2492c-6589-4927-909e-ecbb3a2a3fde

TeamHorwich showed me this.... very interested..... any thoughts?

JustKev
07-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Makes you wonder why....for a second or two. Then it's time to go to work and forget about it. :)

NativeMainer
07-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Makes me wonder what the guy did to get banned. I've stumbled across member profiles where the person has been banned, maybe once or twice. It doesn't happen all that often, usually the person goes away on their own accord if there's that much friction between a cacher and GroundSpeak.

Trick or Treat
07-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I've asked what you need to do to be banned before and never received any answers. Maybe the time off however will give him some time to get over himself a bit. Just sayin.

brdad
07-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Many times bans are temporary. Only a few months ago, several accounts were temporarily banned because the members were scraping the web site for cache data, most of them were either trying to update cache logs for entire states or more. Accounts have also been temporarily banned when cachers get in battles through cache logs - talking cache hiders down and/or deleting logs because they were po'ed at each other.

I know of a few accounts that were banned permanently when cachers were found tampering or destroying other people's caches.

Cav Scout
07-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Cav Scout here,

If anyone has question as to why I was banned please ask.

CS

JustKev
07-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Cav Scout here,

If anyone has question as to why I was banned please ask.

CS

I'll ask....why wuz ya banned?

cano
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
I also got an threatening letter from GroundSpeak for NOT violating anything, I replied to them and never heard back.

Cav Scout
07-28-2010, 08:44 AM
I'll ask....why wuz ya banned?

The most recent reason for my ban was because I deleted a cachers log for not following the earthcache guidelines, mainly the photo portion. The finder failed to post a photo and I deleted the log. I followed GroundSpeak Cache Owner guidelines. This same cacher happens to be good friends with the local Kentucky reviewers. I was later found as being malicious by Brad W and suspended for one year. Keep in mind I came to Brad W for help because of what the finder posted about me. I sought help and was banned. Oh well…

Last year I was banned for starting my own spirit quest series in KY; I am not affiliated with any of the local KY geo groups. The local reviewers were up in arms about my caches and using the same numbers as there KY Spirit caches (for example I used number 1 to start with). This led to several of my caches being shut down and a three month suspension. The local reviewer’s Iron horse reviewer and Blue grass reviewer campaigned for my suspension. They are a husband and wife team known as Sun moon starz and budophlyus who happen to live in the same town as myself. I only met them twice in 4 years.

My ban has been somewhat humorous. I get emails asking what happened or if I’m OK. Three of the local KY geocaching community gang members, Kyhiker, turtle3836, and some other person who’s geocaching name I forgot, has been allowed by GroundSpeak to delete 15 of my earthcache finds (with pictures of me at the sites), and over 50 of my traditional geocache finds all with signatures. These caches are owned by the three Ky cachers mentioned. I sent a protest to GS and Miss Jenn has turned a deaf ear to my complaint. The cache owners supposedly think I took their caches and I believe that is why my finds are allowed to be deleted. The reason I think this is because Jenn Seva sent me a email asking about their missing caches and that was why they deleted my finds. There’s no proof to their caches actually missing.
Since my ban, I have been successful in getting my membership money back from Groundspeak. It was denied at first by Miss Jenn. It took the help of the Better Business Bureau to get my money back. I suggest going to the BBB website and take a look at Groundspeaks report sometime.
I have no access to my cache listings, yet GS allows my caches to stay active. I own over 250 active traditional and Earth Caches. GS seems not to care for me but they sure do like my caches.
So there it is in a nutshell.
I’m doing fine and still in the Army in the desert somewhere… Internet is everywhere.
By the way, good to see a Marine here. I was attached to the 2nd MEF in Iraq 2005-06 and I proudly wear their combat patch on my ACUs.

brdad
07-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Please refrain from naming names/pointing fingers as it is against the forum rules. While the general topic is relevant, the fine details are between Cav Scout and gc.com.

That being said, welcome to the site.

I will ask, are you still caching during your ban? If so, do you plan to log them all when reinstated?

Also, Groundspeak's BBB standing (http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/internet-services/groundspeak-in-seattle-wa-22037060) (A-) is fairly good from what I can tell?

