View Full Version : Countdown to Eustis

dubord207
08-12-2010, 05:32 AM
Hard to believe we're only 6 weeks out from the big weekend. Starting a new thread for a general discussion and plans we're all putting together.

Di and I will be up Thursday. I'm be there mid-morning and Di will arrive later with Nick and Bo. Nick has been on the wagon but we might turn him loose for this weekend.

I'm making a large batch of corn beef hash for breakfast. Is breakfast Friday or Saturday this year?

I'll confirm our tent site for those who'd like to stop in for a Bloody Mary.

JustKev
08-12-2010, 06:54 AM
Start a thread to rub it in we can't make it this year.

Camper needs massive renovations, tent was taken out by a wind gust when we were camping in July. Work schedule isn't in my favor for that weekend.

In other words, you are being mean.

:eek:

kayaking loon
08-12-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm making a large batch of corn beef hash for breakfast. Is breakfast Friday or Saturday this year?

Breakfast is Saturday morning. And I love corned beef hash! Are you making ribs for the pot luck????? I'm waiting. I've also hired a woman to help with the potluck. The first year I actually got to eat and it was the best pot luck I've ever been to. The second year we were mobbed and I didn't get to sit down. All I got was two of the ribs Dan cooked and a wonderful piece of apple and pear pie (by the way, who brought that???). So this year I'm going to EAT! :)

kayaking loon
08-12-2010, 07:56 AM

Camper needs massive renovations, tent was taken out by a wind gust when we were camping in July. Work schedule isn't in my favor for that weekend.

We have motels.. and B&Bs. But I can't do much about your work schedule. Sorry!

pm28570
08-12-2010, 08:27 AM

In other words, you are being mean.:eek:

I know this is already decided but.....

I can lend you a tent....
I can call you in sick....
I can lead you to water....

What about swapping schedules?

JustPJ66
08-12-2010, 08:41 AM
thanks everyone...maybe Kev and I will make the next years event....just think my elderberry jam and Dubord207's bloody marys.....breakfast of champions hehe

hollora
08-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Francis Family and I are planning on heading up Wednesday and we have reservations for lot #1. It is moose hunting season for family. Not sure what we are bringing yet but will post to this tread and on GC.com when we work it out.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

dubord207
08-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Here's a trick I used once to get a friend out of work a day early for a fishing trip: I can have a US Marshall stop off at your place of work and serve a subpoena on you right in front of your boss! Will that do it?

:eek:

JustKev
08-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Here's a trick I used once to get a friend out of work a day early for a fishing trip: I can have a US Marshall stop off at your place of work and serve a subpoena on you right in front of your boss! Will that do it?

....accept your proposal, can you also forge a note from mom saying I'm missing work on Monday for a legitimate reason. After all, if I sample those Bloody Marys I may need Monday too.

shuman road searchers
08-12-2010, 08:37 PM
....accept your proposal, can you also forge a note from mom saying I'm missing work on Monday for a legitimate reason. After all, if I sample those Bloody Marys I may need Monday too.

I have had them and you will!:D:D

firefighterjake
08-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Unfortunately I'll miss beautiful Eustis again this year . . . this event always falls on Camp Jakeawana's busiest weekend of the year as this is the weekend of the Commonground Fair and I always have guests at the campground on this weekend.

fins2right
08-14-2010, 02:12 PM
While we were up this week we made our reservation for site #9 (close to the playground for the kids) We'll be up Friday night after school ends. I'm thinking Lasagna!

JustKev
08-14-2010, 11:55 PM
While we were up this week we made our reservation for site #9 (close to the playground for the kids) We'll be up Friday night after school ends. I'm thinking Lasagna!

You guys and gals keep talking about all this good food you're going to have up there so now I have to fight back.

For both lunch and dinner/supper today I had baked stuffed zucchini. Stuffing was garlic and cheese sausage, hot Italian sausage, basmati rice, stewed tomatoes, green peppers, left over cabbage she'd sauteed in butter a few days ago and mozzerella cheese. This is absolutely my favorite way to have zucchini.

