View Full Version : Cache at Seminary Hill

brdad
07-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I was looking to see if the new cache placed at the event was active and discovered there is another cache 470 feet away, so it looks like that cache may not get published.

Still was a nice event!

hollora
07-31-2010, 09:03 PM
I was looking to see if the new cache placed at the event was active and discovered there is another cache 470 feet away, so it looks like that cache may not get published.

Still was a nice event!

Ah yes, I noticed that on my GPS and it is a Puzzle Cache ? Bricklayers Pig Pen (GC21D52). I suspect you are right BRDad as this puzzle cache may inhibit the publishing of the one Ribnag hoped to have published as a permanent cache.

Perhaps it can be worked out - did mainehockeyfan get permission? and could the beginning coords for MHF's one be moved to accomodate a nice permanent ammo can hide on the grounds?

Working together this all may be workable. I never did finish that puzzle so don't know the location of the final anyway for the Pigpen one.

Agreed - a wonderful, generous, fun filled event for sure!

Hiram357
07-31-2010, 09:03 PM

Still was a nice event!

agreed, cache or not it was a great turnout and a nice day for it too. I'm sure the cache can be moved 100' away somewhere on the property... :rolleyes:

great to see so many that showed up to this one, had a great time. :D

hollora
07-31-2010, 09:09 PM
agreed, cache or not it was a great turnout and a nice day for it too. I'm sure the cache can be moved 100' away somewhere on the property... :rolleyes:

great to see so many that showed up to this one, had a great time. :D

Ah - the permenant cache (ammo can) is in a perfect spot - make the mystery cache person move his coords (and I bet he will if asked)..........and ???? Did he get permission. I small but relevant point.

brdad
07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Actually, I failed to recognize the Playpen as a puzzle cache. Hopefully the actual cache is 60' more in the opposite direction.
There may be hope yet!

Sudonim
07-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Ah yes, I noticed that on my GPS and it is a Puzzle Cache ? Bricklayers Pig Pen (GC21D52). I suspect you are right BRDad as this puzzle cache may inhibit the publishing of the one Ribnag hoped to have published as a permanent cache.

Perhaps it can be worked out - did mainehockeyfan get permission? and could the beginning coords for MHF's one be moved to accomodate a nice permanent ammo can hide on the grounds?

Working together this all may be workable. I never did finish that puzzle so don't know the location of the final anyway for the Pigpen one.

Agreed - a wonderful, generous, fun filled event for sure!

Bricklayer's Pigpen is actually mine (GC20WK2). Bricklayer's Playpen is the GC21D52 cache.

hollora
07-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Bricklayer's Pigpen is actually mine (GC20WK2). Bricklayer's Playpen is the GC21D52 cache.

Sorry Sudonim - you are right - I guess it is Playpen which is the sort of offender here and that belongs to Mainehockeyfan.

Regardless - I hope a resolve may come. Thanks for pointing this out and my apology to you.

Sudonim
07-31-2010, 09:35 PM
No prob. Sorry I missed the event today, but we got busy at work. Something about a nice warm Saturday brings out the car stereo fans :)

hollora
07-31-2010, 09:50 PM
No prob. Sorry I missed the event today, but we got busy at work. Something about a nice warm Saturday brings out the car stereo fans :)

We missed you but understood - for you in your business - this is good! No worries Andy!

Hiram357
07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
pfffft yeah right... you better move it or else!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

i can get really high pitched squeaky voiced when i'm angry..... ;);):rolleyes::confused::p:D

dufzor
07-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Sorry to have missed this one. Could not get away from the home repair situation. Could have used the free lunch too since they had to shut down my water supply and propane to move the house! I could smell those burgers from here!

Ekidokai
07-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Since everyone involved in the new geocaching endeavor has no knowledge of the cache by Maine hockey fan. I would seriously wonder about who and how permission was obtained.

Seems to be a running theme with certain cachers around this area.

Mainiac1957
08-01-2010, 06:27 AM
that 75 to 90 percent of caches in this state are just there.

cano
08-01-2010, 11:22 AM
None of you have any idea where the cache is actually placed, yet you keep bitching about it. How predictable, I'm not surprised at all.

brdad
08-01-2010, 11:28 AM
None of you have any idea where the cache is actually placed, yet you keep bitching about it. How predictable, I'm not surprised at all.

I've been trying to figure out the puzzle to see what the actual footage is, but I guess I am having serious mental block today.

Mapachi
08-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Since when was the final location on a puzzle cache a concern?!
I have (final location) caches, with-in 50 feet of other caches!

cano
08-01-2010, 11:57 AM

who approved that? :P

Ekidokai
08-01-2010, 12:23 PM
that 75 to 90 percent of caches in this state are just there.

But there is oviously a difference when putting one on private property when a cache is placed on a businesses parking lot, in the backyard of a house next to a park, on an island with a camp on it or so forth, and in a gaurd rail, powerline, or out in the woods.

I had a problem once with permission on a cache. I got permission from the property owner but because of the neighbrs harseing peope because of their alzimers I just archived it. As with another thread and a few caches I see get archived because people did not get permission, I think this sort is going to get a bad name because of actions like this one. How can a cache be placed or in this case just the reference point on private property, in the city?

Ekidokai
08-01-2010, 12:29 PM

The reference point is on private property which no doubt will cause problems. No permission for caches being placed is what we are bitching about.

Pretty predictable about someone complaining and missing the point completely.

cano
08-01-2010, 12:45 PM
The reference point is on private property which no doubt will cause problems. No permission for caches being placed is what we are bitching about.

Pretty predictable about someone complaining and missing the point completely.