EvilHomer
07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Why does every fun activity always break down into some POLITICAL, (not Government politics, but usually local interpersonal Politics) B.S. fight? I have seen this in SNOWMOBILING, (snowmobile clubs), as well as other small clubs that have members. And I have seen it in Geocaching as well. It ends up being a detriment to the activity as a whole and ends up starting fights and tarnishes the whole community. Like right now the snowsled club I had been a member of for almost 10 years simply cut all ties with me and I still don't know why. I have yet to see any of the people I had been in the club with. Its sad that people can't just get along.

CARoperPhotography
07-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Please refrain from naming names/pointing fingers as it is against the forum rules. While the general topic is relevant, the fine details are between Cav Scout and gc.com.

I will ask, are you still caching during your ban? If so, do you plan to log them all when reinstated?

Also, Groundspeak's BBB standing (http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/internet-services/groundspeak-in-seattle-wa-22037060) (A-) is fairly good from what I can tell?

I see nothing wrong with naming names.... have you ever noticed that people can get away with almost ANYTHING when things stay private? Anyone can deny that anything was said or happened. However if the Geocaching community can police themselves, by making public, run-ins with bad cachers, then I see no issue here.

CARoperPhotography
07-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Why does every fun activity always break down into some POLITICAL, (not Government politics, but usually local interpersonal Politics) B.S. fight? I have seen this in SNOWMOBILING, (snowmobile clubs), as well as other small clubs that have members. And I have seen it in Geocaching as well. It ends up being a detriment to the activity as a whole and ends up starting fights and tarnishes the whole community. Like right now the snowsled club I had been a member of for almost 10 years simply cut all ties with me and I still don't know why. I have yet to see any of the people I had been in the club with. Its sad that people can't just get along.

I have seen it in my Jeep clubs quite a bit...

brdad
07-29-2010, 06:24 AM
I see nothing wrong with naming names.... have you ever noticed that people can get away with almost ANYTHING when things stay private? Anyone can deny that anything was said or happened. However if the Geocaching community can police themselves, by making public, run-ins with bad cachers, then I see no issue here.

If there was a dedicated forum with it's own set of rules where all involved parties as well as anyone else interested could join in and give and hear both sides of a story that would be fine - I'd even join in on topics that were of interest.

However, that is not these forums, we don't have all involved parties here, and we have rules against it. If enough people wished otherwise, those rules might be changed - but I am guessing most of the members would rather keep these personal issues off-site.

There really should be a forum where these people can express and discuss their grievances. But just allowing a member to discredit other cachers and volunteers on this site is one sided and no more productive than keeping everything private.

firefighterjake
07-29-2010, 07:18 AM

No kidding . . . I've looked forward to reading your monthly reports every month EH. Sorry to hear this.

Cav Scout
07-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Yes I geocache if the cache happens to be along one of my hikes. I also visit earthcaches when I get a chance. I have about 100 Earth Caches and over 300 geocaches to log once my ban is lifted. I have lost a lot of interest geocaching considering what has happened and will log the finds at my leisure.

The BBB rating is A- but they have a few complaints that focus on money charges and complaints about their policies and guidelines.

Billing or Collection Issues Resolved 1 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to BBB. Customer Service Issues Unresolved 1 - Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process. Guarantee or Warranty Issues Unresolved 1 - Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process.
Billing or Collection Issues Resolved 1 - Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to BBB. Customer Service Issues Unresolved 1 - Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process. Guarantee or Warranty Issues Unresolved 1 - Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process.
Heres what the BBB report shows.

Billing or Collection Issues

Resolved

1 -

Company addressed the complaint issues. The consumer failed to acknowledge acceptance to BBB.

Customer Service Issues

Unresolved

1 -

Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process.

Guarantee or Warranty Issues

Unresolved

1 -

Company failed to resolve the complaint issues through BBB voluntary and self-regulatory process.

Cav Scout
07-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I'd be up for a actual meeting with the people involved and see them in person. People act different with IM and emails and when you see them in person they tend to be quiet and not as nasty.

Considering all that has happened, I dont see a problem with pointing out whos involved considering that GS has publicly posted for all to see that I am banned on my public profile. I dont consider it private when something like that is posted on a cachers profile.

However I will respect the forum protocol here.

If there was a dedicated forum with it's own set of rules where all involved parties as well as anyone else interested could join in and give and hear both sides of a story that would be fine - I'd even join in on topics that were of interest.

However, that is not these forums, we don't have all involved parties here, and we have rules against it. If enough people wished otherwise, those rules might be changed - but I am guessing most of the members would rather keep these personal issues off-site.

