View Full Version : Geozoo Night Cache on 10-10-10

pjpreb
10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Thinking about doing the geozoo night cache after the 10-10-10 event - anyone in?

hollora
10-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Thinking about doing the geozoo night cache after the 10-10-10 event - anyone in?

You mean Dan's - I have never done it - will be too tuckered to go back to Portland - I would be in - Dan might even lead the attack again - he is coming to the Brewer event. Keep me posted or I will be going out of town on Sat. AM = let me know at the event.

Wicked Good Plan! And - if you want to do 2 in the area and haven't done mine - we can do a 2 fer!

brdad
10-08-2010, 07:19 AM
We have not done either of those night caches, but I am guessing it is not in the cards for us. Hopefully the event will be. We'll know better as the time gets nearer.

pjpreb
10-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Sounds like a plan - see you at the event tomorrow evening.

hollora
10-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Dang - missed this - did you do it?

EMSDanel
10-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Yup....they did

hollora
10-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Well, I will eventually get it - I was dang tired that night anyway.

we3beans
10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
We haven't done it either darlin'. should we make a plan?

masterson of the universe
10-12-2010, 01:14 PM
This whole series is great but the night cache just adds to the fun. When you go, take the time to enter the field on the left through the entry across from the pond looking spot. Walk about half way out into the field and if you are using a strong flashlight (mag's with focusable beams work best) scan the fields with the beam. I've been out three times and two of them, have been able to spot deer glaring back. There are some mucky spots just after the start of the firetack trail so make sure you wear shoes that you dont mind getting dirty. Have fun...

hollora
10-12-2010, 01:31 PM
We haven't done it either darlin'. should we make a plan?

Sounds like fun - but we gotta get it before hunting season.

10-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Not that night hunting is allowed, but for sure you want to be mindful. There is an enclosed tree stand in the second field about half way down on the right. You shouldnt have to go anywhere near that for the night cache though.

Fins_Up
10-12-2010, 02:03 PM
I have this on my watch list as one I have been wanting to do with my boys. Keep us posted on when you are going for this. It would most likely have to be a weekend for us as we are in Central Maine.

JustPJ66
10-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Illegal use of lights. From September 1 to December 15, it is unlawful to use artificial lights from 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before sunrise to illuminate, jack, locate, attempt to locate or show up wild animals or wild birds except raccoons which may be hunted at night with electric flashlights during the open season,

10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
My bad....I am not a hunter so I wasn't aware that spotting would be an issue while you're out with no weapons. With the cache being zoo related, hopefully no one gets in trouble for lighting up the cache container.

EMSDanel
10-12-2010, 05:56 PM
I'll spill the beans and tell you that the cache container is part of the zoo and is night related ;)

On these night caches it is always best to hold your flashlight high (above eye level) ..... that way the light reflecting off the fire tacks will bounce back to you instead of up into the sky... Happy Hunting!

JustKev
10-12-2010, 07:21 PM
My bad....I am not a hunter so I wasn't aware that spotting would be an issue while you're out with no weapons. With the cache being zoo related, hopefully no one gets in trouble for lighting up the cache container.

I've e-mailed the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife for clarification of the law as it would pertain to geocaching. I do know that you can get ticketed for illuminating a field with the headlights of your vehicle even if you don't hunt and don't even own a firearm from September 1 through December 15.

I don't know about anyone else but I won't be doing any night caches until I hear back from IF&W.

team barbieri
10-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Sounds like fun - but we gotta get it before hunting season.

:eek: When I started this game nobody told me that there is a hunting season on cachers.

brdad
10-12-2010, 08:07 PM
:eek: When I started this game nobody told me that there is a hunting season on cachers.

It's always been open season on me! :D

shuman road searchers
10-12-2010, 08:20 PM
It's always been open season on me! :D

But the bag limit is only 1!:D:p:D

hollora
10-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Illegal use of lights. From September 1 to December 15, it is unlawful to use artificial lights from 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before sunrise to illuminate, jack, locate, attempt to locate or show up wild animals or wild birds except raccoons which may be hunted at night with electric flashlights during the open season,

Not sure but I think one would be ok on private land with access by permission to use a light before deer season. I certainly can check with a game warden to be sure. As our purpose is not to "illuminate, jack, locate, attempt to locate or show up WILD ANIMALS OR WILD BIRDS.........etc." The purpose is to locate a Geocache.

