View Full Version : Get Useless In Eustis IV

kayaking loon
09-26-2010, 01:44 PM
First, thanks to all those who attended this years event, brought food, door prizes, and made it fun for all!

So.. when do we have next years event? Opinions please. September 24th? September 17th? Earlier? Not later.

Any changes we should make to the "format"?

Does the awarding of door prizes take too long? If so, how can we speed that up?

Thanks for any input! KL

dubord207
09-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Either date would be fine. I really think the later date presents more foliage but heck, the entire area is spectacular any time of year.

I think the format is fine! This year, there was a lot more food which is nice because there was a full house... again!

Thanks again for making this happen. We know it takes a lot of work to put together such a fine event, let alone all the nice new caches you placed! I was ready to book a site when we left this morning and the campground is closing October 3rd, so if you decide before then, let us all know so we make our reservations!:):):)

hollora
09-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Jean - again = an event enjoyed by many and a huge TFTC!

I would like to see this not on the weekend of the Common Ground Fair (CGF) = but it its your event, choose the date. I do believe one consideration is = no conflict with CGF you will get more cachers (those who go to the fair - I can think of at least the potential for 6 or more).

Let us know. Another great event and super time! Thanks for the caches which had, as always, super swag!

pm28570
09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Either time frame is fine for me. I think the current time frame, as in the past 3 events, have been good timing for Cathedral Pines giving them a season-ending boost.
Hollora has a valid point about the Common Ground Fair......but why go to CGF when I can get Useless in Eustis? :D
Dunno what to tell 'ya about the doorprizes, it just takes a little time.
And the format? I think it works fine.

fins2right
09-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I like the later date for the foliage, but I"m just happy to go! I would say stick with the format! It works, everyone has a great time, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Mainiac1957
09-26-2010, 05:28 PM
I am so fine with the current date and how you do things. As others have said...It's your event! :cool:

brdad
09-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Sorry for yet another year we were unable to make it. We're still hoping for next year!

cano
09-26-2010, 06:42 PM
First, thanks to all those who attended this years event, brought food, door prizes, and made it fun for all!

So.. when do we have next years event? Opinions please. September 24th? September 17th? Earlier? Not later.

Any changes we should make to the "format"?

Does the awarding of door prizes take too long? If so, how can we speed that up?

Thanks for any input! KL

Thanks for organizing such a great events. I prefer to have events week earlier (mid of September). You can speed up door prices by drawing them faster (parallelize it) Food lines could be parallelized too. I don't have problem with WiFi reception for some reason :) but having a client server WiFi router with a big antenna connected to public library would help, maybe I can bring one next year.

dubord207
09-26-2010, 07:00 PM
While I have always enjoyed the CGF and visiting with all the goat herders and folks that don't come to town often, if given the choice I'd opt for a weekend in Eustis...hands down. Besides, the sausages cooked on my grill on Friday night contained 100% meat with nitrates, nitrites and not even a hint of spinach! :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
09-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Besides, the sausages cooked on my grill on Friday night contained 100% meat with nitrates, nitrites and not even a hint of spinach! :rolleyes:

Sheesh! Next year, RULost2? and I may have to dig out the pop-up camper!

What brand/kind of sausages were these? (Is there a "smilie" for drooling?)

dubord207
09-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Kendra brought them...Johnsonville Beer Brats....yummy when cooked right and I know they cooked them perfect. Yeah, you need to make this one a weekend next year. We were behind you two briefly on Saturday.

WhereRWe?
09-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Kendra brought them...Johnsonville Beer Brats....yummy when cooked right and I know they cooked them perfect. Yeah, you need to make this one a weekend next year. We were behind you two briefly on Saturday.

Sheesh! Johnsonville Beer Brats? Made in some place we never heard of? You need to try Kayem beer brats (http://www.kayemfoods.com/news/compnews/KMBrat.pdf) - made with Harpoon IPA! :D:D

JustKev
09-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Johnsonville Beer Brats are top notch on the grill. We've been fixing them for years when we go hunting. Nothing tastes better than something hot off the grill when the temperature is hovering around freezing or below. Might have to hunt up some of the Kayem ones for comparison purposes.

WhereRWe?
09-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Might have to hunt up some of the Kayem ones for comparison purposes.

Not all Kayem Beer Brats are made with Harpoon - you need to took to find them. :D:D

JustKev
09-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Not all Kayem Beer Brats are made with Harpoon - you need to took to find them. :D:D

We really like brats on the grill and the beer brats have been our favorite....except the store brand ones we found. Hannaford I think. Not much to brag about for Hannaford's.

JustPJ66
09-27-2010, 07:19 AM
it was walmart store brand...not hannafords but it put us off store brand beer brats in any store

EMSDanel
09-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Yet another outstanding event! Outstanding breakfast, outstanding friends, an outstanding day of caching, all topped off with the outstanding array of food at the end. I'm sure there were many people bringing home food that they had brought but didn't get eaten. I toss this up as another possibility: Instead of having pot-luck (where you have no control on who brings what) have you thought of putting on a spaghetti feed? Spaghetti, sauce (some with meat, some without), salad, and garlic bread/roles? It would only take a couple of people to prepare it and a couple of people serving it out. Charge $2.00 per head or whatever it takes to cover costs. You could even have pot-luck desserts..... Just a thought.

kayaking loon
09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Since I don't have too much time to think about this, I think for Gooey 4 at least, I'll stick with the last Saturday in September which in 2011 will be September 24th. I need to reserve the Group sites now (almost lost them to an ATV club one year just by hesitating a day or two)and some people make their reservations for the next year when they leave. CGF is always the third weekend after Labor Day, which usually but not always falls on the last Saturday. So you all have my permission to go to CGF on the years when there is no conflict. ;)

I don't want to charge for anything so lets keep doing the potluck. It's more fun than a spaghetti dinner. I like eating other peoples cooking! I have some ideas for next year for those who really have a problem bringing a cooked dish.. more later.. much later...

And I like having people choose a door prize instead of just being handed one. Maybe we can draw numbers quicker and get several people at the prize table at the same time. If they all want the same prize we can watch them fight. No, they wouldn't fight, cachers are nice people..... But we can keep talking about this.. or about beer brats... your choice. I'm good to go for next year.

Mainiac1957
09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Since I don't have too much time to think about this, I think for Gooey 4 at least, I'll stick with the last Saturday in September which in 2011 will be September 24th. I need to reserve the Group sites now (almost lost them to an ATV club one year just by hesitating a day or two)and some people make their reservations for the next year when they leave. CGF is always the third weekend after Labor Day, which usually but not always falls on the last Saturday. So you all have my permission to go to CGF on the years when there is no conflict. ;)

I don't want to charge for anything so lets keep doing the potluck. It's more fun than a spaghetti dinner. I like eating other peoples cooking! I have some ideas for next year for those who really have a problem bringing a cooked dish.. more later.. much later...

And I like having people choose a door prize instead of just being handed one. Maybe we can draw numbers quicker and get several people at the prize table at the same time. If they all want the same prize we can watch them fight. No, they wouldn't fight, cachers are nice people..... But we can keep talking about this.. or about beer brats... your choice. I'm good to go for next year.

This is why we keep coming. (Plus like you said I like to try other peoples home cooking):D:p

brdad
09-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Maybe next year someone can log The Official Geocaching Maine Event TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TBPV7C) in and out of the event. :D:D:D

WhereRWe?
09-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Maybe next year someone can log The Official Geocaching Maine Event TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TBPV7C) in and out of the event. :D:D:D

Sheesh! It was there... Someone brought it... Make a late log entry and log it in. whoever took it should log it out. Everyone makes late TB entries. I picked up a TB in one of the caches during the event run that TAT hasn't logged in yet. I picked up another TB that was just logged in today. :D:D

brdad
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I know it was there and who took it, I was just being funny.

