View Full Version : Delete or not delete, that is the question

dubord207
10-11-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm seeing a disturbing trend that is developing with a lot of new cachers. I have had a number of logs that say "Sent from my mobile device." I suppose some would do that to "mark" a found cache and later add more later, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I see. As a CO with a fair amount of hides and knowing the effort it takes to maintain these things, I think the post should be deleted because it doesn't indicate the cacher found the cache. I may be in the minority here, but I think that type of log is just plain rude. Curious what others think.:(

team barbieri
10-11-2010, 07:37 AM
How is that rude? They were so excited about your cache the logged it from ground zero.
They might be thinking hey I have been reading the forums and CO's are going to delete logs if you don't log it a certain way. I think that's just rude.

Two sides to every coin....i would not take it personaly.

JustKev
10-11-2010, 07:46 AM
I've seen that as the last line in a log or two or two dozen or .....

I don't think I'd delete the log unless that's all they ever put and there's no signature in the physical cache log as a definite. I don't have the capability to log from ground zero but even if I did I think I would, personally, send a log that didn't need editing later unless I was just too pressed for time. But, that's just me.

WhereRWe?
10-11-2010, 07:55 AM
I may be in the minority here, but I think that type of log is just plain rude. Curious what others think.:(

This discussion has occurred several times. If you think the person actually found the cache, leave the entry alone.

Obviously, as more and more people discover geocaching - and do it with their car-mounted GPSr, or their GPS enabled phone - we're going to see more and more entries like this. Geocaching has changed greatly over the years, and we're bound to see more changes.

I did some geocaching in Massachusetts the week I was there, and didn't see one GRC - the way geocaching USED TO BE in Maine...

JustKev
10-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Speaking of caching in Mass.....how's your supervisor doing?

dubord207
10-11-2010, 08:23 AM
I guess I don't feel the excitement from that type of post and I don't personally feel there's a right or wrong way to log a find but I won't back down on the manners taught to me by my parents which include thanking folks who do something for you. I know that's not required but most folks at least take the time for that part of it. I don't think people that log like that have enough energy to read these forums...too many keystrokes, have to log in and then scroll...nah, way too much work!:rolleyes:

How is that rude? They were so excited about your cache the logged it from ground zero.
They might be thinking hey I have been reading the forums and CO's are going to delete logs if you don't log it a certain way. I think that's just rude.

WhereRWe?
10-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Speaking of caching in Mass.....how's your supervisor doing?

Doing great, Thanks! :D:D

JustKev
10-11-2010, 08:30 AM
If you think logging with their phones with a generic line is disturbing you should see what I see nearly every day at work. Talk about disturbing trends.

JustPJ66
10-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Doing great, Thanks! :D:D

Great news! Tell her we say HI! then she can say "who?" LOL:D

JustKev
10-11-2010, 08:36 AM
If you think logging with their phones with a generic line is disturbing you should see what I see nearly every day at work. Talk about disturbing trends.

....that's just the management team. :eek:

Fins_Up
10-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I have seen some caches with very specific notes about how the CO would like things done. Perhaps including some instructions on logging the cache would deter this behavior.

JustKev
10-11-2010, 08:56 AM
I have seen some caches with very specific notes about how the CO would like things done. Perhaps including some instructions on logging the cache would deter this behavior.

All of dubord207's caches with the stipulation of better logs or he's going to show them a picture of Mapachi or Ekidokai.

:eek:

fins2right
10-11-2010, 09:10 AM
At least that's more fun to read that TFTC. I had a lot of people make finds yesterday (10-10-10) and 80% of them were boooring!

JustPJ66
10-11-2010, 09:14 AM
At least that's more fun to read that TFTC. I had a lot of people make finds yesterday (10-10-10) and 80% of them were boooring!
hey wait.....we logged some caches of yours:rolleyes::rolleyes:

dubord207
10-11-2010, 09:22 AM
5 cache finds by one cacher, I won't say the name, don't know them, they're still very new with only a 100 or so finds, all in one day and word for word: " Did some caching in the rain today. Didn't SL so it didn't get soaked." (not on my caches)

Or this one "Quick find. Didn't sign log." When I inquired if there was a problem with the cache I got a not so nice response that this cacher had a hard time signing the tiny logs on nanos! Really? I think that's probably the case for most of us!!!

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here. With over 80 caches out there I think it may be informative to understand why I have some mixed feelings about putting out anymore. While I agree with Bruce that some caches just don't provide a whole lot of inspiration for lengthy logs, ALL at least deserve a thanks, an indication that the cache was found and an indication that the log was signed unless there was a very LEGITIMATE reason the log couldn't be signed. IMHO

JustKev
10-11-2010, 09:28 AM
I would be inclined to delete an online log that said they didn't sign the physical log but I might e-mail that cacher first and let them know the guidelines say you have to sign the physical log in order to log online. We did one cache last spring that we logged online and stated in that log that we were going back to log once the ice had a chance to melt since the cache was frozen in place and we were afraid we'd break the container if we forced it out.