And - as for my Night Cache - Night CACHING is ALLOWED! You will be on Private Property by permission with your flashlight walking on my land.

Ekidokai
10-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Get enough people together out there and the game wardens wont come anywhere near you.

we3beans
10-13-2010, 12:02 PM
What's working for you folks? We can do 23rd, or 30th if you want a weekend.

dufzor
10-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I can do either of those dates. Count me in!

hollora
10-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Get enough people together out there and the game wardens wont come anywhere near you.

Not the game wardens but I think you will find EMSDanel disables those caches during hunting season - at the LandOwners request.

hollora
10-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I think either works for me too - so far.

JustKev
10-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I got a response from the Warden Service.....here 'tis:

Mr. Grant,

I have consulted with Major Sanborn and what you are looking to do is
legal as long as you do no(t) illuminate wildlife. Feel free to contact me
if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
Susan Zayac
Maine Warden Service

Fins_Up
10-15-2010, 08:18 PM
We could probably do it on the 30th depending on the time.

cano
10-15-2010, 10:25 PM
You need to buy this first
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/cd85/

it's just $0.073 per lumen and if you get hungry you can make scrambled eggs with it :)

Fins_Up
10-15-2010, 10:44 PM
I think that may make the night sky too bright to see the firetracks.

Ekidokai
10-16-2010, 09:35 PM
It sure would. A nice head light is great. Not too strong batteries works even better.

pjpreb
10-19-2010, 09:44 PM
We headed for the night zoo after the 10/10/10 event. We parked near the road and took our flashlights and Chip out into the cold cold moonless dark dark (did I say dark?) night. The darkness sucked up our meager AAA flashlights like a black hole. We reached the end of the road and scanned the far reaches of the 2000 acre grassy field searching for the telltale fire tack. Did either of us think to bring a GPSr to find the trail head? Nope! A few more steps, more scanning, no fire tack. A few more steps and there it was. Not a fire tack but a large furry black animal (looked like the monster that kept me awake through all my childhood nightmares). :eek: I was wishing Chip was about 100 lbs bigger. What *was* that animal? Yours truly did not hang around to find out. I knew Pete wanted to find the cache but I was screaming like a girl and running the 8 miles back to the truck. Back in the truck and mildly annoyed Pete says "We could drive most of the way there" So off we drove down the road. Reaching the grassy field not even the headlights illuminated the fire tack. Pete followed tracks in the grass and inched closer to the edge of the woods and I saw the tack...right near 2 of the biggest porcupines I ever saw. Pete grabs his cell phone and he heads out to make the find and Chip and I hunkered down in the truck so the porcupines couldn't see us. Chip and I discussed what we would actually do if Pete actually called on the cell for help. Just as worry crept in and the porcupines were staring us down, he returned to the truck and we got outta Dodge.

So sorry we drove on your field EMSDaniel. I know that was not cool but that porcupine was HUGE!! It was COLD and DARK! and I am part chicken :o:eek:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D:) Thanks for a memorable cache!

JustKev
10-20-2010, 04:39 AM
So sorry we drove on your field EMSDaniel. I know that was not cool but that porcupine was HUGE!! It was COLD and DARK! and I am part chicken :o:eek:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D:) Thanks for a memorable cache!

I don't know what you're afraid of. All you have to do is stay upwind of the porcupines, they can't throw their quills upwind.

JustPJ66
10-20-2010, 04:42 AM
I don't know what you're afraid of. All you have to do is stay upwind of the porcupines, they can't throw their quills upwind.

Do i need a disclaimer on this statement? Things kevin says shouldnt be believed! LOL

JustKev
10-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Do i need a disclaimer on this statement? Things kevin says shouldnt be believed! LOL

....at night it's not the porcupines you need to worry about. Wild whiffletrees and side hill badgers come out at night. And, of course, tree squeaks are prevalent before midnight. :D

brdad
10-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Sheesh! She sleeps with Pete every night and she's worried about porcupines? :D

Sudonim
10-20-2010, 11:23 AM
and side hill badgers
I had to Google that one, good story!

Fins_Up
10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Is anybody up for going after this on 10/30?

