View Full Version : Personal Locator Beacons

NativeMainer
09-26-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm trying to get an idea of which one would be best to use while I'm out on the trail. I did a quick scan at the Spot Messenger and the Spot Personal Tracker, but from what I read in the reviews, they're not all that great for emergencies (which is what I want it for, for example, I've broken my leg way out on the trail and need help).

Any suggestions?

Ekidokai
09-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Cell phone, whistle, flare gun or don't go alone.

masterson of the universe
09-28-2010, 02:57 PM
It's not exactly going to help you if you are in an area without cell phone coverage but the Android devices that use Google Maps allow for the use of Latitude which allows for you to see someones (almost) exact location on google maps. It updates on the 5 minute intervals so as long as you have your phone on you and you have "friended" people like on facebook, they can follow you. Loopt is another little piece of stalker software that works on similar principles. Thankfully, you alwasy have to ok someone to be able to track you or big brother would be watching.

NativeMainer
09-28-2010, 11:28 PM
I've been strongly considering the Android. My contract is nearly up with my current phone (I have Verizon and have been happy with the service). I was kind of eyeballing the Spot Messenger and Spot Tracker, seeing if anyone had any experience with those devices.

tat
09-29-2010, 06:26 AM
It all depends on where you break your leg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPOT_Satellite_Messenger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_radiobeacon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalanche_transceiver
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_VHF_radio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

One simple thing you can do that costs no money is to let someone know where you are going and when you would like them to send help if you don't return.

team barbieri
09-29-2010, 08:27 PM
My wife and I just got droid. She got the droid2 and I got the droid x both with verizon. We love the phones and with gecaching app. we dont have to worry about having the gps loaded or even with us if we decide to do a cache anywhere we are at. So much quicker and more powerfull than our blackberry's were. Two thumbs up for us:)

cano
09-29-2010, 09:20 PM
if you send "gps" in SMS to my cellphone you will get a reply SMS with current coordinates :)

09-30-2010, 11:50 AM
My wife and I just got droid. She got the droid2 and I got the droid x both with verizon. We love the phones and with gecaching app. we dont have to worry about having the gps loaded or even with us if we decide to do a cache anywhere we are at. So much quicker and more powerfull than our blackberry's were. Two thumbs up for us:)

Which app are you using? C:Geo seems to be the best one out here and it's free.

umop3plsdn
09-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Be careful C:Geo is a wonderful app for sure... it also violates the TOS.

pm28570
09-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Be careful C:Geo is a wonderful app for sure... it also violates the TOS.
Whose TOS? Groundspeak or Verizon?

brdad
09-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Groundspeak's. Supposedly a few accounts have already been suspended or closed.

I understand people think it's ok and that such a small percentage of the whole use it, but my personal feeling is by running these apps and programs that scrape the site, it affects the products and services the rest of us are utilizing, and they are wasting time fighting these apps and trying to regain bandwidth that could be used creating the new features we all could use.

If a person feels the need to scrape, there are sites that allow it, (opencaching.us et al..) Let gc.com move on with it's version of services!

pm28570
09-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Groundspeak's. Supposedly a few accounts have already been suspended or closed.

I understand people think it's ok and that such a small percentage of the whole use it, but my personal feeling is by running these apps and programs that scrape the site, it affects the products and services the rest of us are utilizing, and they are wasting time fighting these apps and trying to regain bandwidth that could be used creating the new features we all could use.

If a person feels the need to scrape, there are sites that allow it, (opencaching.us et al..) Let gc.com move on with it's version of services!

Well, you know, I've tried the app earlier in the year and absolutely did not like it and certainly am not apt to use it. I've mentioned this and my caching style on several occasions here, it just does not fit. I guess I didn't realize that the smart phone app is considered a scraper and I dare say that the average cacher and smart phone user would not either, even after having read it in the TOS. That said, I've no problem with complying with TOS.
I think a number of us have seen the results of cachers placing a new cache utilizing a smart phone and not getting/publishing accurate coords.

cano
09-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, you know, I've tried the app earlier in the year and absolutely did not like it and certainly am not apt to use it. I've mentioned this and my caching style on several occasions here, it just does not fit. I guess I didn't realize that the smart phone app is considered a scraper and I dare say that the average cacher and smart phone user would not either, even after having read it in the TOS. That said, I've no problem with complying with TOS.
I think a number of us have seen the results of cachers placing a new cache utilizing a smart phone and not getting/publishing accurate coords.

You are mixing two unrelated things together.

brdad
09-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I guess I didn't realize that the smart phone app is considered a scraper and I dare say that the average cacher and smart phone user would not either, even after having read it in the TOS.

That is one issue I do take with the TOS - it's hard enough for someone like me who half understands it, and gc.com does not openly state what the trigger is - and probably for good reason, but it makes it hard to determine what is acceptable and what is not.

The way it was explained to me is that accessing anything on the site that you do not need to log in to see is generally allowed. It's when you need to access the other data that they do not like. That includes coordinates and some other data. Every time you access any of this data (for each cache even) is counted a a separate login. Log out and browse the site to see what you can see...

umop3plsdn
09-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Not to mention any trace of the name of the app gets removed from the forums automatically! it is known as "The app that shall remain nameless"!

umop3plsdn
09-30-2010, 04:27 PM
How is someone supposed to know if something is banned if you can't even mention it by name! An average user that isn't into app development doesn't know how that app functions by scraping the page.

Anyway, I think the thread got derailed here... haha

NativeMainer
09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Anyway, I think the thread got derailed here... haha

Happens all the time. :rolleyes:

09-30-2010, 07:20 PM
I totally get that they don't want people swiping their data but if you'd paid for a premium membership, I feel like you ought to be able to access it without having to go through an additional $10 just for 'their' app. The app that shall not be named does the exact same thing that Groundspeak's app does, only better and is free. If they want people using their own app to prevent the scraping, make the app free for premium members. Do I rely on it 100% of the time to cache? No. Do I occasionally run into a spot where i have some time and want to see if there are any undone caches in the area and don't have my laptop and GPSr? Who doesn't. None of the apps out there allow for you to do PQ's or anything so its not as though someone could 'steal' all their info using a smartphone app. Seems just a little bit much to me.

brdad
09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
I totally get that they don't want people swiping their data but if you'd paid for a premium membership, I feel like you ought to be able to access it without having to go through an additional $10 just for 'their' app.

On one hand I agree with you - it seems wrong to pay for an app when you are already paying for the membership. On the other hand, We pay money for GSAK, Mapsource, Cachemate, Delorme Topo, and numerous other applications to make the game suit our individual needs. The only difference is the origin of the product. I lean toward the thought if they want to produce a product and charge for it, then they have that right and maybe it's not wrong for them to do so.

09-30-2010, 08:13 PM
On one hand I agree with you - it seems wrong to pay for an app when you are already paying for the membership. On the other hand, We pay money for GSAK, Mapsource, Cachemate, Delorme Topo, and numerous other applications to make the game suit our individual needs. The only difference is the origin of the product. I lean toward the thought if they want to produce a product and charge for it, then they have that right and maybe it's not wrong for them to do so.

The difference here is that the apps and tools mentioned are all tools that use the data after you've already obtained it the way Groundspeak wants you to via PQ's. By all means, they are running a business and if its a new way to generate revenue, good for them. At the same time, you are asking people to pay an extra $10 just to access the same exact data a little different way.

brdad
09-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Good point. However, you are getting that data in real time, for which I would have gladly paid $10 per cache a few times!

team barbieri
09-30-2010, 09:11 PM
We are using groundspeaks app. I pay twice, once for my phone and once for my wife. I have a computer with air card in my truck and can access geocaching.com anytime...if i am in my truck, But having another tool in my toolbox makes it worth every penny to me. The sat images are great and for the most part I just use my gps'r. The smart phones primary function for me is for logging FTF, and TB drops from the cache so when someone picks it up 5 minutes later they dont just grab it from me before its logged. And yes that happened a few times to us. The other APP's I did not really consider mainely because researching them would have been a little more time consuming. To me I dont have a problem with what anyone uses, but I look at it as supporting your local business. Groundspeak has a lot of time in effort into this sport for us to enjoy so why not support them, who know that $20 bucks just might help to improve the capabilities of the web site.

pm28570
09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
You are mixing two unrelated things together.

Also known as derailing a thread.

cano
10-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I use this
http://remotetracker.sourceforge.net/manual.html

dufzor
10-09-2010, 12:31 PM
MCMURDO
Fast Find 210 Personal Locator Beacon, but so far I haven't had to use it!

brdad
10-09-2010, 12:46 PM
MCMURDO
Fast Find 210 Personal Locator Beacon, but so far I haven't had to use it!

You should attach one to your GPSr! :D

dufzor
10-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Absolutely true!