Cachers who won't sign logs in the rain shouldn't go caching in the rain, IMHO.

WhereRWe?
10-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Cachers who won't sign logs in the rain shouldn't go caching in the rain, IMHO.

Sheesh! Why would ANYONE want to go geocaching in the rain?

:confused::confused:

HappyTogether
10-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Sheesh! Why would ANYONE want to go geocaching in the rain?

Its the only time we are not working on the honey do list?

Sabby
10-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey, how hard is it to hold the log so it stays dry while you sign it?

If you don't sign, don't log it as a find!

As for the "Sent from my Iphone" I think it is automatically added by the app when you send it. At least it appears to be when I use my Itouch. Even with it I include a comment and thanks when I log.

brdad
10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I maintain if they found the cache and signed the log, they deserve the log. I can't say as I like the idea either, but I didn't like the micro spew when it came to town either. A quick search of the forums will reveal I didn't like a lot of the "new ways" of caching either. This is exactly the argument I have against "let everyone cache the way they want to" theory. It's the natural progression of the sport - In most circumstances we see the ideal image of geocaching as what it was when we first started. About all that can be done is promote what you think is best for the sport when you have the chance to do so.

Welcome to the crotchety old cachers club,Dan! :p

cano
10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
5 cache finds by one cacher, I won't say the name, don't know them, they're still very new with only a 100 or so finds, all in one day and word for word: " Did some caching in the rain today. Didn't SL so it didn't get soaked." (not on my caches)

Or this one "Quick find. Didn't sign log." When I inquired if there was a problem with the cache I got a not so nice response that this cacher had a hard time signing the tiny logs on nanos! Really? I think that's probably the case for most of us!!!

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here. With over 80 caches out there I think it may be informative to understand why I have some mixed feelings about putting out anymore. While I agree with Bruce that some caches just don't provide a whole lot of inspiration for lengthy logs, ALL at least deserve a thanks, an indication that the cache was found and an indication that the log was signed unless there was a very LEGITIMATE reason the log couldn't be signed. IMHO

Don't worry in the next software update "Sent from my mobile device" will be replaced with "Great cache, had a lot of fun finding it. Thank you for the cache" that should fix your problem.

tat
10-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Here's a link to the Knowledge Book page on logging:

http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204

Fins_Up
10-11-2010, 12:48 PM
I did 50 caches in the rain on the car series. I signed every log and managed to keep them dry even if it meant taking them back to the truck and taking extra time. I also had an individual log entry for each (no serial logs). If you like the sport and enjoy finding the caches you should enjoy letting your fellow cachers know that you appreciate the time and effort they put into hiding the cache.

Ekidokai
10-11-2010, 01:26 PM
It all depends on how you look at things. Like art, beauty in in the eye of the beholder.

I got into this for two reasons. First, the fun of hunting, finding and stealthily signing the cache. If no one sees me. I feel successful.

Second, I put out caches and trackables for others to find and enjoy. If all I get s SL or TNLN, fine. That shows to anyone looking through the logs what kind of person signed the log. It is all on the person signing the log. If they don't want to or have not the ambition or ability to put more or leave thanks, then so be it.

On my first cache I have gotten some great feedback along with the just SL posts. I like the kudos better than the very limited logs but that's the way it goes. People are different. Sometimes I look at the persons profile to see where they are from, what they have put out and what kinds of trackables they have been involved with. The SL posters seem to have very little to show except for numbers, or you can discover they are very limited in their writing and computer skills. I know several people that are very limited both physically and mentally where signing the physical logs and writing a flowery thank you letter is just beyond them.

I find the caches for me.

I put the caches and trackables out for every one else.

I only expect that people have fun, nothing else.

dubord207
10-11-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't take it personally, and I'm sure you were kidding when you suggested that the "Sent from mobile device" log was an expression of excitement. And I'm not suggesting for a second that there's a right and wrong way to log caches. I've deleted a grand total of 4 logs since I started placing caches, not a lot and I didn't get a kick out it, trust me. But two of the logs were bogus and two actually were "rude" for lack of better term.

The CO's that have posted to this thread that have placed caches know what this is all about....courtesy, manners and maybe even an inkling of appreciation shown in the log. Thankfully, the majority of the logs fall into those categories. If this thread "enlightens" some of the new cachers that those of us that place caches automatically receive each and every log, then maybe a bit more effort might be expended when logging.

WhereRWe?
10-11-2010, 02:08 PM
If you like the sport and enjoy finding the caches you should enjoy letting your fellow cachers know that you appreciate the time and effort they put into hiding the cache.

