View Full Version : Temporarily Out of Commission

JustKev
08-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Hey gang. Not going to be able to dash out after any FTF's for a while. Not even gonna be able to go after any caches at all. I've got a rather nasty infection in my arm that's got me out of work so I'll not be taking any chances with my health by trying to find tupperware in the woods. I risk hospitalization and possible surgery if this doesn't respond to the antibiotics regimen I'm on now - IV type that I have to keep going back to Togus for - so I ain't about to risk it.

ampmdp - if you guys read this - I am incredibly happy to have met you this morning at Team Horwich's LSD cache. Was awesome to read your log when we got home just a few minutes after we stole the FTF from you. :) Another time, I bet we'll be second to find right behind you.

Cache on gang, and be happy.

brdad
08-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Sorry to hear that, here's to your healing quickly. Any help needed with your caches I bet one of us can assist, just let us know.

If you're up to it, there's plenty of puzzle caches you can solve to take up some of your time!

JustPJ66
08-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks Brdad
no worries everyone....I will take good care of him...besides I am the puzzlecache solver....he just is the techinical assistant..LOL

Mapachi
08-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Rub some Scotch on it!

dufzor
08-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Mapachi
08-20-2010, 09:57 PM
Really, I don't live to far from you guys. Any maintanence needs, just let me know! I would be happy to help out!

JFamilySebec
08-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Well here's hoping that you DO respond well to the antibiotics and can get back on your feet quickly..........

tat
08-21-2010, 05:40 AM
I hope this clears up quick! Get well soon!!

dubord207
08-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Marines heal quicker then we mere mortals. The infection doesn't have a chance. You'll beat it quickly, hopefully. And to echo what others have offered, don't be shy, there's lots of us that would be happy to help.:)

pm28570
08-21-2010, 06:23 AM
.....this wasn't well thought out. This should have been timed for the Eustis event! :D
Take care of yourself and best wishes.

JustKev
08-21-2010, 06:40 AM
.....this wasn't well thought out. This should have been timed for the Eustis event! :D
Take care of yourself and best wishes.

I'll be at Togus both days. This is being treated as outpatient treatment pending what it looks like today and it's gone down an impressive amount just since I went to bed last night. The red is receding and the pain is....okay, so where she stuck the gargantuan needle in still tingles a tad through the pain meds but even that's improving. Things are lookin up.

JustPJ66
08-21-2010, 06:42 AM
I'll be at Togus both days. This is being treated as outpatient treatment pending what it looks like today and it's gone down an impressive amount just since I went to bed last night. The red is receding and the pain is....okay, so where she stuck the gargantuan needle in still tingles a tad through the pain meds but even that's improving. Things are lookin up.

we are praying they keep looking up till we get to the VA today too.

Mapachi
08-21-2010, 07:52 AM
The VA?! I will definitely pray for you!!

Remember....That place is run by the federal government!!!
I'm a Vet, I worked at Togus for twenty five years and I don't go there!
Count your appendages before you leave!
They all mean well, and are caring compassionate nurses and doctors, but waaaay over worked and have their hands tied by over regulation and politics!

P.S. Did I say I hate waiting in lines for hours on end, too?

JustPJ66
08-21-2010, 07:58 AM

They all mean well, and are caring compassionate nurses and doctors, but waaaay over worked and have their hands tied by over regulation and politics!

They may not be perfect but the "work related injury doctors" did nothing about either his pain or the enormous swelling...one look and the dr out to togus said there was definately more going on...which I knew! At least they are doing something to help him...our only other avenue was the workers comp guys who said take motrin and go back to work! ...I ll take togus over them any day!!

WhereRWe?
08-21-2010, 08:07 AM

RULost2 rececntly had surgery at the VA in West Roxbury, Mass. She had pre-op on Friday, and then we had to spend the weekend there befoe surgery on Monday.

She went back for a check-up on Thursday. Four 1/2 ours there, 3 hour wait, and then 4 1/2 hours back. Sheesh! (But she's doing great - end of problem.) Talk about waits!

We each have 2 appointments at Togus on the 30th. More waiting!

