View Full Version : Hey Kayaker Cachers out there...

JustPJ66
08-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I am wondering if any of you kayaker cachers know of any good spots to get wild elderberries? They tend to grow in wet areas and wondered if anyone has been seeing alot of them lately? right now the bushes are loaded with green to blueish berries and if I can find enough spots...in a couple of weeks when they are ripe enough I want to collect some and make some wild elderberry jam....best stuff on earth!!!

anyway if anyone knows of any spots that have a bunch let me know.

Thanks
Pam

JustPJ66
08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
BTW if anyone knows where there are a LOT of them ...it could be worth its a jam payment LOL

Ekidokai
08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Are you looking for the red or purple ones?

JustPJ66
08-10-2010, 01:14 PM
purple ones, the red ones are toxic

JustPJ66
08-10-2010, 01:28 PM
to tell the truth they both are toxic raw....but the purple toxins cook out...(breakdown in the cooking process). Been making elderberry jam , when i can get the berries, all my life. love the stuff.

Gob-ler
08-10-2010, 09:09 PM
How many do you want? Here in PA they are everywhere. We have picked some 50 or so pounds in two stops the other day.

Here in PA they are not in the wet areas, more up above the wet areas on the side hills. You cannot miss the deep purple clusters of berries.

How much do you need?

vicbiker
08-10-2010, 10:14 PM
The green bridge just below my house in Abbot has lots of elderberries...I have picked them there for years for a woman who used to live in Monson...she always made jam every year. She has since moved away and as far as I know no one picks them now.

masterson of the universe
08-10-2010, 11:55 PM
" Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries !! "

JustPJ66
08-11-2010, 04:58 AM
well PA is a bit far to go for jam LOL but it sounds like you hit the jackpot if you got 50 poundsWOW, but Abbot sounds promissing. Where abouts exactly? we went up to the lawnsale and I think that was your house right? cant picture the bridge. Dont get there much...but sure would make a trip for elderberries tho. They are not ripe yet up there are they? Here they are just starting but we can only locate a few scant bushes...the winter salt and the flail mowing has destroyed all the good roadside areas we used to get them at. Oh this sounds promising...got me all psyched now!! hehe

JustPJ66
08-11-2010, 05:00 AM
well PA is a bit far to go for jam LOL but it sounds like you hit the jackpot if you got 50 poundsWOW, but Abbot sounds promissing. Where abouts exactly? we went up to the lawnsale and I think that was your house right? cant picture the bridge. Dont get there much...but sure would make a trip for elderberries tho. They are not ripe yet up there are they? Here they are just starting but we can only locate a few scant bushes...the winter salt and the flail mowing has destroyed all the good roadside areas we used to get them at. Oh this sounds promising...got me all psyched now!! hehe

should add we are hoping to get enough for 2 or 3 batches of jam. not looking for a ton or anything....that should be about 6-8 qt

Hiram357
08-11-2010, 06:24 AM
" Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberries !! "

"be gone or I shall taunt you a second time!" :p:p:p

Hiram357
08-11-2010, 06:25 AM
I am wondering if any of you kayaker cachers know of any good spots to get wild elderberries? They tend to grow in wet areas and wondered if anyone has been seeing alot of them lately? right now the bushes are loaded with green to blueish berries and if I can find enough spots...in a couple of weeks when they are ripe enough I want to collect some and make some wild elderberry jam....best stuff on earth!!!

anyway if anyone knows of any spots that have a bunch let me know.

Thanks
Pam

when they are green and blueish colored, are they called youthberries? :rolleyes::D

JustPJ66
08-11-2010, 06:27 AM
when they are green and blueish colored, are they called youthberries? :rolleyes::D

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
OH BROTHER LOL

pjpreb
08-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Will you be at the Eustis event? Are you willing to let us sample your jam? I've never had elderberry jam and you have me intrigued...