Exactly! The time and effort put into writing my my logs is directly proportional to the time and effort put into hiding the cache. LOL! ;);)

dubord207
10-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I was just reading all the wonderful logs of those fortunate enough to have participated in Amazing Geo Rally. Pat, Bobbi the Bold, Di and I had a blast, pure and simple, just plain fun! And while we gave it our all, we bow in tribute to Kendra and her group for their amazing tally! Over $4200 was raised for the Catch-A-Dream Foundation which will send a terminally ill child on a trip of a lifetime.

So the cache is GC1ZMXZ. Here's a log by one of the participants, speaking for himself and not the rest of his team: "Was there bright and early....Maybe if there was a little less talk at these things, we could do more CACHING? Just a thought.." Guess who? Unfortunately, I saw him live and on the trails so he found some caches but this is the type of poor taste log that's not good for the game.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Haffy
10-11-2010, 04:37 PM
The way I see it and the only way , if you don't sign the log then you don't get credit for it ,PERIOD!!!. Delete the the log!!!
There is no excuse for just plain laziness.

WhereRWe?
10-11-2010, 04:48 PM
So the cache is GC1ZMXZ. Here's a log by one of the participants, speaking for himself and not the rest of his team: "Was there bright and early....Maybe if there was a little less talk at these things, we could do more CACHING? Just a thought.." Guess who? Unfortunately, I saw him live and on the trails so he found some caches but this is the type of poor taste log that's not good for the game.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

LOL! Just read the log entry... :D:D

WhereRWe?
10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
The way I see it and the only way , if you don't sign the log then you don't get credit for it ,PERIOD!!!. Delete the the log!!!
There is no excuse for just plain laziness.

We always read the past log entries in CacheMate before we start looking for a cache, and we usually won't attempt a cache if the last 3-4 logs have been DNF's. So we usually take note of the who "last cacher" to find the cache was.

I have to admit that lately I've seen quite a number of written logs where the "last cacher" on the online logs IS NOT the "last cacher" in the written logs - i.e., there is no log entry for that person.

dubord207
10-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I know that you at least always indicate you signed the log and in keeping with the gentleman I know you to be, you thank the cache placer. Even curmudgeon's can be polite!:)

Exactly! The time and effort put into writing my my logs is directly proportional to the time and effort put into hiding the cache. LOL! ;);)

brdad
10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I have a few caches I have logged only a smiley on, a few I have logged "Yet another guardrail I would not have known about for caching", And a few not great logs other than mentioning the dump in the surrounding area, but I think that is better than being totally disrespectful. I think for anyone that hides a cache at a location that appears to have little value than the smiley, a hider does risk getting these logs as Bruce suggested. It is unfortunate to see a nice cache get a bad log, especially if it is unwarranted.

WhereRWe?
10-11-2010, 05:34 PM
It is unfortunate to see a nice cache get a bad log, especially if it is unwarranted.

This I fully agree with. :D:D

Team2hunt
10-11-2010, 06:07 PM
While I have only deleted one log, ( due to fact the cacher trashed me and my cache, and after a chance to edit the log I deleted it ). I could care less who or how people log my caches. I have seen the " logged from my portable device ", TFTC, and even the smiley, ( thanks brdad ) :p. I do not check my log books to see if they have visited or not, including the nice family that noticed the log on the ground that later turned out to be trash, and signed it to log their find. I let the log stand, and let the finder make the choice of whether they want to claim the find or not. I've seen people intend to write a note and double log the find and even the occasional DNF log with a smiley. So what! :) my day goes on and the sun is till shining.

dubord207
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
So I guess "who cares" might be the best approach?

Thanks for the posts...thought provoking as always. I put 4 new very different caches together this afternoon that I hope you all enjoy.

Team2hunt
10-11-2010, 06:31 PM
so i guess "who cares" might be the best approach?

Thanks for the posts...thought provoking as always. I put 4 new very different caches together this afternoon that i hope you all enjoy.

tftc......

dubord207
10-11-2010, 06:41 PM
tftc......

No more Bloody's for you! lol:D

brdad
10-11-2010, 07:22 PM
.... and even the smiley, ( thanks brdad ) :p. ....

Ha, I had to check, I have never logged only a smiley on one of your caches.

I think you have to weigh the "who cares" approach, but it probably should be your first instinct. And most of the time, a first instinct is correct. But not always!

LOL While looking through my logs, I found this one on a cache in Vermont:

:) 9/18/2008 by brdad
Cache was quick, this log is too. :)

The name of the cache was Quick Cache 1, I guess I felt I owed a few words for a rather mundane cache - after all, given the name I can't say I wasn't warned!

pm28570
10-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Really no opinion Dan on your question. However, a few comments.

I am disturbed, but happy to see......Haffy and Bruce agreeing on points. Wow. What the heck is up with that?

