View Full Version : Question on some Maine caches...

softball29
10-04-2010, 02:38 AM
I'm only starting a thread here as I have a feeling I might be asking about a few different caches as I prepare my trip to Maine and back etc.

My drive home could be a long one. I'm leaving the Bar Harbor area probably around 8 a.m. on a Monday. Maybe a little earlier. I'm caching down Route 1, making a quick stop in Freeport at LL Bean and continuing down to grab the oldest cache in Maine before finally hitting the highways and heading home.

I'm hoping I can do the caches and the travel from Bar Harbor to Freeport by 2-3 p.m. (I have about 12 caches planned) so I can still get home by 9ish in upstate New York.

One cache that caught my eye because of how old it is was GC2A46 - We don't need no education. Obviously old caches grab my eye. Wondering what kind of time I'd be looking at for the hike from wherever you are supposed to park. Not worried about terrain and such as I am the time it will take for me to get out and back from the parking. I know one cache I want to do (the one where you walk the breakwater to the lighthouse) will take a little bit, so I'm taking everything into account.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=df407545-6396-4a73-b48f-1161c66eccd3&log=y&decrypt=#)

Ekidokai
10-04-2010, 03:44 AM
Depending on where you park it can take as little as 15 minutes.

brdad
10-04-2010, 07:10 AM
Both of those are great places. I love the breakwater. Both times I visited the Education cache I walked around the entire island. On the far end near the education cache is a pet cemetery, horses and dogs owned by Percival Baxter. The trail around the whole island is 1.25 miles; to the cache it's nearly half way. I don't think you are not supposed to cross the middle of the island (and would not want to anyway since the trail is more scenic.) There are three other caches on the trail.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=530&stc=1&d=1286190567

softball29
10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try and time it so I can do these caches. I'm figuring with a 1.2-mile hike, an hour or so if the trails aren't too bad? From Bar Harbor to home, I'm looking at about 7.5-8 hours, so I'm watching how many caches I do on the way that will take a lot of time etc.

Looking at that map, where are you supposed to park for these?

Sabby
10-04-2010, 01:34 PM
From Bar Harbor to home, I'm looking at about 7.5-8 hours

I would guess more like 10 - 11 hours

softball29
10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
I would guess more like 10 - 11 hours

When we went there four years ago, it was about 8 hours. It's about 500 miles from my house. If you average 70 miles an hour, that's about 7 hours. Figure a little quicker on interstates and slower on local highways, and it was about 8 hours with two brief stops.

I'm figuring 10-12 to get back because I'll be caching a bit along the way.

Waterski
10-04-2010, 06:21 PM
There are two caches at the breakwater area. I have one before the start of the breakwater, and the other is on the end. It is about a mile out to the end on uneven terrain with lots of gaps in the granite. Figure that time in if you are hiking out to the end. Prepare for some cold weather also out there if is is a windy day in the harbor. Have a great trip.

Ekidokai
10-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Somehow I missed the parking lot and followed a car right to behind one of the school buildings. I followed the GPSr from there and it was a very short trip in and out.