Then, to top it all off, she (Pam/JustPJ66) makes an eggplant parmesan that's simply out of this world. She used to get it all put together, slide it in the oven, call my folks and tell them it had just gone in and they'd be here before it came out of the oven......no matter what they were doing.

So, I get to eat good whether there's a meet and greet or other type of get together scheduled or not.

Oh, and don't forget her blackberry cobbler and the blackberry jam she made and raspberry jam.

And homemade blueberry pound cake she's won blue ribbons with the pound cake and adds either blueberries or strawberries to it occasionally.

And, oh yeah, there's still a loaf of zucchini bread in the freezer ready to be taken out and thawed so I can have that too.

And the dilly beans she just canned, and the dill pickles and the salsa she's gonna can and the Dynamites she's gonna can and the hot dog relish.

Anyone hungry yet?

:D

dufzor
08-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Anyone hungry yet?:D

Most certainly! I've been three weeks without my stove while the house is under construction, so your meals sound especailly scrumptious. What time do you ring the dinner bell? :D:D:D;)

JustPJ66
08-15-2010, 04:11 AM
We always have plenty to go around.....unless you all show up at once ...then its hotdogs on the grill LOL

dubord207
08-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Di, Nick, Bo and I are staying at site #60 this year. It's a huge site with room for a very large cocktail party on Friday night. Keep that in mind. Di thinks I should bring my electric and an amp... could happen, we'll see. Any of you like Elton, Billy Joel and James Taylor?

I'll double up on the Java Bone ribs this year... 6 slabs and I'm reserving a bunch for Jean and Stan. For anybody reading this thread, bring food Saturday... it's the right thing to do. There will be a huge crowd at the community center. Last year, there was barely enough food to go around. Post here and brag about how good the dish you're bringing will be!:)

Trick or Treat
08-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Di, Nick, Bo and I are staying at site #60 this year. It's a huge site with room for a very large cocktail party on Friday night. Keep that in mind. Di thinks I should bring my electric and an amp... could happen, we'll see. Any of you like Elton, Billy Joel and James Taylor?

How do I get site #60A?!! I'll be up Friday afternoon, just in time to set up everything before Trick strolls in that night after a hard day of caching. Not sure what I'll be bringing for the potluck this year, but it will be good...

hollora
08-17-2010, 07:44 PM
I have the campground map and am plotting folks in the main campground in - if you haven't posted your site yet.........do so and I will add you in (if you want me to). Looking forward to seeing folks.

pm28570
08-18-2010, 08:08 AM
I have the campground map and am plotting folks in the main campground in - if you haven't posted your site yet.........do so and I will add you in (if you want me to). Looking forward to seeing folks.

Arriving either Wednesday or Thursday and will be on #19.

hollora
08-18-2010, 08:59 AM
All added - I think Team2Hunt has reservations too.

pm28570
08-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Scratch that. Will arrive on Wednesday and be on site #20.

dubord207
08-18-2010, 01:32 PM
I expect to be at site 60, Thursday morning at 10:00 AM I'll need about 5 minutes of help from anybody willing as Di won't get there until 6 or later. I can't quite set up the tent and the EZ up by myself, just not enough arms! Of course, the first thing I will unload is the Bloody Mary fixin's so there is incentive for the effort! LA stopped by at the right time last year. Thanks guys!

pm28570
08-18-2010, 01:37 PM
I expect to be at site 60, Thursday morning at 10:00 AM I'll need about 5 minutes of help from anybody willing as Di won't get there until 6 or later. I can't quite set up the tent and the EZ up by myself, just not enough arms! Of course, the first thing I will unload is the Bloody Mary fixin's so there is incentive for the effort! LA stopped by at the right time last year. Thanks guys!

No problem, glad to help. Nix the Bloody Mary, I will accept Mirmosa however.:D

hollora
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Scratch that. Will arrive on Wednesday and be on site #20.
Made site change on map - @dubord - should be folks to help/no worries.