As many have said, I really enjoy reading the logs on my placed caches and I would agree that as time goes on and more enter the activity, the quality of the logs is not what it once was. Perhaps the cacher did not have a mentor....perhaps they are logging on the move with a phone app.....or they really don't care.
Again, I echo those who have said, the quality of the log is directly proportional to the quality of the cache. My 707/KC-135 cache is a park & grab, placed when there was only one "7" cache in southern Maine, thus enabling cachers in Central Maine an option for the Alpha-Numeric challenge. On the other hand, my Bennet/Wilson gets the fewest visits, but the best logs. Guess that happens when you combine a covered bridge, a cemetery and outstanding views. Oh....it's a micro too.

The more I think about, if the log is signed....while you don't like the log....is not a reason to delete it. Now.....didn't sign the log 'cause you didn't want to get out of the car? As Bruce would say...."Sheesh!"

fins2right
10-11-2010, 08:03 PM
hey wait.....we logged some caches of yours:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Your logs were by far the most entertaining of the day! I was so mad that I was stuck on a 6 am. to 6 pm. shift. (So I took it out on speeders :rolleyes:) by the time I got home, spent time with the kids, had dinner ect. I fell asleep. As soon as I strike it rich............:)

Fins_Up
10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I agree with a point that pm28570 made about having a good mentor. Dan replied to our logs on the Yorktown series early on in our involvement in caching. He indicated he was impressed that we made an effort to log each one individually and tell about our experience with that cache. That encouraged me to continue to do that on every cache that I have logged since. I think positive encouragement from someone with more experience goes a long way. If you know that someone notices and enjoys your logs you will probably make good log entries. I learned from my experience and always reply to someone who makes an effort to tell me about their experience on one of my caches.

shuman road searchers
10-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I guess my opinion is that if you enjoy reading quality logs on your hides than you should write quality logs on other cachers hides but just because a specific cacher(s) writes TFTC or leaves just a smiley does not mean that you should do the same to there hide. Once again, if you like receiving quality logs then you should write quality logs.I do enjoy reading the logs and I try and return the favor. The SMR series was tough but i refuse to serial log!
When I replace a log on one of my hides I do check it to see if all that have claimed it as a find have signed the log. I have yet to find someone claiming it and not signing for it. I do however have one to check on as the last finder claims that they could not open it.I will let my wife try and open it and if she can than I may be tempted.

JustKev
10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
So I guess "who cares" might be the best approach?

Thanks for the posts...thought provoking as always. I put 4 new very different caches together this afternoon that I hope you all enjoy.

...near me and then run interference so fins_up can't FTF them on me.

:eek:

JustKev
10-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Your logs were by far the most entertaining of the day! I was so mad that I was stuck on a 6 am. to 6 pm. shift. (So I took it out on speeders :rolleyes:) by the time I got home, spent time with the kids, had dinner ect. I fell asleep. As soon as I strike it rich............:)

You need to log on to geocachingmaine.org on the days you're mad and "taking it out on speeders" and warn your fellow cachers so they can at least observe the posted limit or go around Oakland. Of course, if we go around Oakland we'll miss your caches there. :D

team barbieri
10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't take it personally, and I'm sure you were kidding when you suggested that the "Sent from mobile device" log was an expression of excitement. And I'm not suggesting for a second that there's a right and wrong way to log caches. I've deleted a grand total of 4 logs since I started placing caches, not a lot and I didn't get a kick out it, trust me. But two of the logs were bogus and two actually were "rude" for lack of better term.

I just want you to know that I do NOT disagree with you on being upset if someone is rude in their log or did not actually sign the log book. When t cache is interesting I try to put it in my logs. I also always try to say thank you even if it is "TFTC" and not written out. but sometimes I really do not know what to say in the log on some caches and I just put down what it was " a quick P&G TFTC" but I always sign the acuall log on every cache we have done except for one that was stuck and we could not get it out of the hole but the CO told us to go ahead and log it as a find.

I was just saying in my first post that there are to sides to every coin.:)

Mapachi
10-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Some cachers are so dry and uninspired, that I'd just as soon get a TFTC

WhereRWe?
10-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Got this log entry on one of our caches when when I logged on this morning:

"This is the kind of cache that got me hooked on geocaching in the first place. It took me to a place I had never been, and the trip was completely worth it. The smiley was icing on the cake. TNLN, TFTC!"

Now that's an a\entry to make you feel good. :D:D

brdad
10-12-2010, 07:10 AM
And that was on one of your LPC caches, Bruce? :rolleyes:

brdad
10-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Some cachers are so dry and uninspired, that I'd just as soon get a TFTC

That is true, and my degree of inspiration varies as well. A few days on power runs when I have gotten 10 or 11 caches and maybe all them them were great but I'm so beat or focused on something else my mind just can't come up with the words. I might be better off to wait until the next day, but I like to try and log the day I find the caches.

But lack of inspiration should not affect how respectful a log is, only the length and possibly content.

Sudonim
10-12-2010, 09:06 AM
That is true, and my degree of inspiration varies as well. A few days on power runs when I have gotten 10 or 11 caches and maybe all them them were great but I'm so beat or focused on something else my mind just can't come up with the words. I might be better off to wait until the next day, but I like to try and log the day I find the caches.

But lack of inspiration should not affect how respectful a log is, only the length and possibly content.

I agree with this one. You may have a book to write about your find, or not have much to say about a cache, but respect that a fellow cacher put one out for you to find and at least be polite.

surfacewarrior
10-12-2010, 05:18 PM
I am new to Geocaching and was only told how to find the websight over breakfast once back in the spring. Also just found this site a couple of weeks ago in the paper. until now I thought that I needed to keep my log entry's as short as possible to (1) not clog up the logs and (2) not give away any clues for future cacher's. For everyone who's caches I have found this summer I would like to let them know that this has been one of the Best summer's for me since me and my Father-in-law quit going for daylong rides through the back woods a few years ago. If he was still around he would love Geocaching I am sure. While I have not placed any caches yet I do plan to in the future so I will be able to fully enjoy everypart of this great past time.

brdad
10-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the site and the addiction, surfacewarrior!

It is usually bad form to give away cache locations or hiding styles, but most any cache owner would love to have a log that rivals the rest. There is probably no need to talk about your Aunt Edna's bursitis, but anything pertaining to the cache is great.

Post all you like here, too - the more input from more cachers makes the site more fun and informative.

JustKev
10-12-2010, 07:40 PM
I am new to Geocaching and was only told how to find the websight over breakfast once back in the spring. Also just found this site a couple of weeks ago in the paper. until now I thought that I needed to keep my log entry's as short as possible to (1) not clog up the logs and (2) not give away any clues for future cacher's. For everyone who's caches I have found this summer I would like to let them know that this has been one of the Best summer's for me since me and my Father-in-law quit going for daylong rides through the back woods a few years ago. If he was still around he would love Geocaching I am sure. While I have not placed any caches yet I do plan to in the future so I will be able to fully enjoy everypart of this great past time.

My wife and I picked up the hobby/game to have something else to do together. My dad and I used to do a lot of hunting and fishing together. I'm sure he would have enjoyed geocaching if he'd taken time to try it out a little more. My sister introduced him to it several years ago but by then his health was such that he wasn't interested. He would have had the best GPS out there if he had been in better health.

team barbieri
10-12-2010, 07:58 PM

The first cache that I took my Mom and Dad out on he fell in the woods and hurt his shoulder. That just gave him time to get his own GPS'r while it heeled and now they are both hooked. It is a great way to spend time with family and the geocaching community here in maine is a great one. I have met wonderful people from everywhere and the ones on this forum have a wealth of information that they just cant wait to share. DO welcome to the community and if you ever have a question just through a post on here and I'm sure you will get your answer... and maybe a little more info than what you were looking for:D

Mainiac1957
10-13-2010, 06:43 AM
Caching in NH this week I found a fairly good hide, but found the coords were about 60 feet off. Several other finders also wrote the same things in their logs. So I posted my coords on my log saying good things about the hide, etc. I got an e-mail from the hider telling me they would like me to delete the coords so it would not make the cache to easy to find. If I didn't the coords they would delete my log and I would have to re-log the find. I did and rewrote the log as "Found". I really should have forwarded that e-mail to Groundspeak, but you can't fix stupid. I will just drive by that hiders caches from now on that's all. Plenty more here to find.

brdad
10-13-2010, 06:55 AM
I have heard of that being done - posting incorrect coords solely to make the hide tougher. From the guidelines:

Step 3 - Placing Your Cache

Once you arrive at the location of your hide, it is critical to obtain accurate GPS coordinates. This is the very heart of the activity, after all. Be aware that during bad weather, the accuracy of the GPS unit may be poor.

Some GPS units have the ability to take an average set of coordinates. If your device cannot, it is best to mark a waypoint, walk away from the location, then return and mark another waypoint. Continue marking waypoints at the location, around 7 - 10 times, and then select the best waypoint. Learn How to Average a Waypoint.

Once you have your waypoint, write it in permanent marker on the container and in the logbook. Make sure you have a copy to bring back with you. Write a few notes in the logbook if you like, place it in a zippered plastic bag for extra protection, and place it in the cache container.

Bad coords are a possibility in this game, intentionally bad coords are not in the design. I would have left my coords in the log and added that clause. If your valid log is deleted, gc.com can bring it back (deleted logs never go away, they just get hidden from view.)

The best DNFs are when you are on top of the cache and still fail. Hiders need to use their imagination if they want to hide a tougher cache, not bad coords.