There really should be a forum where these people can express and discuss their grievances. But just allowing a member to discredit other cachers and volunteers on this site is one sided and no more productive than keeping everything private.

brdad
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I'd be up for a actual meeting with the people involved and see them in person. People act different with IM and emails and when you see them in person they tend to be quiet and not as nasty.

That is actually a nice idea if you could get the interested parties to agree. Ask them politely in an open forum if everyone could meet in person. If they opt out, that will show they are not willing to expose themselves.

CARoperPhotography
07-29-2010, 05:47 PM

It has nothing to do with discrediting another cacher. It has EVERYTHING to do with openness and exposing the charlatans in public. What's wrong with some accountability?

CARoperPhotography
07-29-2010, 05:49 PM

Considering all that has happened, I dont see a problem with pointing out whos involved considering that GS has publicly posted for all to see that I am banned on my public profile. I dont consider it private when something like that is posted on a cachers profile.

However I will respect the forum protocol here.

CavScout, I hope you continue to openly name names. There is a reason that people in this forum dislike openness.... because it exposes their hypocrisy, fraud, and childish behavior.

I am surprised I have yet to be banned from this forum, and there have been times that I have politely asked to be banned.

JustKev
07-29-2010, 06:41 PM
CavScout, I hope you continue to openly name names. There is a reason that people in this forum dislike openness.... because it exposes their hypocrisy, fraud, and childish behavior.

I am surprised I have yet to be banned from this forum, and there have been times that I have politely asked to be banned.

Protocol is to not name names. CavScout would be doing the right thing to not name names here. Has nothing to do with hypocrisy, fraud or childish behavior.

Protocol is protocol.

WhereRWe?
07-29-2010, 07:07 PM
... and there have been times that I have politely asked to be banned.

Sheesh! I must have missed that... :D:D

Hiram357
07-29-2010, 08:32 PM

I do agree with you on this one, if someone stands by something, hold them to it, not just in private. If it's what they really believe then let them defend their position. The naming of names not only brings credibility to the complaints but also serves as a warning to the rest of us. Now I'm not saying grab your torches and pitchforks because someone has spoken ill of these people, but use caution with all parties involved until everything has come to light and we can make a decision on our own by using all points of view. I suggest sending invites to the other people involved to join this forum. If the content is agreed upon by all that it is not suitable by the general public, why not move it to a spot where is can still be debated?

dufzor
07-29-2010, 09:17 PM
I do agree with you on this one, if someone stands by something, hold them to it, not just in private. If it's what they really believe then let them defend their position. The naming of names not only brings credibility to the complaints but also serves as a warning to the rest of us. Now I'm not saying grab your torches and pitchforks because someone has spoken ill of these people, but use caution with all parties involved until everything has come to light and we can make a decision on our own by using all points of view. I suggest sending invites to the other people involved to join this forum. If the content is agreed upon by all that it is not suitable by the general public, why not move it to a spot where is can still be debated?

I'm no lawyer, but maybe libel is an issue??? :rolleyes:

What Are Defamation, Libel and Slander?

Generally speaking, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Slander involves the making of defamatory statements by a transitory (non-fixed) representation, usually an oral (spoken) representation. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.
Typically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:

A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
Damage to the plaintiff.

hollora
07-29-2010, 09:55 PM
And we have attorneys in our company who may speak to this - again, a privately owned website here (as I know it).........and therefore the rules may be different.....again deferring to those of our legal family who may know.

I will say that Groundspeak has similar rules. You can debate a lot there as long as no one is personally named or can be identified.

Hiram357
07-30-2010, 06:22 AM

Generally speaking, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Slander involves the making of defamatory statements by a transitory (non-fixed) representation, usually an oral (spoken) representation. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
Damage to the plaintiff.

It's not if you're using direct quotes from the person. Or calling them out to explain themselves. If that was the case everyone would be getting the pants sued off of everyone every elecetion year.... ;):D

brdad
07-30-2010, 06:22 AM

I agree with both of you, I just don't agree our forum is the place, especially in this case where the parties involved are not local. It was nice for Cav Scout to come in and discuss his situation since he was singled out in the OP. But no offense to him, we don't know him or any of the parties he was making accusations about, and this site was not created to be judge and jury to personal issues - the rules and moderation are not what they would need to be to accomplish this. Again, if enough people want it to be it can be voted on and our rules and mission can be changed. I just don't think that's what the majority wants.

