View Full Version : Great new challenge cache

pm28570
09-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Just saw this newly published challenge this morning and it is calling to me. GC1M654 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=00cc0f18-699f-40c5-94db-6d250f5dd86f). Excellent idea Hollora!

WhereRWe?
09-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Does anyone have a listing of the crash sites? Brdad? I know we've visited a couple, but I'd hate to have to weed through our cache logs to find them. :D:D

hollora
09-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Does anyone have a listing of the crash sites? Brdad? I know we've visited a couple, but I'd hate to have to weed through our cache logs to find them. :D:D

There is a bookmark list on the cache page! :D:D

WhereRWe?
09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
There is a bookmark list on the cache page! :D:D

Ah! Ok - thanks. I missed that. :D:D

hollora
09-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I added it after the cache got published (only way to do it). Hope it helps.

I remember each and every trek. The F-86A site there is a letter in the cache container to the pilot from his Granddaughter he never met. Wished I had taken a photo of it. Maybe another visitor will. If anyone wants some tips on access to these, email me. Did a lot of research before starting on the trek to them all.

WhereRWe?
09-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I saw a plane crash once - right in front of us at an airshow. Military C-130 doing a LAPES (Low Altitude Parachute Extraction System) demonstration, where a parachute pulls cargo out of the back of the plane when it's flying only a few feet off the ground. The plane came in too fast and hit the ground.

Not a pretty sight.

Click on this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C-130_Hercules_crashes) and go to July 1, 1987.

hollora
09-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I saw a plane crash once - right in front of us at an airshow. Military C-130 doing a LAPES (Low Altitude Parachute Extraction System) demonstration, where a parachute pulls cargo out of the back of the plane when it's flying only a few feet off the ground. The plane came in too fast and hit the ground.

Not a pretty sight.

Click on this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C-130_Hercules_crashes) and go to July 1, 1987.

I'm sure it was awful. :( Every site I visited, reminded me of the power in an aircraft and what service men/women do every day. They give unselfishly and many paid the ultimate sacrafice. Not all in a crash, but, the military is a dangerous profession.

Thank you for the link and education - I had no idea they did this with a plane to deliver supplies - let alone a tank! :eek:

WhereRWe?
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Thank you for the link and education - I had no idea they did this with a plane to deliver supplies - let alone a tank! :eek:

Actually, I found a video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhG_HSfawpc) that actually shows a LAPES demonstration at an air show at Fort Bragg - exactly the same thing we saw in 1987. Only that time, the plane didn't go back up...

And here's another interesting video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udk2jOJfoIw&feature=related) of "airdrops gone wrong". LOL!

You've piqued my interest! I may just have to try this challenge! LOL!

hollora
09-09-2010, 09:02 PM

You've piqued my interest! I may just have to try this challenge! LOL!

I think you would enjoy it - and not all these sites are just easy peezees. One is a hike over some slash but you can take your time. My knee isn't the best and I did it.

The final is easy but you could enjoy some cold refreshments at a Bangor Pub after.

The journey to see them all is a good one. Ekidokai was with me when I did the Aroostook County loop and we did 3 in one day. You could combine that with doing the final or a stop over in Bangor and do Bald Mtn and then the final on the following day.

Not a numbers game but a chance to learn history and see some places which are truly - final resting grounds. If I can help route in any way - let me know.

hollora
09-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for those links. Interesting stuff!

Hubby (service - USAF - Jet Mechanic/Crew Chief) really enjoyed them - comment was, "that machine of yours can get anything today can't it!?!" LOL he won't even turn on the computer. My comment, "Yes it will and see what you are missing."

CARoperPhotography
09-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Wonderful cache idea! Hollara, please PM me, because I think I have a cache that is near another crash site that you maybe aware of, or may not be aware of.... or not aware that the final cords for a mystery cache of mine is near. I have considered archiving that cache and placing a new one. I'd like to know if you would add this cache, or a new cache nearby especially for this purpose, to your cache logging qualifications! Thanks!

hollora
09-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Wonderful cache idea! Hollara, please PM me, because I think I have a cache that is near another crash site that you maybe aware of, or may not be aware of.... or not aware that the final cords for a mystery cache of mine is near. I have considered archiving that cache and placing a new one. I'd like to know if you would add this cache, or a new cache nearby especially for this purpose, to your cache logging qualifications! Thanks!

You have mail through GC.com Thank you for asking.

hollora
09-11-2010, 06:14 PM
For those interested I have been in communication with CARoperPhotography. I won't change the terms of my challenge cache until the FTF is made.

There are several people fairly close or close enough it could be achieved with planning and in one weekend. There seems to be a bit of interest so in all fairness, no monkey wrenches. Since I did not post I would add caches as they were placed, I will give everyone the opportunity to get FTF.

I will probably change it after the FTF, as other memorial aviation caches might be placed, but, I will add this information to the cache page in a few days. There will be some criteria which I would like followed.

Watch the cache page for any additions. Thank you for your interest.

CARoperPhotography
09-12-2010, 05:27 PM
http://coord.info/GC2F14H

hollora
09-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Cache has been archived. I encourage anyone to visit the crash sites without working on this challenge - cause it is gone - the caches are well worth the visit.

brdad
09-23-2010, 06:44 PM
I thought this was a pretty good idea. It seems to me it would comply with the guidelines if only the list of caches was listed? If you would like to resubmit it as such, I can make a up a macro so you can obtain the list and update it easily. I was pondering such a macro for the challenge cache help article anyway. Although I guess the bookmark list does the same thing. It is still an explicit list... Hmmmm

brdad
09-23-2010, 07:02 PM
The funny part is, if you put partial coordinates in each of the listed caches that would take you to a new cache, that should be ok as a mystery cache, just not a challenge, which is not even a separate cache type.

JustKev
09-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Can't you do a multi-cache with each site as the parts of the whole for the final?

brdad
09-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Can't you do a multi-cache with each site as the parts of the whole for the final?

Yes you can. Generally if you do not have to do the required caches in a particular order it is a mystery cache, not a multi. Multis are usually done in order, although I have seen it done both ways.

CARoperPhotography
09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes you can. Generally if you do not have to do the required caches in a particular order it is a mystery cache, not a multi. Multis are usually done in order, although I have seen it done both ways.

I've seen multis that should really be mystery caches. Mystery caches that should really be multis. I have seen TRADITIONAL caches which really should be mutlis, and traditional caches that should really be mysterys. I have seen "mystery" events which should really be a regular events, and letterboxes which should really be mysterys.....

Ekidokai
09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
I counted about thirty without going through them all that fall into the same category as this one. It is wrong to have archived this cache without notice or giving the owner any chance to address this issue.

To top it all off, how it was brought up as an issue is slimy at best especially since some of the many caches that fall into this category where put out by the person.

This cache was placed according to the precedent set.

Before all the guideline spouter's start, I know what the guidelines say about precedent. I put a lot of time and money into this cache and others that should be archived immediately. The law does recognize precedent and it supersedes the guidelines.

This one needs to be reactivated immediately or all the others need to be archived and my existences be reimbursed.

CARoperPhotography
09-23-2010, 09:56 PM
I counted about thirty without going through them all that fall into the same category as this one. It is wrong to have archived this cache without notice or giving the owner any chance to address this issue.

To top it all off, how it was brought up as an issue is slimy at best especially since some of the many caches that fall into this category where put out by the person.

This cache was placed according to the precedent set.

Before all the guideline spouter's start, I know what the guidelines say about precedent. I put a lot of time and money into this cache and others that should be archived immediately. The law does recognize precedent and it supersedes the guidelines.

This one needs to be reactivated immediately or all the others need to be archived and my existences be reimbursed.

The law? Ekidokai, you really need to realize that the LAW and Cache GUIDELINES are two entirely different areas......

I think MANY reviewers may apply the GUIDELINES to your Stud Mill Rd series, and would have to my Star Wars series a bit differently than MainePublisher did and never allowed them to be published.

All I hear on this forum is cachers telling ME about the Guidelines.... and for ONCE Guidelines have been enforced consistently here and you have a temper tantrum?

I think you will see that I even made an archive request on The New England Challenge GC27MHQ (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3a0bdaf8-dcf2-4848-a869-0538bb82f387#)..... as a POINT about cache constistency and the following of guidelines. But, I will say that this maybe a step in the correct direction for caching and reviewers when they DO apply standards equally.

And big deal, you put time and money into this cache. I have put TIME AND MONEY into caches.... and you know what? I have done it before and had my cache archived, or disallowed by the reviewer. So because you put TIME AND MONEY into the cache, it should be allowed to thwart the guidelines?

brdad
09-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Mike, you can't go solely on existing caches as many have been grandfathered. Gc.com constantly changes the guidelines which makes it tough to differentiate at times. Some we agree upon, others we don't - there has been one change that IMO has made a big difference in my Battleship cache, which I don't like, but that's "progress". And Chadd is correct, time or money spent has no bearing on any cache.

Ekidokai
09-24-2010, 01:23 AM
For someone that throws tantrums about guidelines all the time, there seems to be a lot of tickets being issued and caches archived for not having permission to place them.

CARoperPhotography
09-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Mike, be rational and reasonable. I do not throw "tantrums" about guidelines. I state fact, and reasonably support my views. When I disagree with guidelines related issues, it is based on the INCONSISTENT application of guidelines, and NOT the guidelines themselves. If Groundspeak and the reviewers are going to go by the book and follow guidelines and archive or disallow a cache due to guidelines, then those guidelines MUST be applied across the board to everyone with consistentsy.

As far as tickets being issues and caches being archived..... I can only speculate that you are speaking of my Star Wars series? If so, then you should know better that I self-archived those caches for my own personal reasons. No reviewer, property owner, or Groundspeak asked or ordered me to do so. Speaking of which, do you have signed written permission from the property owners along Stud Mill for each and every of your series? Thats a long long long road my friend.... and if I understand what you are IMPLYING by what you are saying here about my caches, I wonder the same thing about your caches. Say what to that?

If you have a personal problem with me and my caching Mike, let's hear it. I know that you say things "behind" closed doors about me. Why don't you bring it all to the table instead of trying to play both sides?

JustKev
09-24-2010, 06:37 PM
I think it's time this thread was closed.