Ekidokai
08-19-2010, 01:24 AM
I can't say until the last minute. If I go I'll be camping in my van. Is there a river that I can camp at? Ha Ha.

Kaching Karen
08-19-2010, 11:23 AM
There is a group site.... no? Jon and I plan on going. Last year we had to squeeze it in between a triathlon and a mountain bike race. So far, the weekend is clear.

Mainiac1957
08-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Group sites 1 and 2 are available for us again. See the cache page for specific details K. See you there!

pjpreb
08-21-2010, 03:42 PM
We have site #25 and Barefoot & LisaS from CT have site #24. LisaS is going to bring her pulled pork again (which lasted about 90 seconds last year) and I am going to bring a crock pot full of meatballs.

A great event - really looking forward to it again. :) We will be arriving sometime Friday afternoon. See you then!

pm28570
08-21-2010, 08:33 PM
We have site #25 and Barefoot & LisaS from CT have site #24. LisaS is going to bring her pulled pork again (which lasted about 90 seconds last year) and I am going to bring a crock pot full of meatballs.

A great event - really looking forward to it again. :) We will be arriving sometime Friday afternoon. See you then!

Hi neighbor.....

Mapachi
08-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Gail and I may be at "The Wall" that week-end.....I'll have to check. If not, we'll be there. Probably we'll stay at the Spillover.

kayaking loon
08-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Gail and I may be at "The Wall" that week-end.....I'll have to check. If not, we'll be there. Probably we'll stay at the Spillover.

You have to come to Eustis, you're in charge of the weather, remember??!!

Ekidokai
08-23-2010, 01:13 AM
So how many is it now?

pm28570
09-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Many have seen the plaques along side the entrance to Cathedral Pines regarding the town of Flagstaff, now known as Flagstaff Lake. Here is a link to a story Bill Green did on the creation of Flagstaff Lake.
http://www.wcsh6.com/life/programming/local/bill_greens_maine/story.aspx?storyid=126490&catid=10

EMSDanel
09-03-2010, 09:40 PM
And the dilly beans she just canned, and the dill pickles and the salsa she's gonna can and the Dynamites she's gonna can and the hot dog relish.

Anyone hungry yet?

:D

Did I just see "dynamites?" Sort of like spaghetti sauce only with larger pieces of veggies (like celery) and spicy hot? Often served over hot dog rolls? If so, that's one of four "noteworthies" that originated in Madison, Maine. Salute! :)

JustPJ66
09-04-2010, 04:29 AM
Did I just see "dynamites?" Sort of like spaghetti sauce only with larger pieces of veggies (like celery) and spicy hot? Often served over hot dog rolls? If so, that's one of four "noteworthies" that originated in Madison, Maine. Salute! :)

Well my mom's family originated around the Skowhegan area and this recipe has been handed down for years.....and until i married Kevin who perfers it on pasta we ALWAYS ate it on a hot dog roll. Good stiff!!

JustPJ66
09-04-2010, 06:14 AM

When i told my mom what you said she said quite emphatically "Oh no they didnt!" She says they started in Skowhegan and
Debees (dont know if the spelling is right) store. She says her mother got it from the old lady Debee who brought it from Italy....I have no idea where they came from but they are good anyway. If you disagree with her you will have to corner her at the next get together we bring her to hehe:D:D

hollora
09-04-2010, 08:13 AM
When i told my mom what you said she said quite emphatically "Oh no they didnt!" She says they started in Skowhegan and
Debees (dont know if the spelling is right) store. She says her mother got it from the old lady Debee who brought it from Italy....I have no idea where they came from but they are good anyway. If you disagree with her you will have to corner her at the next get together we bring her to hehe:D:D

Well - does the family share recipes??? Maybe we need that for our Geocacher's Recipe thread???

JustPJ66
09-04-2010, 08:17 AM
I will be glad to post it...but the recipe makes a HUGE pot of it...wouldnt reccomend making it for 2 people or you will be eating it for a month.....We make it and put it up in canning jars to have all winter long...yummmmmmmmy stuff

hollora
09-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks for posting - I will get it intergrated into the book.

brdad
09-04-2010, 08:42 AM

Actually, My Great Great Uncle Alfonso brought the recipe from Italy when he settled in Cornville where he started selling it from his roadside stand. Old lady Debee got him drunk one night and stole the recipe from him and pawned it off as her own!