Now if someone wants to set up geocachercourt.com and hear these matters, that could be an interesting site to visit....

Hiram357
07-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Now if someone wants to set up geocachercourt.com and hear these matters, that could be an interesting site to visit....

hmmmm..... The sad thing is I think that would become all too popular within weeks....

firefighterjake
07-30-2010, 07:20 AM

Who is this? This can't be Hiram . . . it's a well-thought out, logical and reasonable statement that has nothing to do with beer, ATVs or food. ;) :)

dufzor
07-30-2010, 10:00 AM

Judge Judy!!! Where are you???:D

Cav Scout
07-30-2010, 11:01 AM
If I am allowed I will mention the names.

Cav Scout
07-30-2010, 11:35 AM
A few interseting facts about my ban and something that happened within the last few months.

My girlfriend who has a premimum account has been warned not to post any notes on the extreme geocaches both myself and her created. She has been told she will be banned if she posts any notes on caches with my name on them. I wonder if shes allowed to log any of my earthcaches when we go out to Washington this fall.

My girlfriends brother paid for a geocaching account and was getting into geocaching. His geoname was skull dragg. He logged some caches and was later banned by the volunteer GS employee who banned me. We assume it was because he knows me? We dont know. The odd thing about this is that he did nothing but log some caches. Hes still trying to get a refund from groundspeak.

This is how paranoid and out of controll some of the GS volunteers become.

cano
07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
A few interseting facts about my ban and something that happened within the last few months.

My girlfriend who has a premimum account has been warned not to post any notes on the extreme geocaches both myself and her created. She has been told she will be banned if she posts any notes on caches with my name on them. I wonder if shes allowed to log any of my earthcaches when we go out to Washington this fall.

My girlfriends brother paid for a geocaching account and was getting into geocaching. His geoname was skull dragg. He logged some caches and was later banned by the volunteer GS employee who banned me. We assume it was because he knows me? We dont know. The odd thing about this is that he did nothing but log some caches. Hes still trying to get a refund from groundspeak.

Why don't you just create a new account? They are not going to lift your ban anyway. Have you tried to contact the owner of GS directly?

CARoperPhotography
07-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Protocol is to not name names. CavScout would be doing the right thing to not name names here. Has nothing to do with hypocrisy, fraud or childish behavior.

Protocol is protocol.

Protocol is protocol. Reality is reality.

CARoperPhotography
07-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Damage to the plaintiff.

If I was to call someone a child rapist when I knew they were not. That would be defamation or libel. However talking about specific people in the sense of Geocaching as we are, is no defamation or libel and you know that.

CARoperPhotography
07-30-2010, 05:59 PM

Wow, sounds like Brdad and this forum.... oh crap.... I just named a name! And now I may be sued for libel and defamation.... oh my .....

JustKev
07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Protocol is protocol. Reality is reality.

While you are certainly entitled to your point of view, the guidelines established for this forum are such that making accusations against another person, whether they are members here or not, is not allowed. If anyone wants to be able to do that, they should establish their own forum and allow it there.

You don't have to agree with the rule, but since it is in effect, and each individual agreed to abide by the rules when they asked to become members of the forum I feel that each person has a responsibility to keep up their end of the agreement.

I've been on the internet for a number of years and have volunteered in a help channel on an IRC network. One of our rules there was that the language used in the channel would not contain profanities or vulgarities. It amazed me then as well as now that there are grown adults out there who insist on being able to say what they want, where they want and no one should be able to tell them otherwise.

There and here, both, the rule is the rule. You certainly don't have to like it but it is my opinion that it should be followed until such time as the majority of the users show they want it changed....and the person who established the forum agrees to change it.

In the IRC channel, people who insisted it was their right to say what they want were told "not in this channel". They kept arguing that it was freedom of speech. Well, it isn't. There and here there is a moderator. If a person feels they cannot abide by the rules, the real freedom is that they can choose to leave.

That's my opinion. It may not be anyone else's and that's okay. I'm not offended when people don't see things the way I do. I won't change my mind, you're all welcome to not change yours. But....I've stated my opinion.

brdad
07-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Well stated, Kev.

I don't really care for all the motor vehicle laws, I have the option of following them or not following them and risking any consequences. If I don't like the rule, breaking it will not change it - you have to go through the process of trying to get it changed.

CARoperPhotography
07-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Well stated, Kev.

