View Full Version : Portland Area Geocaching Presentation.

WhereRWe?
07-25-2010, 05:45 PM
I have email from a new member who is affiliated with the Windham Land Trust, and who is looking for an experienced geocacher to do a 1/2 to 1 hour presentation on geocaching to that group.

I emailed a couple of GCM.org members and got no response, then I posted a message on the "Advisory Board" thread and got no response, so now I'm opening the request to the general membership.

And suggestions as to anyone who I could refer this person to? Anyone interested in doing a presentation on geocaching?

Thanks.

NativeMainer
07-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Depending on the timing, I might be interested. It'd be great if I had a cohort, I mean co-presenter.

WhereRWe?
07-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Depending on the timing, I might be interested. It'd be great if I had a cohort, I mean co-presenter.

I've agonized over the lack of response for a couple of days, but Gary (Team2Hunt) emailed me this afternoon, volunteering in response to this request. Sheesh! I should have thought of him immediately as he would be a good ambassador and an effective speaker for geocaching.

Thanks for offering to help. I'd suggest contacting Gary to see what develops - perhaps he'd like some assistance.

:D

brdad
07-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry, this kept slipping my mind. T2H would be a great choice, and if Native Mainer can assist that might be a plus too!

hollora
07-25-2010, 09:10 PM
T2H - great choice and about as local as they get! Gary's background is training too.

NativeMainer
07-25-2010, 09:58 PM
All righty then. Just let me know if I can help in the presentation in any way.

CARoperPhotography
07-26-2010, 01:42 PM
They approached me last week via e-mail and I forwarded the info to Team2Hunt, DSKG and TeamHorwich..... but I'd be happy to show them the SeriousTool methods of caching.... and hopefully create some MORE SeriousTools!

Team2hunt
10-04-2010, 06:27 PM
I have email from a new member who is affiliated with the Windham Land Trust, and who is looking for an experienced geocacher to do a 1/2 to 1 hour presentation on geocaching to that group.

I emailed a couple of GCM.org members and got no response, then I posted a message on the "Advisory Board" thread and got no response, so now I'm opening the request to the general membership.

And suggestions as to anyone who I could refer this person to? Anyone interested in doing a presentation on geocaching?

Thanks.

Sorry to be posting this so close to the actual event. For anyone who is interested, the presentation will be 7:00PM this Wednesday October 6th at the Windham Public Library, on the Windham Center Road. Any and everyone is welcome. If there is a need to do a second presentation, the plan would be to do a Saturday and make it an event. I might pair up a few experienced cachers with the newbies and grab the Windham Land Trust caches.

JustKev
10-04-2010, 07:02 PM
T2H - great choice and about as local as they get! Gary's background is training too.

....he used to train for Home Depot. YUCK!!!

:D

I know, he trained in the store where I worked a time or two.

Waterski
10-04-2010, 10:09 PM
You might check with circles if you need any help in this way. She has done a recent presentation is working with one of the conservation groups, but I am not sure which one.

pm28570
10-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I have email from a new member <deleted> then I posted a message on the "Advisory Board" thread and got no response,

Apologies for being off topic and not to derail the thread....however this is a little sad to hear of.
Hope presentation goes well, Gary.

Ekidokai
10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I have seen a few of these requests go out. I have made time to either travel many miles to do these or attend them.

Many people don't have the time. Many don't like public speaking. Many don't feel confident enough. All this is understandable.

Nothing sad about it.

pm28570
10-05-2010, 01:05 PM
I have seen a few of these requests go out. I have made time to either travel many miles to do these or attend them.

Many people don't have the time. Many don't like public speaking. Many don't feel confident enough. All this is understandable.

Nothing sad about it.
Mike, my comment was more directed about the lack of response from board members to a member.
Certainly, I am familiar with the role that you personally have often taken in promoting our activity in a positive light. And....thank you for that. I feel that a response to a request.....either a yes or no.....is fairly easy to do as well as the right thing to do from those who have chosen to serve and give their time on the board.
Of course it's understandable not wanting to appear/speak in public. It's not for everyone. And I speak from experience, having been involved in training/public speaking for over 30 years.

brdad
10-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Mike, my comment was more directed about the lack of response from board members to a member.
Certainly, I am familiar with the role that you personally have often taken in promoting our activity in a positive light. And....thank you for that. I feel that a response to a request.....either a yes or no.....is fairly easy to do as well as the right thing to do from those who have chosen to serve and give their time on the board.
Of course it's understandable not wanting to appear/speak in public. It's not for everyone. And I speak from experience, having been involved in training/public speaking for over 30 years.

As is the case here in the forums, I often reply to board posts before the member submits his post! :p However, the board members (like the members) do have lives and sometimes that interferes. One of the issues in this case is we should have a list of candidates available that would make answering requests like this a bit easier. This idea has just come to front as the result of a member posting some ideas to the board. So perhaps in the future this may result in a quicker, more effective outcome. We're lucky that we have capable people like Gary to step in and help with projects like this, and he will definitely be on that list with his ok.

CARoperPhotography
10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Sorry to be posting this so close to the actual event. For anyone who is interested, the presentation will be 7:00PM this Wednesday October 6th at the Windham Public Library, on the Windham Center Road. Any and everyone is welcome. If there is a need to do a second presentation, the plan would be to do a Saturday and make it an event. I might pair up a few experienced cachers with the newbies and grab the Windham Land Trust caches.

And why is this not an Event Cache, Gary? ha ha

Team2hunt
10-06-2010, 05:22 AM
And why is this not an Event Cache, Gary? ha ha

I was afraid that you would show up. :rolleyes:

dubord207
10-06-2010, 06:36 AM
I've done several presentations in the Central Maine area, including junior high schools, boy scout troops and a trail group. I'm in the process of putting together a power point script although with kids seem to like the geocoins, variety of cache containers and of course the GPS units.

Put me on the list of available speakers and I encourage others that enjoy this sort of thing to add their name to the list of speakers.

CARoperPhotography
10-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I was afraid that you would show up. :rolleyes:

I'd be wearing my t-shirt too :D

Team2hunt
10-06-2010, 08:34 PM
We had 15 enthusiastic people show up and I'm sure a few of them are making plans to find their first cache. Lots of questions and I had a blast sharing some of my stories with everyone. The Windham Land Trust has granted me permission for a few new hides and I'll be placing them soon.

Team2hunt
10-06-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd be wearing my t-shirt too :D

I was wearing mine. :cool: