View Full Version : Is this ok?

rogu3
08-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi all,
I was asked a question last night about logging a Travel Bug and I wasn't sure how to answer but figured I'd ask the experts. Heck who knows the person who made the request might possibly be on here.

My friend got an email last night from another GeoCacher about a TB they recently picked up. Here is what the email asked..

"You grabbed a TB yesterday before I had the chance to log it. I want to help the owner. Would you drop it in a Mass Cache and then a NH cache(that you have done before, that would help the guys miles) Then place it in a cache in Maine that would be great. I am on vacation and didn't get to do all the logs from the weekend. (sitting in mcdonalds WIFI hot spot)"

My friend asked me what I thought she should do. Now the problem is she doesn't have any MA or NH caches logged so she really can't do it but is this a common request and is it ok?

Thanks all

BODY { FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-SIZE:10pt } P { FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-SIZE:10pt } DIV { FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-SIZE:10pt } TD { FONT-FAMILY:Verdana; FONT-SIZE:10pt }

cano
08-31-2010, 10:50 AM
If she grabbed it from somewhere, she should return it back, wait for the other guy to log it and then retrieve it again.

Fins_Up
08-31-2010, 11:06 AM
I had this happen on the Delorme "Bears in the Bushes" cache. I picked up a TB and logged it as retrieved from the cache. I got an email asking if I could drop it back in that cache and retrieve it because they had not had a chance to log it as being dropped in that cache yet and wanted to help with the miles. I saw no harm in doing so and logged it as dropping it back in the cache and then immediately picked it back up from there. They were happy to get their miles and it really showed correctly the path the TB had taken. I think you need more information from them. They need to take the TB # and log it in the proper caches and then drop it back in the one where you picked it up. Once they have done that then you can log it as retrieved from there. Confusing?? I agree.

rogu3
08-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah ok that makes sense.
I'll pass along the info thanks.

Ekidokai
08-31-2010, 08:17 PM
That scenario sounds a little off Rogu3.

I think the best way to handle it would be to give the numbers from the TB to the guy that requested the dropping and crap and let them do what they wanted to with it.

I would not want a TB of mine to just be dropped in a cache for miles if it had not been in there. Just isn't right.

After a day or two tell her to grab it back and then she can drop it into a cache the way it should be.

hollora
08-31-2010, 10:35 PM
That scenario sounds a little off Rogu3.

I think the best way to handle it would be to give the numbers from the TB to the guy that requested the dropping and crap and let them do what they wanted to with it.

If the person who wrote the holder of the TB had actually had the TB - the person should have written the numbers down. And had they done so, they in fact could grab it back.

Numbers are not shared like this. That is the reason there are rules about logging TBs and the reason folks block out their numbers on photos. NO ghost logging.

I would not want a TB of mine to just be dropped in a cache for miles if it had not been in there. Just isn't right.

That is understandable - I would not like it either. Yet another reason to not send the numbers to someone who just wrote a request to the current holder.

masterson of the universe
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
The other piece that seems off is that they are asking you to log the TB into several caches in several states. At most, they should be asking to drop in one single cache and I would check to make sure they have already logged that cache and forgot to log the TB. I don't want my TB's scoring bonus miles when they may not have actually made the journey.

Ekidokai
09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
The way I'm reading it is that the previous holder dropped the TB in a cache and the current holder picked it up before the previous cacher logged it into that cache. Fine drop it in and pick it back up, case closed.

Then I thought the previous holder wanted the current holder to log it into caches that the current holder had visited because the previous holder did not do it.

Now I read it differently. I previous holder asked the current holder to log the TB into caches that the current holder had visited just to get mileage and states. This is wrong.

hollora
09-01-2010, 05:23 PM
When I first started - was on the road with Cache Maine - I dropped a TB at a rest stop on the road and before we hit out hotel, a cache came along and "grabbed it". I was very upset.

This isn't the collapse of an empire here. But I thought so at the time.

I had the TB number as I keep them in notes - so I just grabbed it back and dropped it into the cache and sent an email to the person who grabbed it right behind me. Simple for them as they as the TB in their hand - they had the number and could just pick it up.

As for asking someone to drop the TB into caches - not kosher.

Been said before - not life or limb here.