And this is how 100 variations of stories get started! :p

JustPJ66
09-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Actually, My Great Great Uncle Alfonso brought the recipe from Italy when he settled in Cornville where he started selling it from his roadside stand. Old lady Debee got him drunk one night and stole the recipe from him and pawned it off as her own!

And this is how 100 variations of stories get started! :p

now that gave my mom a good laugh thanks hehe

WhereRWe?
09-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Debees (dont know if the spelling is right) store. She says her mother got it from the old lady Debee who brought it from Italy.

Yes - Dynamites did start in Madison. I have a newspaper article from many years ago which starts "Sorry, Skowhegan, but dynamites really originated up in Madison" The Article mentions Ersilla Debe of Skowhegan, but also confirms that the dynamite recipe was served many years earlier by "Sandy" DeSanctis of Madson who served it to local paper mill workers.

:D:D

JustPJ66
09-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Yes - Dynamites did start in Madison. I have a newspaper article from many years ago which starts "Sorry, Skowhegan, but dynamites really originated up in Madison" The Article mentions Ersilla Debe of Skowhegan, but also confirms that the dynamite recipe was served many years earlier by "Sandy" DeSanctis of Madson who served it to local paper mill workers.

Dont tell my MOM!! hehe she worked for the Debe's for years. hehe

JustPJ66
09-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Dont tell my MOM!! hehe she worked for the Debe's for years. hehe

AND she would tell you that you cant believe everything you read in the papers hehe

JustPJ66
09-04-2010, 09:13 AM
and yet another country heard from http://www.tourblackstone.com/dynamitestory.htm

WhereRWe?
09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
AND she would tell you that you cant believe everything you read in the papers hehe

Well, the article does cite MANY people who vouched for Madison - and none who claimed Skowhegan as the origin. LOL!

My article is pretty ragged, but I think it originates from the Waterville Sentinel from the early 90's. I tried to do an online search of The Sentinel's archives, but they only go back to 2000. :(:(

JustPJ66
09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
and yet another country heard from http://www.tourblackstone.com/dynamitestory.htm

pretty sure rhode island isnt right hehe

WhereRWe?
09-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Yeah, but if you look at the recipe, it isn't the same - NO CELERY - which is a key component of the Maine variety. I'd be inclined to believe that Rhode Island stole the name. :D:D

(And I'm not an advocate for either town, but the article I have seems pretty convincing... (

brdad
09-04-2010, 09:19 AM
That's just the point. Assuming it came from Italy or whatever country, odds are not only one person brought it from there, and since most recipes naturally evolve, variations are made of them. Odds are there were several and it started in several places after they landed. In reality, it's really pretty hard to give anyone credit here if it came from another country anyway!

WhereRWe?
09-04-2010, 09:37 AM
That's just the point. Assuming it came from Italy or whatever country, odds are not only one person brought it from there, and since most recipes naturally evolve, variations are made of them. Odds are there were several and it started in several places after they landed. In reality, it's really pretty hard to give anyone credit here if it came from another country anyway!

No - I think this was an American creation - based on the fact that the recipe contains LARGE amounts of celery - not an Italian custom. Anyone who has been to Italy knows that every town has it's own style of tomato sauce, but I'd never seen a recipe where celery was a MAJOR component before I heard of dynamites. :D:D

pm28570
09-04-2010, 09:56 AM
......who is bringing a pot of dynamite to UEIII?

brdad
09-04-2010, 10:34 AM
No - I think this was an American creation - based on the fact that the recipe contains LARGE amounts of celery - not an Italian custom. Anyone who has been to Italy knows that every town has it's own style of tomato sauce, but I'd never seen a recipe where celery was a MAJOR component before I heard of dynamites. :D:D

Well, the celery could have been added after it was brought here, in which case it could jut be a variation. Of course, I don't like celery so if I made it, I'd leave it out!