WhereRWe?
09-27-2010, 06:09 PM

You shouldn't try and make jokes about serious subjects like travel bugs. You know how passionate I am about them. You don't want me to start ranting, do you? ;);)

AND MY FRACKING* "Geomaine Furby (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=55898)" TB IS OBVIOUSLY MISSING AGAIN!!!

(* New episodes of Caprica (http://www.syfy.com/caprica/) start Oct 5!!!)

Mainiac1957
09-27-2010, 07:15 PM

PPPPPpPPPPpPPPFfffffffffFFFffFtttTtttTtTTTttt!!!!! !!!!!!!:p

Ekidokai
09-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Food! There was food? Where?

I liked trying all the different food. Problem was the breakfast was so good I was still full and could only get three trips in at dinner. Maybe get bigger plates so I wouldn't have to make so many trips to try all the food.

You guys put so much into making this a great time for everyone else, anything that we can do just say the word.

hollora
09-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Hee hee - that TB was there and I know who took it! Buy me out for the info LOL!

pm28570
09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Food! There was food? Where?

I liked trying all the different food. Problem was the breakfast was so good I was still full and could only get three trips in at dinner. Maybe get bigger plates so I wouldn't have to make so many trips to try all the food.

You guys put so much into making this a great time for everyone else, anything that we can do just say the word.

Did you even do any caching? :D:rolleyes:

Ekidokai
09-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I did 13. Enjoy talking and helping more.

pm28570
09-28-2010, 08:19 AM
I did 13. Enjoy talking and helping more.
All the more reason for you to be back there next year....it's an untapped area for ya.

Ekidokai
09-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Tap, tap, tap.

I'll be back soon to get the 2001 and some others.

pjpreb
09-28-2010, 08:20 PM
We had a blast and will squeeze it in to the schedule whenever it happens. Beautiful area, great friends, fun caches, great food, kayaking, hiking, moose watching, camping...how can ya beat that???? :D

vicbiker
09-29-2010, 06:36 PM
This is the event of the year...making this a big deal...cause we have some great events. I miss going to CG but wouldn't pass this up in order to go.

dubord207
09-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I agree 100%! Want some organic sausage or a beer brat and a Bloody at site 60? No contest! Schedule it in February and we'll still be there!:)

I
This is the event of the year...making this a big deal...cause we have some great events. I miss going to CG but wouldn't pass this up in order to go.

shuman road searchers
09-29-2010, 07:51 PM
I agree 100%! Want some organic sausage or a beer brat and a Bloody at site 60? No contest! Schedule it in February and we'll still be there!:)

I

I can make February! It is late September that I struggle with.

firefighterjake
09-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately I'll never be able to make it to Eustis if it is held on the same weekend as the Commonground Fair as this is Camp Jakeawana's busiest weekend of the year.

EMSDanel
09-29-2010, 10:16 PM
I made a new friend on Sunday after the 2010 Eustis event.....along the road between Stratton and Rangeley

hollora
09-29-2010, 10:29 PM
I made a new friend on Sunday after the 2010 Eustis event.....along the road between Stratton and Rangeley

hum - broken link doesn't open anything - Dan what/who did you meet?

Ekidokai
09-30-2010, 12:32 AM

At least you two could have looked at each other.

hollora
09-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Well, the link is working now - I think Bec and I saw her or a sister, Aunt, grand-mother, Mother or cousin on Friday when we were coming home from Rangeley! Nice photo!

Mapachi
10-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Any month, any day, Shotgun and I will be there.
Sausages....Curtis Meats in Warren Maine makes the best Bratwurst west Nurenburg! Authentic German sausage made in Maine!
Door prizes?.......put em all in a pile in the middle of the floor.......everyone circle around......Kayaking Loon blows an airhorn..........Instant mayhem!! WOOHOO! sounds like a free form game of Twister!