JustPJ66
08-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I WISH I was going to be at Eustis but the hubby works all but one weekend a month...retail..it sucks. However if I can get enough berries I would be happy to do a sampling if we can get to an event once in a while. Maybe I will make one jar a first to find prize LOL

Ekidokai
08-13-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right berries. I was in a bunch of them near the Heads of a fiddle cache. They were still very green so I'm not sure which kind they are. Never picked them just had people tell me what they were and not to eat them when I would point them out on the trails.

JustPJ66
08-13-2010, 04:21 AM
if you go to bing.com and tell it you want pictures of elderberries they have some good ones both wild and cultivated. Yes they are green when not ripe but there are other berries that look similar too. Wouldnt surprise me if they were at that site tho. They grow wild all over...or they used to but around here they are getting quite scarce....i cant wait to hear back from Vicbiker about this place in abbot....and wish i was planning a trip to PA for all those that gobbler got!! It takes quite a few to make a quart as the berries are really quite small.

Ekidokai
08-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Wish I could remember to look this stuff up. I come from the days before computers where the library was the place to go, or the crazy bum that lived in the bushes outside the creepy old house.

Yes those are the berries I saw but they were all green so I can't tell you if they are the poison ones yet. I say give them a try and see what happens.

JustPJ66
08-13-2010, 04:19 PM
they are probably the correct kind....but wont know for sure till a week or so...they are just ripening off here so wold expect another week there. and maybe another week in abbot....oh i do so love that jam....keep your eyes peeled folks hehe...oh and mike...iam making at least one batch of diabetic jam.....using splenda...still has natural fruit sugars but my mom who is insulin dependant can use it.

Ekidokai
08-15-2010, 11:51 PM
I am reading bad things about Splenda.

I look at it the way I was taught at the Joslin Clinic in Boston, moderation. Eat the good stuff and enjoy it. Don't over do it and make adjustments in diet, exercise and insulin.

JustPJ66
08-17-2010, 06:10 AM
I am still searching if anyone does find any.....Vicbiker if you wouldnt mind showing me where they are I will make a trip up to Abbot to get them....

wouldnt want to go all over creation for one or two bushes but these things USED to grow in large patches....but not anymore around here...bummer

I am going to go scrounge some from a few bushes we have found this year today...they are in good sun and are going ripe down here now.

hollora
08-17-2010, 07:35 PM
I am still searching if anyone does find any.....Vicbiker if you wouldnt mind showing me where they are I will make a trip up to Abbot to get them....

wouldnt want to go all over creation for one or two bushes but these things USED to grow in large patches....but not anymore around here...bummer

I am going to go scrounge some from a few bushes we have found this year today...they are in good sun and are going ripe down here now.

Vic is on vacation but I am sure will get back to you - due home I think Thursday.

JustPJ66
08-17-2010, 07:52 PM
oh thanks i was wondering about that. appreciate the info...i went out today and managed to get about 3 or 4 quarts.....not to bad a haul i guess from the limited bushes we have here.

pjpreb
08-21-2010, 04:38 PM
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/0ae54d6d-e892-4dea-ac30-f577d5d4b426.jpg

Found some while caching around Richardson lake a few years ago. GCXJ3A (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ee019603-aaa5-4b9b-aa44-7966045e0f0e)

Mainiac1957
08-22-2010, 06:51 PM
While paddling yesterday from the Tread Lightly campsite we saw quite a bunch along the stream we were on. Not sure they were them till now.

hollora
08-22-2010, 07:08 PM
green to red then blue - if that's the berry - the stream NW I would say from Saboomook campground is where Brad was talking..........they are along the shore nearly up to where you can paddle no more.

vicbiker
08-22-2010, 08:16 PM

I am going to go scrounge some from a few bushes we have found this year today...they are in good sun and are going ripe down here now.Give me a call @ 343-1735 or send me a email @ vic-biker@hotmail.com and I'll be glad to show you where they are.

JustPJ66
08-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Vicbiker - Email sent to ya