Oh well, we can argue a million points and no one will still know any more! Ii say if you like it, who cares where it comes from or what animal is mixed in! :D

Mapachi
09-04-2010, 10:12 PM
A guy named Nobel invented dynamite....In Sweden I think. (Not Sweden Maine either!)

WhereRWe?
09-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Well, the celery could have been added after it was brought here, in which case it could jut be a variation. D

I agree. Most new recipes are created because someone wants to make something and decides to add something else to make it different, or doesn't have all the ingredients and decides to substitute something.

Either way, GOOD EATS! :D

Mapachi
09-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I agree. Most new recipes are created because someone wants to make something and decides to add something else to make it different, or doesn't have all the ingredients and decides to substitute something.

Either way, GOOD EATS! :D

Oh! I get it. ........ Like when Belechek put in Brady because he didn't have any Bledsoe left!

WhereRWe?
09-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Oh! I get it. ........ Like when Belechek put in Brady because he didn't have any Bledsoe left!

Exactly! And as you can see, the end result is often better than the original!

NAGA17
09-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Just made our reservation at site #74. Never been to Eustis. Will arrive Friday evening. Sounds like fun. No idea what to cook. Any suggestions?

kayaking loon
09-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Just made our reservation at site #74. Never been to Eustis. Will arrive Friday evening. Sounds like fun. No idea what to cook. Any suggestions?

Cook any casserole that you like to make and like to eat. If it fits in a crockpot that's even better for warming it up. Hot foods are preferred to cold salads and breads. Last year, everything disappeared really fast. Many hungry cachers make for quick work at a buffet potluck!

NAGA17
09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
Kind of limited cooking at a campsite with no water or electricity. Can I bake a cake in the dutch oven? Or does it need to be a main course?

JustPJ66
09-13-2010, 10:36 AM
there are many many sites on the internet that have dutch oven recipes....as well and tons of great cookbooks about cooking with just a dutch oven here is one that has some good recipies
http://camping.about.com/rsrch.htm?zIsPG=gSrch&zIsT=Camping&zIsD=camping&pp=Dutch%20Oven

I would also reccomend a book called "the Scouts Outdoor Cookbook" by Christine and Tim Conners. It is 335 pages of recipes to cook at a campsite.

NAGA17
09-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Yes, I have a dutch oven cookbook. Girl scout one, Pocket Stew. That is where I got the chocolate cherry walnut cake recipe.

JustPJ66
09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
dutch ovens make wonderful bakers if you get the coals right around them.

JustKev
09-13-2010, 10:47 AM

My nephew did a turkey in a beer keg this summer while we were camping. Was a very tasty bird.

JustPJ66
09-13-2010, 10:49 AM
guess maybe iam reading your post wrong...thought you were asking if you COULD bake a cake in a dutch oven...sorry

Ekidokai
09-13-2010, 12:28 PM
I guess I'll have to think something else up.

My baked turtles became more of a curiosity than treat. Everyone wanted to look but not eat. I baked them well. They were not gooey in the middle at all. The trick is low heat to get through the shell.

Maybe I'll just boil some baby chickens.

WhereRWe?
09-13-2010, 03:39 PM
My baked turtles became more of a curiosity than treat. Everyone wanted to look but not eat. I baked them well. They were not gooey in the middle at all. The trick is low heat to get through the shell.

And they were a "little big". LOL!

Next time, try using "Little Smokies" and only 1/2 pound of bacon. :D:D

hollora
09-13-2010, 04:23 PM
For those dutch oven people out there - don't miss the Tread Lightly event next year! Hiram is a master - he has done birthday cakes, breakfast eggs, yummie chicken and many more goodies at these events.

And then there is Cano who brings banana splits into the middle of nowhere............only limited by your imagination and creativity.

NAGA17
09-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Eating is always the best part of camping.

pjpreb
09-13-2010, 09:32 PM

and here is what you have when you use too many coals....http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/pjpreb/Camping%20Trips/Fail.jpg?t=1284427917

JustKev
09-14-2010, 07:05 AM
and here is what you have when you use too many coals....

