View Full Version : Wear your orange

Team2hunt
09-12-2010, 08:59 PM
It is that time of year again. The leaves have started to change, the days get colder and the night seems to come quicker. It is also the start of hunting season here in Maine, and around New England. The bear hunting season started in late August and now the camoed bow hunters will be out starting tomorrow. Be careful when out in the woods as anyone, can be out there hunting with you. Wear your orange and be safe. The links on the front page will guide you through each new England state for their respective hunting laws and seasons.

hollora
09-12-2010, 09:13 PM
It is that time of year again. The leaves have started to change, the days get colder and the night seems to come quicker. It is also the start of hunting season here in Maine, and around New England. The bear hunting season started in late August and now the camoed bow hunters will be out starting tomorrow. Be careful when out in the woods as anyone, can be out there hunting with you. Wear your orange and be safe. The links on the front page will guide you through each new England state for their respective hunting laws and seasons.

Thanks for your reminder Team2Hunt. Also, FYI, Native American land in the State of Maine does not all share the same hunting seasons. I don't know of anywhere those seasons are posted.

So wearing your blaze orange when on any Native American land or roadways running through their lands (such as part of what is known as the Stud Mill Road run) from now until the major hunts are over with would not be a bad idea. If in doubt about where the Native boundries are located - consult a DeLorme Gazateer.

And - don't forget about your dogs during this season. Mine can look like a small fawn :eek::eek::eek: - thankfully she prefers to sleep in the car. Orange vests are available for dogs too.

Cache safely! Thanks Team2hunt for this thread.

Ekidokai
09-13-2010, 12:41 PM
That thing of yours could be mistaken for a small moose.

hollora
09-13-2010, 04:19 PM
That thing of yours could be mistaken for a small moose.

She has an orange vest too! ;):):D

Team2hunt
09-14-2010, 07:35 AM
I see that 90 people have viewed this thread and now know that hunting season is here. Please use common sense when in the woods, and be careful.

Remember that there is NO HUNTING on Sundays in the state of Maine.

JustKev
09-14-2010, 07:58 AM
I see that 90 people have viewed this thread and now know that hunting season is here. Please use common sense when in the woods, and be careful.

Remember that there is NO HUNTING on Sundays in the state of Maine.

A hunter from Shin Pond knows it's hunting season. Got bit by a bear he "mortally wounded". The bear was being chased by dogs. Bear hunting has it's risks.

Team2hunt
09-17-2010, 06:11 PM
and I just want everyone to be safe this upcoming weekend. Check the area where you are heading and wear your orange.

masterson of the universe
09-18-2010, 05:59 PM
A hunter from Shin Pond knows it's hunting season. Got bit by a bear he "mortally wounded". The bear was being chased by dogs. Bear hunting has it's risks.

Thats his fault. You should never hunt bear with people or animals that can outrun you. Never be the slowest, aka "bear food" in your hunting party. I know I can't outrun a dog so I'd never shoot a bear while out hunting with them. His best bet would have been to shoot the dog next and keep running. :eek::D

Ekidokai
09-18-2010, 09:09 PM
That poor bear.

JustKev
09-19-2010, 08:55 PM
That poor bear.

I can't wait for November now that my arm bends enough to shoot my rifles again. ;)

Francis Family
09-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Haven't posted in forever but thought I would add just some info to this thread... Hunting on Penobscot Indian Land is allowed 7 days per week- I am not sure of the other tribal lands in Maine but believe they follow the same guidelines. For Penobscots the actual season dates are available through the tribal website but for big game the firearm season runs September through 12/31. I do not know of any caches that fall within Penobscot Tribal lands however do know that there are a few active caches that are very close if not within Passamaquoddy Tribal land. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

brdad
09-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Welcome back, and that is good information to know for those that cache in those areas. Perhaps we can find links to those season dates and add them to the hunting section on the front page. Using my new Maine Towns GSAK macro I only see 3 caches on any land labeled as reservation, and those are all in "Indian Twp Res.", near Princeton. I'm not sure if those boundaries are consistent with actual reservation land or not - We were discussing this somewhere (chat maybe?) a few weeks back.

Ekidokai
09-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I not being funny but years ago when I lived in Red Beach I thought you could hunt anytime on those lands with a bow.

Is that still true? Or was it ever?

dubord207
09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Ah, no. But by the sounds of things, the Statute of Limitations has likely run. So what illegal animals did you get?:D

I not being funny but years ago when I lived in Red Beach I thought you could hunt anytime on those lands with a bow.

Is that still true? Or was it ever?

Ekidokai
09-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Ah, no. But by the sounds of things, the Statute of Limitations has likely run. So what illegal animals did you get?:D

I was dating girls from the Indian lands there and I think they told me that.

Francis Family
09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Brdad, I am not techno literate so I have no idea if you can make a link... but you can find the penobscot hunting season dates by going to www.penobscotnation.org (http://www.penobscotnation.org) look under the natural resources department and you should be able to view the most current hunting regulations, the season dates are listed toward the end. Hope that helps.
Oh and thanks for the welcome back ;)

Team2hunt
10-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Next Saturday the 23rd is Youth Deer Day, and the start of the rifle season for deer hunting. It's time to grab your orange and put it in the geo mobile so you will have it when you need it. Or just wait and head outside on Sunday's when, in Maine, there is NO HUNTING!

The following Saturday October 30th is the official start of deer hunting with a rifle in Maine. Please check the links on the home page to see your respective state for their seasons, regulations and laws. Be safe this season.

WhereRWe?
10-16-2010, 04:41 PM
Or just wait and head outside on Sunday's when, in Maine, there is NO HUNTING!

Sheesh! No hunting on Sunday? Oops... :o:o

dubord207
10-16-2010, 04:50 PM
I know what you mean, Bruce. When I moved from Waterville to China about 30 years ago, I made the mistake of inquiring why there was so much gunfire at night in this area. The answer was that this is an "exempt" area! Huh? So hunting goes on in this area 24/7, 365 days a year but hunter orange is not needed except during the official season. There's a lot of rednecks in this part of Maine who could care less about the rules.:(

Sheesh! No hunting on Sunday? Oops... :o:o

JustPJ66
10-16-2010, 06:03 PM
China isnt the only "exempt" area of the state LOL

WhereRWe?
10-16-2010, 06:26 PM
There's a lot of rednecks in this part of Maine who could care less about the rules.

Sheesh! Rules, too??? :o:o

Team2hunt
10-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Next Saturday the 23rd is Youth Deer Day, and the start of the rifle season for deer hunting. It's time to grab your orange and put it in the geo mobile so you will have it when you need it. Or just wait and head outside on Sunday's when, in Maine, there is NO HUNTING!

The following Saturday October 30th is the official start of deer hunting with a rifle in Maine. Please check the links on the home page to see your respective state for their seasons, regulations and laws. Be safe this season.

Just to bring this back to where it was intentionally meant to be.....