View Full Version : Parade Magazine

TeamHorwich
07-25-2010, 08:28 AM
In today's Parade...In "15 Ways To Enjoy Your Summer" No.9 is "Try A New Sport" which includes Disc-Golf, Sphere-riding, and Geocaching....and here is the funny part....listed under "What You Need: A GPS, hiking shoes, a car, in some cases: endurance; and low expectations for treasures that can be less than exciting." ?!? I'm sure people are flocking to GC.com now...I guess I'm going sphere-riding this afternoon instead :confused:

dufzor
07-25-2010, 08:57 AM
In today's Parade...In "15 Ways To Enjoy Your Summer" No.9 is "Try A New Sport" which includes Disc-Golf, Sphere-riding, and Geocaching....and here is the funny part....listed under "What You Need: A GPS, hiking shoes, a car, in some cases: endurance; and low expectations for treasures that can be less than exciting." ?!? I'm sure people are flocking to GC.com now...I guess I'm going sphere-riding this afternoon instead :confused:
Please tell us all about it when you get back! LOL :D

brdad
07-25-2010, 09:28 AM
While I may share that sentiment to some degree, it is unfortunate the writer felt compelled to add that bit in. It would be easy to find something negative to say about any of those activities if a person wanted to (well, except for sphere-riding maybe). If they were writing pros and cons for each, then that would be different.

Cache the way you want to cache, hide what you like to find, no cache is one size fits all, but a decent percentage of caches would not compel a new cacher to go find another. Numbers caches appeal to many veteran cachers, but I think most new cachers do not start caching for that reason.

cano
07-25-2010, 11:10 AM

Where I can do this sphere riding? I've done it few times and it's a lot of fun :)

brdad
07-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Where I can do this sphere riding? I've done it few times and it's a lot of fun :)

You find the sphere and we'll make another trip up Halfmile! And I'll try and push you hard enough to make it to the pond!

hollora
07-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Well, for a newbie they can do a nano cache and disc golf right on Center Drive in Orrington! ;)

Team V3
07-25-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't know about up North, but down here new cachers are always coming into the forums and really loving the activity. My point is that these cachers are returning to the game after finding their first few caches. Granted, it is a game that is not for everyone, but what game is? As long as the cacher count is on the rise, geocaching will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

firefighterjake
07-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Sphere Riding

What is it: Riding in a sphere.

What You Need: A sphere, empty stomach, bonine . . . and the demented desire to be hurtled down a hill at breakneck speed.

Team V3
07-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I get the image of two possible scenarios here. Running around inside a ball like a hamster in his wheel.....or being stuck in a big bubble like those poor people that suffer from various medical conditions. In any case, many of the trails I go on while caching would be very difficult in a sphere or bubble so I think I will pass. :)

EMSDanel
07-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Ooooooohhhhh ...that's what sphere riding is! I thought it was some sort of goat.

Team V3
07-28-2010, 09:21 AM
How about caching while sphere riding and evading disc golfers?

JustKev
07-28-2010, 12:17 PM
How about caching while sphere riding and evading disc golfers?

Why not run 'em over with your sphere and then mark a waypoint on your GPS?

:eek:

brdad
07-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Why not run 'em over with your sphere and then mark a waypoint on your GPS?

:eek:

Too bad there wasn't some way to log a find on every blade of grass you ran over on your way down the hill. :p

JustKev
07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Too bad there wasn't some way to log a find on every blade of grass you ran over on your way down the hill. :p

you're into the numbers thing like that brdad guy.