View Full Version : Not in Maine, but Worthy Nonetheless!

CARoperPhotography
08-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Just waiting for MY turn to be the Geocacher in this position!:cool:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/24759140/detail.html

Mainiac1957
08-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I guess that makes for the ultimate first to find. Glad it was a good ending for the two ladies.

JFamilySebec
08-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Wow, they are very lucky the cachers came along. I cache alone most of the time and thoughts of things like this cross my mind I'll admit.

Waterski
08-25-2010, 07:56 PM
That was a lucky day for those two ladies!

CARoperPhotography
08-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Hope that they learned not to take a mini van on trails! I could see something like this happening in the wilderness of Maine very easily! I have two SPOT Sat emergency transceivers. One in the Jeep and one at home which I am figuring out how to make into a LITERAL Trackable Travel Bug!

Waterski
08-26-2010, 07:53 AM
That would be a great feature to take when you out in the wilderness. I was checking out something at LL Bean that may have been what you have..not sure what it was called. Is that the one that people can track you amd you can send the emergency signal? My friends sister got injured on a hike and really should have had one of those...

Sudonim
08-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Hope that they learned not to take a mini van on trails! I could see something like this happening in the wilderness of Maine very easily! I have two SPOT Sat emergency transceivers. One in the Jeep and one at home which I am figuring out how to make into a LITERAL Trackable Travel Bug!

I saw DeLorme demoing those SPOT units at Geowoodstock. Very cool product if you are caching alone in remote areas.

ltlindian
08-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Awesome! What a happy ending to that story!

cano
08-26-2010, 10:08 AM

You would just need $150 per year for tracking subscription and 100 packs of batteries per year to power it :)

cano
08-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Hope that they learned not to take a mini van on trails! I could see something like this happening in the wilderness of Maine very easily! I have two SPOT Sat emergency transceivers.

Every car should be equipped with similar device by law. Something like OnStar except using satellites like SPOT. When car detects collision it will automatically send SOS signal with your position or you can call for help by yourself or you can track your lost or stolen car.

Hiram357
08-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Every car should be equipped with similar device by law. Something like OnStar except using satellites like SPOT. When car detects collision it will automatically send SOS signal with your position or you can call for help by yourself or you can track your lost or stolen car.

if the law ever required me to have something like this, I would never own another vehicle....

Mainiac1957
08-26-2010, 08:46 PM
if the law ever required me to have something like this, I would never own another vehicle....

Monday through Friday at least....:eek:

Hiram357
08-26-2010, 10:49 PM
Monday through Friday at least....:eek:

there's a difference between being forced to have one, and being willing to have one for a paycheck... ;)

Mainiac1957
08-27-2010, 05:42 AM
there's a difference between being forced to have one, and being willing to have one for a paycheck... ;)

I know with my former cache mobile, when I used the Onstar they knew EXACTY where I was. That was more than a bit creepy.:confused:

dubord207
08-27-2010, 06:15 AM
I called Onstar one time to show my buddies how it works. We were ice fishing and our trucks were all parked in the middle of China Lake. The Onstar operator hesitated at first when I asked her where I was, but she finally said " There might be a slight satellite issue as I show you in the middle of China Lake!" Technology...big Brother's watching!:)

EMSDanel
08-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Did you read the recent controversy? An agency that gives out car loans wants to make it mandatory that all cars have one of these devices. Their thinking is: they'll know where to send the repo guy if the loanee stops making payments.......

JustKev
08-27-2010, 07:25 AM
I called Onstar one time to show my buddies how it works. We were ice fishing and our trucks were all parked in the middle of China Lake. The Onstar operator hesitated at first when I asked her where I was, but she finally said " There might be a slight satellite issue as I show you in the middle of China Lake!" Technology...big Brother's watching!:)

You did that on purpose to confuse the Onstar operator. I'll bet you were grinning during the whole conversation. :D

Hiram357
08-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Did you read the recent controversy? An agency that gives out car loans wants to make it mandatory that all cars have one of these devices. Their thinking is: they'll know where to send the repo guy if the loanee stops making payments.......

I also heard another reason was that they wanted to track the habits of "high risk" loans so they would know wether or not they should give them a loan for the vehicle... :eek:

JustPJ66
08-27-2010, 08:42 AM
just think of the potiential information that could be sold to companies about you and your shopping and stopping habits...do they go to McDonalds or Burgerking more, Do they go to the mall or shop downtown, how many trips to the grocery store do they make in a week, where do they bank....scary to think about

JustKev
08-27-2010, 08:46 AM
just think of the potiential information that could be sold to companies about you and your shopping and stopping habits...do they go to McDonalds or Burgerking more, Do they go to the mall or shop downtown, how many trips to the grocery store do they make in a week, where do they bank....scary to think about

They hide a camera in the dash somewhere showing what you do as you get there they'd see 75 - 99% of today's drivers trying to be creative about how they pick their nose.

masterson of the universe
08-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I would guess they'd also want to know why the hell the vehicle seemed to stop at every guardrail it passed...

JustPJ66
08-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Lol :) :) :)

cano
08-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Everybody calm down!

Device will not send any information without your knowledge or consent (except when collision is detected) so nobody will be able to track you.

Communication standard will be open and anybody will be able to implement their version of the device. If you don't trust manufacturer of your device, you can build your own.

Ekidokai
08-27-2010, 10:57 AM

I love this idea. That's cool.

I also heard another reason was that they wanted to track the habits of "high risk" loans so they would know wether or not they should give them a loan for the vehicle... :eek:

Ummm, unless they stole my time travel device, this would be a little hard.

Everybody calm down!

Device will not send any information without your knowledge or consent (except when collision is detected) so nobody will be able to track you.

Communication standard will be open and anybody will be able to implement their version of the device. If you don't trust manufacturer of your device, you can build your own.

Besides that I can break and by pass anything. Like most things even the security keys for cars. If you don't want to pay big bucks to get a special key made for your car, it only takes three wires to bypass it.

Hiram357
08-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Everybody calm down!

I still wouldn't trust it. The way technology goes nowadays, just about anything can be done. And about 90% we have no clue about. :D

So who's to say someone can't hack the system or just push a button and poof there you are...

I feel the same way about most technology, especially cell phones. I didn't need one before, so why do I need one now? I get along just fine without. :D:D

cano
08-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I still wouldn't trust it. The way technology goes nowadays, just about anything can be done. And about 90% we have no clue about. :D

If you don't trust the device, you can build your own as I explained before.

So who's to say someone can't hack the system

I do. Hacking this system will not be any easier that hacking any other system your security depends on it right now.

or just push a button and poof there you are...

so don't take people who would push a buttons in your car. If somebody can get near your car they can as well attach a magnetic tracking device under it, no need to bother with hacking.

I feel the same way about most technology, especially cell phones. I didn't need one before, so why do I need one now? I get along just fine without. :D:D

then dig a cave and live there. Don't use internet, phones, car, credit cards, anything... because you didn't need any of these before.

If you are afraid about your privacy while having a cellphone on you, you can still remove the battery. Unless you have an iShit, LOL.

Sudonim
08-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Besides that I can break and by pass anything. Like most things even the security keys for cars. If you don't want to pay big bucks to get a special key made for your car, it only takes three wires to bypass it.

That's WAY old school. Anything in the last 10 years with the transponder key can't be bypassed. You can buy an interface to simulate it, but the new cars (Ford and Toyota 2010+) are running 80 bit encryption on the transponders. Fuel pump won't work if the key is wrong. If there was a bypass available, trust me, I would be using it. I install several hundred remote car starters per winter and the transponder interface adds about 30% to the customers bill :(

Hiram357
08-27-2010, 12:18 PM
If you don't trust the device, you can build your own as I explained before.

I do. Hacking this system will not be any easier that hacking any other system your security depends on it right now.

so don't take people who would push a buttons in your car. If somebody can get near your car they can as well attach a magnetic tracking device under it, no need to bother with hacking.

then dig a cave and live there. Don't use internet, phones, car, credit cards, anything... because you didn't need any of these before.

If you are afraid about your privacy while having a cellphone on you, you can still remove the battery. Unless you have an iShit, LOL.

lol, so no matter what I'm screwed. So I just won't pay $$ for that stuff, that cave thing does sound like a good idea... :D:D:D

cano
08-27-2010, 12:40 PM
lol, so no matter what I'm screwed. So I just won't pay $$ for that stuff, that cave thing does sound like a good idea... :D:D:D

once you have this communication device in your car I could be used for different things. To get sensor reading from your car like temperature or mileage using the Internet. (mileage would be helpful when I do my registration over the Internet and I have to go to the car just to read it. Not anymore with this device) You could start your car remotely and cool it down or warm it up from the Internet or control any other accessories.
I installed remote starter to my car for $300 and only what it does is starts my car. This device would be cheaper and more universal. Also your car insurance would go down, since it would be easier to retrieve your car when stolen. So in a long term you would save money by having this in your car.

Ekidokai
08-27-2010, 02:59 PM
That's WAY old school. Anything in the last 10 years with the transponder key can't be bypassed. You can buy an interface to simulate it, but the new cars (Ford and Toyota 2010+) are running 80 bit encryption on the transponders. Fuel pump won't work if the key is wrong. If there was a bypass available, trust me, I would be using it. I install several hundred remote car starters per winter and the transponder interface adds about 30% to the customers bill :(

I dont know what your trying to preserve in that electronic mess. You loose some of the fancy stuff that people didn't want in the first place. I just shorted out a 2011. It runs good. No fancy fuel mileage calculator, indicators for some other stuff and the computer goes crazy when you hok it up to check things. But $5 as apposed to $1000 was worth in.

dubord207
08-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Hey, the meds have worn off...and you are right! Grinning, yeah, listening to my redneck friends hear all that and remark that they'd never, ever have Onstar in their trucks...priceless!

You did that on purpose to confuse the Onstar operator. I'll bet you were grinning during the whole conversation. :D

JFamilySebec
08-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Oooh, someone to ask! How much is it roughly to have a remote car starter installed on say, a 2007 Corolla? I miss this feature sooooo much!

hollora
08-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Oooh, someone to ask! How much is it roughly to have a remote car starter installed on say, a 2007 Corolla? I miss this feature sooooo much!

Yes, within our community many Professoinals in a lot of occupations - Sudonium is one of the best with this and Sound Systems............:D Shop locally!

And - did I mention? ;) He has Geocaching supplies, pathtags and who knows what else Geo related in his Brewer store. ;)

Haffy
08-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Sudonium,,,,,,hmmmm must be one of those new elements......;

Mainiac1957
08-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Sudonium,,,,,,hmmmm must be one of those new elements......;

Lois, Thanks for feeding those of us who like to pick up on the slightest faux pax. :D:p:rolleyes:;)

hollora
08-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh you are welcome - at least I didn't call him Suduko!

Sudonim
08-29-2010, 08:19 AM

Depends on a couple of things. Is it an automatic, and does it have power door locks. If it is a standard it HAS to have power locks, and they need to be integrated to the starter.
Most starters go in automatics. If you have an automatic, it is $319.99 installed (plus tax), and if you have your power locks integrated as well, add $50.00. A standard (with the locks hooked up too) is $419.99. (Lots more stuff to hook up!).
Any of those come with 2 remotes and 1500' of range. Need more range? $40 more gets you to 3000' and we have remotes with screens on them too so you know if the car started and how much runtime is left.