View Full Version : Keep or sell?

firefighterjake
07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
For several weeks now I have had a dilemna . . . a decision . . . and try as I can I cannot come up with a final decision and so I'm turning to you folks for input.

My dilemna is this . . . my 2000 Toyota 4Runner has a badly rusting rear differential. I've fixed it now with a temporary patch (well the garage fixed it) . . . but since the first patch failed I don't have a lot of faith in the second patch.

If I opt to make a permanent repair the cost will be $700-$1,000 (not including labor). On top of this I am currently driving around with the check engine light on due to a faulty oxygen sensor (another $200) which my mechanic says shouldn't be an issue unless I notice it not running normal.

A little background . . . this is my "spare" vehicle. Generally I only use it for camping, hauling firewood/lumber/ATVs/sleds or for use on those slippery days in the winter. It is not my main vehicle, but on the days I use it generally I'm hauling something or going somewhere on a trip . . . it is not the vehicle I drive around the town of Unity.

If you've done the math it is about 10 years old and has 114,000 or so miles on it.

So my question . . . keep it and fix it up . . . or sell it while it still has some value ($4,500-$5,500 to a dealer).

I keep waffling on this issue since:

* It is paid for with no car payments every month which is nice since my wife and I are renovating the house
* It's in decent shape and has been reliable until recently
* It has relatively low miles
* I only use it intermittently and it has worked OK for my needs

On the other hand:

* I keep thinking of the cost to repair it permanently and correctly and wonder if it is worth putting into a vehicle at this age
* I find myself wondering if other components may fail on it and if this is the start to many repair bills
* My needs/wants have changed . . . I could use a pick-up now much more than I could use a SUV

So any input . . . any ideas . . . keep it or can it? I honestly go back and forth on this issue . . . one day I'm ready to sell . . . and the next day I think the best thing to do is keep it.

firefighterjake
07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
As a follow up post . . . the vehicle I'm considering replacing the 4Runner with is a newer model Ford F-150 . . . a 2008 pick-up. The price is good and the payments would fit the budget (assuming the dealership would be in the ballpark for trade in figures) . . . but it has 74,000 miles.

WhereRWe?
07-20-2010, 01:20 PM
For several weeks now I have had a dilemna . . . a decision . . . and try as I can I cannot come up with a final decision and so I'm turning to you folks for input.

My dilemna is this . . . my 2000 Toyota 4Runner has a badly rusting rear differential. I've fixed it now with a temporary patch (well the garage fixed it) . . . but since the first patch failed I don't have a lot of faith in the second patch.

My initial thought is - why have you had to repair a rusting differential TWICE? I'm not a mechanic, but I thought differentials lasted for ever! (And the car is ONLY 10 years old). :eek:

Or is it just because it's a TOYota? :D:D

firefighterjake
07-20-2010, 01:27 PM
My initial thought is - why have you had to repair a rusting differential TWICE? I'm not a mechanic, but I thought differentials lasted for ever! (And the car is ONLY 10 years old). :eek:

Or is it just because it's a TOYota? :D:D

Apparently this is a rather common issue with Toyota 4Runners from 99-01 . . . I'm not as lucky as some owners who went 180K before having to replace the differential cover (technically the rear differential axle housing), but I'm luckier than some who replaced it before hitting 26 K.

Like you . . . I'm a bit surprised to find myself needing to replace this part . . . as I figured the differential cover is pretty darn tough . . . and well Toyota has . . . had . . . a reputation for reliability.

JustPJ66
07-20-2010, 01:52 PM
I am not mechanic but it sounds like your putting good money into bad car...

i wouldnt go ford myself but that is probably quite another thread LOL

Sudonim
07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
A 10 year old Toyota truck is still new in my book. It has (relatively) low mileage, but has that old Toyota truck curse, rust. In my experience, if you can keep that under control, the truck will run forever. The one engine related thing is to change the timing belt EVERY 60,000 miles. That breaks and you buy a new engine.

hollora
07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Ask your FF person Dave - he worked at Toyota and knows the ins and outs - and has some inside tracts. Shoot him an email, catch him on D crew, he doesn't come on here often.

dufzor
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
A 10 year old Toyota truck is still new in my book. It has (relatively) low mileage, but has that old Toyota truck curse, rust. In my experience, if you can keep that under control, the truck will run forever. The one engine related thing is to change the timing belt EVERY 60,000 miles. That breaks and you buy a new engine.

As a former Toyota truck owner, I would have to agree with Sudonim on all counts. The only thing I would ad is after breaking a timing belt 2X, the mechanic (different one than replaced the first one) told me to always use OEM oil filters in the truck and that if I did, it would never happen again. It didn't. Truck was sold when it was very OLD with over 200K on it and the bed rusted out. If you get the Ford, which seems to be high millage to start out, you will have payments and any repairs that are coming down the pike. Just my 2 cents worth. :D

WhereRWe?
07-20-2010, 05:53 PM
If you get the Ford, which seems to be high millage to start out, you will have payments and any repairs that are coming down the pike. Just my 2 cents worth. :D

We've been Ford owners for many years, and I don't want to get into a "which make is better" war. But that does seem like awfully high mileage for a 2-year old truck... :confused::confused:

darterkitfox
07-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Maybe the Ford was owned by a cacher. Those 3 hour one way drives just to get to a breakfast to stay on Ekidokais good side, can sure add a lot of mileage to a vehicle.

shuman road searchers
07-20-2010, 08:41 PM
I just went through the same thing. My old car ( 5 years,130000 miles) needed repairs. I had everything fixed on it and went and bought a new one. I kept the old one for the boy to drive next year when he gets his learners permit. I bet this does not help you Jake!

brdad
07-20-2010, 09:29 PM
The way I see it you can spend $2400 a year on a vehicle and it'd still be a ton less than payments on a new one! At the same time, sometimes it's just worth it to have a change. :)