And JustKev - I've been an inpatient twice at Togus for infections. I feel your pain! LOL! (But they did a good job as far as I was concerned - especially the night nurses. Really were great.

:D:D

JustKev
08-21-2010, 08:12 AM
All my care this go round has been in the emergency department because that's also their urgent care or walk in clinic. The staff I've interacted with there was beyond caring and compassionate.

I understand over regulation and politics but I don't see a lot of impact of those things in the care I have received from these terrific people.

I am optimistic that I won't be an inpatient for this infection. The response in my arm to the treatment yesterday is phenomenal. I have swelling still, but no where near what it was. One of the nurses said, yesterday, that my arm was near the bursting point. It's not now, not by any stretch.

Ekidokai
08-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Don't worry about a thing. Get well soon.

I just don't see how a major infection with IV drugs would slow anyone down that is truly dedicated to this game.

JustKev
08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Don't worry about a thing. Get well soon.

I just don't see how a major infection with IV drugs would slow anyone down that is truly dedicated to this game.

....everything on me feels fine, except my right arm. And it's been swollen to about twice it's normal size from the elbow down. After one batch of antibiotic by way of IV it's returned about halfway back to where it needs to be. Going back in to Togus in just a few minutes to be re-evaluated and get more IV antibiotics. The worst about this trip is they may decide I need to be in the hospital to complete treatment if they don't like what they see when they look at it. Or, they may say it's time to open that up and remove the infection surgically. Those two scenarios are what keeps me from heading out to grab a couple caches on the way to Togus this morning.

JustPJ66
08-21-2010, 11:32 AM
....everything on me feels fine, except my right arm. And it's been swollen to about twice it's normal size from the elbow down. After one batch of antibiotic by way of IV it's returned about halfway back to where it needs to be. Going back in to Togus in just a few minutes to be re-evaluated and get more IV antibiotics. The worst about this trip is they may decide I need to be in the hospital to complete treatment if they don't like what they see when they look at it. Or, they may say it's time to open that up and remove the infection surgically. Those two scenarios are what keeps me from heading out to grab a couple caches on the way to Togus this morning.

those and his wife!

Maine Family
08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Hope you have a full recovery soon. You both are in out thoughts and prayers.

JustKev
08-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Got another IV bag of antibiotics and sent home to wait for tomorrow's dose.

cachecrashers4
08-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Hope you get better soon. Are they sure it's an infection? Sound a lot like a blood clot.

JustKev
08-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Hope you get better soon. Are they sure it's an infection? Sound a lot like a blood clot.

They pulled stuff off the elbow that looked nasty but shows it's an infection.

Mapachi
08-21-2010, 08:39 PM
They pulled stuff off the elbow that looked nasty but shows it's an infection.

I pulled some stuff off my elbow macaroni that looked nasty but I don't think it was infected! (I think it was blu cheese...heh, heh, heh):p:D

Mapachi
08-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I still think you should rub some scotch on it.....or gin, or vodka.

A couple of racks of Sammy's might work too!

Mapachi
08-21-2010, 08:45 PM
HEY DUBORD207! How do you take care of a sore elbow?? (I know you're reading this!)

dubord207
08-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Take the gin internally. Putting it on the elbow makes the dogs lick your elbow and there's no telling what they licked before that!:D

Mapachi
08-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Well, duh! You rub it on your elbow from the inside! What fool would rub it on the outside! My mom didn't raise no rube!

EMSDanel
08-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Last weekend I was at a course faculty dinner up on Sebec Lake and the hosts were having trouble with the inboard motor on their boat. They weren't sure if the boat could pull water skiers so I volunteered to give it a try. The boat motor was very sluggish, was pulling me through the water, and when I tried to get "up" enough to ski I tore a muscle in my left thigh. I'm now hobbling and painfully dragging my left leg to walk. The point of the story is this: an infection or something else debilitating may affect your work performance and every-day life, but it's really pi**ing me off that I can't go out caching this weekend!

JustPJ66
08-22-2010, 06:46 AM
Kevins arm is a little better...the swelling is down a little more this morning but the elbow looks worse color wise. We go back to togus today for a recheck and probably more medications. He still has pain and discomfort but is doing pretty well condidering one arm is infected and the other one has an IV port in it .....poor baby.

JustPJ66
08-22-2010, 06:47 AM
The popovers I made him last night is no doubt the deciding factor in him feeling better....if things dont improve drastically soon I will have to resort to chicken soup treatment!

brdad
08-22-2010, 07:34 AM
The popovers I made him last night is no doubt the deciding factor in him feeling better....if things dont improve drastically soon I will have to resort to chicken soup treatment!

Ohhhhh... Uggggg... I'm not feeling so well..... email me some popovers? ;)

JustKev
08-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Ohhhhh... Uggggg... I'm not feeling so well..... email me some popovers? ;)

....I et 'em.

Fins_Up
08-22-2010, 09:52 AM
I almost had the new caches I posted this morning pre-loaded with Congrats to Kev and PJ for the CO-FTF. I got your note this morning. Hopefully you get well soon. Drop me a note when you are up to it and I will walk through the series with you two.

JustPJ66
08-22-2010, 10:00 AM
I almost had the new caches I posted this morning pre-loaded with Congrats to Kev and PJ for the CO-FTF. I got your note this morning. Hopefully you get well soon. Drop me a note when you are up to it and I will walk through the series with you two.

That would be better than an ol FTF anyday...we would LOVE it when kev is up to it. There now he dont feel so bad about missing out on all those FTF's . Thanks Friend!

Fins_Up
08-22-2010, 10:35 AM
My pleasure!

JustPJ66
08-22-2010, 11:07 AM
My pleasure!

who knows hospitality like that may even warrent baked goods....hummmm maybe homemade cinnamon buns???

Fins_Up
08-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Wow!!! All the hints you want for cinnamon buns!!!

Ekidokai
08-23-2010, 01:12 AM
who knows hospitality like that may even warrent baked goods....hummmm maybe homemade cinnamon buns???

If I have not offered before I offer now. I will take you out on the SMR series. The Great Bangor City Forest Adventure and I'll make another one so you can get a bunch of FTF's for candy, baked goods, lasagna, spaghetti or anything like that.

Fins-up, love the new avatar.

JustPJ66
08-23-2010, 06:53 AM
If I have not offered before I offer now. I will take you out on the SMR series. The Great Bangor City Forest Adventure and I'll make another one so you can get a bunch of FTF's for candy, baked goods, lasagna, spaghetti or anything like that.

Fins-up, love the new avatar.

I might be tempted to take you up on the offer if it included the lost treasure AND if i didnt know your not supposed to have all those goodies LOL

Fins_Up
08-23-2010, 07:08 AM
I am considering a pathtag with that design although I am rather fond of the coins I have now. They have the same design but are plastic and solid colors.

JustPJ66
08-23-2010, 07:11 AM
I am considering a pathtag with that design although I am rather fond of the coins I have now. They have the same design but are plastic and solid colors.

WE have one...:D

Ekidokai
08-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I might be tempted to take you up on the offer if it included the lost treasure AND if i didnt know your not supposed to have all those goodies LOL

I have many hints including the lost treasure. I can have all the goodies I want. Anything you may have heard is not true.

JustPJ66
08-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Just as an update. We went in the the hosp today for more IV meds and ended up getting that then xrays and then an orthopedic consult that resulted in a minor surgical procedure. We were 6 hrs there today and are both exhausted and frazzled. Hopefully this will help him to heal as they "got rid" of alot of infection and hope the rest will drain later. He isnt supposed to be typing tongiht so I have already scolded him for it once...Chad you will just have to wait if you need another reply...kev is really not able at the moment to do it.

:)

hollora
08-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Just as an update. We went in the the hosp today for more IV meds and ended up getting that then xrays and then an orthopedic consult that resulted in a minor surgical procedure. We were 6 hrs there today and are both exhausted and frazzled. Hopefully this will help him to heal as they "got rid" of alot of infection and hope the rest will drain later. He isnt supposed to be typing tongiht so I have already scolded him for it once...Chad you will just have to wait if you need another reply...kev is really not able at the moment to do it.

:)

The best wishes to Kev to heal and Get Well Soon! That is what is important!

As for replies - don't worry - if the writer doesn't understand it shows their colors. No worries. Healing from sickness or injury is more important than anything.

Take care and Kev will be back when he is able. Blessings!

Waterski
08-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Hope this procedure speeds things along on the healing. Sounds pretty serious and painful!

JustKev
08-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. I appreciate them tremendously. Now, if you all really mean it, any more FTFs within 25 miles of Belgrade should be left alone for me to get when I am over this.

:D

dubord207
08-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Seriously, time to back off a bit on your meds. The FTF hounds know no limits. Maybe I'll put a new one out at the end of your driveweay!

Glad you're on the mend Kev!:)

Thanks for the well wishes. I appreciate them tremendously. Now, if you all really mean it, any more FTFs within 25 miles of Belgrade should be left alone for me to get when I am over this.

JustKev
08-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Seriously, time to back off a bit on your meds. The FTF hounds know no limits. Maybe I'll put a new one out at the end of your driveweay!

Glad you're on the mend Kev!:)

We've already got one there.....well practically.:D

Mainiac1957
08-26-2010, 07:14 PM
I hope the healing is still progressing Kevin. We need to see you back on the hunt soon.:cool:

team barbieri
08-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Hope your feeling better Kev...Can I pitch a tent up at the end of your driveway just incase Dubord207 puts that cache out...Ill bring the log up to your door so you can sign it..............after I do:D

JustKev
08-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Hope your feeling better Kev...Can I pitch a tent up at the end of your driveway just incase Dubord207 puts that cache out...Ill bring the log up to your door so you can sign it..............after I do:D

I doubt dubord will show....he hasn't logged 1790's yet and that is just about at the end of our driveway.

JustPJ66
08-26-2010, 09:55 PM
I doubt dubord will show....he hasn't logged 1790's yet and that is just about at the end of our driveway.

this is kev's brain on drugs!! lol trying to guilt innocent cachers into doing his geocaches lol :eek::eek::D:)

JustPJ66
08-27-2010, 04:20 AM
we "think" the iv meds are finally done now however that depends on the way things develop but so far it looks good. He had a mild reaction to one of the many many meds they have had him on so that ment another trip to togus about 2 or 3 hours after we got home from there but thankfully it was nothing more than slight rash on his head. We go out daily still for incision care but the arm is much improved FINALLY and we are hopeful that things will progress quickly from here on out. Thank you to all of you who have send us private and public well wishes and prayers. :)

brdad
08-27-2010, 05:46 AM
That sounds good!

shuman road searchers
08-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Nice to here things are improving! Now, about FTF's within 25 miles............. I do not think so!!!!!!

JustKev
08-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Nice to here things are improving! Now, about FTF's within 25 miles............. I do not think so!!!!!!

You big meanie.

Mapachi
08-27-2010, 08:23 AM
this is kev's brain on drugs!! lol trying to guilt innocent cachers into doing his geocaches lol :eek::eek::D:)
Lawyers feel no guilt.

JustKev
08-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Lawyers feel no guilt.

Neither do I.

JustPJ66
08-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Neither do I.

True true....:eek:

Mapachi
08-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Congrats Kev! You seem to have survived Togus!

Good caring people but over regulation and underfunding...............well, it's all been said before.
I AM glad you are doing better and hope to see you on the trail soon!

JustPJ66
08-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Kev is still making daily trips to togus and is still having some issues but he felt ok enough for a little while today to go get one cache just 5 miles from the house....that was about all he could do as he started not feeling so good shortly thereafter but i guess its baby steps for a while hehe

WhereRWe?
08-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Kev is still making daily trips to togus and is still having some issues but he felt ok enough for a little while today to go get one cache just 5 miles from the house....that was about all he could do as he started not feeling so good shortly thereafter but i guess its baby steps for a while hehe

Sheesh! Rulost2? and I spent half the day at Togus - and I didn't see you there! LOL! (The good new is that RULost2? DOES NOT have lung cancer. The bad news is that there is SOMETHING there that needs to come out. Back to Boston tomorrow for further evaluation...)

By the way - anyone notice that GeocachingMaine.org member BigPapi122565 is sometimes a "cachier" at the cashier window near the main waiting room in Bldg 200?

hollora
08-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Not Lung CA - Great News!:D SOMETHING that need to come out - Back to Boston........:( a lot of traveling..........hope everything works out OK.

Yes, BigPapi122565 works there..........:) I think a few other cachers do too.

Sheesh! Rulost2? and I spent half the day at Togus - and I didn't see you there! LOL! (The good new is that RULost2? DOES NOT have lung cancer. The bad news is that there is SOMETHING there that needs to come out. Back to Boston tomorrow for further evaluation...)

By the way - anyone notice that GeocachingMaine.org member BigPapi122565 is sometimes a "cachier" at the cashier window near the main waiting room in Bldg 200?

JustKev
08-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Pam and I are very glad to see that RULost doesn't have cancer. Thank God for that. We were in Orthopedics today. Dressing change and a re-pack of the incision.

Good luck in Boston. Sorry to hear you have to go back down there.

I knew Papi was out there at Togus. Haven't run into him while we're there but then we don't have to go to the cashier's office for anything. May have to stop by there and ask for him one of these days, just for the fun of it.

Take care.

WhereRWe?
08-30-2010, 07:05 PM
I knew Papi was out there at Togus. Haven't run into him while we're there but then we don't have to go to the cashier's office for anything. May have to stop by there and ask for him one of these days, just for the fun of it.

I get travel pay each time I have an appointment at Togus, so I visit the cashier each time I'm there. Being a disabled veteran has it's advantages. LOL!

hollora
08-30-2010, 07:55 PM
You are to funny - but that is great! DAV deserve everything they get IMHO! Thank you for serving!:)

I get travel pay each time I have an appointment at Togus, so I visit the cashier each time I'm there. Being a disabled veteran has it's advantages. LOL!

Ekidokai
08-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Great News!

JustKev
09-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Well, most of you know. I'm getting back out and about, mostly to get some exercise for my legs. Tomorrow is my next evaluation to see if things are healed enough to get back to work. The way it felt just a few days ago I thought it was going to be a very long uphill battle to get it bending right again. Stiff as all get out and very sore and painful. Now, I can almost bend it as far as I could before all this started. I don't think it's quite ready for the whallop the .44 packs but I bet I can shoot my rifles and shotguns again.

dubord207
09-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Di and I have two Marine Corp sargeants staying with us this week. Last night they expressed interest in shooting one of my .50 cal sniper rifles. While both have just re-upped a third time, neither have fired a .50 so I'm going to make time to take them shooting. You interested? I used shoot it at a rock across the lake from my house, 770 yards, easy shot, but somebody built a house about 300 yards to the left of the rock so out of an abundance of caution and recognizing where some of the remnants of the tracer rounds go I'll probably take them to one of Kempton Tobey's pits.

Now, I can almost bend it as far as I could before all this started. I don't think it's quite ready for the whallop the .44 packs but I bet I can shoot my rifles and shotguns again.

JustKev
09-13-2010, 12:44 PM
di and i have two marine corp sargeants staying with us this week. Last night they expressed interest in shooting one of my .50 cal sniper rifles. While both have just re-upped a third time, neither have fired a .50 so i'm going to make time to take them shooting. You interested? I used shoot it at a rock across the lake from my house, 770 yards, easy shot, but somebody built a house about 300 yards to the left of the rock so out of an abundance of caution and recognizing where some of the remnants of the tracer rounds go i'll probably take them to one of kempton tobey's pits.

....when?????!!!!!?????

brdad
09-13-2010, 01:25 PM
It was good to see you up and about at the event, wish I'd had more time to talk!

JustKev
09-13-2010, 01:34 PM
It was good to see you up and about at the event, wish I'd had more time to talk!

It is good to be up and about....more or less....and you don't have to worry about having more time to talk. You've got plenty on your plate. Some time later on down the line maybe we can swap lies and tall tales.

pm28570
09-13-2010, 01:39 PM
It is good to be up and about....more or less....and you don't have to worry about having more time to talk. You've got plenty on your plate. Some time later on down the line maybe we can swap lies and tall tales.

Dave has already compiled the stats on tall tales and cross-referenced it to lies. The matrix is quite impressive......:D