....was it still tasty?

Mapachi
09-14-2010, 07:06 AM
and here is what you have when you use too many coals....http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/pjpreb/Camping%20Trips/Fail.jpg?t=1284427917

This reminds me why I do all the cooking at home!
Ever see food cooked by a Shotgun?

Ekidokai
09-14-2010, 09:33 AM
That looks good to me.

JustPJ66
09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
hey I would eat it....and my mom would request all the "crispy" bits on her plate!

Ekidokai
09-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Cameo and I have just started a weight reduction pack. I would only have a small piece, thank you.

NAGA17
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Maybe I should call back up and request a site with electricity so I can use a crock pot?

kayaking loon
09-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Maybe I should call back up and request a site with electricity so I can use a crock pot?

Or you can just plug it in at the Community Building on Saturday.

Trick or Treat
09-15-2010, 08:57 PM
We've talked our good friends, 3xxTeam, to join us for the weekend. We're in sites 73 and 75 and will be arriving Friday evening. I assumed we'd stay in the group sites again this year, but after the frigid temps last year, the only way Trick was spending the night is with an electric blanket!

Ekidokai
09-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I'll be watching the weather. Spending two nights I will bring either a heater or staying in the motel.

cano
09-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I'll be watching the weather. Spending two nights I will bring either a heater or staying in the motel.

It was bellow 0C last year, brr

Ekidokai
09-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Here in America, we don't use that Canadian measure stuff.

32F isn't bad.

dubord207
09-16-2010, 05:20 AM
Di and I bring one of those small ceramic heaters for our tent. When we wake up, flip it on and in 5 minutes the tent is perfect. Yeah, there was frost on our tent last year so bring an extra blanket...and maybe a bit of brandy!

I've already started loading my truck.:)

vicbiker
09-17-2010, 10:17 PM
To walks to do this weekend...one more trailer to unload...then everything will switch into Eutis mode.

attroll
09-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Would it be alright is I bring some roman noddles?

Ekidokai
09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah that would be fine.

brdad
09-22-2010, 12:41 AM

In your case wouldn't that be roaming noodles?!?!

kayaking loon
09-22-2010, 08:00 AM

Sure, then we can all see how you live. ;) But I'd recommend that you eat the food that other people bring (and lots of it)!

Waterski
09-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Did I remember last year someone asked about bringing a pop up camper and whether they could put it in the group site? I thought the answer was yes there was room there. My tent is up and airing out outside now, but we may grab a popup. Anyone have an answer to my question? Maybe we need electricity anyway at a regular site for the electric heating devices you all mentioned!
another question - anyone planning to go up to the B52 crash?

Waterski
09-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Nevermind......we just got a campsite reserved.......thanks anyway.

Ekidokai
09-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Did I remember last year someone asked about bringing a pop up camper and whether they could put it in the group site? I thought the answer was yes there was room there. My tent is up and airing out outside now, but we may grab a popup. Anyone have an answer to my question? Maybe we need electricity anyway at a regular site for the electric heating devices you all mentioned!
another question - anyone planning to go up to the B52 crash?

The B52 site is a long ways off in another direction from the event.

I'll go.

Waterski
09-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks E, yes it is another crash site closer by that we are thinking of.

dubord207
09-23-2010, 05:18 AM
There's one near Cupsuptic which isn't too far to drive. Of course there's always the site on the NW corner of Flagstaff where I demolished an Artic Cat Jag after hitting a stump that was buried in snow!:D

pm28570
09-23-2010, 07:43 AM

B-17 Crash Did it over Memorial Day weekend, really enjoyed it. GCYT9N (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=49d7bb72-9dc7-45b5-aef1-c6b5a33e3201#)

[/URL]
[URL="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=49d7bb72-9dc7-45b5-aef1-c6b5a33e3201#"]
(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=49d7bb72-9dc7-45b5-aef1-c6b5a33e3201#)