EDIT: I should have added to be otherwise nice in the log; just state the facts - be clear and concise. No need to name call or be otherwise rude.

JustKev
10-13-2010, 07:02 AM
I have heard of that being done - posting incorrect coords solely to make the hide tougher. From the guidelines:

Bad coords are a possibility in this game, intentionally bad coords are not in the design. I would have left my coords in the log and added that clause. If your valid log is deleted, gc.com can bring it back (deleted logs never go away, they just get hidden from view.)

I think coords that are intentionally off by that distance are just wrong. I'd do just as you suggest here and contact gc.com if/when the CO deletes the log.

Ekidokai
10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Intentional posting a bad set of coordinates is just ridiculous.

fins2right
10-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Seriously? Someone would put in bad coords just to make a cache harder? I have a neat idea....Make the cache harder to find by camo or other means. :mad::mad::mad: Of course, I had a drunk teen vomit on my new Keen workshoes today, so I"m in a hateful kind of mood. (On a totally unrelated note, these Keen's have to be the most comfortable work shoe I've ever had. Just because I look like I'm wearing shoe's from Lord of the Ring's means nothing) :)

Maybe someone should simply move the cache to the coords listed, see if they like that.

That being said, I did really screw up the coords on a cache I planted last year and after a few days went back to see what I screwed up. Turns out that I was 110 feet off. (Hey it was cloudy) :rolleyes: I fixed it as fast as I could.

JustKev
10-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Seriously? Someone would put in bad coords just to make a cache harder? I have a neat idea....Make the cache harder to find by camo or other means. :mad::mad::mad: Of course, I had a drunk teen vomit on my new Keen workshoes today, so I"m in a hateful kind of mood. (On a totally unrelated note, these Keen's have to be the most comfortable work shoe I've ever had. Just because I look like I'm wearing shoe's from Lord of the Ring's means nothing) :)

Maybe someone should simply move the cache to the coords listed, see if they like that.

That being said, I did really screw up the coords on a cache I planted last year and after a few days went back to see what I screwed up. Turns out that I was 110 feet off. (Hey it was cloudy) :rolleyes: I fixed it as fast as I could.

....RALPH? :eek:

Mainiac1957
10-14-2010, 05:58 AM
It was a clever hide all on it's own. Rather than get into a conflict I simply changed my log to "Found it" from the nice glowing report I had originally. The CO didn't say they did or did not post incorrect coords to me personally or on the cache page. Whatever. There are more than enough caches over here that I don't need to find any more of theirs.

Mapachi
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm a Bad boy!:rolleyes:
GC1BORF
The cache is in plain sight on one side or the other of the bridge.;)
I took the coords in the center.:p
SHOOT ME!:eek:
I love these little faces!:) They're cool!:cool:

JustKev
10-14-2010, 07:37 PM
It was a clever hide all on it's own. Rather than get into a conflict I simply changed my log to "Found it" from the nice glowing report I had originally. The CO didn't say they did or did not post incorrect coords to me personally or on the cache page. Whatever. There are more than enough caches over here that I don't need to find any more of theirs.

.....your log could have said, "Found it, even without corrected coords."

hollora
10-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Well, Ralph and I met/found some wonderful friends thanks to corrected coordinates! ;);):D:D

Davidson 7
10-17-2010, 08:54 PM
I just deleted 12 duplicate "sent from my mobile device" logs on Memories of Aefuss #4 (GC1BRC1). I left one log on the page. My next time through the area I will be taking a drive up and checking the cache to make sure the log book is signed. I view the log on the cache page as feedback and a chance to thank the cache owner. Granted, there have been times that I haven't added a lot of notes, for example the big cache run we did on the Stud Mill Rd, but overall I appreciate the personalization. Frankly, it's also how Aefuss taught me to cache--take the time to say thank you and personalize it, it will mean a lot to the cache owner. I can say, without a doubt, I don't like the "sent from my mobile device" garbage. That, to me, is NOT a log. :mad:

team barbieri
10-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I just deleted 12 duplicate "sent from my mobile device" logs on Memories of Aefuss #4 (GC1BRC1). I left one log on the page. My next time through the area I will be taking a drive up and checking the cache to make sure the log book is signed. I view the log on the cache page as feedback and a chance to thank the cache owner. Granted, there have been times that I haven't added a lot of notes, for example the big cache run we did on the Stud Mill Rd, but overall I appreciate the personalization. Frankly, it's also how Aefuss taught me to cache--take the time to say thank you and personalize it, it will mean a lot to the cache owner. I can say, without a doubt, I don't like the "sent from my mobile device" garbage. That, to me, is NOT a log. :mad:

We logged some caches today from our phone on the groundspeak app and it duplicated them every time we logged another cache. I had to go back and delete the duplicates and noticed it did the same thing from another cacher so I sent them a PM and they also was using the groundspeak app for their phone. This has only happened the last couple of days. Dont know if its a glitch or what.:confused:

hollora
10-17-2010, 09:06 PM
We logged some caches today from our phone on the groundspeak app and it duplicated them every time we logged another cache. I had to go back and delete the duplicates and noticed it did the same thing from another cacher so I sent them a PM and they also was using the groundspeak app for their phone. This has only happened the last couple of days. Dont know if its a glitch or what.:confused:

You went back to delete - that is a testiment to being responsible. I am sure the cache owners appreciate it. Glitches do happen.