Ekidokai
10-20-2010, 04:13 PM
I have already done it, but I'll go again. It will be new to me anyway.

shuman road searchers
10-20-2010, 06:21 PM
I just might be!

hollora
10-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Probably and if any of your haven't done mine you could do it after.

pjpreb
10-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Sheesh! She sleeps with Pete every night and she's worried about porcupines? :D

Ha!! Point well taken!!! :D:rolleyes::p Seriously though I wish more people had come with us. I really was uneasy in the woods in the pitch dark (did I mention how dark it was that night?). I spent the whole trek wishing I had a weapon and a bigger flashlight (like the one Dubord has)

shuman road searchers
10-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Dubord does not own a flashlight! The thing you are referring to is a sun from another galaxy!

pm28570
10-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Dubord does not own a flashlight! The thing you are referring to is a sun from another galaxy!

Actually, Dan no longer has this light. The Waterville airport requested it be returned to their rotating beacon.

shuman road searchers
10-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Actually, Dan no longer has this light. The Waterville airport requested it be returned to their rotating beacon.

That is good!!:D

we3beans
10-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Anybody pick a time for Saturday night? I'm hoping not too late so we can bring Bean 3.
6:30 - 7 pm work for anybody?

Ekidokai
10-28-2010, 10:46 AM
It gets dark quick and early so that sounds good.

Fins_Up
10-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Jim sent me an email today and we were hoping to do both of the night caches in the area. We could start just after 6:00 when the hunters must be out of the woods. Hopefully we could be at the second one not long after 6:30.

brdad
10-28-2010, 03:38 PM
If Lee is up to it, we may be game for this, we have not done either one.

shuman road searchers
10-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Finsup and i are going to start with Holloras cache around 6 and then go to the zoo. I suspect we would be there between 6:30 and 7. everyone is welcome to join us and I do not bite but I am not sure about Finsup!

dubord207
10-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Actually, the Waterville airport has a new TARP light so I can keep mine. I just got a golf ball size recharge of plutonium so the light should work good during hunting, woops, night caching! I'd like to make this outing but I have the dogs for the day. Di is getting an all expense paid day at the Mall in Portland as a reward for the party she threw here last weekend!:)

shuman road searchers
10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Di is getting an all expense paid day at the Mall in Portland as a reward for the party she threw here last weekend!:)

After that party,she deserves an all expense paid weekend!:D

shuman road searchers
10-28-2010, 07:44 PM
So as of now, it seems that finsup,myself and hollora are going. Hopefully more will show up so we can make this a pack of geocachers... or a gaggle of cachers.... or just a bunch of crazy cachers!

Fins_Up
10-28-2010, 08:55 PM
The boys and I are really looking forward to this. Sounds like a blast!

pjpreb
10-29-2010, 05:42 PM
So as of now, it seems that finsup,myself and hollora are going. Hopefully more will show up so we can make this a pack of geocachers... or a gaggle of cachers.... or just a bunch of crazy cachers!

There's safety in numbers! That's a scary place!! :eek::eek:

Ekidokai
10-30-2010, 11:50 AM
No it's not. Except for the dark and scary trees and scary creatures and scary lights, it's not scary.

No bugs this time of year, so no bug spray is needed.

shuman road searchers
10-30-2010, 02:59 PM
And if Mike stays home it really is NOT scary!

brdad
10-30-2010, 04:12 PM
We are still planning on coming...

umop3plsdn
10-30-2010, 04:39 PM
Sounds like fun.. I wanna go! =)

brdad
10-30-2010, 08:36 PM
We had a great time!

shuman road searchers
10-30-2010, 10:10 PM
We had a great time!

Just got home! Had a great time and will log tomorrow.

Fins_Up
10-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Awesome time! Thanks everyone! These two caches have been on my watchlist for months so when I saw this thread pop-up I knew we had to do it. The boys had a great time and slept most of the way home. I only slept part of the drive so I better get to bed ;-) Take care!

Ekidokai
10-30-2010, 11:07 PM
First, everyone check for ticks. They are the real small ones.

Was really impressed how great all the kids were.

Dan, please tell the owner of the land, I'm sorry I scared him. Thanks for the refreshments on our way out and for placing that cache in the first place and heal up already!

we3beans
11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Had a great time folks!
Thanks to Dan and Mike for taking good care of us and LoisAnn for the guided tour.