View Full Version : A different, yet PROMISING type of Muggle Activity!

CARoperPhotography
07-12-2010, 05:07 PM
I received this kind and interesting email from Groundspeak today. I have since disabled the cache and will replace myself in the coming days... any thoughts?

"Hi Chadd,

I hope you are doing well! A muggle recently found and took your cache GC22QVM near the Maine Turnpike and I wanted to get it back to you. You may want to disable it in the meantime as I see a few cachers have DNFed it since then. If you could please give me your permission to send your email address to the muggle, I will ask him to contact you and figure out a way to ship it to you.

Thanks so much!

Best Regards, Sara

Community Relations Representative"

JustKev
07-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Interesting. Maybe the muggle thought you lost it. Were there marbles in it, too?

CARoperPhotography
07-12-2010, 05:12 PM
No, it is a micro. Maybe room for one of my lost marbles. Not all.... hopefully the muggle will soon be a Geocacher!

brdad
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
This reminded me of a few years back, a kid found a cache (IIRC, it was a larger Tupperware) and took it home with him. I thik this was in the PA area. When the mother found out she found the stash note and checked out the web site. She came into national chat and asked what to do, and after prompted had the kid return the cache to it's proper spot. She hung out in the chat for a few weeks saying how it would be nice to start caching herself, but she did not have money for a GPSr. before long, a collection was taken up and a GPSr was sent to her...

Then, she was gone. No more activity from her account and never heard from her again.

Hopefully this works out to something more positive!

JustKev
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
No, it is a micro. Maybe room for one of my lost marbles. Not all.... hopefully the muggle will soon be a Geocacher!

You caught that. :)

WhereRWe?
07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
This reminded me of a few years back, a kid found a cache (IIRC, it was a larger Tupperware) and took it home with him. I thik this was in the PA area. When the mother found out she found the stash note and checked out the web site. She came into national chat and asked what to do, and after prompted had the kid return the cache to it's proper spot. She hung out in the chat for a few weeks saying how it would be nice to start caching herself, but she did not have money for a GPSr. before long, a collection was taken up and a GPSr was sent to her...

Then, she was gone. No more activity from her account and never heard from her again.

Sheesh! I think I've heard this story before, and I think I bought her GPSr on eBay! :eek::eek:

lexmano
07-12-2010, 08:55 PM
I hid a series of caches along the Presumpscot river in Westbrook and one of them, Stepping Stone B, washed away during a large rain storm. It was a moderately large Lock N Lock.

About five months later I received an email from Groundspeak giving me the name and telephone number of someone in Falmouth who had the cache. I was intrigued and called to learn that he had found it along the shore on Mackworth Island. About 7 miles as the crow flies and nearly 10 along the river from where it had been placed.

I had long since replaced the cache, but it was fun to meet the fellow and retrieve it. He had found it and using the GC references in it contacted Groundspeak and obtained my e-mail address. I don't think he was interested enough to become a cacher, however.

I have had to replace the cache again and now the original container is back in play.:)

hollora
07-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I believe there is an ammo can somewhere in the park behind Bangor High School. It was found by a muggle and taken. They returned and put it back where they "thought it went" but not where it should have been. Maybe someone doing Creepy Crawlers will someday stumble upon it.

NativeMainer
07-12-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't remember all the details, but a few years back, someone found a geocache somewhere in Florida and took it. For some reason, whoever took the cache hid it near a published cache in New Hampshire. I remember hearing about it on Bass Chaz's podcast.

Ekidokai
07-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I believe there is an ammo can somewhere in the park behind Bangor High School. It was found by a muggle and taken. They returned and put it back where they "thought it went" but not where it should have been. Maybe someone doing Creepy Crawlers will someday stumble upon it.

How about a link.

masterson of the universe
07-13-2010, 01:32 PM
How about a link.

I believe this was the Prentice Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a1aeb66f-5085-401b-af48-3176a499ab16). I remember looking pretty hard for this one as when I found it, I just had an E-Trex Legend and because of the tree cover, it had a lot of trouble holding a strong signal. From what I remember it was an actual .30 cal ammo can well labeled and no where near the trail where someone would have stumbled across it.

CARoperPhotography
07-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Sheesh! I think I've heard this story before, and I think I bought her GPSr on eBay! :eek::eek:

Ahhh.... yes eBay the pawn shop of the online-era

hollora
07-13-2010, 07:28 PM
I believe this was the Prentice Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a1aeb66f-5085-401b-af48-3176a499ab16). I remember looking pretty hard for this one as when I found it, I just had an E-Trex Legend and because of the tree cover, it had a lot of trouble holding a strong signal. From what I remember it was an actual .30 cal ammo can well labeled and no where near the trail where someone would have stumbled across it.

MOU - yes, that is it - you are right! It was an ammo can - placed off the trail and under a large tree down wit some sticks over it.

I do believe it was probably placed back somewhere out there - it is just under which downed tree - LOL Which One?

There was sort of a cross over path where it was hidden and I remember well, when I found it saying - anyone wandering through the area who happened to sit down and take a rest (if they were wandering off trail) could easily find it.

So if you are in the "woods" doing Creepy Crawlers and feel the need to wander off trail and sit on a downed tree - look around - you may recover this one.:)

Ekidokai
07-13-2010, 11:44 PM
That link didn't work for me try this one. http://coord.info/GCHNDV

I'll be looking for that one. I need another ammo box for a project.

brdad
07-18-2010, 06:49 AM
I have deleted a few objectionable posts and any references to them. Please keep any posts within the terms of the Geocaching Maine User Agreement (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=agreement).

If you are offended by any member's post, my suggestion is that you refrain from replying which often only escalates the topic which you wish was not brought up to begin with. Instead, report the post by clicking the http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/buttons/report.gif icon in the top right corner of the post. It would also help if you would specify which section(s) of the user agreement the post has violated.

It would be nice if more people used this feature.

Carry on!

brdad
07-18-2010, 06:49 AM
So, did you get your cache back?

Ekidokai
07-18-2010, 09:05 AM
That is of interest to me too. I would like to know the rest of the story on how the person came across the cache, what they thought it was and why they contacted GC.com instead of putting it back.