Davidson 7
10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
I agree, and barbieri you also took an extra minute and actually wrote a note for the caches you found. ;)

Ekidokai
10-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm glad you added a link because I had not seen this before. I will probably send an email along to anyone that leaves something like that, asking what they thought of the cache and area and ask them to add that to the log.

brdad
10-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Remind me to log any future logs on Mike's caches as "Sent from my home computer." :p

I'm sure with a bit of hacking of the phone some of these automated logs could be edited.

You could make them say "Had a great time at this one, loved the location. nice hide. Great weather to be out. Found this with no trouble. TFTC TNLN." Sure, it's a lot nicer log, but it's still fake and as soon as the personality is removed from logs personality is removed from the game. While either log is a legal find log, I'd hate to see the game go in this direction. So, set a good example!

team barbieri
10-18-2010, 09:36 PM
The logs we do from our phone are written just the same as you do on your computer at home. You can write as much or as little as you want. But some reason every time we posted a log the other day it would post a log to all the ones we did earlier so after 8 caches the first one of the day had 8 duplicate logs and for some reason it counted each of them as an unique find:confused: I had to delete alot of logs and then I noticed that it happened to someone else so I PM them and they wrote back thanking me and they deleted quite a few as well. Hope this is just a fluke or I will have to stop logging with that APP. although it really helped the numbers:D

Fins_Up
10-18-2010, 09:45 PM
It could be a change the Geocaching.com made. I had an issue a while ago where I could not submit field notes. I thought it was something with my PN-40 but what happened is the Geocaching.com changed something on the website and it would not accept a blank field note any longer. I had to add something in there as a placeholder and then it worked fine.

EMSDanel
10-18-2010, 11:41 PM
We did one cache last spring that we logged online and stated in that log that we were going back to log once the ice had a chance to melt since the cache was frozen in place and we were afraid we'd break the container if we forced it out.

Aren't you nice! I had a log on one of my caches that said it was frozen in and they had to use a hammer to smash it open to gain access to the log. I couldn't believe it.

Ekidokai
10-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Aren't you nice! I had a log on one of my caches that said it was frozen in and they had to use a hammer to smash it open to gain access to the log. I couldn't believe it.

It probably was that rabbit one that was frozen in when I found it.

I would have deleted that log.

pm28570
10-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Remind me to log any future logs on Mike's caches as "Sent from my home computer." :p

.....gonna do the SMR, eh? :)

brdad
10-19-2010, 08:53 AM
.....gonna do the SMR, eh? :)

We almost went that way from Chick Hill last week, but it was either SMR or back route 9 and have lunch at the Eagles Nest. Eagles nest won! :p

We'll get up to the SMR and do 3 or 4 someday...

JustKev
10-19-2010, 03:39 PM
We almost went that way from Chick Hill last week, but it was either SMR or back route 9 and have lunch at the Eagles Nest. Eagles nest won! :p

We'll get up to the SMR and do 3 or 4 someday...

Is the Eagles Nest still run by the blind couple?

brdad
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Is the Eagles Nest still run by the blind couple?

I didn't realize it ever was. Perhaps someone else knows. All I know it's a great place to stop to eat once in a while. Award winning lobster rolls and portions are big enough for any appetite. Pretty darn good peanut butter pie, too!

shuman road searchers
10-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Pretty darn good peanut butter pie, too!

I do not care what others say about you. If you like peanut butter pie you can not be all bad!:D

WhereRWe?
10-19-2010, 06:05 PM
I do not care what others say about you. If you like peanut butter pie you can not be all bad!:D

Sheesh! If only he drank beer, he'd be an "OK" guy! LOL! ;);)

brdad
10-24-2010, 08:02 AM
I've finally gotten one of these logs on one of my caches "sent from a mobile device" and it has reminded me of one issue with the process, but it is more of a gc.com shortfall than a problem with the cache finder.

In this particular case the finder noted it would be edited at a later date. The problem lies in the fact cache owners never get notified when a log gets edited (or even when pictures get added.) I don't often check the actual cache pages of my hides when I get finds, I just read the email. When I do I realize things have been edited or nice pictures added and I didn't realize.