You can place a reference point where ever you want. It's just a number in a database. It's not on anyones property.

fins2right
08-01-2010, 09:04 PM

That's true. I placed a cache in the morning in Sidney then did one of Mapachi's puzzle caches the next week. I was a little shocked to discover my Faux Pas. I emailed quick to apologize and fixed it as fast as I could.

tat
08-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapachi http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=68049#post68049)
I have (final location) caches, with-in 50 feet of other caches

who approved that? :P

Ooops! I hope it wasn't me, but, as many of you know I am MainePublisher. Reviewers try hard to let cache hiders know about these issues before the cache is published. Likely I missed this so please accept my apology to both hider and finders.

"Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline."

This can be especially confusing for cache finders because they know they can count on the final location being at least 528 feet. There may be folks that solved the puzzle correctly, but never seek the cache because the coordinates appear wrong.

Mapachi
08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
This can be especially confusing for cache finders because they know they can count on the final location being at least 528 feet. There may be folks that solved the puzzle correctly, but never seek the cache because the coordinates appear wrong.

That's exactly what happened! I saw a cache placed where my final location of a puzzle cache was. I said nothing. Later a cacher left a note that they didn't look for the cache because there was already a regular cache there! And yes I think it was a Fins2right cache.:)

ribnag
08-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Just to add some data to this discussion...

I didn't solve MaineHockeyFan's puzzle before trying to list the new cache, which I should have. Even so, I still placed the new one just barely too close to the listed coordinate (450 feet rather than 520). My fault on both counts, even though he didn't have permission to place his in the first place.

I have since solved his puzzle (about five minutes after getting the rejection letter from Groundspeak :( ), and discovered that the pair of coordinates (listed and real) would preclude any use of the Seminary Hill campus for another cache.

Sooooooo...

I have contacted MaineHockeyFan, and he expressed a complete willingness to move the listed coordinate for his puzzle cache to a spot that works for both of us - He won't have to take a decent puzzle cache out of the field, and we can place our own cache at Seminary Hill (not exactly at our first choice of locations, but at least on the campus).

So it looks like we don't have any insurmountable problems here - I apologize for having said I'd get a new cache out for the event and then taking so long to get it listed, but all should end well. :D

ribnag
08-05-2010, 07:31 PM
"Non-physical caches or stages including reference points, trailhead/parking coordinates and question to answer waypoints are exempt from this guideline."

Wait - So for puzzle caches, wouldn't that tend to make the *listed* location effectively just a nonphysical parking coordinate?

Not asking for any special treatment, but can you tell me which one 2CJ12 failed for (as I mention, I've since solved the puzzle, so not giving anything away)? I think the solution we've come up with should address both cases, but now I wonder if we needed to bother, or if I should have taken the counter-intuitive step of moving it closer to the listed coordinate for 21D52... :o

Hiram357
08-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Just to add some data to this discussion...

I didn't solve MaineHockeyFan's puzzle before trying to list the new cache, which I should have. Even so, I still placed the new one just barely too close to the listed coordinate (450 feet rather than 520). My fault on both counts, even though he didn't have permission to place his in the first place.

I have since solved his puzzle (about five minutes after getting the rejection letter from Groundspeak :( ), and discovered that the pair of coordinates (listed and real) would preclude any use of the Seminary Hill campus for another cache.

Sooooooo...

I have contacted MaineHockeyFan, and he expressed a complete willingness to move the listed coordinate for his puzzle cache to a spot that works for both of us - He won't have to take a decent puzzle cache out of the field, and we can place our own cache at Seminary Hill (not exactly at our first choice of locations, but at least on the campus).

So it looks like we don't have any insurmountable problems here - I apologize for having said I'd get a new cache out for the event and then taking so long to get it listed, but all should end well. :D

*sarcasm filter enabled* NOW WAIT JUST ONE SECOND THERE SKIPPY!!! THERE'S ONE REALLY IMPORTANT QUESTION TO ALL OF THIS.....

Will all of our signatures on the logbook still count as a find?? And will we all get a co-ftf, because we worked really hard on fitting all of our names in there before Mainiac's signature at the top..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:p;)

ribnag
08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Hiram357 : Will all of our signatures on the logbook still count as a find?

I'll leave that up to each of you... If you feel a personal need to re-sign it, go ahead and stop by some day; If not, I won't delete your logs from GC.com. :)

As for FTF... You guys made a right mess of that first page. :rolleyes:

brdad
08-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Good work Ben, on getting it fixed and figuring the %^$&* puzzle out out. I must be looking too hard into that durn thing.

As for your question in chat, yes, it's IRC! Sorry I was not paying attention to respond.

Hiram357
08-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Hiram357 : Will all of our signatures on the logbook still count as a find?

I'll leave that up to each of you... If you feel a personal need to re-sign it, go ahead and stop by some day; If not, I won't delete your logs from GC.com. :)

As for FTF... You guys made a right mess of that first page. :rolleyes:

heh, that's good, because we all know how Brad is about those numbers...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:;);):D:D

hollora
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Nice work everyone! Now, (scratching head).........someday I will get that puzzle done..............

Mainiac1957
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
heh, that's good, because we all know how Brad is about those numbers...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:;);):D:D

Numbers, numbers, numbers yipppeeee!!!

Puh-lease :rolleyes:

hollora
08-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Numbers, numbers, numbers yipppeeee!!!

Puh-lease :rolleyes:

I'll have to look - ;) - someone must have a number FTF coin! :eek: How many are you at now bucky???? :)

Mainiac1957
08-06-2010, 06:03 AM
A few.................:rolleyes: