View Full Version : Stud Mill Road by Bicycle

Kaching Karen
08-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Well, I think I am part to blame for this idea. Tat, laroch and I are going to do the Stud Mill Road tributes by bike and we're going to do it on the Labor Day Weekend. I'm thinking that we are going to spot cars, food, drinks, etc., on Saturday and try the run on Sunday, starting EARLY in the morning.

We'll be starting at Robt's tribute at the corner of Route 9 and CCC Road. Then on to Little River Road, next Milford Rd/Grand Stream Roads and on to Route 1. From Route 1 we will go down Pocomoonshine Mountain Road and then on to the Stud Mill Road for the final grand push east.

Quote from Ekidokai "I got the idea when I heard Karen say she wanted to do the Centum Challenge on a bike. So, here it is. Good luck Karen. Now 160 strong." (A run for Karen - GC1TJYN).

Will anyone be caching in the area and willing to give a helping hand? We may need a lift in the morning or at the end (both most likely to be horrid hours in the morning), just someone to cheer us on, or a bike and rider pick-up. I am the weakest link in the trio and will not hold back the guys if they have a chance of making the 100 in a day. Some people have used drivers to record times that caches were found (although we have a spread sheet ready to use).

Also, we'll take any advise that you're ready to give on this series.

Ekidokai, we're finally going to get at this. Thanks for the run and your offer to help. It's going to be fun and I couldn't ask for better company than tat and laroch to give it a try.

Ekidokai
08-24-2010, 02:56 PM
I'll be out there with a cooler of ice cold water finding the new ones and doing maintenance. You have my new dry number so call.

dubord207
08-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Hopefully it rains the day before you strike out. You'll need goggles and bandana's to keep the dust out of your eyes, nose and mouth.

While the road is wide in most spots, I would still opt for one of those whip antenna things with an orange flag on the top to let some of the crazies that ride around out there know you're on the road.

Other then that, you should be good.

Good luck to you all. Make us proud!:)

shuman road searchers
08-24-2010, 05:14 PM
I know that Tandemstoker did a bunch by bike so if you wanted to send her a PM she may have some great advice!

vicbiker
08-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Wish I wasn't doing a yardsale...cause I'd have to be there with you. Good luck.

Kaching Karen
08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Wish I wasn't doing a yardsale...cause I'd have to be there with you. Good luck.

I know you would! And you could drag me behind on a tether.

EvilHomer
08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
BIKES? Boy you guys are ambitious. Do you know HOW LONG the Stud Mill Rd is? Thats like using your bike to cache from Brewer to Calais via RT 9.

tat
08-26-2010, 05:19 PM
100 miles, 100 caches. One chance. If we only get part way, we'll have to find a whole new cache run somewhere.

Kaching Karen
08-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm okay with just giving it a try. This whole thing started with a conversation that has exploded into a world of possibilities. I love challenges.... and this sure will be one.

EMSDanel
08-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Most of us did this run by starting early in the morning and finishing when it got dark. But we all should remember that the centum rule is 100 in a day, meaning 24 hours, giving you more opportunity if you have the stamina. I wish you three the best of luck.....there will be a huge group of people waiting to see how you do.

Ekidokai
08-27-2010, 02:32 AM
Just a heads up. The CCC Rd. is under heavy construction and cars can not get through. You might be able to portage around with the bikes. I just got a note from the last crew out there. The trouble is at ShumanRoadSearchers Tribute.

shuman road searchers
08-27-2010, 05:21 AM
Just a heads up. The CCC Rd. is under heavy construction and cars can not get through. You might be able to portage around with the bikes. I just got a note from the last crew out there. The trouble is at ShumanRoadSearchers Tribute.

Why me?! Why me!?

tat
08-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Oh dear! That is a problem!! Thanks for the heads up. Even if we can get the bikes by, it puts a big kink in our logistics plan.

tat
09-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Success!!! We all had a great time! Started at midnight and finished at 8pm. The weather was awesome, a spectacular night sky and idokacool sunny skies all day.

That was a blast!!

Thanks Ekidokai!!

tat
09-06-2010, 08:22 AM
I can't wait for Rick to get back, so I can pay and get the edit feature again. Sorry for the obvious spelling error. :(

brdad
09-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I can't wait for Rick to get back, so I can pay and get the edit feature again. Sorry for the obvious spelling error. :(

You can still pay with paypal. Or, if you don't use paypal, find someone that has it and give them the money and let them do it.

And I will be glad to edit errors in posts when provoked. ;)

You sure had some good days to be out caching after the storm passed!

Kaching Karen
09-06-2010, 08:38 AM
I am so proud of tat. We started the Stud Mill Road adventure at midnight on Sunday. I found it very difficult to ride those roads at night on a mountain bike, but we pushed on through the dark. I had a rabbit run along side me, tat had a fox cross in front of him and the crescent moon was absolutely great. I knew that even if we didn't make it, it was well worth the trip. Jon had a car available for us at all times and had snacks ready when we needed them. By noon, it was obvious that I didn't have it in me to make the whole thing, but we still wanted to prove that a centrum could be done by bike and tat still had the ability. He took off and WOW, knocked off caches by bike, while I did them by car. He was amazing.

Congrats to tat.... 103 Caches in a day by bike.

hollora
09-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Congrats TAT - I have seen you in action when you had a goal ahead - you are one determined man! Way to go sir!

dubord207
09-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I really didn't think it was possible! That is an amazing effort! Holy sore butt, Batman!:D

WhereRWe?
09-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Congrats to tat.... 103 Caches in a day by bike.

I'm not usually one to jump on the "attaboy" bandwagon, but - SHEESH! - this is truly an accomplishment. ATTABOY, Tom! :D:D

shuman road searchers
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Having done most of the caches on the smr by car and knowing what it takes I think doing it by bicycle has to be one if not the greatest accomplishment! Congrats tat!!!

Mainiac1957
09-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I have seen Tom in action on a bike more than once. Caching by bike in North Carolina while there for GW5. Riding up and beating the jeeps and trucks down on the Mt Kennebago Progressive run during Useless in Eustis I. Plus riding in numerous Trek Across Maine runs. And I guess he half peddled his way on the Maine Island Trail with his hybrid kayak.:rolleyes: If anyone was going to do a Centum by bike then it would have to be Tom.:cool:

parmachenee
09-06-2010, 07:44 PM
That accomplishment adds a whole new level to the Centum Challenge! :D Contrat's TAT!

vicbiker
09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Awsome job Tom...you have set the bar quite high for the rest of us.

Waterski
09-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Having to do so many in the dark from midnight on, as well as on the bike, is an amazing accomplishment. Well done TAT!

pm28570
09-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Absolutely amazing Tom. Well done. I remember reading about Gob-ler's centrum run in, I think, Maryland and being impressed. I never did get the chance to talk to him about it. And then Mainiac1957, Quilting Mom and Sudinom doing a centrum in Tennessee. Impressive as well. And then the power runs came along. While I don't mean to minimize what anyone has accomplished, this truly is impressive as a centrum run. WOW!

Karen, a 12 hour adventure starting at midnight and continuing thru the night into the day. Impressive as well. I know a lot went into this and all three....Jon, Karen and Tom deserve and have earned a hearty pat on the back. Kudos to all.

Waterski
09-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes, I agree. Add my pat on the back to all of you.

eebee
09-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Congratulations to all of you for even attempting to take this on! Very impressive!

we3beans
09-07-2010, 01:03 PM
MOST IMPRESSIVE! Congrats to KK and TAT and a round of applause to Jon.
Way to meet a goal!

kayaking loon
09-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Congratulations Tom! Wow!! I am impressed.

Kaching Karen
09-07-2010, 05:21 PM
I need to make sure that Ekiodai gets the recognition he deserves for this cache run. We had just started and he came buzzing by us to work on some caches. Yep, folks. We are talking 12:30 am.
He's done a great job with this Stud Mill Road challenge and I can't imagine the hours he's put in trying to perfect it. Nice job, Mike. And a big thanks for giving me the opportunity to dream big. It was fun.

EMSDanel
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Wow......simply wow to you all. And to Tom, I'm going to start thinking of you as the "Bandit". Give the man challenge and he'll take it on, and he'll get it done.

EMSDanel
09-07-2010, 08:40 PM
As another example, only the Tieman brothers have done this cache: GC242Z9 (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/#)

pjpreb
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
You crazy kids! What a cool accomplishment! Congrats :)

hollora
09-07-2010, 11:19 PM
As another example, only the Tieman brothers have done this cache: GC242Z9 (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/#)

The link is wrong Dan but I believe the cache GC# is right. Try this one. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC242Z9+)

Ekidokai
09-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Fantastic. That was a huge effort. The SMR is 126 miles. The East loop is 62 miles. The straight stretch is 39 miles. Which leaves 25 for the West loop.

Ekidokai
09-10-2010, 01:20 AM
I need to make sure that Ekiodai gets the recognition he deserves for this cache run. We had just started and he came buzzing by us to work on some caches. Yep, folks. We are talking 12:30 am.
He's done a great job with this Stud Mill Road challenge and I can't imagine the hours he's put in trying to perfect it. Nice job, Mike. And a big thanks for giving me the opportunity to dream big. It was fun.

I deserve no recognition on this at all. There have been three people that have taken on this challenge and they deserve all the kudos for the Herculean trek.

Only one has done the Centum by bike.

Congratulations. Just a unbelievable attempt and accomplishment.