I don't really care for all the motor vehicle laws, I have the option of following them or not following them and risking any consequences. If I don't like the rule, breaking it will not change it - you have to go through the process of trying to get it changed.

You've had your chance to ban me from this forum, but apparently you can't/won't for some odd reason. Like I have said before, enforce your guidelines and be rid of me. I really don't care either way.

Cav Scout
07-31-2010, 02:46 AM
I was told by GS not to create another account. I was warned that if I did my ban would be increased by ten years, lol. Actually I was told not too. I have to many ECs and geocaches out there that people really like. I have spent hundreds of dollars, miles, and hard work on my earthcaches. I have them from Alaska to DC. Im upset that I dont have access to my work. I cant even disable or archive my caches right now.

Cano,

How do you know that they arent going to lift my ban? Do you know something I dont know? If this is the case then they had better archive all of my work. I can always have my traditionals cache hides removed by myself or friends.

And yes I have contacted the owners. They know who I am and have met me before. My emails have went unswered. The only thing I know to do is actually go to the HQ for GS in Seattle on Roy street. Its open to the public...

Is there any lawyers here that can express what can be done about my caches that I dont have access too? What about if Im never allowed back and GS keeps my caches active?

Why don't you just create a new account? They are not going to lift your ban anyway. Have you tried to contact the owner of GS directly?

brdad
07-31-2010, 06:06 AM
You've had your chance to ban me from this forum, but apparently you can't/won't for some odd reason. Like I have said before, enforce your guidelines and be rid of me. I really don't care either way.

I sent a PM a month ago explaining why you were not removed from the site. If you feel you need to rant on about it, there should be another thread, preferably in the board members area.

It is too bad we have veered this way, this thread is a pretty interesting topic IMO.

CARoperPhotography
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
I sent a PM a month ago explaining why you were not removed from the site. If you feel you need to rant on about it, there should be another thread, preferably in the board members area.

It is too bad we have veered this way, this thread is a pretty interesting topic IMO.

Just making my point, in public.

Cav Scout
08-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Any other questions about my ban or questions about my run ins with GS?

CARoperPhotography
08-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Have you ever had any issues dealing with cachers who put in a needless request to have one of your caches archived?

Cav Scout
08-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Yes I do. Its usually from cachers who dont want to post a picture of themselves:mad:.

I had one request to have a earthcache shut down because the nearby cache owner said I was to close to his traditional cache and he was afraid that my listing woul dget his cache muggled:confused:. He even posted a note on his cache page telling others to boycot earthcaches and any caches owned by Cav Scout. Groundspeak made him remove the that paragraph:p.

I think the cache owner didnt know that GS owns both earthcaching and geocaching:eek:.

Have you ever had any issues dealing with cachers who put in a needless request to have one of your caches archived?

Mainiac1957
08-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes I do. Its usually from cachers who dont want to post a picture of themselves:mad:.

I had one request to have a earthcache shut down because the nearby cache owner said I was to close to his traditional cache and he was afraid that my listing woul dget his cache muggled:confused:. He even posted a note on his cache page telling others to boycot earthcaches and any caches owned by Cav Scout. Groundspeak made him remove the that paragraph:p.

I think the cache owner didnt know that GS owns both earthcaching and geocaching:eek:.

Really sad that a cache owner has nothing better to do than to cause that kind of hate and discontent.

Cav Scout
08-09-2010, 05:04 AM
I helped my girlfriend set up the earthcache this past spring when we went to MOGA. I found the COs cache and thought it would be a good area to have a EC due to all of the geodes on the walls of the cliff near the cache. The EC actually brought more people to the traditional cache. Check out GC26QYB Wall of Crystal Geodes. Theres not many earthcaches in that part of Missouri and all of the ones in Hannibal are owned by myself, my brother, and my girlfriend.

If you never heard of MOGA (Midwest Outdoor Geocaching Adventures), I suggest looking at my profile on geocaching.com and look at my attended events for MOGA. My brother and myself win each year for our age group. MOGA is a lot of fun. I have not been able to log the event due to my ban but that doesnt prevent me from attending this cool event yearly.

MOGA is a orienteering (with a GPS) competition of running through the woods and finding 30 caches in 3 hours. The terrain is rugged, hilly, lakes, thorns, chiggers, and lots of great people to hang out with.

I go each year.

Really sad that a cache owner has nothing better to do than to cause that kind of hate and discontent.