So I can see where logging from your phone does give you a good time stamp of when you found the cache and keeps your finds in order - which I am anal about, I have been known to delete 20 logs to go back and re-log a cache I missed so they can all be in order. But at the same time, if you are logging this way and editing later, the cache owner may be missing out on some of the details of your log until if and when they check it online.

BTW, six days and I'm still waiting for my updated log. :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

kayaking loon
10-24-2010, 05:39 PM
I didn't realize it ever was. Perhaps someone else knows. All I know it's a great place to stop to eat once in a while. Award winning lobster rolls and portions are big enough for any appetite. Pretty darn good peanut butter pie, too!

I really like the Eagle's Nest! Nice view too...

surfacewarrior
10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
mapachi , I have to tell you about werewolf. me and my nephew did it and he had a great time. it was his first real geocache the other was a park and grab in topsham. but the real story is that my wife and I were walking the trail a couple of weeks later and got to the ledges as it was getting dark . I told her "lets go it is getting dark" and she say's something about there not being any goust out there. and as soon as I said they were not what I was thinking about she remembered reading your discription of placing the geocache there. I have never seen her move down the trail so fast (after smacking me as she went pastand wanting to know "why did you have to remind me of that") she heard noises behind every bush on the was down. you sure added some excitement to that followup trip to the parker pond hikes for us now. thanks.

LaughingTerry
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM

I left a log that the cache was too hard to find in the rocks so painted it orange so other cachers wouldn't have such a hard time. Of course it was April Fools Day. LOL

WhereRWe?
10-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I left a log that the cache was too hard to find in the rocks so painted it orange so other cachers wouldn't have such a hard time. Of course it was April Fools Day. LOL

Sheesh! We absolutely HATE caches in stone walls/stone bridge abutments, etc. There are SO many places you have to look.

(Of course - there have been a lot of DNF's on our "Arnold's Landing (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c36d657c-567c-4e50-b3fc-6c1e15fcfb3a)" cache - which is "in the rocks"! LOL!

JustKev
10-25-2010, 06:38 PM

That said I'd found the cache container and it was missing the paper log so I put one in it. Of course, the cache owner had said in the cache listing if you didn't sign the physical log your online log would be deleted. He had a batch of false caches there. :eek:

Ekidokai
10-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I recently visited a cache that was on my list and doing some research prior to the hunt made it even more intriguing.

I met up with a neighbor and she brought me right to where the cache had been. She told me it had been missing for about two years. There has got to be 30 logs since the cache went missing from it's hiding spot.

What is happening is that even the cache is listed as regular, blue topped Tupperware container. People are finding a small lock-n-lock, painted brown about 70 feet from the coordinates. It is a letterbox with the name of a book on the cover.

It is really laughable reading the logs and knowing that the people are just completely missing all the clues. For two tears non the less.

Do you think all those logs should be deleted?

JustKev
10-25-2010, 08:54 PM
I recently visited a cache that was on my list and doing some research prior to the hunt made it even more intriguing.

I met up with a neighbor and she brought me right to where the cache had been. She told me it had been missing for about two years. There has got to be 30 logs since the cache went missing from it's hiding spot.

What is happening is that even the cache is listed as regular, blue topped Tupperware container. People are finding a small lock-n-lock, painted brown about 70 feet from the coordinates. It is a letterbox with the name of a book on the cover.

It is really laughable reading the logs and knowing that the people are just completely missing all the clues. For two tears non the less.

Do you think all those logs should be deleted?

The logs should be deleted and the cache archived if the owner isn't maintaining it or has left the caching world.

brdad
10-25-2010, 09:00 PM
I emailed a few finders on Old470 whose log sounded like they had found the letterbox instead of the cache. IIRC, they deleted their logs and went back and found it later. Gotta love honesty. I figured it was best to talk with them before just deleting the logs.

WhereRWe?
10-26-2010, 07:13 AM
I figured it was best to talk with them before just deleting the logs.

When Brdad speaks, people LISTEN! LOL!

ltlindian
10-26-2010, 10:10 AM
wow, that makes me think then about my cache. I had a few dnf's on it and then before I got a chance to go check on it, it was found again and logged by 4 different people. So I assumed that it was still there and the others just hadn't found it. Well, then it was not found again so I went to replace it. Maybe it had been missing all that time and people were just finding the letterbox that is nearby.... hmm....

LaughingTerry
10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
After I placed one of mine (micro) someone placed a letterbox about 2 ft from it. People were logging the letterbox as the cache. I made a sticker for the letterbox that said "this is not Spelunky" and people still log it as the cache. LOL

robt
10-31-2010, 11:53 PM

The best DNFs are when you are on top of the cache and still fail. Hiders need to use their imagination if they want to hide a tougher cache, not bad coords.

EDIT: I should have added to be otherwise nice in the log; just state the facts - be clear and concise. No need to name call or be otherwise rude.

It is good to make some hard to find. I have one that I had to DNF when I was checking on it. :)